Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
If you are talking lengthy period of time then in my eyes he has disimproved, the lad was imperious in the reserves and only this year has he been given a run in the first team with other first teamers around him. The gaffer picks him in teams that can win certain games. Which is all the lad is asked to to. Comparing Adams who will cost 10 million quid, will want decent wages and was a bit of a big headed twat over his move from he club that gave him a chance to a youth player who despite recommendation from his international manager to leave and abuse form the fans wants to stay is ridiculous.

You think if the Nevilles and Nicky Butt were signed instead of coming through the ranks they woudl have done as well. You think Liverpool were a better team / club for releasing Warnock Owen and Murphy and signing Cisse, Nunez and Josemi?
I concede the bolded part, obviously Gibson would not represent any further cost, but my point was not made to advocate signing Adam, only to point out the stark difference in their respective performances compared to how they are viewed.

Hard to say, again all those 3 had the right attitude to succeed at a big club and that's why they did. My point is that i question whether Gibson has shown the right type of attitude to reasonably presume he may enjoy similar success.

The Liverpool point is a little strange because Owen and Murphy were established first teamers, whereas Gibson is not. Warnock was always considered a talent, to my knowledge he was not sold due to not being good enough he was sold because Rafa wanted more experience and generally placed little value on youth.

That would have to be more attributed to the failings of that particular manager, than anything Warnock did wrong. Again a different scenario to Gibson, he has not done enough to remove doubt, because he has simply not shown the will and desire to be able produce more.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
My point about Liverpool is not about the talent as much as the value to the club of having youth players make up a good part of the squad for various reasons including continuity and identity. Liverpool have been burdened by losing both of those things as a football club.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
And in a slight contradiction, I think he'd struggle to impose as part of any other premiership midfield, I can't see him walking into too many teams. But he knows how we play and can fill in when asked. He played against Bayern last year and looked quite at home.
I think he'd be quite at home at a number of Premierships clubs. He needs to decide if he wants to remain in a comfort zone at United or play more regularly at a club like Wigan, Sunderland or Blackburn regularly.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I think he'll be gone in a few years, but more to do with better younglads coming in, rather than a signing to replace his squad position.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Absolutely, not but this is not Top Trumps, his place in the sqaud is not comparative but if a lad can come in and play 15 games, I think all but one we won, and can do that for 6 seasons he'll be a godsend. To want him gone on some theory about his mentality is a bit odd. Every player is a squad player and if Gibson is happy to play the role he's playing we should be thankful, not critical.
I would agree with that for the main part, but i am not debating whether or not we should be thankful for Darron Gibson, I am stating my concerns regarding why i don't believe he has shown he has what it takes to become a valued and trusted squad member like O'Shea, Butt, P.Nev, fletcher etc.

You claim everybody is a squad player and literally speaking that is true, but there are squad players who frequent the first team more than others. I personally believe we should only have players in the 25 who are either undoubted emerging talents in their respective positions, or serious contenders for the first team.

To my mind Gibson falls into neither category, he is merely teetering on the edge of the squad for the most part, and i'm sorry but i cannot accept that their is a professional player within our squad of 25 who is happy with 15 games a season, mostly against lower opposition.

If you do believe that is indeed the case then we shall simply have to agree to disagree.

As usual moses your points are all perfectly valid, if you base them on certain levels of expectations, and it would appear ours differ considerably in this instance.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
You are right though, he's infuriating in many repsects.
I confess i haven't seem much of him in the reserves, but you are not the first to claim he has produced some fantastic performances for them and as with the others i have no reason to doubt your claims.

Undoubtedly to those who have seen such performances from him, it must be infuriating to see him struggle to reproduce a similar standard for the first team. However as i am not one of those who have witnessed him produce his best form, i can only judge him as a player who has consistently failed to live up to his initial billing, and therefore i personally consider him to be more disappointing, than infuriating.

Maybe it is for this reason we have such differing opinions upon his potential value to the squad. You have seen what he is capable of, while i have not.

Kelvin

On the day o'shea and brown are leaving, gibson is still refusing to go. :mad:

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
On the day o'shea and brown are leaving, gibson is still refusing to go. :mad:
He'll be going somewhere soon enough. Maybe you can calm down a bit then. Raw hatred for a United player is nothing to be proud of.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
In general I am against us selling academy players. I don't think Gibson is anywhere near good enough to be a first team player at utd but he has shown some promise. I say send him out on loan for a year or two, see what he's made of over thirty games or so (ideally in the Prem).

davisjw

In general I am against us selling academy players. I don't think Gibson is anywhere near good enough to be a first team player at utd but he has shown some promise. I say send him out on loan for a year or two, see what he's made of over thirty games or so (ideally in the Prem).
My problem with this is by the time he'd come back after two seasons, he'd be in his mid 20s, not part of the United culture, and probably been replaced.

