Daniel James | Officially Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a big part of what football is though, optimism. For 99% of teams around the world, they aren't guaranteed or even favourites to win anything. You have to treat it optimistically or you're just going to be really frustrated.

I can leave a match really disgruntled but, for the most part it's forgotten by the time of the next kick off and it's back to hoping for a win and a good performance. It will be like that for a vast majority of clubs and fans.

If fans weren't optimistic, clubs like Barnsley wouldn't have any fans. You hope the next match or season is better and brings more success than the last, even if you haven't achieved much for years.

Liverpool fans have been laughed at for 'next year is our year' but the alternative is to be miserable and at that point, why bother?

I think we're at a fairly exciting time. We've a lot to do and build but it's part of what makes it exciting. If I knew we were going to win the league next year with an all star 11, what's the point?

Maybe I'm naive, I've been fortunate to grow up during a time of ridiculous success for a club I've chosen to support. Whilst that's brilliant, the smooth comes with the rough and I'm personally looking forward to how we go about rebuilding and when we get back to the top, it will feel all the more fantastic.

You're not wrong if you're pessimistic, I'm not saying that but on the flip side, optimism isn't a terrible thing.
Very well said sir.

He'll be an excellent option to bring on late in the game.

This. It's been mentioned before by other posters that James coming on for the last 10 minutes to run at defenders would scare the life out of most PL fullbacks. Kyle Walker is the fastest fullback in the league but James would make others look silly going past them. It's a no brainer really

This. It's been mentioned before by other posters that James coming on for the last 10 minutes to run at defenders would scare the life out of most PL fullbacks. Kyle Walker is the fastest fullback in the league but James would make others look silly going past them. It's a no brainer really

Who are we bringing off for him because if that is still Mata or Lingard then we are most likely to be losing the game. Bringing him on for a tired Pepe or Sancho etc that means we are progressing as a side, not standing still with our usual shite 11.

Who are we bringing off for him because if that is still Mata or Lingard then we are most likely to be losing the game. Bringing him on for a tired Pepe or Sancho etc that means we are progressing as a side, not standing still with our usual shite 11.

I agree with your point but Pepe and Sancho are different to Mata and Lingard. The latter play centrally for us in a diamond (Oles preferred formation). We need wingers to give us depth and to be able to play a proper 433 with wide attackers. Currently Martial is the only one in the squad.

When your chasing a goal against any team.. which is normal in the PL, James coming on in place of a midfielder or a striker struggling for space for instance is a tactic that would work, given James' pace and ability getting in behind.

I'd love better starters than Mata and Lingard by the way. We all would.!

Haven't seen him play, just You Tube highlights. Looks like he's a left winger? Really RW has been a problem for years so I hope we also have plans for that.
Martial is a number 9 who we play on the LW. Sanchez was signed as a LW when Martial was actually doing OK there. Makes me wonder what our LW options will be next season....Sanchez to go (I hope) Martial and James to fight it out for starter? Not keen on Martial as our LW to be honest so I hope James is ready to start!!!!

Haven't seen him play, just You Tube highlights. Looks like he's a left winger? Really RW has been a problem for years so I hope we also have plans for that.
Martial is a number 9 who we play on the LW. Sanchez was signed as a LW when Martial was actually doing OK there. Makes me wonder what our LW options will be next season....Sanchez to go (I hope) Martial and James to fight it out for starter? Not keen on Martial as our LW to be honest so I hope James is ready to start!!!!

I think James and Sessegnon will cover both wings from next season

It seems he's comfortable on both wings.

I assume he just played LW because that was where Swansea needed him. I actually think he'd be more effective at RW because he can use his full speed and cross more accurately. I'd love him to keep as wide as possible and let the others do the fancy football on the left side, then switch it quickly and let him kill his fullback 1v1.

Cutting in from the left and shooting/crossing isn't a skill everybody is good at.

That's a big part of what football is though, optimism. For 99% of teams around the world, they aren't guaranteed or even favourites to win anything. You have to treat it optimistically or you're just going to be really frustrated.

I can leave a match really disgruntled but, for the most part it's forgotten by the time of the next kick off and it's back to hoping for a win and a good performance. It will be like that for a vast majority of clubs and fans.

If fans weren't optimistic, clubs like Barnsley wouldn't have any fans. You hope the next match or season is better and brings more success than the last, even if you haven't achieved much for years.

Liverpool fans have been laughed at for 'next year is our year' but the alternative is to be miserable and at that point, why bother?

I think we're at a fairly exciting time. We've a lot to do and build but it's part of what makes it exciting. If I knew we were going to win the league next year with an all star 11, what's the point?

Maybe I'm naive, I've been fortunate to grow up during a time of ridiculous success for a club I've chosen to support. Whilst that's brilliant, the smooth comes with the rough and I'm personally looking forward to how we go about rebuilding and when we get back to the top, it will feel all the more fantastic.

You're not wrong if you're pessimistic, I'm not saying that but on the flip side, optimism isn't a terrible thing.

