Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Giggs didnt do much
We always step up the tempo in the last 10-15 minutes if needed.
Fresher legs + experience obviously helps, but I dont buy the 'we looked like a different team because of Gibson going off" argument

We created a lot of great chances in the first 75 minutes and shouldve been comfortably ahead

He doesnt take the game by the scruff of the neck and dominate midfield. Whether or not he can add that to the game, I do not know. But he is 5th, maybe 6th choice at united. And I dont mind him at all. He is a very decent squad player who will only get better with games/experience

Obviously I wouldnt be confident if he was our first choice. I dont think he is good enough. But I dont want him out
And I thought he did alright today.

This

Giggs didnt do much
Fresher legs + experience obviously helps, but I dont buy the 'we looked like a different team because of Gibson going off" argument

We created a lot of great chances in the first 75 minutes and shouldve been comfortably ahead

He doesnt take the game by the scruff of the neck and dominate midfield. Whether or not he can add that to the game, I do not know. But he is 5th, maybe 6th choice at united. And I dont mind him at all. He is a very decent squad player who will only get better with games/experience

Obviously I wouldnt be confident if he was our first choice. I dont think he is good enough. But I dont want him out

If he's not good enough he won't be here.Utd won't be carrying passengers next season with the likes of Cleverly,Tunnicliffe,Pogba knocking and the probable addition of another CM.

In his defence I thought he was more effective than the much touted Rodwell

He just makes our midfield look average. That's all. I don't hate him, but the fact he is present in the team and gets as many games as he has just shows how lacking we are in that department.

Did very little to inspire or threaten and the one thing he has been good at (long range shooting) was woeful as well.

Do we need to sell him? Probably not...but if someone offered us 5 million for him we'd be stupid to keep him at OT. Nothing he's done proves he's going to be that guy for us. That guy who wins games, or even keeps us in title chases.

Average, slow and one dimensional. That's Gibbo for you.

Giggs didnt do much

He done nothing today, except firing 3 wild shots where passing would have been a better option. He should have came off at half time, and then he played the role of the invisible man in the 2nd half and touched the ball no more than 5 times.

I guess I'm the only 1 who didn't think he was that bad. He was given some defensive responsibilties today and did them well. He was poor going forward though.

It was no surprise he came off but not because he was so shit but because Everton offered nothing going the other way so bringing Giggs on and shifting Rooney into central midfield made loads of sense.

S10465609-10.jpg

Special Joystick just for Gibbo.

:lol: That's so good.

Incidentally, is his shooting actually that good? He hasn't scored in so long now despite having so many shots per game.

I'd love to see his shots to goal ratio compared to other midfielders out there, eh... except Anderson.

Not good enough, and that's not something I say about much players in this squad.

We pretty much dominated a game against a team in great form. Gibson is a very valuable squad player. If we sell him the chances are his replacement will be of similar quality.

He wasn't bad - he did his job today which was to play second fiddle to Ando - almost the role Carrick is asked to play when he partners with Ando/Giggs. I don't think Gibbo will make it here but, today was definitely not a game where you say - look not United quality. He did his job well today but, didn't really stand out.

I thought he had a decent enough game today, i think people are focusing too much on those shots he took one of which was on target resulting in a corner kick & the other two i admit way off the mark. Other than that while he can perform a lot better he did his job today.

I guess I'm the only 1 who didn't think he was that bad. He was given some defensive responsibilties today and did them well. He was poor going forward though.

It was no surprise he came off but not because he was so shit but because Everton offered nothing going the other way so bringing Giggs on and shifting Rooney into central midfield made loads of sense.

I agree with you about his performance today. In a two man central midfield, and in a team with a number of changes, a player who sits and distributes the ball simply is perfectly adequate. His shooting was very poor, I admit, but that didn't really detract from his performance in the role that he was given.

It appears that once people have made up their minds about a player no amount of evidence will persuade them otherwise unless it becomes embarrassing to deny it any longer. This pattern has played out over and over again.

I always feel sorry for players when this happens because their actual performances become largely irrelevant. I can't honestly remember a really poor perfromance from Gibson this season, and as a squad player who has played in perhaps a dozen or so games, there's absolutely nothing wrong with his quality given his status and role within the club.

