Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

An opinion yes, but writing him off is not an opinion it's idiotic dross.

Thinking he might not make it isn't wrong, saying he will is.

I don't think he will make it at United. Obviously I don't know he won't make it. It's my opinion and this is a forum so I'll give it even if it unpopular to some. I don't blindly think that every player who puts on a red shirt is definitely going to make the grade.

Now, people have said he will definitely make it. That is the same as people saying he definitely won't make it. Nobody knows, but everyone can have an opinion.

The Fletcher comparison is bugging me too.

For one thing, Fletcher was much the brighter prospect when he was a youth team player. At one point, SAF was considering giving him his first-team debut when he was still only 16 years old. Gibson was never this much of a prodigy, not even close.

Unfortunately, Fletcher's development stalled slightly when he picked up some serious injuries then took a while to cope with the physical nature of senior football, due to his slender frame.

Gibson, on the other hand, is already a big, strong young man. He has a massive physical advantage to Fletcher when he was the same age as Gibson is now. This means he can't be expected to improve simply by filling out as he matures(something which you could always see would improve Fletcher massively as a footballer) It's other aspects of his game which need the most work and there's no guarantee they will improve as much as Fletcher's athleticism did over the last 2 or 3 years. Fletcher has apparently recently put on 12kg of muscle but Gibson can't improve his awareness or movement as easily as eating more tuna and lifting a few weights.

I still think it's harsh to write Gibson off completely but it's daft to assume that his development trajectory will match Fletcher's. They're completely different footballers.

For one thing, Fletcher was much the brighter prospect when he was a youth team player. At one point, SAF was considering giving him his first-team debut when he was still only 16 years old. Gibson was never this much of a prodigy, not even close.

Unfortunately, Fletcher's development stalled slightly when he picked up some serious injuries then took a while to cope with the physical nature of senior football, due to his slender frame.

Gibson, on the other hand, is already a big, strong young man. He has a massive physical advantage to Fletcher when he was the same age as Gibson is now. This means he can't be expected to improve simply by filling out as he matures(something which you could always see would improve Fletcher massively as a footballer) It's other aspects of his game which need the most work and there's no guarantee they will improve as much as Fletcher's athleticism did over the last 2 or 3 years. Fletcher has apparently recently put on 12kg of muscle but Gibson can't improve his awareness or movement as easily as eating more tuna and lifting a few weights.

I still think it's harsh to write Gibson off completely but it's daft to assume that his development trajectory will match Fletcher's. They're completely different footballers.

Pretty much exactly the way I think on the matter.

Exactly. For every Fletcher that has worked there are two djemba's, klebersons, eagles and millers who haven't. I don't doubt that Gibson will be a starter because it's obvious he does have some very commendable skills, but will he be a starter at United? I don't think so. If he's willing to wait in the wings like Wes Brown and O'shea did then there is a good chance he will be with us for another 5-10 years, but if he wants first team action I can definitely see him pushing for a move in the next year or so because I don't think he will dislodge anyone in our midfield.

In fairness to Gibson his development in the last 12-18 months has been very impressive. I was at Dalymount watching an Ireland B team almost embarrass themselves against a terrible Nott Forest side. Gibson started that evening and was genuinely terrible. So much so that I basically wrote him off for club or country that night.

Another period of development such at that could really see him become a useful player for us but if Im honest I dont see that much improvement left in him. Too much competition between some really promising players in that position will eventually see the end of his United career.

Cleverly/James/Possebon/Drinkwater/Petrucci/Pogba/Cole all could end up playing in or around the central midfield.

Very well put, agreed.

I'm still amazed and delighted for the lad that he has made a significantly bigger impact this season than most of us probably expected. Yes, it may be mainly down to serious injuries (Hargreaves, Anderson, Carrick being out for a while, Giggsy too), but he has proved he can do a job when called up and definitely improved since 'breaking through' last season. Will he be a starter for us in a few year's time? I doubt it. Can he do a decent job, contributing as valuable squad player? I think he can.

