Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Based on a small sample of people I have talked to, those who heavily criticize D.Gibson are mostly those who have never played midfield in their lives. I don't mean at a high level, I mean, the indoor, Saturday, Sunday kick around stuff. They have never had the chance to know how easily the game can pass you by. It is a touch act and you don't master it with like 70 odd games.
Lets not even talk about the speed of the premiership.
He will be a great player for us.
agreed

Based on a small sample of people I have talked to, those who heavily criticize D.Gibson are mostly those who have never played midfield in their lives. I don't mean at a high level, I mean, the indoor, Saturday, Sunday kick around stuff. They have never had the chance to know how easily the game can pass you by. It is a touch act and you don't master it with like 70 odd games.
Lets not even talk about the speed of the premiership.
He will be a great player for us.

That's why I don't play in the middle. I can't think quick enough and don't have the footwork to retain possession or lay it off in time. So I stick to defense or the wing. The wing I have the speed to go past anyone and the ability to deliver a cross/pass from the flank or cut in and take a shot. In defense I just play to not get turned, although I sometimes lunge in wildly :lol:.

the more games he plays at the highest level the better he will become,he will get fitter his mind will start working faster,and with his goal threat he is very nearly going to be a regular,this kid could score us 12/15 goals from midfield in a season.we have not had that sort of threat from that position for many years.....

the more games he plays at the highest level the better he will become,he will get fitter his mind will start working faster,and with his goal threat he is very nearly going to be a regular,this kid could score us 12/15 goals from midfield in a season.we have not had that sort of threat from that position for many years.....

Its that threat of goals from midfield which is convincing Fergie to keep him around and help him to progress. He has talked in the past about us and our lack of goals from the centre. Suddenly with some decent performances and cracking strikes Darron Gibson has reminded everyone that he can be a useful asset. He is on the right path at Old Trafford and im more than happy to let him continue improving.

Its that threat of goals from midfield which is convincing Fergie to keep him around and help him to progress. He has talked in the past about us and our lack of goals from the centre. Suddenly with some decent performances and cracking strikes Darron Gibson has reminded everyone that he can be a useful asset. He is on the right path at Old Trafford and im more than happy to let him continue improving.

He can do what Scholes stopped doing for us after his blurred vision. We did lose that threat outside the box once Scholesy suffered that. Then we regained it with Ronaldo.

Its one thing ive always had against our own team when we try to walk it in instead of have a go.

Fergie said recently that Gibson gives him a headache because he is so good and then there is Scholes Giggs, Anderson Carrick and Fletcher.

Those little titbits he throws out makes these players take their chances when given them and i reckon that will only bring them on further

It is not luck, it is not flashes in a pan, it is for real. In fact I have closed my mind about Gibson and here is my parting shot at the doubters.
We have been in need of a player like this, someone who can drill with with both feet and accurately as well.

Look at the first goal in this clip.:eek::eek: I watched that match vs SAF jr, but I did not remember this goal in its beauty, but I guess Gibson is the flavor of the month.
Cocks out please.

Look at the first goal in this clip.:eek::eek: I watched that match vs SAF jr, but I did not remember this goal in its beauty.

I had forgotten that as well, what a beauty. IhabX7 posted a downloadable version in the video thread a year ago - here's the link, it's worth seeing again.

Great goals.. Still won't make it at United. Will be a solid player at a club like Everton IMO!

^ Yeah, I agree. All we need now are Gourcuff, Aguero and Dzeko to replace these hacks like Gibson, Welbeck and Morrison who are clearly nowhere near United quality.

He scores some amazing goals :eek:

Somewhat reminiscent of when Beckham came through - I remember at the time a lot were unconvinced about his overall ability but when he scored goals (and he scored plenty) they were almost always special.

Becks was a bit more than a scorer of great goals though.What made him special was the unerring ability to deliver a cross accurately.Gibson is a converted winger and will need to show greater authority in CM which will be a hard task given some of the talent coming through.

I remember a few seasons back when Gibson started training with the 1st team squad Ferguson was raving about him. What Gibson needs now is 1st team experience, you can't doubt his shooting technique. Good to see that he's taken his chance and its about time we have someone who WANTS to shoot at the goal from outside the box.

Very useful player to have to unlock a deep defense.

I've said it before, and I say it again, at his age Fletch wasn't as effective, yet had played are more games. Folks on here have shot memories indeed. Time will make this lad better. I have little doubt.

