Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Utd 3:2 Arsenal
Surprised his thread hasn't been bumped, I thought he did a good job today with a lot of composure playing next to a creaking Carrick.

Last edited:
He did well today. Passing was a bit off today (but nothing in comparison to Carrick) but he defended well overall. Maybe TFM in for Carrick and Riley at LB next game.

Thought he had a good first half but not so great in the 2nd. A few of his clearances were what you'd expect from a young player on his debut rather than a cultured midfielder playing in defence.

How the hell did he win that header from that last ball Arsenal pumped in, he rose like a salmon.

His biggest strength in the CB position, his distribution, just deserted him today. But still a decent performance.

Had 500 more minutes more this season than the next player (Mata). Really been a mainstay in our team and him along with De Gea and Smalling have kept us alive in some way in most competitions.

I thought he did well defensively - especially well considering the circumstances in fact - but he was shocking on the ball. His long passes especially were really bad... kept on turning over possession.

I think he's quietly had one hell of a season playing in a position most of us didn't want him anywhere near - not perfect by any measure, but he's become important to us.

He's been a quality signing overall. Really smart footballer.

And yeah, that header at the death was superb!

I think he's quietly had one hell of a season playing in a position most of us didn't want him anywhere near - not perfect by any measure, but he's become important to us.
Still remember the massive outrage in the summer when he was playing in CB. Got to say, he's done very well there.

Even if in the long term he goes on to be a squad player, he's been a very good signing. In today's transfer market he was an absolute steal and his versatility is extremely handy to have.

Had a work colleague go the game on Thursday and the one thing he said that stood out was the amount of distance Blind covered up and down the pitch.

Say what you want about his qualities and inconsistencies but you gotta love his attitude. Sometimes doing the 'mindless' running is as important as your contribution on the ball as Depay showed today.

Both had good performances imo.

Both himself and Carrick played a smart and very solid match. Nullified the pace of Walcott and the physicality of Giroud, both of which I was a bit concerned about, with consummate ease. As some in here have said, an unsung hero of this forgettable season.

Even if we buy a CB to partner Smalling long term, hes a great squad player to have. Somebody like OShea but better imo. Can play CB, CM, LB for us.

Ia gree with above, hes been sorta an unsung hero.

So intelligent and reads the game well.

Along with De Gea, Smalling and Martial as one of the bright spots of the season.

An intelligent footballer who just gets on with him, he's not everyone's cup of tea, but he's been very good for us this season.

If he was a couple of inches taller and was a bit quicker he would be world class. Reads the game as good as anybody.

I think he's in with a shout for player of the year even though David will probably win again.

Typically, he's been pretty much faultless and one of our best players since I spent ages slagging him off. Even against Sunderland I thought he was one of very few who were decent.

Wish he'd stop panicking and punting the ball to no one when we're holding on late in games though. He's not the only culprit, but it makes no sense as other times he'll insist on faffing around with the ball when he's being pressured, so it's not like he lacks composure. He just seems to lose his nerve a bit. And again that makes no sense when you remember the times last season that he'd crop up in the last minute of games to cooly slot in an equaliser looking like the calmest man on the planet.

I think he's in with a shout for player of the year even though David will probably win again.

I personally think Smalling will win it this season, having said the Blind and De Gea have to be in the running.

Everyone keeps saying we need a centre back to replace him yet I don't see him having a bad game. I personally think if we had Shaw and a new right back he'd be fine for us, Mascherano isn't the quickest and he's not as good a footballer as Blind, at times it's like having a playmaker in the back line.

I rate him very highly, just a lack of pace that takes from his game.

I personally think Smalling will win it this season, having said the Blind and De Gea have to be in the running.

Everyone keeps saying we need a centre back to replace him yet I don't see him having a bad game. I personally think if we had Shaw and a new right back he'd be fine for us, Mascherano isn't the quickest and he's not as good a footballer as Blind, at times it's like having a playmaker in the back line.

You're right, Bolt is. Mascherano's very quick though.

Smalling has been poor since christmas.

Have to say, didn't think he would be this good at CB, but he has been very good. Always one of our best players, rarely makes mistakes or looks out of place.

Man Utd 1:0 Watford
Shocking performance from him so far. Continually giving the ball away. Supposed to be the elder statesman back there, calming influence. Needs to shape up.

Really shouldn't press so high if he cannot handle the physicality of Deeney/Ighalo. Couple of times they've gone in behind with Fosu-Mensah playing catch-up.

One of the worst 45 mins of football I've ever witnessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.