Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welbeck almost has a cult following, which I never fully understood.

Its almost Kagawa-esque.

If he wasn't a homegrown talent straight from the academy and was instead some striker from Macedonia, fans would have lost patience with him a long time ago.

Weirder things have happened. Adebayor joined Arsenal as a 21 year old, having scored 8,9, and 1 goals in his two and a half seasons at Monaco, where he played lots of games.
He then scored 4 goals in the second half of 2005/06, 8 goals in 29 the season after.
He then hit 24 in 36 and 10 in 26.

No reason why Welbeck can't score a good number of goals under Wenger, who we all know is good with strikers and is extremely patient. He's right up Wenger's street, to be honest. Anywhere else and I wouldn't back him to start scoring as much.

It really wouldn't surprise me if he starts scoring goals, and I don't even rate Welbeck as highly as some on here.

Not to mention he has this ability to win the ball back from the opposition and considering how much pace Walcott, Sanchez, Ox has could result in a number of goals.

Which would make Welbeck all the more treasured among fans as he actually looked like he could go all the way.
Danny will score goals for them, 10-20 goals a season. More than that I doubt it. 10-20 goals is fine if you have another striker chipping in with the same. That's why Arsenal needed someone prolific not yet more potential.

Problem for Danny is that there has always been better than him available to play in his preferred position, unless we had an injury crisis. We have now signed another player who is better than him in his preferred position, so he was never going to play there. At Arsenal he will get his chance to either prove us right or prove us wrong.

Is RvP much better than Welbeck though? Stats from last season prove that he's not far off RvP at all, we don't really know how Welbeck will perform if he was given a run of 10 games starting as a CF because that's never happened at United. What we do know is that when given a run of games last season as a CF, Danny scored 5, assisted 2 in 6 games. If he still gets dropped after those performances then you have to wonder what he has to do to get in the first team ahead of RvP.

Danny will score goals for them, 10-20 goals a season. More than that I doubt it. 10-20 goals is fine if you have another striker chipping in with the same. That's why Arsenal needed someone prolific not yet more potential.

In our 06-07 season our highest scorer was Ronaldo with 23 in all competitions. Maybe 17 in the league. The goal scorer distribution was evenly spread out though.

Arsenal need a focal point, and Welbeck can provide that, however he is also great at bringing others into the attack. Ramsey, Ox, Ozil, Cazorla, Walcott... they'll thrive playing with him. In the 3 months that Giroud is out, I'm sure that unit will do more than enough to stay in the chase.

1. average player , local hard working lad wants starting position at manchester united
2. manchester united wants to win the league
Pick one

If he scores around 15-20 goals they have Ramsey, Cazorla, Sanchez and perhaps Walcott who all score regularly. Problem for us is that we expect our strikers to score almost all of our goals while Arsenal can spread that burden more.

Is RvP much better than Welbeck though? Stats from last season prove that he's not far off RvP at all, we don't really know how Welbeck will perform if he was given a run of 10 games starting as a CF because that's never happened at United. What we do know is that when given a run of games last season as a CF, Danny scored 5, assisted 2 in 6 games. If he still gets dropped after those performances then you have to wonder what he has to do to get in the first team ahead of RvP.
When RVP is fit there is no competition. Last season is the best we have seen of Danny. I didn't want him to go and certainly not to Arsenal, I really don't get why someone thinks that is a good idea. Danny wanted to go there. I am sorry he has gone. Will I be shedding tears over it, no not really. He has burnt his bridges now, so good luck to him. Arsenal are depending on him to now go out and score goals.

Jesus christ, how can you say that. Hope its just the glasses, its not a coincidence only United fans rate him.

You cannot play Sturridge as a winger or centre attacking mid because he doesn't have the all around game to do a good job there. Welbeck can play those positions and has been chosen to play those time and time again. If we're talking about an out and out goal getter then sure, at this moment, Sturridge has him beat but give it a few years and I guarantee he'll be better than him.

Its baffling isnt it?

A few weeks ago he was being listed as 'deadwood' by a few posters here, and now that we've sold him to Arsenal its suddenly like we've offloaded Gerd Muller.

Are you sure that those who listed him as 'deadwood' are the same posters who now think he is world class?

I will make an easy prediction. Welbeck will become a fan favorite at Arsenal. Most of the fans might have wanted Cavani or Falcao instead, but Welbeck is the type of striker that Wenger has breed through over the years he has been at the club. Although, most of them ended up leaving, their accomplishment was not forgetten.

