Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't care either way that United fans applauded him. It was always going to go one way or another. I'd rather we gave him a bit of a clap than give him a hostile reception like RVP got when he first returned to the Emirates, and still gets.

For the most part, we are not very bitter about players leaving, and the only player in recent times who has had a hostile reception is Tevez, but he's a cnut, and Danny isn't.

I had no doubt Danny would celebrate like he did if he scored. Unlike some fans, I don't believe he deserved any applause from us. It was more important to him to make some point to the club - when he asked to leave - than to show some respect to the fans. Notice when he left, he never said one word of thanks to the fans or nobody. I swear our foreign players have more respect for the club than the entitled British footballers.
At least he's a local lad, to some that means you should get recognition. But is it true that he didnt even thank the fans? Cant remember that.

Don't care either way that United fans applauded him. It was always going to go one way or another. I'd rather we gave him a bit of a clap than give him a hostile reception like RVP got when he first returned to the Emirates, and still gets.

For the most part, we are not very bitter about players leaving, and the only player in recent times who has had a hostile reception is Tevez, but he's a cnut, and Danny isn't.

Yes, he is.

This shall, however, be my last comment about the cnut.

At least he's a local lad, to some that means you should get recognition. But is it true that he didnt even thank the fans? Cant remember that.
He didn't release anything thanking the fans.

Bar his goal he was poor. Everyone has acknowledged that. No need to overrate his performance.

I think that he gave Smalling a hard time yesterday, he won a lot of duel against him to be honest, and if Smalling was so poor, Welbz has a lot in that

But I still can't forgive him this celebration. That's annoying.

You need to relax ... I didn't like the Moyes standing ovation at all, but I wasn't there and the fans are welcome to applaud him if they feel they should, and tbf if there had been no plane, there wouldn't have been any standing ovation either.

Whereas I find absolutely nothing wrong to applaud Welbeck, the same way I find nothing wrong that the crowd seems to care and sing more about Ronaldo at times than our own current players (and don't forget that Ronaldo didn't always behave like an angel either, but if the fans want to Show their appreciation, they can do it).

And finally I really don't care about there minor issues, it's not like they are applauding a serial killer, get a grip!

I am perfectly relaxed mate and I wish Welbeck all the best. However I am entitled to believe that applauding a homegrown talent who had dived and celebrated a goal against us is stupid.

Nevertheless I see nothing wrongin singing about Ronaldo. He was one of the best players United had ever had.

I think that he gave Smalling a hard time yesterday, he won a lot of duel against him to be honest, and if Smalling was so poor, Welbz has a lot in that

Smalling lost a lot of duels? Not true? Everytime Welbz got the ball Smalling closed him down so that Welbz couldnt even turn or hold the ball up, havent seen Welbz win much aerial battles even and didnt beat him on pace not. Welbz was very non existen apart from the goal, but thats most important.

I thought he was poor. His control was poor and he twice lost possession early on in good positions. Smalling was woeful yesterday I thought, so Welbeck should really have taken advantage. Welbeck certainly didn't show us what we are apparently missing: had it not been for Valencia, it would have been a typical work hard, no goals, Welbeck performance.

I'm not overly surprised by his celebration. He doesn't appear to have said any positive things about the club since he left. People on here act like he is such a likeable local lad but I never felt that affection towards him. He never struck me as particularly likeable and actually came across rather cocky. Just because he's a local lad, it doesn't make him this loveable scamp that some on here seem to think he is. He exemplified that last night with his dive.

I don't hate the guy, but I do feel nothing for him and haven't since he moved to the Gooners. Never really rated him while he was here either and nothing has changed

Rather argue some overplay over it. How often has it been mentioned that we could use Welbecks pace and athletism up front, dont think that's the case on bit. Still dont think Welb would have gotten it, maybe I need to rewatch the situation but it looks to me ddg was off his line really quick.
Let's say Welbeck gets to a loose ball thanks to his combination of pace, strength and technique. He proceeds to miss the goal and the Caf criticises him. His match rating might drop by a point. But the opposition are all of a sudden scared and on the back foot.

Now put Giroud in the same situation. He'd fail to get to the loose ball altogether. There'd be no miss, nobody would have anything to moan about and his match rating would remain unaffected.