I have a problem with that argument in the sence that its basically saying give everyone time and everyone will make it

Because at United, they're all talented. While he's got his chance he has to take it. 3 goals in 6 games will do him the world of good but it's just the start for him

I have a problem with that argument in the sence that its basically saying give everyone time and everyone will make it
Wrong. It's saying this lad is clearly talented, with the right attitude and application to make it and should be given time. You didn't see me saying a player like Richardson need time and games, did you? Even though I knew how naturally talented he was.

Because at United, they're all talented. While he's got his chance he has to take it. 3 goals in 6 games will do him the world of good but it's just the start for him
As I said, he has done more with less time, than Fletcher did years ago. That alone should make anyone adopt a wait and see approach to him. Given what happened with Fletch. But some folks just wont learn from their previous mistakes.

Wrong. It's saying this lad is clearly talented, with the right attitude and application to make it and should be given time. You didn't see me saying a player like Richardson need time and games, did you? Even though I knew how naturally talented he was.

As I said, he has done more with less time, than Fletcher did years ago. That alone should make anyone adopt a wait and see approach to him. Given what happened with Fletch. But some folks just wont learn from their previous mistakes.

So just because your saying it now, it gives it some sort of validity? Sorry but I was probably doing something else when you weren't talking about richardson :)

Fletcher was played out of position. He was also not strong enough to win enough tackles in the early days. Gibson has been tried out wide and now is being tried in the centre.

Some people need to learn that 2+2 don't always equal four and you have to be careful. There is no certainty he'll make it. He has to keep progressing AND be good enough to hold the challenge from other players who are all entitled to have a chance.....

Some people need to learn that Gibson ain't fletcher and therefore must prove himself. You can be a first teamer here or a squad player. Gibsons doing well, what more is there to say?

We'll know more once he's played 25+ first team games in a season. It's all about trust for Gibson. If Sir Alex trusts him, he'll continue to play him but your only as good as your last game - more so when your trying to prove your ready. It's a harsh reality

A big part of Gibsons game is his shooting. We saw Fletcher last season grab a few early on and then not score again. Gibson should be looking for double figures and it's up to him to deliver. When cleverly comes back, he'll get his chances in pre season and then we're looking at two good young prospects...

It's competition but if Gibson became a lampard type, he'd be a gem for us and who would have a problem with that? no one..

I don't know, Gibson has done ever so well so far but yet the nutmegs in here say he won't make it ?
To tell you the truth, I knew Fletch would make it, you can see the potential in there when he was playing Vs a top form Viera and was getting tackles in for fun.

Gibson on his day did a good job Vs a strong Spurs side and now a Westham side, okay he did really well, maybe some flaws in his game but certainly just small fry.

If he can get more games on his belt then who knows how good he can become. He might not have the Scholesly class but I'm pretty sure this boy knows how to shoot.

In my eyes, it is a bit too early to say if he can make it or not, but right now, and ever since I saw him. The potential was always there.

So just because your saying it now, it gives it some sort of validity? .
My statement is valid whether he makes it or not. He should be given time. Not giving him time isn't valid. Whether he makes it or not. Understand?:D

Sorry but I was probably doing something else when you weren't talking about richardson :)
Irrelevant!. You suggested I was saying give time to everyone. Richardson proves you wrong.:)

Fletcher was played out of position.
At 22 he was very much used in center midfield and being regularly vilified. Even after performances like that vs Roma, that were cited as "one off"s. IIRC.
Gibson has been tried out wide and now is being tried in the centre.
Which is not what matters. What matter is his center midfield perfomances for us aged 22 are better/more consistent than Fletch managed for us at the same age. Having had miles less playing time. So folks shouldn't be on his back like they have been. But scape goatism is a favorite pass time for many on here.

Some people need to learn that 2+2 don't always equal four and you have to be careful. There is no certainty he'll make it. He has to keep progressing AND be good enough to hold the challenge from other players who are all entitled to have a chance.....
There is no certainty he will make it. Neither is their any that he wont. So why not wait and see? Or is judge now and possibly be vilified later is a better route to take?

