Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

To be honest people are treating very small snippets of the truth as gospel. I think theres a lot more to this than we know or even what the manager has said to the press.

The truth isnt always Fergies main concern, the club is.

We don't need to replace him. When everyone is fit, he wouldn't have even been anywhere near the first team anyway.

Pointless signing for Everton when they're crying out for a striker. Can't see it being true unless they're gunna be losing one of Rodwell, Fellaini, Osman, Heitinga or Cahill. Not forgetting they have Barklay coming through too.

Hardly a regular starter. 80 odd league appearances over 5 seasons, he's been in and out for much of his career. Entirely understandable in his first couple of seasons, less so in the last 2. I'm sure I'm not alone in being disappointed with his rate of progress. Neither Moyes nor Stuart Pearce have seemed entirely convinced by him in recent times. Certainly don't see him as the answer to our midfield prayers.

I think its impossible to quibble with an appearance record like that for someone of his age, and its completely unfair to call it five seasons given he was given a couple of games as experience in 07-08. Call it 80 appearances in 3 1/2 seasons which for someone between the age of 17-20 is fantastic.

What the feck is it with people blurting out random rumours without bothering their arses to post a link to the source? Very annoying.

Be madness to let GIbson leave in January without getting another CM to replace him.

I dont think "replacing" Gibson should be our aim.

He barely got a game even when we have had such a mid field crisis.

Surely on his way after joining Rooney for the 'meal'. In the last 3 games we've preferred Rafael, Pogba (taking his bench spot) and Scholes to him, nuff said.

Yeah, we'll just have to see. Notice how there's been no media coverage as to how Gibson's been frozen out.

Pointless signing for Everton when they're crying out for a striker. Can't see it being true unless they're gunna be losing one of Rodwell, Fellaini, Osman, Heitinga or Cahill. Not forgetting they have Barklay coming through too.

Gibson and Cahill strike force?

I really don't understand this at all. You somehow (not somehow but injury and Sunderland messing him about) manage to get yourself a stay of execution and you piss it up the wall.

Was going on the piss before the Blackburn game the final straw? It certainly can't have helped.

Been wondering the same, probably was going anyway and will be made an example for the younger players that remain in the squad.
I'm one of the few that like him in general, but breaching discipline when fighting for a place and the team struggling with injuries is a stupid thing to do.

I reckon £2m is a fair price for him, he really needs to move away and prove he is good enough to play for a team in the PL.

He's 24. He's got CL experience and quite a bit of Premiership experience.

If he was to get a regular run of games he would do very well in all but the top 4 in my opinion.

£2m is a joke, really. He should still be worth near £10m in this climate.

BBC Sport - Everton line up Manchester United ace Darron Gibson

I know people say he's shit but £2m is a disgraceful price. As was selling O'Shea and Brown for a combined £3m. Why do we sell for such low prices sometimes?

Gibson's coming to the end of his contract in summer. Wes was also in a similar position regards his contract. O'Shea was likely on a longer contract, and had to be sold cheaply to help the buying club with his salary. SAF likes to be sure the players that have served the club well are facilitated when they're moved on.

Isn't he out of contract soon anyway? I'm glad we're not pricing him out of a move either way, I don't think he's United standard but he's always struck me as a decent lad, so I wish him all the best wherever he goes.

Edit: Yeah, what Sultan said, basically.

£2m for someone who's got 6 months left on his contract is a great piece of business.

Brown and O'shea were cheap, because they had a year left each. Both over 30, and Wes Brown has a history of long term injuries.

I'm sure he'll become an important player for Everton - great chance for him to prove he's not that bad.

Good luck, Gibbo!

You watch, if he joins another club he'll score a screamer against us.

With more game time comes confidence, so i reckon it is a good deal. We surely can't expect more in terms of the fee.

He's 24. He's got CL experience and quite a bit of Premiership experience.

If he was to get a regular run of games he would do very well in all but the top 4 in my opinion.

£2m is a joke, really. He should still be worth near £10m in this climate.

:wenger:

Players who are surplus to requirements always go for far cheaper than players who clubs want to hang onto (obviously). This is why many Utd players seem to leave us for what we deem not enough cash. The very large majority of our exits are players we no longer require

i hope against hope we try to bring someone else, thats one less central midifelder in our squad if Gibson leave.

Would be a good deal for all parties involved, we receive £2m and save probably around £1.5m in wages (until his contract is up) and he gets his chance at a club that is closer to his ability level.

I still have doubts about whether he will ever be top 8 quality, but if anyone can bring it out of him it's Everton/Moyes.

I would price him around the 6m mark at this point of his career but because he is almost out of contract, 2m is fair

btw, that article is nothing but speculation at the moment

If true, why are we shipping another midfielder when we're already light? Fair enough he may not be our best player but he could easily play ten games over the rest of the season and help to keep the squad fresh.

Probably because he was out and about loafing with Rooney when his United career was on the line.

If true, why are we shipping another midfielder when we're already light? Fair enough he may not be our best player but he could easily play ten games over the rest of the season and help to keep the squad fresh.

not now that Scholes is back..

however, presumably Scholes will drop out again in the summer and with Gibbon presumably gone, I'd expect one in

Seems a bit harsh to sell someone with no apparent history of discipline issues when he was out with two other players, one of whom has had quite a few problems, and who is already out the other side of his punishment.