Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

He was shocking today. So was Anderson.
What is it with those two? In Europe against Besiktas and Wolfsburg they've looked awful, yet against Spurs and West Ham, they've done quite well.

Gibson's shooting is a great asset to have, but his all around game needs a lot of work.

We probably didn't watch the same game....

In my game Ando was good and I think SAF is very pleased with his performance today.

His passing worries me a little, seems to give the ball away cheaply from time to time. Hes playing ok though, deserves his chance.

Long range passing is exceptional. He has the talent to become another Beckham type player.

Yes his passing itself is fantastic. He makes a few mistakes when under pressure but the raw ability is there to work with, hopefully he will improve in that regard.

Yes his passing itself is fantastic. He makes a few mistakes when under pressure but the raw ability is there to work with, hopefully he will improve in that regard.

I would agree with you , good balanced post

His passing worries me a little, seems to give the ball away cheaply from time to time. Hes playing ok though, deserves his chance.

Yes, I agree. In hindsight, 'shocking' was definitely a poor choice of word by me.
He wasn't awful but he did give the ball away quite often; and in a game where we're on the back foot for much of the match and with a makeshift defence, giving the ball away is not the best thing to do...

To be fair, all the lads have done a good job securing such a good win, especially considering the circumstances with player availability.

Didn't impress me tonight but I suspect he was exhausted from saturday. Just a bit too slow moving the ball and too many sloppy passes. Difficult pitch but still would hope for a better display than that. He's had a big week so have to wait and see how things develop from here.

He was shocking today. So was Anderson.
What is it with those two? In Europe against Besiktas and Wolfsburg they've looked awful, yet against Spurs and West Ham, they've done quite well.

Gibson's shooting is a great asset to have, but his all around game needs a lot of work.

all i can say is HUH!? :confused: What match were you lads watching?

I saw the lad have a very confident first half, demanding the ball, telling people were to run so he could ping it to them and hitting 50 yard cross-field passes onto a six pence. Understandably, considering it was his 3rd match in 8 days, he tired a little bit in the second half but still kept the ball moving reasonably well. He was unlucky a couple of times with passes due to the pitch. He made a couple of strong surges forward with pace.

The one criticism I have is that he lacks a bit of defensive awareness, but that can come with experience.

I thought Gibson did his job well tonight, though like most of the team he did give the ball away cheaply at times, it wasn't just him every single player did it at least once.

Still this run of games will do him good, it's certainly boosted his confidence, and you can see he's matured quite a bit from when he made his debut. I'm still not 100% on him yet, but if he can do a Fletcher and stick in and around the first team all season from here on in, he'll improve no end, and will probably become a valuable member of the squad.

I think someone has mentioned his defensive game needs some work, and perhaps a couple of games in the reserves at centre back, might help him develop that part of his game. However, with some of the players at Old Trafford, he may not need to be that defensive minded.

Some of his passing in the first half was excellent. Some of his passing in the second half was poor. Overall, good game in my opinion.

all i can say is HUH!? :confused: What match were you lads watching?

I saw the lad have a very confident first half, demanding the ball, telling people were to run so he could ping it to them and hitting 50 yard cross-field passes onto a six pence. Understandably, considering it was his 3rd match in 8 days, he tired a little bit in the second half but still kept the ball moving reasonably well. He was unlucky a couple of times with passes due to the pitch. He made a couple of strong surges forward with pace.

The one criticism I have is that he lacks a bit of defensive awareness, but that can come with experience.

Agree geebs, I thought his passing was excellent tonight. I didn't think he had it in him, but he hit a few very good crossfield passes that were those were done by Scholes or Carrick, people would've singing their praises.

That's what I thought good ten minutes and then all he did was did was take a few poor shots the rest of the game. He still was decent but the worst of the midfield I'd say

Already have two. Three if Anderson didn't interfered.
Ball falling at the feet of Gibson (who has a cannon for each leg and three long-distance goals in the last week), but Anderson (who has one goal in three years and a propensity for finding Row Z) decides to cut in and have a go.

What a complete idiot.

