Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

To be fair, that will probably slow down a bit (a lot) now that opposition teams know about him - he won't get as much time or room near the box.

Absolutely. I think Lampard averages about a goal every three games, which is about as good as it gets for a central midfielder. If Gibson can even get close to that he will be extremely prolific.

Not sure what age you are but if you remember Frank Lampard at West Ham, see the weaknesses he had back then and look at how hes developed surrouded by better players at Chelsea, Coaches who always encouraged him to shoot anytime he had the chance.

Its not an exact science of course hes going to sky a certain percentage of them but I dont in the slightest see Gibson as someone who needs to show better judgement.

I do remember Lampard at West Ham and I also remember him as a player who his own fans didn't rate. Personally I've always found Lampard a little overrated. He for me does show better judgement in when to shoot than Gibson but being more experienced that's natural.

There are plenty of example where Gibson to me seems in a rush to get a shot off. His volleyed effort that hit the corner flag on Saturday being a perfect example. I'm all for a player having a dig in the right circumstances but for me Gibson shoots regardless of whether a shot is viably on or whether he is balanced right to hit it. He may learn to pick and choose his moments like somebody like Scholes does or he may not. Nani is another example of a player that shoots too often and the frustration in this part of his game is regularly shown by the players around him and the manager. Gibson could fall into that category. At the moment all is well because he has been hitting the net regularly. If he was to keep that up it would be fantastic but it is also highly unlikely.

Either way I don't think his shooting will be the making or breaking of him as a player at United. As others have already said his mobility is possibly his biggest weakness at the moment.

Don't see the problem with Gibson shooting a lot. Even if he doesn't hit the goal every time his strike rate is brilliant. But most of all, if the opponents know he's going to have a crack every time they will have to move up and put pressure on him, helping us to break down a team that parks the bus if a midfielder/defender is dragged out of position by his willingness to shoot.

Only if he learns to play the pass in that position.

Just because I believe he needs to show better judgement when to shoot and when not too doesn't mean I expect him to be a world beater. You're a bit of a drama queen.

fella you're whining because he shoots too much, and insinuated that he does so because hes a glory hunter!

I have pointed out that not only has he been encouraged to shoot by his manager and coaches but also the stats show that his scoring rate is improving. You also say that your opinion was based on a memory of seasons passed but the records show that he has only played a limited amount of games in the last 2 seasons only.

So, to conclude; you're being very silly

fella you're whining because he shoots too much, and insinuated that he does so because hes a glory hunter!

I have pointed out that not only has he been encouraged to shoot by his manager and coaches but also the stats show that his scoring rate is improving. You also say that your opinion was based on a memory of seasons passed but the records show that he has only played a limited amount of games in the last 2 seasons only.

So, to conclude; you're being very silly

My opinion is based on what I've seen of him. You don't agree and that's fine. Your man love for Gibson is a little unhealthy though.

My opinion is based on what I've seen of him. You don't agree and that's fine. Your man love for Gibson is a little unhealthy though.

Im just being open-minded. Its nonsense that fans have formed closed opinions so quickly considering that hes only played a handful of first team games and scored 6 times.

Im just being open-minded. Its nonsense that fans have formed closed opinions so quickly considering that hes only played a handful of first team games and scored 6 times.

My opinion is not closed. Certainly no more than yours is.

SAF told him to shoot more, and here we are saying he should shoot less. :D He will get better with more games. He's only 22, and people are expecting him to play like he's 28.

Spot on.

It's not even being open minded, it's common sense.

Some of his long range passing is superb aswell as his shooting.

Something I have already commented on in this thread. He knocked a couple of excellent cross field passes on Tuesday night. It's this area of his game I'd like to see more of.

I never heard Fergie say that. He may well be encouraging him to shoot, like I said though I doubt he wants him to do it when the pass is the right option. I doubt he's down there thinking I wish Darron Gibson would hit a shot despite being off balance and having better options on.

Like I said have a shot every now and then but Gibson takes it to an extreme for me.

Gibson has added a new dimension to the midfield because of his willingness to shoot and being rather good at it. Whether he'll make it or not depends on his mobility etc and ability to help run a midfield but as far as his shooting from distance goes.. its excellent.

He needs to continue to be encouraged to take shots and the way you exaggerated the number of shots he takes to goals scored is abit silly.

The likes of Fat frank, Ronaldo take numerous shots per game and although it would be premature to put Gibsons shooting up there in terms of quality..I have no qualms with letting him rip from distance because the more he gains confidence and becomes fearless the more prolific and accurate he will be.

