Daniel James | Officially Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe I'm oldschool. I never refer to it as that. This isn't a university, it's a football club

I don't use it myself and I also used to consider it sacrilegious until I was given an education on its historical usage by United fans by a supporter who grew up around Duncan Edwards. I had a lengthy chat with him about it once, I learned a lot. You might have heard of him, Tom Clare. He even showed me a pin made by the club with the 'offensive' wording on it, and several matchday programmes. If I find them i'll post them because the original link to it is broken. I might ask him to send them to me.

http://www.theunitedpages.com/the-man-u-myth-by-tom-clare-2/

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/why-saying-man-u-isnt-so-bad/

Reporting got more sloppy and lazy, and the terms “Man yoo” and “Man Utd” started to be heard more and more from these people, and so it was inevitable that opposing team’s fans picked up on this. It was same when the teleprinter became a popular way of showing results on the tv – United’s name would come up and be shown as Man yoo or Man Utd. But these terms never, ever had anything to do with Munich, nor were they meant to be derogatory in any way. Just like the proverbial rolling stone, they have gathered stories as the years have rolled along through people who have put a slant on it to suit their own ends.

In the end, on top of lazy, sloppy journalism, it was just what the football fan saw, read, or heard that brought these terms for Manchester United into more frequent use. It is interesting to note that Big Fat Ron, even when he was managing United, has always referred to the club as “Man yoo.” So the real explanation for both terms is just very plain and simple.

I don't use it myself and I also used to consider it sacrilegious until I was given an education on its historical usage by United fans by a supporter who grew up around Duncan Edwards. I had a lengthy chat with him about it once, I learned a lot. You might have heard of him, Tom Clare. He even showed me a pin made by the club with the 'offensive' wording on it, and several matchday programmes. If I find them i'll post them because the original link to it is broken. I might ask him to send them to me.

http://www.theunitedpages.com/the-man-u-myth-by-tom-clare-2/

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/why-saying-man-u-isnt-so-bad/

Reporting got more sloppy and lazy, and the terms “Man yoo” and “Man Utd” started to be heard more and more from these people, and so it was inevitable that opposing team’s fans picked up on this. It was same when the teleprinter became a popular way of showing results on the tv – United’s name would come up and be shown as Man yoo or Man Utd. But these terms never, ever had anything to do with Munich, nor were they meant to be derogatory in any way. Just like the proverbial rolling stone, they have gathered stories as the years have rolled along through people who have put a slant on it to suit their own ends.

In the end, on top of lazy, sloppy journalism, it was just what the football fan saw, read, or heard that brought these terms for Manchester United into more frequent use. It is interesting to note that Big Fat Ron, even when he was managing United, has always referred to the club as “Man yoo.” So the real explanation for both terms is just very plain and simple.

Thank you. That's why I love this site. I learn something new every day. It is interesting that we can't type Man and then follow that with a capital U on here. This website edits it to ManUtd. Not that I ever use that term anyways, but I tried to write it in a previous response for what "we aren't allowed to say" and it wouldn't even let me use that term to describe what we can't use...

I am indeed. Who is this?
I don't remember my soccernet username anymore, but used to post in the "Fergie accuses Rafa of arrogance and contempt" comments until ESPN ruined it. I remembered you randomly for some reason. Actually remember telling you and others to post on the caf when it went down. I was a lurker then too

Thank you. That's why I love this site. I learn something new every day. It is interesting that we can't type Man and then follow that with a capital U on here. This website edits it to ManUtd. Not that I ever use that term anyways, but I tried to write it in a previous response for what "we aren't allowed to say" and it wouldn't even let me use that term to describe what we can't use...

Yes, that's why I wrote it the way I did. I pretty ridiculous. Every supporter who thinks the wording is derogatory should read that article. Its important to know how these things started and whether we should give them any credence.

The fact that we have a poster who is on 59 posts in this thread without ever watching the poor lad says it all.
He's a decent prospect. I don't know if he'll sign or not but I given what we've seen from him thus far he's certainly worth looking at.
He offers something we don't have. He's fast, he's two footed, he's creative, and he has the potential to be top quality.
We simply don't have a player that ticks all those boxes.

I disagree, we have plenty of players that run around a lot and don’t score goals, he’ll fit right in.

I disagree, we have plenty of players that run around a lot and don’t score goals, he’ll fit right in.
I disagree. We have ageing players and a poor defence and DM.
Scoring goals would be quite easily sorted with a decent midfield

I disagree. We have ageing players and a poor defence and DM.
Scoring goals would be quite easily sorted with a decent midfield

A top midfield won’t suddenly turn Rashford into Rudd van Nistelrooy and Lingard will always be shit no matter what you do to the team.

From what I've always been told Man Utd is fine, it's "Man Utd" that isn't fine. Even our official website is manutd.com

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-fans-refrain-from-calling-Manchester-United-as-Man Utd

And considering this website won't even let me type the inappropriate way to say our name, I'm going to take that as correct. To give a hint, it has the word "you" but as one letter after "man"

That's because the 'U' is being picked up by the text speech filter. Mockney wrote a long post about this ages ago; it's an internet myth.

A top midfield won’t suddenly turn Rashford into Rudd van Nistelrooy and Lingard will always be shit no matter what you do to the team.
It'll create more chances - of course it would help.

No, but if miracle transformations is the standard your looking for, life is going to be full of disappointment.