It appears unlikely that he will ever become a first team regular -- although that has been said about others in the recent past and turned out not to be true -- and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he eventually moved on and was replaced by a more talented prospect. But I would argue that he hasn't really done anything to warrant much of the criticism that he has received.

I agree with you about his performance today. In a two man central midfield, and in a team with a number of changes, a player who sits and distributes the ball simply is perfectly adequate. His shooting was very poor, I admit, but that didn't really detract from his performance in the role that he was given.

It appears that once people have made up their minds about a player no amount of evidence will persuade them otherwise unless it becomes embarrassing to deny it any longer. This pattern has played out over and over again.

I always feel sorry for players when this happens because their actual performances become largely irrelevant. I can't honestly remember a really poor perfromance from Gibson this season, and as a squad player who has played in perhaps a dozen or so games, there's absolutely nothing wrong with his quality given his status and role within the club.

It appears unlikely that he will ever become a first team regular -- although that has been said about others in the recent past and turned out not to be true -- and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he eventually moved on and was replaced by a more talented prospect. But I would argue that he hasn't really done anything to warrant much of the criticism that he has received.

He doesn't warrant starting though either

I've not made up my mind on him. Believe me, as an Irishman, I'd love for him to go on and be a mainstay in both teams. For Ireland, he gets on the ball from time to time and gets it wide. Today he just did nothing, and worse - doesn't appear to have the confidence of his teammates who bypass him.

I think he's a fairly decent footballer and yes, him being our 5th choice isn't a bad state of affairs by any manner or means, but I've seen enough of him now to know what sort of player he is. Rather see Cleverly given a chance next season, and yes we do need to sign an established midfield man, because he's plainly not good enough to be starting for us in the middle.

I've not made up my mind on him. Believe me, as an Irishman, I'd love for him to go on and be a mainstay in both teams. For Ireland, he gets on the ball from time to time and gets it wide. Today he just did nothing, and worse - doesn't appear to have the confidence of his teammates who bypass him.

I think he's a fairly decent footballer and yes, him being our 5th choice isn't a bad state of affairs by any manner or means, but I've seen enough of him now to know what sort of player he is. Rather see Cleverly given a chance next season, and yes we do need to sign an established midfield man, because he's plainly not good enough to be starting for us in the middle.

In the case of injuries,suspensions or wanting to rest certain players, Gibson can be useful.It's not like he's forcing SAF to play him

He's reasonably solid. Nothing more.

The infuriating thing when watching him play is the lack of impetus, he shows for the ball less than other central players especially when one of the centre halves has the ball, he doesn't drive forward in the way Anderson does, and he can't spray the ball a la Scholes. All-in-all he just doesn't really do much.

Everything's just a bit one dimensional, and although he'll score a great goal every now and again it's not enough. He wasn't terrible today, but just like the majority of his performances he failed to make any real sort of impact on the game. It's happening too often, I can't see him staying round for too much longer to be honest.

edit: however there were boos around me today when he came off though which I thought was shocking. How you can boo your own player is beyond me. Mindless knobs.

I thought he didn't look the best going backwards today. I do dislike how he's the 'assumed' outside of the box shooter. I dislike players (like Lampard and despite his record) from midfield who shoot at every opportunity, piss me off no end.

Haha. No surprise to see this thread at the top when I logged on.

Cards on the table now and this guy shouldn't be starting any games for us outside of the carling cup. He offers us nothing more than a sideways pass and a hopeful shot on goal.

I appreciate he was pretty much the defensive foil in a midfield duo with Anderson (who was outstanding) but I expect so much more from a Manchester United player than that.

I very much doubt he'll ever be a consistent starter for United, but as a squad player he's probably okay. I really can't envision a Fletcher-esque development from him, nor can I see him utilizing his shot to become like a Gerrard or Lampard type player, simply because I don't know if he has the mobility or overall creativity for the role.

He may go onto have a career like O'Shea and Brown however, maybe even with a real stand-out season ala Brown 2008.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was sold though.