Nevertheless, at the end of all of this, Arsenal fans will be glad they bought him over the more expensive option because most notably, Welbeck will work much harder, he is a team player rather than an individual and he has the drive/ambition to achieve great things. If you have doubt about his goal ratio, you should probably be aware that his goal ratio when played as a striker is good enough for any top team. Looking at how things turned out, I would have been much more content if you guys took back Van Persie, but we can not do anything about the past. He will be a great signing for Arsenal.

Bullshite. It was thanks to him and Rooney/Januzaj amongst few others that we did not finish less than seventh. When he had his spell upfront, he managed to make Moyes win manager of the month, which should be an accomplisment of itself. Welbeck and Kagawa suffered the most in regards to the type of football we played last season.
Moyes never won manager of the month last season :confused:

If he scores around 15-20 goals they have Ramsey, Cazorla, Sanchez and perhaps Walcott who all score regularly. Problem for us is that we expect our strikers to score almost all of our goals while Arsenal can spread that burden more.
That is more to do with our midfielders then. Hopefully that will change.

Its almost Kagawa-esque.

If he wasn't a homegrown talent straight from the academy and was instead some striker from Macedonia, fans would have lost patience with him a long time ago.

Which is why people are bemoaning the loss of Cleverley right?

That statement is a bit ridiculous tbh. If you're talking about a bit of last season, when RvP was injured for large parts, then you definitely have a point. But as players and as far as their ability goes, RvP's on a different level.

That's not saying Welbeck will never reach those heights, but trying to convince ourselves Welbeck was an equal to someone like RvP...that's just taking it too far IMO.

I posted earlier in this thread - Welbeck or RvP? As individuals - RvP, but taking other variables into account (age, injury record, what other type players we have available, wages and squad balance) I'd have kept Welbeck, but I'm under no illusion thinking Welbeck is close to an "in form" RvP's level.

Apparently Welbeck has said in his first interview with Arsenal's press team that he's delighted to be moving to a club that can offer Champion's League football. Ooooh, spicy :lol:

:lol: Ouch.

Probably out of context but still "funny 'cos its true".

Danny has chosen to go and who to. LvG would likely have given him some games, but Danny wanted more, to his credit. He went, he doesn't play for us anymore, so I will not be giving him a thought any more. I will save my thoughts for the players who are still here and want our support.

In our 06-07 season our highest scorer was Ronaldo with 23 in all competitions. Maybe 17 in the league. The goal scorer distribution was evenly spread out though.

Arsenal need a focal point, and Welbeck can provide that, however he is also great at bringing others into the attack. Ramsey, Ox, Ozil, Cazorla, Walcott... they'll thrive playing with him. In the 3 months that Giroud is out, I'm sure that unit will do more than enough to stay in the chase.
This is actually why I can see him thriving at Arsenal and in their system. He's not going to score you 30-40 goals, but with Walcott, Ramsey, Ox, Carzola, Sanchez all chipping in he could well have a huge impact for them because there's one thing none of us can doubt about Welbeck - it's his link up play and ability to get others involved.

Yep, which is still being overlooked whilst we're busy stockpiling strikers...
Don't think it was overlooked, just they couldn't get who they wanted for whatever reason. January or next summer that might be addressed as we definitely don't need strikers. There might be players available who weren't this summer.

During his era, yes. But his is not the only era of Manchester United, and there'll be many more to come. No one is bigger than the club. Roll with the punches, or cry over spilt milk. Your choice.
no one is crying here. if fans dont show disapproval over something that displeases them then how will the club be in touch with its fans? whats the point of the green and gold protest or any other for that matter if we are all "part of an era". am i supposed to just approve of everything the club does?

if we develop a player for a decade and without giving him a real chance (even though he shows some potential) we sell him off, i cant approve of that.

One things for sure wengers the ideal manager to take him to whatever his top level is.

BwfC4pPIAAE5OSs.jpg:large

Arsenal are a funny club.

When RVP is fit there is no competition. Last season is the best we have seen of Danny. I didn't want him to go and certainly not to Arsenal, I really don't get why someone thinks that is a good idea. Danny wanted to go there. I am sorry he has gone. Will I be shedding tears over it, no not really. He has burnt his bridges now, so good luck to him. Arsenal are depending on him to now go out and score goals.