Therein exists the blind spot. Football is attritional. A miss that exposes a defence is better than no miss at all. Obviously a shot on target would be the ideal outcome, but not enough credit is given on the Caf to passages of play which tip the balance towards one team or another. It's the reason why Valencia has been a regular under Fergie, Moyes and now LvG despite being the forum's favourite whipping boy.

None of which is to say that Welbeck is a world class player. But he is underrated by a lot of people for some very short-sighted reasons.

I really don't care that he celebrated. I find the whole idea of not celebrating against your former club a bit silly really. He scored the winning goal for his side in a massive game, why wouldn't he?

That said, he was poor overall and it took a rotten mistake from Valencia for him to score a goal. I think he'd be more useful to have right now than Falcao, for sure, but I don't think he's good enough going forward for a side like ours. Frankly I don't think Arsenal fans should see him as being good enough for them going forward either.

Let's say Welbeck gets to a loose ball thanks to his combination of pace, strength and technique. He proceeds to miss the goal and the Caf criticises him. His match rating might drop by a point. But the opposition are all of a sudden scared and on the back foot.

Now put Giroud in the same situation. He'd fail to get to the loose ball altogether. There'd be no miss, nobody would have anything to moan about and his match rating would remain unaffected.

Therein exists the blind spot. Football is attritional. A miss that exposes a defence is better than no miss at all. Obviously a shot on target would be the ideal outcome, but not enough credit is given on the Caf to passages of play which tip the balance towards one team or another. It's the reason why Valencia has been a regular under Fergie, Moyes and now LvG despite being the forum's favourite whipping boy.

None of which is to say that Welbeck is a world class player. But he is underrated by a lot of people for some very short-sighted reasons.
Underrated? Plenty thought he would be a 20 goal striker over there, he is a good player but a poor striker, Giroud is twice the striker Welbz is. I agree with what you say, but not every ball that one got, Welbeck would have. Honestly think Ddg was off his line fast enough. Maybd I should see the moment back.

Welbeck is far from underrated. If anything, he's ridiculously overrated by some, especially on here.

I really don't care that he celebrated. I find the whole idea of not celebrating against your former club a bit silly really. He scored the winning goal for his side in a massive game, why wouldn't he?

That said, he was poor overall and it took a rotten mistake from Valencia for him to score a goal. I think he'd be more useful to have right now than Falcao, for sure, but I don't think he's good enough going forward for a side like ours. Frankly I don't think Arsenal fans should see him as being good enough for them going forward either.

Yeah, I'm coming round to the idea he might not cut it at the very highest level. Even so, I'd rather have realised this with him playing for United instead of the utter shit served up by Falcao and RvP this season. For all his limitations we'd have been a better team this season with him in our squad.

I can understand LvG wanting to give Falcao a fair crack of the whip but I'm disappointed he didn't pick up on RvP's obvious decline.

I didn't say that everybody underrates him. Just that a lot do. Robbie Boy is a case in point.

My point was more about the Caf's blind spot to certain aspects of football.

he did very little overall but he took his chance when it came so fair play to him
i have absolutely no problem with him celebrating his goal and i find this increasingly common idea that it is showhow disrespectful ridiculous, theres some precious little girls following football these days
danny gave everything when he was here and his moving on was by all accounts a mutual decision so whilst i personally still feel we should have kept him its done now so everyone should move on

I didn't say that everybody underrates him. Just that a lot do. Robbie Boy is a case in point.

Yes, Robbie Boy and some others underrate him, but I think you and others overrate him though, works both ways really.
Yeah, I'm coming round to the idea he might not cut it at the very highest level. Even so, I'd rather have realised this with him playing for United instead of the utter shit served up by Falcao and RvP this season. For all his limitations we'd have been a better team this season with him in our squad.

I can understand LvG wanting to give Falcao a fair crack of the whip but I'm disappointed he didn't pick up on RvP's obvious decline.
Yeah, definitely.

I thought he was pretty rubbish yesterday apart from the goal, and some of his touches and control at points were laughable.

I also half expected him to miss it after taking it past De Gea.