Ball falling at the feet of Gibson (who has a cannon for each leg and three long-distance goals in the last week), but Anderson (who has one goal in three years and a propensity for finding Row Z) decides to cut in and have a go.

What a complete idiot

What a sad statement from a supporter...

I like Anderson, but I see no indication that he's particularly bright. And this was a very foolish thing to have done, as I have tried to highlight by pointing out the relative chances of either one of them actually scoring from that position.

Also lighten up a bit for feck's sake. Or as Anderson would say, "feck feck feck!"

He wasted the ball less than Anderson last night, yet according to the ratings thread he was far worse than Anderson. Sometimes I wonder if some of you lot actually watch the matches or just have standard texts ready to copy and paste

He wasted the ball less than Anderson last night, yet according to the ratings thread he was far worse than Anderson. Sometimes I wonder if some of you lot actually watch the matches or just have standard texts ready to copy and paste

He passed the ball a lot better than Anderson but Anderson covered more ground and generally worked that bit harder (he seems to be a lot fitter this season and doesn't hit the 60-minute wall anymore).

Combine the two of them and you'd have a fantastic young central midfielder. As it is, they both have fairly significant flaws to their game. The positive, from Gibson's perspective, is that his engine should get better after playing a few more games.

Anderson's passing is a bit more of an enigma. It can be absolutely amazing or absolutely woeful, usually a mixture of both throughout any one game.

Gibson was pretty anonymous yesterday. Thought Anderson had a really good game though

He passed the ball a lot better than Anderson but Anderson covered more ground and generally worked that bit harder (he seems to be a lot fitter this season and doesn't hit the 60-minute wall anymore).

Combine the two of them and you'd have a fantastic young central midfielder. As it is, they both have fairly significant flaws to their game. The positive, from Gibson's perspective, is that his engine should get better after playing a few more games.

Anderson's passing is a bit more of an enigma. It can be absolutely amazing or absolutely woeful, usually a mixture of both throughout any one game.

I've already stated that Gibson needs to work on his defensive side. But he wasn't anonymous as some seem to think. Plus it was the lads 3rd game in 8 days, after only coming back from injury. No wonder he tired second half.

Anderson was very good in amongst them last night getting the ball back but his passing was pretty off last night. I was actually thinking last night during the match, a Brazilian that cant pass?

I thought played okay. Some great long passing mixed with some awful short passing though. He needs to learn he doesn't have to shoot evrytme he gets near goal. It's infuriating for me watching so I can imagine how a teammate in a better position would feel. His first thought is always to shoot. Needs to change his mentality.

Gibson played alright last night, not great and not bad. It is a great experience for him too, he'll learn so much more from last night and being overrun at times and misplacing/choosing the wrong options with passes at times than he would have when he went on a nice Saturday afternoon stroll in East London and smashing a 25 yarder into the top corner. Experiences like yesterday is what will make him a better player, the Champions League can magnify any deficiencies in your game and it's just a case of waiting to see if Gibson can take his lessons on board and keep improving.

I think it also has to be said, because of the formation - it made picking passes a lot more difficult because a 3-5-2 is ofcourse a whole different setup structurally on the pitch and so a central midfielder like Gibson can not instinctively attempt the passes he could in our normal 4-4-2 (or even 4-5-1). It made it tough for the central midfielders distribution wise, but I thought that meant Scholes experience really shone through and he played well - the interplay for the first goal by Scholes was just a piece of mesmeric football.

Anderson's passing vision is fantastic, but his execution still very often leaves a lot to be desired.

Yup. I keep thinking back to that youtube video a rival fan posted after we played Everton in his debut season.

They'd condensed his contribution to a minute or two of he widly over-hit passes, then dubbed the sound of bullets/rockets over the top of each one. It was funny and depressing at the same time.

Gibson was pretty anonymous yesterday. Thought Anderson had a really good game though

Did i watch a different match to a lot of people? In that first half Gibson was spraying passes about with ease. He hit 30 plus yard balls time and time again to Park on the right, and one ball in the second half in particular that he lifted brilliantly toward the corner for Nani.

