Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Seems a bit harsh to sell someone with no apparent history of discipline issues when he was out with two other players, one of whom has had quite a few problems, and who is already out the other side of his punishment.

It's just a theory, Evans and Rooney aren't fighting for their careers here. SAF could very well feel that Gibson isn't going to get better anytime soon and it's better for us to move him on (free's squad space for Pogba etc.) as well as Gibson (no good sitting around doing very little).

It's just a theory, Evans and Rooney aren't fighting for their careers here. SAF could very well feel that Gibson isn't going to get better anytime soon and it's better for us to move him on (free's squad space for Pogba etc.) as well as Gibson (no good sitting around doing very little).

I'd probably agree with that but since I'm not at all convinced that Scholes is going to sort the problems we have in midfield I don't think it'd be a bad idea to have Gibson there for if we do have a midfield crisis.

I'd probably agree with that but since I'm not at all convinced that Scholes is going to sort the problems we have in midfield I don't think it'd be a bad idea to have Gibson there for if we do have a midfield crisis.

SAF is in training and knows these players like the back of his hand, perhaps he feels Pogba is ready to take Gibson's role now, no one knows.

Good luck to the lad. Really isn't as bad as people make out, just not quite United quality. The second leg vs Schalke really proved he could play. I'm sure he will prove to be a very good premiership player

SAF is in training and knows these players like the back of his hand, perhaps he feels Pogba is ready to take Gibson's role now, no one knows.

I suspect we'd have seen more of Pogba in the last couple of months if that was the case, but who knows...

2m is nothing. He is decent. Easily worth a lot more.
Money doesnt matter. Hope he gets a good club and does well.
I like Gibbo

We are one a few clubs who look after the interest of youth academy graduates rather than looking solely to profit from them.

Seems a bit harsh to sell someone with no apparent history of discipline issues when he was out with two other players, one of whom has had quite a few problems, and who is already out the other side of his punishment.

I think it was pretty common knowledge that he was on the transfer list during the Summer, but didn't move due to wage issues (whether his side or Sunderland's who knows). I'm making an educated guess that after his misdemeanor Fergie made it abundantly clear that he doesn't have a future at the club.

We are overrating our players.

I'd say he's worth 5-6 million. Considering his contract will end in the summer, then 2m is a fair price.

I thought we'd keep him and let him go for free in the summer given how injury prone Cleverley and Ando are, and the fact our other 2 of 5 CM's have a combined age of 75 with no sign of fresh reinforcements being brought in.

I'd accept pretty much any offer for him. When it's clear a player is so far away from being good enough you just have to get rid.

It is pretty obvious that we are hardly going to get anything for a squad player who can walk away for free in 6 months time - why are people suprised about that?

For 2m we should keep him since we've got too many injured players. That would change if United are determined to bring in a new CM in January

Hope he does well, didn't deserve the extent of criticism he got here but still never more than a squad member.

Not too worried about numbers, we've gained a Scholes and lost a Gibson. I know who I'd rather have on the bench

well shows what we know, cant really be rated at all by sir alex, hasnt really played in our injury crisis and we brought back scholes to play ahead of him

well shows what we know, cant really be rated at all by sir alex, hasnt really played in our injury crisis and we brought back scholes to play ahead of him

What who knows? Most people have been admitting he's not nearly good enough for 2 years.

We'll be relying on a 37 yr old who has been out of professional football for 6 months and who had already shown clear signs of decline. Im not saying that Scholes is finished. The guy is pure quality and may prove useful even if his legs are gone. However, I cant see the reasoning behind selling 1 of the very few fit midfielders we've got when Clev and Fletch are injured and Ando is constantly in and out of the treatment room. Are we so cash strapped? I mean we're talking here about 2m and not Ronaldo's fee

Things change if SAF is set to unveil a new midfielder soon but I much doubt that.

If he wants to leave so he can play his way into Trappatoni's plans then it makes sense for all parties. He isn't good enough for us, even as a squad player and Ferguson obviously feels the same way. Hopefully he leaves and goes on to have a solid enough premiership career.

Thats basically it but then again when he has been given chances for Ireland hes been very disappointing.

Fair point actually, he's been shocking any time he has come on for Ireland.

Imagine being completely out of your depth in the current Irish squad :lol:

:nervous:...take the 2 million and run.

He's 24. He's got CL experience and quite a bit of Premiership experience.

If he was to get a regular run of games he would do very well in all but the top 4 in my opinion.

£2m is a joke, really. He should still be worth near £10m in this climate.

:lol::lol::lol:

Fair point actually, he's been shocking any time he has come on for Ireland.

Imagine being completely out of your depth in the current Irish squad :lol:

:nervous:...take the 2 million and run.

His first "break" for Ireland was in a B international in Dalymount V Ipswich (i think). United fans think they've seen the worst of him but honestly that night Ive never seen a worse performance from a professional footballer in any jersey.

Now hes obviously a lot better than that but the fact he cant adapt his game to fit into Trap's side or even cement his place as a back up, hes done neither.

He's 24. He's got CL experience and quite a bit of Premiership experience.

If he was to get a regular run of games he would do very well in all but the top 4 in my opinion.

£2m is a joke, really. He should still be worth near £10m in this climate.

I agree 2mil is nothing but 10mil? Come on. Don't be silly.

If he had a few years to run on his contract I'd expect bids in the region of 6/7 mil.

He's got the talent, he just doesn't seem to have the head for it. Whether it's a commitment or a confidence issue I don't know. I'd be very interested to see how does with another premier league club after a good run of games

I think it was pretty common knowledge that he was on the transfer list during the Summer, but didn't move due to wage issues (whether his side or Sunderland's who knows). I'm making an educated guess that after his misdemeanor Fergie made it abundantly clear that he doesn't have a future at the club.

Bingo.

New thread in the football forum: "Darron Gibson - is he good enough [for Everton]?"

I don't know about letting him go for 2m with the injuries we have. Fergie played him quite often last year and this year he completely froze him. The going out dinner thing probably didn't help too.

I'd say us wanting to sell him pretty much made it clear he doesn't have a future with us.