Some people need to learn that Gibson ain't fletcher and therefore must prove himself. You can be a first teamer here or a squad player. Gibsons doing well, what more is there to say?
That he should be given time. Just like Fletch was. Which has nothing to do with him or Fletch being alike in any shape or form.,

We'll know more once he's played 25+ first team games in a season. It's all about trust for Gibson. If Sir Alex trusts him, he'll continue to play him but your only as good as your last game - more so when your trying to prove your ready. It's a harsh reality

A big part of Gibsons game is his shooting. We saw Fletcher last season grab a few early on and then not score again. Gibson should be looking for double figures and it's up to him to deliver. When cleverly comes back, he'll get his chances in pre season and then we're looking at two good young prospects...

It's competition but if Gibson became a lampard type, he'd be a gem for us and who would have a problem with that? no one..
We are finally on the same page.

also you have to say that Gibson is coming into a very successful UNited side. It wasnt that easy for Fletch, his emergance was at a bad point for United which if anything increased the pressure and expectations.

Always two sides to that coin.

It's a lot harder to get into successful sides with so many established players and the manager not wanting to disrupt the balance of the team. Fletch had a lot less competition and still looked worse.

You're looking at it from a pro-Fletcher perspective.

Which is not what matters. What matter is his center midfield perfomances for us aged 22 are better/more consistent than Fletch managed for us at the same age. Having had miles less playing time.
Consistent - yes (well, as consistent as you can be over about 15 games). But Fletcher's best performances at that age were significantly better than any that Gibson has done so far. It's just that Gibson brings that extra goal threat that nobody from our central midfield has had since Scholes started dropping deeper in 06/07.

We're yet to see Gibson make an impact in actually controlling the game/stopping the opposition from controlling it. So far his performances have been solid and fairly quiet, except for when he pops up near the penalty box. That's the next step he has to take, and hopefully he will.

Although I'm all for a valid debate, I think everything that can be said about Darren Gibson so far has already been said. Whether he's good enough or not for us, only time will tell, but nobody can say he doesn't deserve to keep getting chances.

No he's probably not going to make it here. We've too many good midfielders. Carrick, Anderson, Fletcher, Scholes, Giggs, Hargreaves, Cleverly, James, Pogba etc. - (not sure what happened to Possebon, he had a good future then 1 bad tackle!)

Anyway at times reminds me of Michael Carrick which is no bad thing. Obviously a useful player as he's playing in the Manchester United first team as a 22 year old. This doesn't happen that often at Liverpool or Chelsea - as Hansen points out!

Not that mobile (neither is Carrick), a bit ponderous, greater physical presence than Carrick in terms of weight. Great long distance shots and he does score - which is useful for a central midfielder.

Probably won't make it - I can't see where he's going to get the games to get better!

Tx

We should run a sweep on how many pot shots he'll take at goal tonight. I'm going for 5.

His tactical awareness, positioning and ability to read danger is still uder development. When Unted is defending, he is basically just marking space. Lacks the aforementioned and lacks the burst of acceleration to close down quickly - so tends not to be so useful when we're defending.

For years most on here stated firmly that Fletcher and O'Shea who used to be called O'Shite on here would only ever be squad players at best! I think we will be hearing the same about Gibson for a couple of years before hopefully he makes the breakthrough! With a shot like he has he will hopefully fulfil the potential!

Didn't impress me tonight but I suspect he was exhausted from saturday. Just a bit too slow moving the ball and too many sloppy passes. Difficult pitch but still would hope for a better display than that. He's had a big week so have to wait and see how things develop from here.

He was shocking today. So was Anderson.
What is it with those two? In Europe against Besiktas and Wolfsburg they've looked awful, yet against Spurs and West Ham, they've done quite well.

Gibson's shooting is a great asset to have, but his all around game needs a lot of work.

He was shocking today. So was Anderson.
What is it with those two? In Europe against Besiktas and Wolfsburg they've looked awful, yet against Spurs and West Ham, they've done quite well.

Gibson's shooting is a great asset to have, but his all around game needs a lot of work.

I really doubt you understood what you were watching.

Anderson and Gibson were quiet today but by no means poor!

I really doubt you understood what you were watching.

He offered little defensively and was giving the ball away almost every time he got the ball. He was poor.

The pitch was appalling in fairness, and we did secure a terrific win against a Wolfsburg side who needed to win, so perhaps I'm being a bit harsh, but Gibson was by no means good.

Maybe comparing Anderson and Gibson to Scholes, Carrick, and even Fletcher is unfair, as the latter three are such efficient users of the ball. But it was quite obvious that Gibson and Anderson put our defence under unnecessary pressure by giving the ball away far too easily.