Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Too early to write him off. If SAF had listened to the talking heads Fletcher might not be a red now.

I don't see how he deserves to be written off. He basically comes in, does a decent job and scores with comforting regularity for a midfield player...

I'm astonished that he divides opinion this much. I must admit, at the very beginning, I was of the opinion that he wouldn't make it at United. This was based on the logic that he is a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none sort of player. But if you look at his scoring ratio, it's really fecking impressive. Look at the career Lampard has had in just been a pretty good all round footballer and an outstanding goalscorer. And Gibson's goals aren't just flukes - they're brilliant strikes. He's more prolific than any of our other central midfield players and as such is well worth his place in the first team squad. We need to actually give him a chance to mature and bring his game up further - if you look at his record, he has still had relatively little first team football at United.

I don't see how he deserves to be written off. He basically comes in, does a decent job and scores with comforting regularity for a midfield player...

I'm astonished that he divides opinion this much. I must admit, at the very beginning, I was of the opinion that he wouldn't make it at United. This was based on the logic that he is a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none sort of player. But if you look at his scoring ratio, it's really fecking impressive. Look at the career Lampard has had in just been a pretty good all round footballer and an outstanding goalscorer. And Gibson's goals aren't just flukes - they're brilliant strikes. He's more prolific than any of our other central midfield players and as such is well worth his place in the first team squad. We need to actually give him a chance to mature and bring his game up further - if you look at his record, he has still had relatively little first team football at United.

This.

I mean, people are writing off just because he isn't the new Ronaldo type or new Roy Keane type, oh please... Gibson has done well this season FFS, has scored some crucial goals, and yes has missed some shots, but balantly saying he isn't our quality because he played poorly in a few matches is wrong. He certainly has the quality, at least he has the confidence to shoot like Scholes, hasn't done POORLY in passing, he has played some great passes, he has some positioning to work on which FFS, he's 22 and Anderson also has the same problem.

Also, I've seen many games that he dribbled the ball and took on players and he did quite well, certainly I would never Rule Gibson out, he has had a splendid season and has exceeded my expectations. If you're going to say Fletcher is the most improved player, Gibson and Park are not far behind, at least I rate Gibson More than Lucas who has feck all the minutes but has done nothing to get the fans behind him.

Agree with the last post. It's amazing how many are knocking Gibbo, one of the few players who have shown improvement this season. He's created for himself a platform in which to build on, you have to admire that, even more as it was formed on a season of intermittent pitch time.

Not writing him off at all but how you can say he's more prolific than other midfielders and worth his place in the 1st team is beyond me. Correct me if i'm wrong but he's scored 4 goals this season? A decent return considering the appearances but that's not the be all and end all of a midfielder as Bryan Robson once said. You need to dominate in all areas to be considered worthy of a 1st team start. To that he still has a lot more to do.

If SAF has faith in him then i'll go along with that and hope he does mature into a great midfielder.

Not writing him off at all but how you can say he's more prolific than other midfielders and worth his place in the 1st team is beyond me. Correct me if i'm wrong but he's scored 4 goals this season? A decent return considering the appearances but that's not the be all and end all of a midfielder as Bryan Robson once said. You need to dominate in all areas to be considered worthy of a 1st team start. To that he still has a lot more to do.

If SAF has faith in him then i'll go along with that and hope he does mature into a great midfielder.

According to the United website, he's scored 7 in his United career in 33 appearances. He has 5 this season. Now, if you factor in his relatively little playing time, then I think it's fair to say that he is more prolific than any of our other midfield players.

Correct.

Frankly, Brian Robson was full of shit if he said that. Players don't have to 'dominate in all areas' before they can be considered worthy of first-team action; if that was the case then no young player would ever have a chance at United - players don't just walk into the game dominating in all areas; and SAF in particular is well known to favour young players with potential over finished articles - he takes a player and moulds him to play the United way, we've seen it over and over again - if a player shows potential then he's given his chance in the first-team, if he takes that chance and impresses then he's given more chances. Gibson has shown SAF this season that he's a contender, and he'll be rewarded with more action next year - he's not dominated in all areas, but SAF's a bit sharper than Brian Robson when it comes to having an eye for talent and so his mantra is pretty much the oppositie; Gibson will get his chances, and if he continues to show promise then they'll become more frequent. Eventually, as with all young players, he'll either make-it here or he wont, but if he doesn't it wont be because he let-down anyone's expectations that he be the ultimate-midfielder from day-one; SAF's cleverer than to expect perfection in his rising stars, or indeed in any of his players, and it's exactly that patience and his ability to nurture talent that causes him to stand-out as a manage: it's the United way.

if brian robson was right, paul scholes would never had made it at united considering he can't dominate in the tackle

Looking at Gibson, I see a lot of what we used to think of Fletcher.

