Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

He had a good game, no doubt about that. I've perhaps been overly critical of him in recent weeks but he is deserving of this run in the side. Well done Darron, keep it up.

Aye another decent performance from Gibbo.. would like to see him in a team thats playing well as at the moment we just look really ragged and it's hard to judge players in these circumstances.

He's been okay without being any better or worse. I'm still not convinced he does enough of what you expect from your midfielders, but as someone said above, he hasn't had the luxury of playing in a settled and in-form team. His long shooting might just buy him the time he needs to bring his game on enough to be a real player for us.

Nasty challenge he got away with, players have been sent off for less in the game

Good spell for him recently though and obviously the best of his career. Nice to see someone at the club is actually capable of taking a decent corner!

His corner kicks were spot on tonight.

They were excellent, did little else though. That said one lead to a goal, and in the first half United had more chances of half chances from corners it seemed than they had in the past few weeks

I'm just happy to see someone on the team who is able to take a decent corner. It's been driving me insane.

Did better in the second half today. I think his lack of mobility is a big problem though. He just seems very slow to react sometimes.

Everything he does actually do, he does well. He just doesn't do very much.

Virtually every time he plays it seems like he only gets on the ball once every five minutes or so. Which just isn't good enough for a central midfielder. He needs to be making himself available and calling for the ball.

There is one big fault that he has that you would never see Carrick, Fletcher or Scholes do. They always make themselves available. It's nearly guaranteed that when the likes of Evra or Vidic have the ball, Fletcher, Carrick or Scholes will always drop and provide an outlet. I notice that in such situations, Gibson jogs forward an awful lot putting pressure on our defenders. He needs to come back and demand the ball and be available as much as possible. For some reason, he doesn't do this.

Yet again I thought he was a bit 'meh'. His overall midfield play is so-so, IMO, and he's not got the engine to influence the game box-to-box. The length of time he needs on the ball would also be a concern, but I get the feeling he'd be much more at home in a three man midfield.

Just don't think he's good enough. Other than a sledgehammer for a right foot he just doesn't bring enough. Not a very speedy or mobile player. That by itself wouldn't be a problem but if you're going to be slow you better be able to read the game very well, understand your team and pass/create at a high level. I don't think he does any of that very well. He's 22 years old now, not a 19 year old kid in the reserves. Time to make way for someone else in the first team.

Just don't think he's good enough. Other than a sledgehammer for a right foot he just doesn't bring enough. Not a very speedy or mobile player. That by itself wouldn't be a problem but if you're going to be slow you better be able to read the game very well, understand your team and pass/create at a high level. I don't think he does any of that very well. He's 22 years old now, not a 19 year old kid in the reserves. Time to make way for someone else in the first team.

This is where football imo has got a bit out of hand, 22 is by no means old for a footballer. Granted he was poor today but when hes on form he can produce killer passes and a real goal threat.

If he was 25 then i would fully agree that its time to look at other players but the center of defence/midfield/attack are the hardest jobs for younger players because those are areas that win you games, so its obious that those are the hardest for young footballers to master - which is exactly why so many praise Fabregas/Rooney/Evans for the impact they have on their teams (the former 2 when they were younger)

It's not surprising he has a decent record of goalscoring when he shoots any time he gets the ball less than 40 yards from the goal.

This is where football imo has got a bit out of hand, 22 is by no means old for a footballer. Granted he was poor today but when hes on form he can produce killer passes and a real goal threat.

If he was 25 then i would fully agree that its time to look at other players but the center of defence/midfield/attack are the hardest jobs for younger players because those are areas that win you games, so its obious that those are the hardest for young footballers to master - which is exactly why so many praise Fabregas/Rooney/Evans for the impact they have on their teams (the former 2 when they were younger)

At 25 a footballer should be entering his prime. At 22 he should be pushing older players for starting time. If we had any type of depth in the middle Gibson wouldn't get a sniff. Right now all we have are an aging Scholes, Carrick, Fletcher and Anderson who needs experience. If we expect Gibson to step into the the first team, at 22 years old he should come in and dominate a League 2 team.

Plus you examples are some of the best in the world, Fabregas, Rooney and Evans (somewhat). I don't put those kinds of expectations on him. Hell, Fabregas has been a first team at Arse since he was what, 16? He isn't fit to sniff Cesc's boots. I want Gibson to succeed, I just think we'd of seen more than a couple powerful goals from the midfield.

I thought he was pretty decent when he had the ball today, just he's pretty anonymous for most of the game.