Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

How many shots did he take today? A good few. That's a hell of a lot of oxygen you are missing out on.

Well, everytime he's in a good position then. You know what I'm talking about, he knows how to shoot that's for sure.

His overall performance apart from the goal was mediocre. Take nothing away from the strike, top class, but to be a Manchester United midfielder you need to have a lot more... The jury's still out.

off course the jury is still out, he's played less than 20 matches. It's too early to say whether he will make it or not. But give the lad a break, he's not exactly doing anything wrong

He was always gonna be better than Stoke or Hull, the people who made those comments are ignorant of our reserves

My dislike for Gerrard and liking for Gibson prompted me to make the statement to my brother that "Gibson's got a better shot than Gerrard" about 4-5 years ago when he just started out playing for the Reserves - he had a go at me for talking bull at the time but safe to say I've remembered it and childishly gloated over the last few days and there'll be more to come now thanks to another great strike.

I've watched Gibson play since he was 17 for the Academy, he was actually one of my favourite youngsters because he was an all-round midfielder and reminded me of Robson (and oddly enough Gerrard) but after he burst on to the scene looking like a box-to-box powerful midfielder, his progress had certainly slowed down. I think (guessing really) that he may have struggled to adapt to the pace of Championship football which made him struggle when he was on loan to Wolves, the Reserves became too comfortable for him. Now his confidence is really up, we should persevere and give him the chance he's earnt and deserved because he is getting closer to the point where it will be a case of sink or swim. I hope the best for him, have to say I really don't know whether he will ever make it or not - he has the perfect model in Fletcher to learn from how to break into the first team.

Although playing shite at times, he could actually become a good player for us. At least we all know he is a special talent on shooting the ball. I've also seen glimpse of him doing well in getting players involved in build up play. Adding some more aggression and pressing play he could be a useful player for us.
He just have to be more consistent on passing, and keep his composure.

if you could meld gibbo and fletch, you'd have a 35 million quid midfielder.

gibbo will come good, if we can set up a team that accomodates him. love his confidence when pulling the trigger.

My dislike for Gerrard and liking for Gibson prompted me to make the statement to my brother that "Gibson's got a better shot than Gerrard" about 4-5 years ago when he just started out playing for the Reserves - he had a go at me for talking bull at the time but safe to say I've remembered it and childishly gloated over the last few days and there'll be more to come now thanks to another great strike.

I've watched Gibson play since he was 17 for the Academy, he was actually one of my favourite youngsters because he was an all-round midfielder and reminded me of Robson (and oddly enough Gerrard) but after he burst on to the scene looking like a box-to-box powerful midfielder, his progress had certainly slowed down. I think (guessing really) that he may have struggled to adapt to the pace of Championship football which made him struggle when he was on loan to Wolves, the Reserves became too comfortable for him. Now his confidence is really up, we should persevere and give him the chance he's earnt and deserved because he is getting closer to the point where it will be a case of sink or swim. I hope the best for him, have to say I really don't know whether he will ever make it or not - he has the perfect model in Fletcher to learn from how to break into the first team.

good post fella, its worth pointing out that he was carrying a few injuries too. I have my fingers crossed, I think he has a chance.

Good post, he is starting to get regular chances now at the top level and scoring goals along the way so give him a chance people

He played mainly wide right for Wolves which should be taken into account.

He's not afraid to have a shot from outside the box. That's one of the things I like about him. Sometimes I feel we don't test the keeper as much from outside the box, good that he'll do that.

His overall performance apart from the goal was mediocre. Take nothing away from the strike, top class, but to be a Manchester United midfielder you need to have a lot more... The jury's still out.

You like to put a very negative spin on what was a good performance if you include the goal.

Given it's only his, what, 5th start(in the PL and CL) you can't be expecting much more.

All he can do is take his chances. The big thing for him is his goals. He has that confidence now and so it's not suprisisng if he does score. However eventually comes expectation

He's got a way to go obviously but we need more goals from midfield and goodluck to him. I hope he can step up his efforts for the republic too as we need someone who can get goals from midfield.

Scoring goals is always a big plus.
He has something special of him. Wouldn't mind giving more chance to him.

He looked like he has a fair turn of pace today aswell, he's got an amazing shot; feck me can he kick that football, plus his confidence is obviously very high - was a very good move to play him again today.

I think he works very well in a 3 man midfield as it allows him to get just outside the box and in range without worrying as much as if it were a 2man mid. I don't think his passing is much upto a 2man midfield either.

Funny isn't it, you'd have expected that Scholes goal to be the goal of the weekend. Gibson was having none of that.

1) He's done well in reserves apparently but why should reserve play mean anything? David Jones stood out in the reserves. Huge gulf in class. Championship play is closer to Premiership play than the reserve league.

2) Why do people give him a pass for his Wolves spell since he was played on the right yet when comparing him to Fletcher's struggles from 03-06 they don't mention Fletcher played on the right frequently?

Granted I'm warming up to the player. Hope he does well. It's in the best interest of the club if he develops. He also strikes me as the type that would remain at United and accept a second string role. Nani I doubt will accept that sort of fate.