Central Midfield, particularly box-to-box like Gibson is, is a very hard position to play in. There are so many skills one has to master to become a classy midfield player. It's easy to criticise Gibson because even though he has a good shot on him and has scored some goals, their are other areas of his game that aren't so good and get projected very clearly because of his position.

Give him time, let him develop and see how he goes.

I agree with you completely. People here should be excited about him, he is pretty young and inexperienced but he still manages to do well (including many goals) with the first team and doesn't look like he is just a passenger in the team on most occasions. He can only get better. He needs to work on his passing abilities a bit but there is a lot of time for that and he needs a little confidence and experience for the big occasions. Maybe he will fill up his potential or not but as of yet he has given us no reason to not believe in him. All the people pre-maturely opening their pie holes that he is not United quality need to shut up.

To add to this..
And Scoring is the most fecking difficult thing in football. One will think people will appreciate those who can stick the ball in the net. It really troubles me as to how people question Gibson to the extent that they think he will not make it here. Anderson is my home boy, but if you can't score as a midfielder, your use becomes very limited.
I guess people want the stylish players.
Anyway SAF sees his value.

he can sit around the middle of the pitch, take a massive poop, wipe his ass, eat some fried chicken, chuck the bones at nani's and rooney's head, take a nap.. he can do that all game long, but if he scores 1 or 2 rocket shots then i'll be more than content with him

Personally I think he's a lot less frustrating than Fletcher was when he was coming through.

I'm very happy with SAF bringing Gibson in once in a while, giving him game time to develop. He's a fine player.

Gibson has a terrific long range shot on him, better than any of the midfielders we have at the moment. I'd hate to see him sold off to a rival team, because it can come back to bite us.

If he works on the other aspect of his game (the way Fletcher has added to his game in the past 3 years), there's no reason why he can't establish himself here.

Personally I think he's a lot less frustrating than Fletcher was when he was coming through.

I'm very happy with SAF bringing Gibson in once in a while, giving him game time to develop. He's a fine player.

I'd agree with this, his improvement this year has been commendable and the more he plays the more confidence he'll get. Wouldn't like to see him sold, loaned out for a while maybe just to get him more game time.

His ability to shoot (and how!) from around the box really is very, very useful - as long as he can raise the rest of his game he could be a very useful player for us.

Aside from the goal I didn't think he was that good, but he didn't look out of place either.

First half he was good I felt, Second half he dropped off with being moved out to the wing, despite his good first half I still thought once Rafael went it should of been him and Rooney to make way for O'Shea and Berbatov, it should of happened straight away and we would of had a chance I feel.

Aa well, did himself no harm tonight, get the feeling he will be a big game player for us.

Well I'll have to concede that I thought he was a Hull/Burnley level player but obviously he's way beyond that. I thought he had an excellent game, just a shame that his 2nd half chance wasn't better struck. I'm still amazed that he was able to put in a great display in such a big game; total respect for that.

I thought he did good. I've always thought he only plays in the middle and never gets into the wings, but after we were down to 10, he tried to be everywhere. Great goal as well. Shame he couldn't hit his effort in the second half better.

He had a good game but I think a lack of fitness (don't blame him, anyone would be tired with the level of closing-down he and the rest of the team did) meant he was rather left-out in the end, and substituting him off was a good idea (although I think Macheda should have come on instead).

He is already worthy of the title of squad player/ decent back up to the first team. Who knows he could turn out like Fletcher did, I wouldn't put it past him. He is certainly worth keeping.

hes really improved the his work rate too, im excited to see how he turns out.

Gibson was very good for the first 25-30 minutes, but after that he started doing his usual trick of drifting out of the game. Not as much as usual, but he has to learn to keep that early level of involvement over the entire match. If he can do that he could become a very good player for us.

That was probably the most encouraging performance I've seen from him, he looked good while we had 11 on the pitch. I'm not sure if its maturity or the extra space he was given but I don't think we could ask much more of him tonight.

Gibson was very good for the first 25-30 minutes, but after that he started doing his usual trick of drifting out of the game. Not as much as usual, but he has to learn to keep that early level of involvement over the entire match. If he can do that he could become a very good player for us.

He had a role and it was to be right behind Rooney. When Rooney became ineffective, it made his assignment very difficult. He is inexperienced but as I always say, it takes a special player to score or have the ability to get goals. He is not going anywhere.
In fact I think Carrick should watch his back next season if he is still here. Gibson might be taking over the middle.

Agree, Gibson certainly is another improved player this season as bar Fletcher, has a lot more scoring potentail than Anderson and its not strange that he did so well tonight. I thought the tactic tonight was just perfect for him. We played some great football in the first half. It was due to him and Fletch winning a lot of the ball. Good stuff. Certainly for me, he is now at least a squad member and i won't be surprised if he starts the next match instead of Carrick