Yes, Robbie Boy and some others underrate him, but I think you and others overrate him though, works both ways really.
I don't think he's a great player, though. Both Wenger and Fergie saw more in him than the average fan. I've only ever tried to justify why.

Not that I'm claiming to be an expert by any stretch; but I do watch the game beyond the raw numbers. That's the only position I've ever argued from.

I was glad he celebrated the goal the way he did. It was a normal reaction to scoring, unlike the ridiculous apologetic gesture other players do if they score against a former team, which is an affectation in most cases anyway.

It seemed to be the more 'hardcore' who were booing him from where I was sat. "Celebrate against us you cnut, we made you".

To be honest, I think it was more out of frustration that we were losing. Had we been 2-0 up and he pulled one back, or even an equaliser, for them and celebrated in the same way, don't think he'd have got much stick.

I don't think he's a great player, though. Both Wenger and Fergie saw more in him than the average fan. I've only ever tried to justify why.

Not that I'm claiming to be an expert by any stretch; but I do watch the game beyond the stats. That's the only position I've ever argued from.
I definitely think you overrate aspects of his game though. I'll never forgive you for comparing a run he made to Bale's Copa Del Ray final goal, Dante. Never.

Anyone who boo'd him off the pitch last night should give themselves a nice hard slap this morning.

I was glad he celebrated the goal the way he did. It was a normal reaction to scoring, unlike the ridiculous apologetic gesture other players do if they score against a former team, which is an affectation in most cases anyway.

To be honest, I quite like former players not celebrating. It's one of the remarkable things that adds to Denis Law's story with us. Having said that I don't begrudge a player for celebrating and in Welbeck's case it was largely muted as well. Anyone kicking up a fuss about it needs to sort their priorities out.

Therein exists the blind spot.
Football is attritional. A miss that exposes a defence is better than no miss at all. Obviously a shot on target would be the ideal outcome, but not enough credit is given on the Caf to passages of play which tip the balance towards one team or another. It's the reason why Valencia has been a regular under Fergie, Moyes and now LvG despite being the forum's favourite whipping boy.

You can't predict something like that with so much certainty. About a million things could have gone differently.

Well at least his first goal against us is out of the way, always pictured it as a late consolation goal in a 5-1 trashing but i guess it was always a matter of when not if, still hurts that it was a stupid mistake from Valencia though - who had a good game but you could also blame him for the 2 goals.

Lets just hope Welbeck scoring against us doesn't become a thing, i don't expect him to stay at Arsenal more for more than 3 years though

Thought he was pretty poor last night, he'd still be our 2nd best striker though, and we have missed him, especially when chasing games.

I underrate him? Please show me the posts where I have blatantly underrated him. I think you and several others blindly overrate him. I have maintained that we should have kept him over Falcao, all in hindsight of course. Saying he would be a decent squad player is underrating? If you think it is, then it is you that overrates him.

The reactions on here when he left were completely OTT and the selling our soul rubbish really grated on me.

Why should he? He gave his all whilst at the club and was pushed out the door. Danny owes nothing to MUFC club and fans.

I think Smalling was the sole architect of most of the problems he had. Danny was poor and looked well off the pace.

As for the celebration good for him. He's a professional football player who has just scored for his club in a big game back at the team which recently told him he was surplus to requirements. This whole not celebrating agaisnt your former clubs is a modern nonsense and feck knows where its started from - a weird and superficial affectation that's all. It's a fashion and hopefully, like all fashions, it will stop being the thing to do

Played better off the ball than on it, he has a lot of things going for him but you can tell he hasn't played CF often and I don't think he has a great understanding of the role. Sometimes his runs are quite poor but I think with more games and coaching that will improve. Very versatile and someone you can put on in a big match and you can trust him to follow instructions.

Good goal yesterday, he was pressing the defence and keeper often and it paid off in the end.

Maybe he is a regular on these forums? ;)

Maybe its just me but it Rooney was in Welbeck's place, playing for Chelsea, Arsenal, City whatever and he celebrated his goal wildly he would get a ton of abouse.
But our danny boy, people applaud him, people are happy for him (happy that he scored a winning goal which has sent us out of FA Cup) and dont see anything wrong with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.