Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

I have it on pretty good authority that wasnt the case....more the other way round...

Oh I See, well excuse me for listening to what that ITK "Sir Alex Ferguson" or something had to say about it:

'He was on the point of going to Sunderland and somewhere along the line, I don't know exactly when, I think Sunderland moved the goalposts.

'I suppose their job is to try and save money.

'From what I can gather, they gave him an offer and then changed it. That annoyed Darren and I think he's quite right.

'If you can't trust them on day one why wait until day two?'

Had a good season last year I thought.

People slate him for shooting too much but as a team we don't shoot from range nearly enough. Most of our goals seem to from a few yards out.

His problem is lack of mobility and lack of speed and strength.

On the ball is he fine.

Oh I See, well excuse me for listening to what that ITK "Sir Alex Ferguson" or something had to say about it:

yeah exactly, its well documented but for some reason United fans want to follow the lazy journalism route, take 1 rumor and believe it because it suits their argument

Wasn't even on the bench though, was he?

Probably injured as TheReligion is saying, otherwise he would surely have featured today.

He's been the one player I've wanted us to sign for about 2 years now, he will be top, top quality, wait and see.

Not once have I seen evidence that there's more to him than say Henderson.

Completely ordinary, run of the mill player. Can't for the life of me see why people make him out to be a great midfield talent.

Not once have I seen evidence that there's more to him than say Henderson.

Completely ordinary, run of the mill player. Can't for the life of me see why people make him out to be a great midfield talent.

Well, in England it doesnt take much to be rated as a great midfilder. Just look at all the hyped up english midfielders

Well, in England it doesnt take much to be rated as a great midfilder. Just look at all the hyped up english midfielders

If you're talking about Gerrard or Lampard, at least they DO something. And got obvious qualities. Even Scott Parker got some qualities which is plain to see for the neutral observer.

What do Rodwell really got, though? He doesn't do anything particularly well.

If you're talking about Gerrard or Lampard, at least they DO something. And got obvious qualities. Even Scott Parker got some qualities which is plain to see for the neutral observer.

What do Rodwell really got, though? He doesn't do anything particularly well.

His natural athleticism means that he is the perfect physical specimen for a modern day centre midfielder, he's strong, has the stamina to cover ground for 90 minutes and his height means that he is an asset in defensive situations. These are attributes that one is just born with, and its hugely difficult to develop so this alone sets Rodwell aside from many of his young centre midfield contemporaries.

His game as yet in centre midfield is under developed, his position is still lacking and he doesn't seem to have the game intelligence of someone like a Cleverly, possibly this is due to the fact that up until the age of 15/16 he was almost exclusively used as a central defender, so still has a lot to learn in the position which perhaps aside from goalkeeper is most reliant on experience.

Technically however he is extremely sound, well sound enough as a youngster to stand out at every level he has played for England below the senior set up. He is one of the most naturally ambidextrous footballers I have ever seen, and from the perspective of a centre midfielder this skill coupled with his technique gives him so many more passing options, angles and an ability to time a pass that I have rarely seen from someone so young, when he couples these abilities with better game intelligence I see no reason why he will not be able to dictate the tempo of games in a Carrick like manner at the very highest level.

Rodwell is a player who has been a regular starter in team on the fringes of Champions league qualification in the most difficult position on the pitch since the age of 17, and as things stand is still only 20. If we look at the best centre midfielders of the last generation, very few of them had as much experience at the level Rodwell has had by this age, or in my opinion looked as convincing a talent.

I think it's a good move for Gibson. He'll never get enough playing time at United and he's clearly a good PL player IMO.
Best of luck...

His natural athleticism means that he is the perfect physical specimen for a modern day centre midfielder, he's strong, has the stamina to cover ground for 90 minutes and his height means that he is an asset in defensive situations. These are attributes that one is just born with, and its hugely difficult to develop so this alone sets Rodwell aside from many of his young centre midfield contemporaries.

His game as yet in centre midfield is under developed, his position is still lacking and he doesn't seem to have the game intelligence of someone like a Cleverly, possibly this is due to the fact that up until the age of 15/16 he was almost exclusively used as a central defender, so still has a lot to learn in the position which perhaps aside from goalkeeper is most reliant on experience.

Technically however he is extremely sound, well sound enough as a youngster to stand out at every level he has played for England below the senior set up. He is one of the most naturally ambidextrous footballers I have ever seen, and from the perspective of a centre midfielder this skill coupled with his technique gives him so many more passing options, angles and an ability to time a pass that I have rarely seen from someone so young, when he couples these abilities with better game intelligence I see no reason why he will not be able to dictate the tempo of games in a Carrick like manner at the very highest level.

Rodwell is a player who has been a regular starter in team on the fringes of Champions league qualification in the most difficult position on the pitch since the age of 17, and as things stand is still only 20. If we look at the best centre midfielders of the last generation, very few of them had as much experience at the level Rodwell has had by this age, or in my opinion looked as convincing a talent.

Hardly a regular starter. 80 odd league appearances over 5 seasons, he's been in and out for much of his career. Entirely understandable in his first couple of seasons, less so in the last 2. I'm sure I'm not alone in being disappointed with his rate of progress. Neither Moyes nor Stuart Pearce have seemed entirely convinced by him in recent times. Certainly don't see him as the answer to our midfield prayers.

I don't think he's anything more than a squad player but it would be a risk to let Gibson go if we don't have any plans to replace him in this window. We won't keep getting away with putting square pegs in rounds holes all season and he's useful in terms of being able to come in and play ten games a season without kicking up a fuss.

I assume we're getting somebody in for CM then if Gibson is going.

Cleverley is still out, Anderson has only returned and isn't match fit. We don't know when Fletch will be back, and Giggs can't play every match. That leaves Carrick as our only CM who's fit and able to play every match right now.

I really don't want to see either Park or Rafael in CM again. I appreciate players can fill in an odd time in different positions. But I'd rather see actual midfielders play in CM.

It's completely possible if Gibson leaves SAF will trust the kids a bit more, I'd prefer to keep him at the moment though we're way to light in the middle but he does go out of contract in the Summer I think and I doubt he'll sign a new deal.

I suspect he will be let go on a free or a minimal nominal fee. We need bodies in midfield and he can play a useful part in the EL, why not keep him here until the end of the season?