SAF told him to shoot more, and here we are saying he should shoot less. :D He will get better with more games. He's only 22, and people are expecting him to play like he's 28.

Fabregas when was 16 played better than Viera (28)

He wrote "he's only 22", in my opinion a footballer at 22 cannot be considered a younger

today will be interesting. A good challenge for him if he plays AND a vote of confidence (not one of those bad ones...)

He wrote "he's only 22", in my opinion a footballer at 22 cannot be considered a younger
When he only had his breakthrough last season, I would consider that young. And seeing how Fletcher developed over the years, there's plenty reason to be patient with Gibson's progress.

I enjoy seeing Gibson on the team sheet because you know he's got goals in him, spectacular ones at that too and that's what Manchester United is all about, exciting, unpredictable attacker's and Gibson fits this mold.

Passing was a bit wayward (again) when he came on, although our passing in general was terrible today.

Passing was a bit wayward (again) when he came on, although our passing in general was terrible today.

Yeah, he seemed to catch the same bug as the rest of our midfield.

He did look dangerous though. You could see the Villa defenders panicking when he got on the ball. It was kind of funny to watch. It didn't seem to bother them when Anderson had the ball outside the box!

Gibson has added a new dimension to the midfield because of his willingness to shoot and being rather good at it. Whether he'll make it or not depends on his mobility etc and ability to help run a midfield but as far as his shooting from distance goes.. its excellent.

He needs to continue to be encouraged to take shots and the way you exaggerated the number of shots he takes to goals scored is abit silly.

The likes of Fat frank, Ronaldo take numerous shots per game and although it would be premature to put Gibsons shooting up there in terms of quality..I have no qualms with letting him rip from distance because the more he gains confidence and becomes fearless the more prolific and accurate he will be.

Good post. Agree with all of it. I haven't seen much to suggest he shoots too much. After today I'm more concerned that it will be difficult for him to shoot enough - Villa seemed to be the first team to afford him the same attention teams give to Scholes to stop him getting shots off.

I was interested to see what you lot made of him today - I was at the game and thought he did quite well, relative to everyone else in a diabolical second half performance at least. Made himself available more than Anderson and passed more crisply and intelligently from my vantage point. Its difficult to judge as Villa were sitting back so much by the time he came on, but his mobility looked fine to me today, and he didn't noticably dwell on the ball either.

Carrick was good (in the first half at least), but Anderson really disappointed me. He's got fantastic athletic assets, vision and the technique to execute difficult passes, but he doesn't seem close to pulling it all together yet and dictating games. He's still got bags of time on his side, but him mastering the fundamentals of midfield play over time doesn't seem like a foregone conclusion any more. Pogue's thread at the start of the season comparing him and Gibson is very relevent still imo.

I'd take him over Anderson in our next game, that's for sure.

Anderson does seem to have some kind of rule where he can't play well for more than a couple of games in a row. Weird.

Gibson would surely be up for showing Wolves and McCarthy that he's improved since he was with them.

Anderson does seem to have some kind of rule where he can't play well for more than a couple of games in a row. Weird.

Gibson would surely be up for showing Wolves and McCarthy that he's improved since he was with them.

To be fair, that's most likely to do with his relative youth. He's allowed to be a bit inconsistent.

When he's poor, though, he's an absolute liability. Could do with a break and Gibson deserves a game.

I'd take him over Anderson in our next game, that's for sure.

Didn't see this before I posted, but I agree. I want to see Anderson be given every chance to make that midfield berth his own as I'm still convinced of his vast potential, but the team comes first and it should be picked on merit. Gibson's done enough to merit a starting role ahead of him for our next game, and his ability to shoot from distance could be invaluable if Wolves park the bus and we're misfiring with our passing game again. If he can even get them on target, Owen could feast on the rebounds if he plays.

Quite.

Gibson did more in the 15 minutes he was on the pitch than Anderson.

I'm not sure about Anderson, but I'm sure that I can't see Gibson being a United central midfielder in a couple of years' time.

However, I don't blame these two guys for the defeat. Carrick was poor. He cannot inject pace into a game. Sure his passes tend to be accurate but he takes an eternity over them. Playing consistently for United, IF he could control the midfield like Scholes, he'd be first choice for England in centre midfielder, not someone like Lampard.

I'd like to see a midfield three of Scholes, Fletcher, Anderson. Carrick has disappointed big time this season, for whatever reason.

I was quite impressed with him when he came on. For the first time he was really looking for the ball and trying to control us around, although that may have been because Villa were sitting so deep and giving him plenty of time. Gave two poor balls away to let Villa counter, but otherwise he was good.