Lingard has ability, he had a good world cup for England. Needs a kick up the arse and a proper consideration about his best position. Longer term I see him as a Number 10 rather than a winger

Rashford up top and Lingard as a 10. I finally know what its like to be a supporter of Everton or Watford and just be content with never being as good as the best teams in the league. Nothing more than bench options for me.

No, but if miracle transformations is the standard your looking for, life is going to be full of disappointment.

Lingard has ability, he had a good world cup for England. Needs a kick up the arse and a proper consideration about his best position. Longer term I see him as a Number 10 rather than a winger

All I can say is, I admire your optimism.

Can't we even finalise this transfer !!
It's been going on for about a month now!

Definately worth following that Reddit ITK guy. He called Kohler right, and a few transfers last season. He also said yesterday that an agreement will be announced with James at around 10pm.

He seems a genuine source of information.

All I can say is, I admire your optimism.

That's a big part of what football is though, optimism. For 99% of teams around the world, they aren't guaranteed or even favourites to win anything. You have to treat it optimistically or you're just going to be really frustrated.

I can leave a match really disgruntled but, for the most part it's forgotten by the time of the next kick off and it's back to hoping for a win and a good performance. It will be like that for a vast majority of clubs and fans.

If fans weren't optimistic, clubs like Barnsley wouldn't have any fans. You hope the next match or season is better and brings more success than the last, even if you haven't achieved much for years.

Liverpool fans have been laughed at for 'next year is our year' but the alternative is to be miserable and at that point, why bother?

I think we're at a fairly exciting time. We've a lot to do and build but it's part of what makes it exciting. If I knew we were going to win the league next year with an all star 11, what's the point?

Maybe I'm naive, I've been fortunate to grow up during a time of ridiculous success for a club I've chosen to support. Whilst that's brilliant, the smooth comes with the rough and I'm personally looking forward to how we go about rebuilding and when we get back to the top, it will feel all the more fantastic.

You're not wrong if you're pessimistic, I'm not saying that but on the flip side, optimism isn't a terrible thing.

Reactions: roonster09
Definately worth following that Reddit ITK guy. He called Kohler right, and a few transfers last season. He also said yesterday that an agreement will be announced with James at around 10pm.

What was his latest news I remember reading Koulibaly.

link?

What was his latest news I remember reading Koulibaly.

That we are planning to bid 100m but haven't done so yet. We are waiting until De Ligt is confirmed to Barcelona before launching a full pursuit on Koulibaly. According to him, who I trust a lot now :lol:

How do you find him on reddit

They Spoofex guy?

There's two, im not sure they are the same guy? there's the spoofex guy and that xisimon

They Spoofex guy?

There's two, im not sure they are the same guy? there's the spoofex guy and that xisimon

Spoofex yes.

How do you find him on reddit

So @Kearnkoff69 posted this in the twitter thread yesterday. The reddit guy originally says James being announced with an agreement by 10pm is from a less reliable source. He then put the announcement as part of a bigger update. I asked him if it was backed up by a better source and fortunately he replied saying the better source said James will be done so he put both together and assumed a Lukaku style personal terms agreement would be announced at 10pm.

Given his previous track record and noting that James was announced to the same degree as he expected, a mere 12 hours later, tells me he has valuable information.

Since you two expressed interest - so you do not have to track him down yourself.

Other updates included :

Fletcher not yet announced.

DDG will run down his contract and leave for a free in 2020 unless we get a good fee.

Pogba hasn't answered to a deadline from the club on his commitment but indication is that he stays.

That we are keeping tabs on Griezmann Bale and Pepe. We will only sign one of them. Griezmann is likely using our interest to secure Barcelona anyway.

Sanchez to Inter on loan (we pay 50% of wages) and then he signs permanent the following year.

And the Koulibaly stuff.

Yeah. Xisimon was the one who posted about Kohler deal. Spoofex is posting about transfers now.

Can’t wait to see Dani Hamez marauding down the wind.

Glad this is getting wrapped up. Not a sure fire success (and how many of those have we had in the last five years?) but I see lots of potential upside and unless he is a Sanchez level disaster, we can probably sell him to recoup much of the fee if he doesn't quite make it at this level.

Plenty to gain, extremely little to lose.

It says it all when we can't even wrap this up without a protracted saga playing out in the media.

Spoofex yes.

So @Kearnkoff69 posted this in the twitter thread yesterday. The reddit guy originally says James being announced with an agreement by 10pm is from a less reliable source. He then put the announcement as part of a bigger update. I asked him if it was backed up by a better source and fortunately he replied saying the better source said James will be done so he put both together and assumed a Lukaku style personal terms agreement would be announced at 10pm.

Given his previous track record and noting that James was announced to the same degree as he expected, a mere 12 hours later, tells me he has valuable information.

Other updates included :

Fletcher not yet announced.

DDG will run down his contract and leave for a free in 2020 unless we get a good fee.

Pogba hasn't answered to a deadline from the club on his commitment but indication is that he stays.

That we are keeping tabs on Griezmann Bale and Pepe. We will only sign one of them. Griezmann is likely using our interest to secure Barcelona anyway.

Sanchez to Inter on loan (we pay 50% of wages) and then he signs permanent the following year.

And the Koulibaly stuff.

BTW he has also said his source (both) have said James is not meant to be a starting 11 player

Couldn't get into the Shrewsbury team a year ago. Who knows what we're getting here. In any case, these types of signings are exciting, albeit more exciting when our first team isn't abysmal, but I look forward to seeing what he can do.

I like that Bielsa appeared to be fairly obsessed with him. I know its for a different level but its a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.