Still though, a three man MF and Gibson playing furthest upfront isn't his ideal position. I think he should play more of a Carrick Role and stay deep but pops up when there is a chance and his longs shots are really hopeful too, he just has to improve defensive wise and positional wise and be more aware of whats going on around him which will improve if he can get more games which I don't see him getting that many here. Actually, there was a game when he partnered Scholes in MF and I really liked the way to roamed up and took 2 MF with him and let Scholes have plenty of room.

I have high hopes for Gibson. I can see his qualities. But he needs a good run in the team to get a good feel of everybody's positioning, and exchange with teammates.

he could start scoring goals from outside the box as Keano and Scholes used to do. Something we have been lacking for a while now.

They're not being compared because they're similar footballers, or that Gibson's going to improve as much as Fletcher has - as far as I can tell no-one thinks either of those things, and for good reason - but it's the simplest way to get it across to people that players can improve beyond your expectations, beyond what potential you've seen, and that patience is often the most important part of being a football fan at times like these.

This is not about Darren Fletcher. This is about Darron Gibson. .
I never said it was. I'm just making people aware of the obvious. That they are judging Gibson just as unfairly as they did to Fletcher in the past. When Gibson has played so few games for anyone save for the United coaching staff know definitively how good he could end up.

I just don't see why anyone should be subjected to the same bs Fletcher was. When most people where so darn wrong about Fletcher's future, even after he'd played over 100 games.

I don't know why people keep going on about Fletcher. They are not the same player
No one has said they are the same player. All people have said is some of you should learn to be patient with young players. Rather than writing them off the first chance you get when you see weaknesses in their game. A visit to the Anderson thread should tell you how this is a fecking habit on here to write off young players.

I don't get where people keep getting that from really. All people are saying is wait and see how he develops. Rather than coming on here and assuring everyone he has no chance. The Fletcher thing only gets brought up for one reason only. People wrote him, a young player, off too soon. Yet people in here act as if it's a crime to use Flecther's example to tell people to wait and see. It really has feck all to do with Fletcher and Gibson being the same. But everything to do with people to fecking get some perspective when judging young players. Especially center midfielders.

I don't think he will make it at United. Obviously I don't know he won't make it. It's my opinion and this is a forum so I'll give it even if it unpopular to some. I don't blindly think that every player who puts on a red shirt is definitely going to make the grade.

Now, people have said he will definitely make it. That is the same as people saying he definitely won't make it. Nobody knows, but everyone can have an opinion.

The line about blindly following players is mildly offensive. I don't know why you're putting a negative spin on fans showing faith in players - that attitude's part of the problem with football fans.

Who's said he definitely will make it?

They're not being compared because they're similar footballers, or that Gibson's going to improve as much as Fletcher has - as far as I can tell no-one thinks either of those things, and for good reason - but it's the simplest way to get it across to people that players can improve beyond your expectations, beyond what potential you've seen, and that patience is often the most important part of being a football fan at times like these.
Spot on.

The line about blindly following players is mildly offensive. I don't know why you're putting a negative spin on fans showing faith in players - that attitude's part of the problem with football fans.

Who's said he definitely will make it?

I'm not putting a negative spin on anything. Just because I said I don't blindly think every player will make it at United, does not mean I'm putting a negative spin on fans showing faith in players. As usual, you are trying to twist things in order to "prove" a point. Also, I don't know how you would get offended at such a statement. If you do, you get offended far too easily.

I'm not putting a negative spin on anything. Just because I said I don't blindly think every player will make it at United, does not mean I'm putting a negative spin on fans showing faith in players. As usual, you are trying to twist things in order to "prove" a point. Also, I don't know how you would get offended at such a statement. If you do, you get offended far too easily.

It implies you think people who do think Gibson will make it are blindly following him because he plays for us.

Otherwise there'd be no reason to think it never mind mention it.

I don't get where people keep getting that from really. All people are saying is wait and see how he develops. Rather than coming on here and assuring everyone he has no chance. The Fletcher thing only gets brought up for one reason only. People wrote him, a young player, off too soon. Yet people in here act as if it's a crime to use Flecther's example to tell people to wait and see. It really has feck all to do with Fletcher and Gibson being the same. But everything to do with people to fecking get some perspective when judging young players. Especially center midfielders.