Yep. I don't know how people find the energy for it. Im genuinely looking forward to what kind of team we're going to put out, who the new signings are and how they fit etc..

This player is a real deal. There is scope for improvement like better control and touch, but a steal given he is just 21 and cost 15m.

How can he be the real deal but lack control and touch?

He's incredibly fast, that seems to be enough for a lot of United fans to ignore it's about all he has in his game. you'd think he was 17, he'll be 22 not long after the season starts, he's not a kid.

If he went to Brighton or Newcastle and had an impact like Brooks or Maddison, people would complain and say "why can't we find those players and buy them ourselves?". Now we do (and for a fee that, let's face it, is a drop in the ocean for United) and people still complain.

Last edited:
If he went to Brighton or Newcastle and had an impact like Brooks or Maddison, people would complain and say "why can't we find those players and buy them ourselves?". No we do (and for a fee that, let's face it, is a drop in the ocean for United) and people still complain.

Nothing new.

We could sign Mbappe and people would still complain about it.

Just watched a clip on twitter of all his touches/action from the City game. There was one play where Walker got a pass through the Swansea defense in the area and James made up a few strides in a couple of seconds and blocked him off the ball. His pace is something else.

So he's either the real deal. Or can't control a football.
Love it.

He's incredibly fast, that seems to be enough for a lot of United fans to ignore it's about all he has in his game. you'd think he was 17, he'll be 22 not long after the season starts, he's not a kid.

Is it all he has? Have you watched a lot of him this year?

United fans: We've had enough of washed up superstars. We want young dynamic hungry players who will come in and give the club new life.

*United sign excited 21 years old winger*

United fans: he's only played in the championship! This is madness!

If he went to Brighton or Newcastle and had an impact like Brooks or Maddison, people would complain and say "why can't we find those players and buy them ourselves?". Now we do (and for a fee that, let's face it, is a drop in the ocean for United) and people still complain.

Agreed. This is the sort of transfer that we’ve moaned about not being in the mix for over the last few years. Yes it’s a “bit of a punt” but the kid has potential and pace to burn.

As fans we can’t moan about Woodward going for the like of Bale who’s star is fading, of players that are square pegs for round holes in terms of not being compatible with Oles desired playing style.

I’d sooner we took a punt where less established players, playing together, are cohesive and perform at a level collectively that surpasses themselves in individual merit.

It’s a welcome change in tactic and let’s face it, the others have failed miserably in recent years!

22 is the new 29, which was the new 31, it seems. Incredible that all but City of the top 6 was monitoring such a talentless pile of shit. How often have you watched him play again?

I can't believe this saga is being dragged for this long.
1. He's being bought from the Championship.
2. We've got no competition
3. He's being bought for 15m
and yet we can't seem to sort this deal already.... Come on... Ed.... this is probably what you learn in Transfers 101

His pace is unreal. That's enough for me to be happy signing him for around £15m.

Right wing is his immediately as far as I'm concerned. His workrate and pace is enough for him to have a chance preseason onwards. If he shows he has end product he for sure could surprise alot of people.

and yet we can't seem to sort this deal already.... Come on... Ed.... this is probably what you learn in Transfers 101
The transfer window opened 5 days ago.

a young raw talent.
a player you suits our counter attacking, he works hard.

could end up being a masterstroke. lets give him a chance. we have wasted time money and effort on "worldies".

It wouldn’t surprise me if the press links were what identified him to us in the first place. I can just imagine Ed sat in his office with his feet on his desk, flicking through Sky Sports on his phone. *SSN understands Manchester United are close to signing Daniel James*

So he looks him up on YouTube and decides to give Swansea a ring.

I'm sorry, but Obertan had more ability than James. I've watched a few Swansea games this season, my cousin is a big Swansea supporter, he is just a British Jefferson Montero!
Useless player to have if we dominate games at home to lesser opponents! He is too predictable.
If this is Solskjaer's idea of going forward, and trying to do what SAF did in his latter years, then we are going nowhere!
Fine, keep away from big name players who are just in it for the money, but have some kind of respect to modern day football where it is much more than work ethic and being British! Add to that, another left winger who cuts in all the time! For goodness sake

It’s not like fifa or football manager though. Sometimes the players have taken a holiday or their agent is tied up with another client.

Maybe he asked for a couple days for think about it.

It’s not always incompetence.

How would that be plan A? Do ye really not think before complaining?

Why not buy a big man too? Throw him up top for the last 10 minutes and hope he wins the knock downs

We got this.

Because the defenders will be tired and James is fast?

Man, what a season we’re in for if that’s plan A.
The poster said late in the game but that bold part, How does that make sense?

Think before complaining.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the press links were what identified him to us in the first place. I can just imagine Ed sat in his office with his feet on his desk, flicking through Sky Sports on his phone. *SSN understands Manchester United are close to signing Daniel James*

That sadly sounds believable.

:lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.