I think there's something to be said for keeping a young player here until their late teens, sending them out for two seasons until they are 20/21 and then embedding them into the squad. If they don't fit, ship them. But being part of the "family" is extremely important for the way we play and the culture of the club.

It's hard to build that union when players expected to jump right in.

forevrared

In general I thought Gibson was beginning to improve the latter half of last season. I wouldn't mind giving him another shot this season and letting him go for free if he doesn't take the next step.

I was completely against him being anywhere near the first team going into last season, but he did enough I think to warrant another chance.

Kelvin

he might end up staying after-all maybe no one wants to buy him too :nervous:

SittingBull

That's great and all, but what is Sergio Canales u
At United, we strive for perfection, and if we fai

On the contrary, i always feel its best to sell academy players when their stock is at the highest, especially when its clear as day that they are not good enough to push for the first team, as what we did with Kieran Richardson, Bardsley, Campbell etc.

Name Changed

weso26
Now that we have lost Scholes and Hargreaves plus O'Shea, and with Fletcher out, I would prefer if we kept him, until we brought another couple of players in.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Anyone hear the angry caller on the paddy crerand show tonight slagging off Gibson?
Some of our fans are really a disgrace.

He isn`t shit.........he is just not good enough for Manchester United but he would be starter for every team outside of the top 6.

having been omitted from the tour squad i just can't see any future for him at united.
I think too he`s off because he`s in the last year of his contract.

But maybe his daughter is ill again and that`s the reason he stays at home.

Brophs

The One and Only
Gibson would be tricky from a contractual point of view. With a year left if we were to renegotiate you'd think he'd be on something around £30-40k a week. If Fergie doesn't fancy him as anything more than a sixth choice midfielder then it might be a big financial commitment to give him a three or four year deal along with signing on fees when they can get a transfer fee for him this summer.

Fitzjames

Alex Fergusons statement today that Darron Gibson is in "limbo" due to Sunderland not matching his wage requests of £40,000 per week is very interesting and Im not sure what it means.
Fergie has alerted other named interested clubs (Stoke & Wigan) about his wage demands which is almost like acting as his agent.
Yet he goes on to say that Darron was only left out of the Tour Squad because he was thinking about his future.
This looks like he still has Gibson in his plans.
Not exactly sure what it means over the next six weeks.

Mainoldo

Alex Fergusons statement today that Darron Gibson is in "limbo" due to Sunderland not matching his wage requests of £40,000 per week is very interesting and Im not sure what it means.
Fergie has alerted other named interested clubs (Stoke & Wigan) about his wage demands which is almost like acting as his agent.
Yet he goes on to say that Darron was only left out of the Tour Squad because he was thinking about his future.
He just spent a minute or too talking about the players departure and how his disappointed in the buying club not going with their promise. Where does that show has a future for Gibson? A future at another club yes.

Anderson8

He actually said that Gibbo's in 'limbo' because Sunderland gave him an offer, and then withdrew that offer and gave him a different one, and that pissed him off. He said that Gibbo had reason to feel annoyed and that you'd be confused as to whether you could trust the club.

prateik

Fergie didnt mention the 40k did he?
Gibbo has been at the club for a long time. He clearly wasnt too keen on a move. He talked to a club, they offered him a deal, he accepted. Changing the offer after that is going to annoy anyone.

Fergie looking out for players, especially those who have come through the ranks is hardly new.
Sunderland have issued an official statement on their website which says Bruce will talk to Fergie about the matter..

Fitzjames

Fergie didnt mention the 40k did he?
Gibbo has been at the club for a long time. He clearly wasnt too keen on a move. He talked to a club, they offered him a deal, he accepted. Changing the offer after that is going to annoy anyone.

Fergie looking out for players, especially those who have come through the ranks is hardly new.
Sunderland have issued an official statement on their website which says Bruce will talk to Fergie about the matter..
Yes Ive just seen that.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I doubt that we're going to sell Gibson unless we bring in a new CM.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Not seen PIG or Gibson around the squad since end of last season.