Considering Fletcher was talked about for years, that is where the expectation came from. People were saying that he was better than Beckham was and that he would be a more than adequate replacement. There is no such talk of Gibson. The Fletcher and Gibson comparisons are absolutely ridiculous because Fletcher was greatly tipped to make it. If you want to compare Gibson to someone else, the likes of Kieran Richardson or Frazier Campbell would be more apt.

By the way, who has assured everybody that Gibson has no chance? I don't recall anyone doing it. Somebody can give an opinion as to whether he will make it or not. Some think he will, some think he won't. What is for sure is that absolutely nobody can be sure either way. Nobody knows. But people can and have the right to give opinions if they have them, whether you agree with them or not.

It implies you think people who do think Gibson will make it are blindly following him because he plays for us.

Otherwise there'd be no reason to think it never mind mention it.

I said I don't blindly think every player that plays for United will make it. So what? I have seen people on here say terrible players were going to make it. What other reason could it be but that they were playing for United? Let me ask you this, if Gibson was at another PL club, do you think we'd be discussing if we should buy him? I would guess that his name would never end up being discussed in the transfer forum. Obviously, some people will be biased, maybe unconsciously, just because he plays for United.

Any by the way, I gave my opinion on him. I did not slag any other poster off for thinking or saying differently.

That'd be the mildly offensive part, that you think you're less biased than me. I'm not offended, but that's the way it could be taken if I was a bit of a woman. It's jut not really something you say - 'Some people are obviously biased, I mean, not me, but some people...'

And no, no I don't think his name would be in the transfer forum. I don't think Fletcher's would've been either. Centre mids are hard to judge.

I did not mention you as being biased. It is natural that most people are biased in favour of their own teams. I am biased in favour of United and I admit that. I try to give unbiased opinions as much as possible though.

Considering Fletcher was talked about for years, that is where the expectation came from. People were saying that he was better than Beckham was and that he would be a more than adequate replacement. There is no such talk of Gibson.
So what?

First off Gibson has also got praise. Some over the top the the extent some have said he could be a new Keane even.

Secondly, Fletcher was talked about and was rated very highly by our coaching staff, but was written off teribbly by the majority of fans, pundits and the media a like before age 23. Just because most of them were not patient to let the boy master his trade as a young player and come into his own.

The Fletcher and Gibson comparisons are absolutely ridiculous because Fletcher was greatly tipped to make it. If you want to compare Gibson to someone else, the likes of Kieran Richardson or Frazier Campbell would be more apt.

Firstly, whether you want to believe or not Gibson is actually better than Fletcher was at his age. So your statement is truly moot.

Secondly, for the last: No one is fecking saying Gibson = Fletcher. They are saying no one has any business writing him off at this stage of his career. Especially when the last time people did something similar they got it spectacularly wrong. Even after having seen the player in more than 100 first team games. It shouldn't be too hard to grasp at all. That is what the Fletcher comparison is really about. A player being written off way to early. It has feck all to do with their actual abilities.

By the way, who has assured everybody that Gibson has no chance? I don't recall anyone doing it.
Read through the thread again. You wont fail to find them.

His main strength is obviously meant to be shooting from range - but judging recently, he hasnt been able to consistently do well at that, let alone other aspects of his game.

Too much of a one trick pony who cant do their trick very well, for me. Happy for him to stick around as a squad player or backup, but definitely not one for the first team unless he ups his game considerably.

I like Gibson, he gives us a real goal threat in and around the penalty area something that the likes of Fletch, Carrick & Anderson dont so much

His passing still leaves a lot to be desired though, but if he works on that I can easily see him progressing into a top midfielder

I like Gibson, he gives us a real goal threat in and around the penalty area something that the likes of Fletch, Carrick & Anderson dont so much

His passing still leaves a lot to be desired though, but if he works on that I can easily see him progressing into a top midfielder

Sorry i don't see how Gibson is more of a goal threat than Carrick or Fletcher.

I think the crowd needs to be more specific when Gibson has the ball. "Hit the taaaaaaarget!"

Chief, Fletcher had the ability all along. He was being played out of position and was getting physically beaten in most games.