I thought he did a very good job and had a very good game. On the other hand with everyone's comparisons to Anderson i thought he had another on off game. A couple of good passes, a couple of decent runs but gave the ball away a lot as well, more so than Gibson and i'd bet on that. Gibson's tracking back was good as well, that very tight decision with Grafite where i think he was on but called off, Gibson was the only player to chase him back as the others were standing like lemons with their hands in the air.

I think a lot of people on here are giving the lad a bum deal.

He had a sturdy game, did his job well and allowed Anderson to press further up the pitch. Some of his passing was excellent, some of it was very ordinary. I'd agree that currently his biggest weakness is his defensive positioning. But I thought he did well last night. Chuffed for the kid considering the majority in here was writing him off before he'd been given a real chance.

As has been said, Gibson was tired, and it showed. He did okay without ever being particularly good. His passing was a little ill-judged at times, but on a bad pitch with the relatively few games he's played you'd probably expect it. Tough game last night though, as the front two were being asked to drop back a bit, which gives him less to hit.

He will need to work on his mobility though, as a mid-thirties midfielder with asthma was outperforming him in there last night.

I thought played okay. Some great long passing mixed with some awful short passing though. He needs to learn he doesn't have to shoot evrytme he gets near goal. It's infuriating for me watching so I can imagine how a teammate in a better position would feel. His first thought is always to shoot. Needs to change his mentality.

Thats come from management. Fergie stated that they are encouraging him to shoot on sight

Did i watch a different match to a lot of people? .

Thank god for that. I was beginning to think I was going mad

think a lot of people on here are giving the lad a bum deal.

my point all thread. It seems Anderson is forgiven for pretty much everything but a home grown lad has to take all the flak. I don't get it.

I thought Gibson did his job well tonight, though like most of the team he did give the ball away cheaply at times, it wasn't just him every single player did it at least once.

Still this run of games will do him good, it's certainly boosted his confidence, and you can see he's matured quite a bit from when he made his debut. I'm still not 100% on him yet, but if he can do a Fletcher and stick in and around the first team all season from here on in, he'll improve no end, and will probably become a valuable member of the squad.

I think someone has mentioned his defensive game needs some work, and perhaps a couple of games in the reserves at centre back, might help him develop that part of his game. However, with some of the players at Old Trafford, he may not need to be that defensive minded.

Good post. I really hope he can break into the Ireland side under Trap. His influence on alot of Irish players has been immense defensively.

JOS, Ledger, Whelan and Andrews have have really stepped it up under the Italian. Hopefully the same happens with Gibson.

I thought both Gibson and Anderson did well. Anderson did seem to be more involved a lot more and he also played further forward which he did to good effect with his pressing.

Both did their job well which allowed Scholes to shine.

I seem to remember one of them where he probably could have played in Welbeck.

That was his first one. I think he almost pooed himself in excitement at the thought of getting the shot off.

He shot twice last night, and there wasn't anyone better placed.

One was from close to 40 yards. Pretty sure somebody would have been better placed.

Again you make the mistake of thinking people are only talking about the most recent game when making a judgement on GIbson. The opinion is based on having watched every one of his first team appearances. He shhots too much and needs to learn that it's not all about getting your own name on the scoresheet.

One was from close to 40 yards. Pretty sure somebody would have been better placed.

Again you make the mistake of thinking people are only talking about the most recent game when making a judgement on GIbson. The opinion is based on having watched every one of his first team appearances. He shhots too much and needs to learn that it's not all about getting your own name on the scoresheet.

Following the goals he scored lately, I will not be surprised if Fergie told him to continue shooting at sight.

Something else, I never saw Gibson taking a freekick - maybe who knows with the power he have in his shot, it would be worthed a try...

He shhots too much and needs to learn that it's not all about getting your own name on the scoresheet.

you make it sound like he's having shots because he's a glory hunter!

What part of "Fergie told him to shoot on sight" don't you understand?

The coaches realise that his long range shooting is an asset and have encouraged him to do it as much as possible.

Thats the most nonsense reason i've heard so far for having a pop at the lad. Congratulations