Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

you make it sound like he's having shots because he's a glory hunter!

What part of "Fergie told him to shoot on sight" don't you understand?

The coaches realise that his long range shooting is an asset and have encouraged him to do it as much as possible.

Thats the most nonsense reason i've heard so far for having a pop at the lad. Congratulations

Aye, he's clearly in there for his long range shooting (among other things). He's taking some shots on that he shouldn't, where the ball isn't set for a shot, but his judgement on that sort of thing will only get better the more games he plays, and when he's not so worried about making an impression.

Of all the things you could say about the lad, criticising his willingness to shoot with the ability he obviously has from distance is daft.

The coaches realise that his long range shooting is an asset and have encouraged him to do it as much as possible.

Thats the most nonsense reason i've heard so far for having a pop at the lad. Congratulations

Its not nonsense in saying that, that being said he does have a cracking shot and anything with 20-25 yards he should be having a pop. Not 35 yards away with his left peg off balance.

I think thats what people are saying.

Its not nonsense in saying that, that being said he does have a cracking shot and anything with 20-25 yards he should be having a pop. Not 35 yards away with his left peg off balance.

I think thats what people are saying.

its not what cucumber was saying

I never heard Fergie say that. He may well be encouraging him to shoot, like I said though I doubt he wants him to do it when the pass is the right option. I doubt he's down there thinking I wish Darron Gibson would hit a shot despite being off balance and having better options on.

Like I said have a shot every now and then but Gibson takes it to an extreme for me.

How many ended in the crowd before that hit the net?

Gibson shoots a lot, yes, but then Ronaldo did likewise for the past three years. Before that Rooney did it for the two years previous.

It didn't/doesn't matter because it so often resulted/results in goals.

Our midfielders don't take many shots, people complained. Now we have someone who's very good at taking them constantly, people are still complaining?

Our midfielders don't take many shots, people complained. Now we have someone who's very good at taking them constantly, people are still complaining?

Are they the same people? If not your point is well, pointless.

Gibson shoots a lot, yes, but then Ronaldo did likewise for the past three years. Before that Rooney did it for the two years previous.

It didn't/doesn't matter because it so often resulted/results in goals.
And both did it too often. Both though brought more to the team than Gibson so it was easier to overlook them hitting shots from range when they shouldn't.

I counted 3 shots on goal yesterday, 3 against West Ham and 4 against Spurs.

That's 10 shots attempted and 3 goals scored. which would be a fantastic strike rate for a striker, operating inside the box, never mind a midfielder taking pot-shots from 20-30 yards out.

he's not having twenty shots a match though is he?

He doesn't score in every match does he? He could over a set of games hit twenty shots and pass up putting a teammate through on goal.

You're creating the impression that it doesn't matter how many attacks break down due to hitting shots when he shouldn't as long as he scores one now and then.

acnumber9
I don't know how all this passing and shooting issue started, but can you provide an instance where Gibson chose to shoot instead of pass when passing was the right option? Who was he supposed to pass to? When? What game? etc so that I can check to see if you have a point.
Now, this is a direct quote from SAF

Gibson has "fantastic feet" and should shoot more often
Official Manchester United - Gibson Wins Goal of the Month for August

That's 10 shots attempted and 3 goals scored. which would be a fantastic strike rate for a striker, operating inside the box, never mind a midfielder taking pot-shots from 20-30 yards out.
Yet we still here complaints. It's no surprise they are from acnumber9 though. He LOVEs to oppose..

Don't get all this bollocks about Gibson shooting too much - Ronaldo must've taken about 45 shots per game on average in his last few years here.

Gibson displayed a range of passing yesterday that I wasn't aware he actually possessed, despite not having his best game. I'm still not entirely sure what to think in regards to his chances here, but he's certainly changed my opinion of him over the course of the last few weeks.

It's a terrific ratio and if he kept it up there'd be no debate. However you're using three games where he has done well in that regard. I'm sure you could throw three games together where his ratio would not be so impressive.

acnumber9
I don't know how all this passing and shooting issue started, but can you provide an instance where Gibson chose to shoot instead of pass when passing was the right option? Who was he supposed to pass to? When? What game? etc so that I can check to see if you have a point.
Now, this is a direct quote from SAF

Official Manchester United - Gibson Wins Goal of the Month for August

I feel a pass was the better option for both his attempts last night. Just my opinion. Other examples from previous games would be tough to give as my memory ain't great but it's an opinion I've had every time I've watched him.

It's a terrific ratio and if he kept it up there'd be no debate. However you're using three games where he has done well in that regard. I'm sure you could throw three games together where his ratio would not be so impressive.

In terms of playing for our first-team he's got a terrific overall strike-rate, in all the games he's played. Averaging a goal every two starts. Not many strikers can match that.

In terms of playing for our first-team he's got a terrific overall strike-rate, in all the games he's played. Averaging a goal every two starts. Not many strikers can match that.

2008-2009
9 matches (5 as sub) 3 goals

2009-2010
5 matches (2 as sub) 3 goals

That lad is talking through his arse, unless he means seasons 2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2007-2008 when he made a grand total off 1 sub appearance

stats taken from THE WEBSITE OF DREAMS

I don't know what some of our lot expect from the young uns, Pele/Best/Maradona rolled into one from day 1?

gibson should shoot on sight - its one of the strengths of his game and he wasn't far away last nite

after selling ronaldo one of our targets was to get our midfield scoring more - gibson scores 3 in a week and people are criticising his shooting?!?

the main thing i think gibson needs to work on is his mobility - he can be a bit sluggish and he lacks the energy of our other midfielders - not sure if this is something you can work on

paul scholes last nite was a masterclass - he was my MOM despite owen's hatrick - absolute magic from the wee man - didnt waste a pass, intelligence, composure, always seemed like he had lots of time on the ball, tackled well and led the team

how are we going to replace him?

I don't think he's good enough and i'm not sure if he'll ever be. But since he can score long range screamers for fun then he can be quite useful to have around.

2008-2009

2009-2010

That lad is talking through his arse, unless he means seasons 2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2007-2008 when he made a grand total off 1 sub appearance

I don't know what some of our lot expect from the young uns, Pele/Best/Maradona rolled into one from day 1?

Just because I believe he needs to show better judgement when to shoot and when not too doesn't mean I expect him to be a world beater. You're a bit of a drama queen.

Just because I believe he needs to show better judgement when to shoot and when not too doesn't mean I expect him to be a world beater. You're a bit of a drama queen.

Not sure what age you are but if you remember Frank Lampard at West Ham, see the weaknesses he had back then and look at how hes developed surrouded by better players at Chelsea, Coaches who always encouraged him to shoot anytime he had the chance.

Its not an exact science of course hes going to sky a certain percentage of them but I dont in the slightest see Gibson as someone who needs to show better judgement.

2008-2009

2009-2010

I got my stats a bit wrong so. He's averaging just under one goal in every game he starts (6 in 7). That's amazing.

Don't see the problem with Gibson shooting a lot. Even if he doesn't hit the goal every time his strike rate is brilliant. But most of all, if the opponents know he's going to have a crack every time they will have to move up and put pressure on him, helping us to break down a team that parks the bus if a midfielder/defender is dragged out of position by his willingness to shoot.