Gibson doesn't have as much ability and to say he is better than Fletcher(at 22), is a really annoying statement.

Gibson has neat technique. Better than Anderson's for sure. However, he's incredibly naive in terms of positional play and decision making... There again, Anderson's not much better.

Sorry i don't see how Gibson is more of a goal threat than Carrick or Fletcher.

He's more of a goal threat than Fletcher, definitely. Carrick is a better finisher inside the penalty area, but Gibson is probably more of a threat from range (even if that is only because he takes about 10 shots per game).

He's more of a goal threat because all he does is shoot.

Decent squad player, nothing more. He wouldn't have been on the bench today if we'd have had a fully fit squad.

Aye Fletcher always had very good positional awareness early on. The main weakness' to his game was his strength and that at times he'd give away really easy passes.

He always had energy, desire, ability and when he was focussed passing range. Now Fletcher has improved his weakness' ten fold and has become a machine. But the potential was there to be seen.

Gibson just doesn't have that glow about him. He's a tidy player and he's getting unfair critism from a few, but he doesn't look like a player who can push for a 1st team place.

At best he's squad material, a poor mans Lampard. Hopefully with time he'll blossom on the pitch. I still have faith that he'll come good, he just needs time and experience and alot of dedication.

Gibson has neat technique. Better than Anderson's for sure. However, he's incredibly naive in terms of positional play and decision making... There again, Anderson's not much better.

He's more of a goal threat than Fletcher, definitely. Carrick is a better finisher inside the penalty area, but Gibson is probably more of a threat from range (even if that is only because he takes about 10 shots per game).

Only beecause he just constantly blasts the ball , whereas Fletcher will miss but actually score the odd one. Andersons Positional play and decision making are just inconsistent. We know he can't shoot to save his life but his passing (everyone whinges about one or two passes he makes per game) and getting into space are far better than Gibson.

Chief, Fletcher had the ability all along..
I was amongst the few who knew that from the start. The thing is how many in here did so? The majority were writing him off and claiming Fergie was just picking him because he was Scottish, just because of his inconsistencies that all young players,and most especially young midfielders have. Amongst other horrible things they said.

Gibson doesn't have as much ability and to say he is better than Fletcher(at 22), is a really annoying statement.
It's only annoying to people like you who don't remember what Fletcher was really like at 22. I do because I spent a huge chunk of my time on here defending him. He had the ability but couldn't show it regularly due to being young and still maturing physically and tactically. Even in center midfield. The things people pointed out as his failing in the many threads that bashed him at the time were not totally wrong. What was wrong was them blatantly writing him, a young player, off.

At 22, Fletch had the ability to pass but passed the ball like Nicky Butt most of the time, lacked in self belief, used to get caught out of position, exhibited poor game reading and would sometimes give away the ball needlessly. Not to mention the fact he could sometimes be easily knocked off the ball Welbeck style and wasn't very good with his shots. All he needed was time to come good. As he matured both physically and by playing. Instead all he ever got from all sides in here was ridicule for the weaknesses in his game. It's the same thing being done to Gibson in here. The same thing being done to Anderson in another thread. Walcott even and he isn't even a center midfielder!

Gibson by comparison at 22 is way more confident than Fletch was, doesn't get knocked off the ball as easy, can shoot very well and has proven in flashes that he has an eye for a pass and can actually pass with variety and precision Fletcher hardly ever showed at the same age. His obvious weaknesses are positional and with game reading. But which young central midfielder with little experience doesn't have these issues? Bearing in mind He has had very few first team games and is still inexperienced. It should be actually be expected. People have this idea its so easy to eradicate such things from one's game, when it took Fletcher more than 100 games to do so. & we know how talented that boy is.

Midfielders as a rule tend to mature at about 23 unless they are something else talent wise like a Fabregas or a Keane. So why is it so hard for people to reserve verdicts until the lad has reached that age with more game time?

I dont see how you dont see how Gibson is more of a goal threat than Carrick or Fletcher

I don't see how you don't see how i don't see that Gibson is more of a goal threat than FLetcher or Carrick.

Strange period of 15 minutes when everyone in the side was trying to walk the ball into the net except for Gibson who just decided to shoot whenever he could.