I would agree with that, apart from your assessment of his performance today.

I think that the problem that some people have is that they mistake the fact that he is currently at the club and is one of several options (and probably the fourth or fifth) with him somehow being seen a long term player for the club. But that's not necessarily the case with any player.

Some might suggest that we should have a better player, but you can say that about almost every player in the squad. The fact is that he is the one at the club at the moment and he has helped us through some important games and periods over the last few years.

Through the years dozens of players that were never going to be good enough to have a long term future have played games for the club and then been swiftly moved on and replaced by better players.

I don't think he's good enough to have a short term future here either though Joga

He has glaring issues with his game at this level (lack of speed, apparent lack of instinct, difficulty imposing himself on a game, and more recently a dire shot which was his one stand out strength)

I think it would be very easy to improve upon him in the transfer market. More hopefully, Fergie has a young lad up his sleeve to show a bit more and make the most of his opportunity, in a way Gibson never really has

I thought he had a decent game, broke up play well and picked a few good passes.

He came off because we needed a little bit extra which Giggsy obviously gave, but his game in terms of passing, breaking up play and positioning was decent.

I see no urgency from him. He tends to jog around the field and makes little effort to close people down or move into space when we have possession. Just lackadaisical, IMO.

I thought he had a decent game, broke up play well and picked a few good passes.

He came off because we needed a little bit extra which Giggsy obviously gave, but his game in terms of passing, breaking up play and positioning was decent.

He did none of the above.

And he looks slow and unfit.

I agree with your general point but I don't think it's the case with Gibson. IMHO, he hasn't given us nearly enough 'evidence' to suggest he isn't a major step down from the other midfielders we have. If his role is to play 7 or 8 games of lesser importance a season then he has a future but beyond that I can't see him figuring when everyone's fit, which is more often than not the criteria by which we judge players.

I'm surprised there is quite so much hate for his performance today, he certainly wasn't shit, well not imo, he just didn't really contribute much in any department.

It's not as if he played really shit, he just didn't do enough, and what he did do, he did competently

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that's enough, to just be competent, but didn't think the performance are as bad as some are making out

Has kind of grown on me with all the flack he receives. He hasn't really shown much in his bag of tricks to offer any positives for the future. I think he's destined for mid-table career, like Greening or Curtis went on to enjoy.

Fletcher always had the hustle and he could pick out a great pass or cross here and there, while Nani always had that flair and pace, and game-changing ability, nothing Gibson has ever shown other than the ability to hit a pile driver from 30 yards out. And those are becoming quite rare from him.

Best of luck to him down the road.

He did none of the above.

And he looks slow and unfit.

you're seeing what you want to see.

give him a break, he did OK today. He did a job that was required, which was to sit back and get forward when required. He passed the ball to the right players and came in strong in a few challenges.

I really didn't notice him much at all during the match. Similar to Rodwell, whose name I didn't hear until he took that shot.

I understand squad players lacking quality in their game. What I don't get with Gibson is his lack of effort off the ball. On occasions he just stands there instead of going into space looking for the ball. He was jeered in the second half, and one of the players had a go at him.

He's basically someone you want to put in your team as a last resort.

He did the job he was asked to do and did it well --- he barely misplaced a pass kept it simple and allowed Anderson freedom.
Gibson is in the squad because the Boss and his staff think he is worth his place its as simple as that. Some of the anti-Gibson comments are so stupid it highlights just how little knowledge some fans have.

you're seeing what you want to see.

give him a break, he did OK today. He did a job that was required, which was to sit back and get forward when required. He passed the ball to the right players and came in strong in a few challenges.

For someone playing in central midfield he was noticable by his abscence. Either out of his depth or going through the motions. He played deep and was second to the ball on a number of occasions. I don't think he did his job well at all today, Anderson carried him.

I've seen him play enough to have a informed opinion on him.

A genuine contender for the most outlandish post i've ever seen on here. Please explain?

11 appearances this year in the league. 18 overall in all comps. Without him for those 18 games, we'd be struggling. He's done a good job when he's come in (especially in games like the Arsenal FA Cup game) and allows players to be rested.