We'll see. Personally, I'd have dropped RvP to the bench and played Danny upfront this season alongside Rooney. Then rotated Rooney and RvP for the season. Danny just brings much better balance to our team when played as a CF as shown in his pre season games. I also think if given a run of games as a CF he'd blossom (as proven last year).

It's one of these subjects that can be talked to death, but the proof will come from Danny's performances in the coming months.

You do realise that getting rid of Welbeck makes it much more likely that it doesn't happen to Wilson, as the rest of our current strikers will be winding down just as he should be coming ready to be a regular for us.

True, but rooney is 28 and so is falcao. I would hardly call that winding down. in two years he will be 21-22 and then we might just discard him and buy another world class striker or two. thats hardly a guarentee. that being said welbeck not being there gives him less competition, but welbeck going on loan would have done the same thing. i dont see the logic in selling him.

no one is crying here. if fans dont show disapproval over something that displeases them then how will the club be in touch with its fans? whats the point of the green and gold protest or any other for that matter if we are all "part of an era". am i supposed to just approve of everything the club does?

if we develop a player for a decade and without giving him a real chance (even though he shows some potential) we sell him off, i cant approve of that.
He got plenty of chances. Just like it's up to zaha force his way into being a starter, welbeck had to do the same, and couldn't. No one's going to start him over the likes of Rooney when he isn't good enough to.

And people sure are posting like they're crying.

He got plenty of chances. Just like it's up to zaha force his way into being a starter, welbeck had to do the same, and couldn't. No one's going to start him over the likes of Rooney when he isn't good enough to.

he got plenty of chances to play on the wing. not as a CF. some people need to watch a few more games before they start writing crap. Ofcourse hes not better than rooney or van persie. but he offers something else - pace up front. the ability to run behind. his finishing would possibly improve if he would be put in those positions where he can score more regularly not as LW. I suggest again - go look at his stats as a CF. maybe then your perspective will have some facts to back it.

Which is why people are bemoaning the loss of Cleverley right?

Not exactly comparable. Its been apparent for a few years now that Cleverley is a limited player and will most likely amount to nothing for us, Welbeck on the other hand has had glimpses of promise and the odd MOM performance.

But even when he's performed well last season and at the start of this season he's still had to sit out in favor of Van Persie and Rooney despite the fact that the team has functioned alot better when he's replaced one of the strikers. In fact he should've started both of our first two games over RvP who's clearly not fit yet.

But even when he's performed well last season and at the start of this season he's still had to sit out in favor of Van Persie and Rooney despite the fact that the team has functioned alot better when he's replaced one of the strikers. In fact he should've started both of our first two games over RvP who's clearly not fit yet.
Has LvG decided he wasn't up to it or has Giggs said he doesn't have the composure to start up front regularly. People in the past have not exactly been thrilled when we have been left with Danny and Chicharito as our only striking options. Funny how some of Danny's best games have been in the big european games. Maybe Wenger wants to make sure they actually get out of their group and try to win the Cl.

Baffled by the amount of people here rating Welbeck. Average play with the potential to be a good one, quite frankly not good enough for the club.

Not exactly comparable. Its been apparent for a few years now that Cleverley is a limited player and will most likely amount to nothing for us, Welbeck on the other hand has had glimpses of promise and the odd MOM performance.

Of course, it is comparable. You were implying that the only reason Welbeck has fans is because he's home grown which is complete and utter bs.

he got plenty of chances to play on the wing. not as a CF. some people need to watch a few more games before they start writing crap. Ofcourse hes not better than rooney or van persie. but he offers something else - pace up front. the ability to run behind. his finishing would possibly improve if he would be put in those positions where he can score more regularly not as LW. I suggest again - go look at his stats as a CF. maybe then your perspective will have some facts to back it.
Ooh she's got claws! Pipe down princess.

It's not only about chances in games. Managers work with and judge players in training on a daily basis. They judge them when they actually play in the various positions they do. Then they decide who they pick. And three managers, Sir Alex, Moyes, and now LVG, all thought he wasn't good enough at her time to be a starter ahead of the big two. So yeah, he got plenty of chances whether you'd like to believe that or not. If were going to follow you're line of thinking then every player must get a long run of games in their best position, even if their manager doesn't deem them worthy based on what he's seeing on a daily basis which is pure madness. That way Kagawa never got a chance either. In fact these three managers, two of them are top drawer just love not giving top players chances.

As for him offering something different, it's irrelevant given he didn't want to be the alternative, he wanted to start, which again comes back to the crux that he isn't better ban what we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.