When he's got time and space he can be lethal. It's just when he's under pressure he's a lot more shaky than any of our other midfielders.

Anderson and Hargreaves can carry or shield the ball, Carrick is a fantastic first-time passer on either foot and Scholes and Fletcher are very good at manoeuvring their feet to create space - Gibson has none of this. He's not a good first time passer, he's slow to manoeuvre his feet and he's not quick enough to shield the ball while running.

Because of this he slows down our play quite a bit at times, but I'd expect that at a young age. If he can learn to pass first time like Carrick then he'll be alright because he's very two footed.

Brwned, that makes it sound as if he certainly doesn't have the class to remain at United for the long term unless he develops at least one or two of those traits the others possess.

Fletcher wasn't very good at turning or shielding the ball until 2-3 seasons ago. It can be learnt

I agree, but for every Fletcher there's a Richardson. Good isn't enough at United. There's no guarantee he will or won't make it because other players have. He deserves a chance to show what he can do though.

Brwned, that makes it sound as if he certainly doesn't have the class to remain at United for the long term unless he develops at least one or two of those traits the others possess.

I think he can develop his first time passing.

I agree, but for every Fletcher there's a Richardson. Good isn't enough at United. There's no guarantee he will or won't make it because other players have. He deserves a chance to show what he can do though.

I agree. I just hope people give him a little patience to show what he can do.

This...

I always thought he had the talent, i faintly remember he was quite immense when he first broke into our reserves, just efore he was shipped out to Antwerp. Then again a lot of youngsters shine in the academy and reserves before fizzling later. But the loan moves and injuries halted his development and apparently his confidence and attitude as well, he looked well lethargic during his time at Wolves. But i'm happy to see that he seems to be back on track now. Could become a fairly useful player.

For every Fletcher there are about 10 Richardsons

Fletcher wasn't very good at turning or shielding the ball until 2-3 seasons ago. It can be learnt

It can be learnt, but you need to be light on your feet as well.. Gibsons a big lad, so it'll be harder for him to improve on his swiftness of foot when it doesn't come natural to him. Hopefully he can though as Carricks mobility isn't that amazing either so He should aspire to reach that level at least.

When he's got time and space he can be lethal. It's just when he's under pressure he's a lot more shaky than any of our other midfielders.

Anderson and Hargreaves can carry or shield the ball, Carrick is a fantastic first-time passer on either foot and Scholes and Fletcher are very good at manoeuvring their feet to create space - Gibson has none of this. He's not a good first time passer, he's slow to manoeuvre his feet and he's not quick enough to shield the ball while running.

Because of this he slows down our play quite a bit at times, but I'd expect that at a young age. If he can learn to pass first time like Carrick then he'll be alright because he's very two footed.

Fletch was a lto worse for the same thing at the same age. I remember a time when everyone used to get nervous when the ball went to him in the middle because he would inevitably either turn like an oil tanker and get tackled, or panic and pass the ball back to the keeper/deepest centre half losing us all our momentum.

Players like Darron Gibson wont get many chances - they have to take them, and thats exactly what Darron did. The commentator during the game today said that in addition to his 2 goals against Spurs - he actually hit a teammate with 61 out of 69 passes - now that is Keane/Scholes class - when they were at their best.

So what happened - he is rewarded with a place in the starting line-up in the next game and scores another cracking goal - even better than his 2 Spurs-goals.

I know there was a lot of moaning about our central midfield - but after his performance against Spurs, Ferguson knew he couldnt leave him out. And GOD - how I have missed having a Lampard-type of player in our side. You know the type of player who always finds space 20-30 yards from goal and who lets fly. Imagine if Carrick and Fletcher could do this more often!

He's obviously brilliant at shooting. But is that it? Does he have something more that could make him an exceptional player? So far, I dont see it

Players like Darron Gibson wont get many chances - they have to take them, and thats exactly what Darron did. The commentator during the game today said that in addition to his 2 goals against Spurs - he actually hit a teammate with 61 out of 69 passes - now that is Keane/Scholes class - when they were at their best.

So what happened - he is rewarded with a place in the starting line-up in the next game and scores another cracking goal - even better than his 2 Spurs-goals.

I know there was a lot of moaning about our central midfield - but after his performance against Spurs, Ferguson knew he couldnt leave him out. And GOD - how I have missed having a Lampard-type of player in our side. You know the type of player who always finds space 20-30 yards from goal and who lets fly. Imagine if Carrick and Fletcher could do this more often!

Agree. I though Jones had chance of making it and take his chances, but guess not. James is another who can grab the chance like Gibbo. He like Fletcher can make it as long as he works hard and keeps his head down.

Great strike today. If he sets his foot on the ball straight, every keeper is in trouble. He has always looked like scoring from distance. His passing is good as well, ala Carrick he moves like him, needs a little more space and time on the ball to make a good pass. He has the eye as well - that pass to Rooney in the first half was terrific, sliced the defence.

He could be an important player for us in the future, shots like that unlock tightly packed defences. Great for the lad today happy for him

He's obviously brilliant at shooting. But is that it? Does he have something more that could make him an exceptional player? So far, I dont see it

I think his passing isnt as bad as some are saying