5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what Rojo's done to earn his generally poor reputation on here. He generally looks very solid to me, and there've been one or two really exceptional games that show what he could do as part of a settled partnership.

Regardless, Blind has been good for too much of the time to be considered a problem. I don't see his position as being in any sort of peril, and for me Rojo and Jones between them constitute good back-up, especially with some promising youngsters coming through in that position.

I just mean they're injured all the time. Incidentally I don't rate either of them much anyway though!

Massively incorrect

And a great defender reads the play and does his defending at the right moments. He doesn't just randomly go to where he think the balls going to be before a player makes a pass....

I know it's been a while, but I would question what on earth Smalling was doing at right back.

In fact Smalling, Schneiderlin and Darmian all deserve a lot of the blame for leaving Blind in a 1v2. Blind made a decision, albeit the wrong one, to stop the danger before it started. But the aforementioned three are positioned so poorly. Like I've said all season, our defense is vastly over rated. Just before the ball is played into Costa, all three make the same movement towards the wing... what the feck is going on there? We really do lack the brains.

I know it's been a while, but I would question what on earth Smalling was doing at right back.

In fact Smalling, Schneiderlin and Darmian all deserve a lot of the blame for leaving Blind in a 1v2. Blind made a decision, albeit the wrong one, to stop the danger before it started. But the aforementioned three are positioned so poorly. Like I've said all season, our defense is vastly over rated. Just before the ball is played into Costa, all three make the same movement towards the wing... what the feck is going on there? We really do lack the brains.

It's more a lack of tactical drills than brain.

It's more a lack of tactical drills than brain.

You could argue our organisation in defense hasn't been so bad, this season, however, we're prone to stupid mistakes almost every game. I honestly don't think we've a smart bunch in defense.

I blame Schneiderlin mainly, he was marking no one and wasn't cutting off any passing angles either. If he is blocking the pass into Terry problem solved. He came on and was atrocious.

You could argue our organisation in defense hasn't been so bad, this season, however, we're prone to stupid mistakes almost every game. I honestly don't think we've a smart bunch in defense.

Our organization is terrible, if we weren't winning 1v1 all the time we would have big troubles. You talk about stupid mistakes but there aren't a lot of them but everytime we make them, which is perfectly natural, the collective is unable to compensate.
Just look at the video you commented, there is 5 or 6 players making absolutely no sense, some seem to be in man marking, others in zonal marking, an other group don't understand that pressing involves intensity and a couple are spectators. And all that is fairly common with us.

Our organization is terrible, if we weren't winning 1v1 all the time we would have big troubles. You talk about stupid mistakes but there aren't a lot of them but everytime we make them, which is perfectly natural, the collective is unable to compensate.
Just look at the video you commented, there is 5 or 6 players making absolutely no sense, some seem to be in man marking, others in zonal marking, an other group don't understand that pressing involves intensity and a couple are spectators. And all that is fairly common with us.

Fair enough. I don't want to take too much away from van Gaal, in this case, as the improved defense is one of the very, very few positives of his reign, so far.

You're right, that goal was just an absolute mess. Blind gets the majority of the blame for the goal because he made the most evident mistake, he was left in a 2 on 1 situation and made the wrong choice, if we were defensively organised that mistake wouldn't have materialised.

Fair enough. I don't want to take too much away from van Gaal, in this case, as the improved defense is one of the very, very few positives of his reign, so far.

Our players are better individually and that's because of his coaching but collectively he hasn't managed to make us truly organized, I claim that it's a lack of tactical drills but it could be something else.

Bar the one moment where N'Doye could have driven a Range Rover though our defense I thought he had a good game, mopping up several situations.

Yeah he's good at reading the game and good on the ball, but we are severely disadvantaged at set pieces because of his lack of height and physicality. Still don't believe he's a long term CB for us.

Got a really good block in which stopped a goal.

Its a shame we cant seem to have him and Smalling both having good games. Think somebody said it before, but it seems like him and Smalling dont communicate and just play their own game which is not in cohesion with what the other does.

Hes been good, better than Smalling lately, one of the few players I dont feel a deep inner hatred towards right now.

He's been surprisingly decent in defence. But I don't think any other manager would play him there, and Mourinho's first job will be deciding whether Jones will ever be able to play more than 3 games in a row, and if most likely he decides no, get a proper tall strong centre back in.

How many times have Blinds lack of height exposed us this year? Smalling do have the height, but still managed to feck up yesterday.

Blind deserves a lot of credit for a job well done in a position he wasn't born to play. So many problems get solved by bringing in a proper CB this summer, one of them being the ability to play Blind at left mid in a 433 or even one of the two holding mids in a 4231.

Midtjylland 2:1 Man Utd
I thought he was pretty ineffectual tonight, didn't really link up with Martial at all and only managed one good delivery in open play.

Our best CB who's actually a midfielder had to play at left back today, and our central defence just collapsed.

Only one of the back 4 who wasn't total wank today.

Horrible at left back, too slow and too minded to pass backwards/sideways, but a lovely cross on him all the same (when he eventually gets forward)

Who's better? Smalling has reverted back to bambi on ice lately.
you're overreacting, he's been alright, but not world class that's for sure, couple of bad games and people like you call him bambi, that's enough for me... Blind showed many times how incompetent he is as CB and noone makes fuss, wheres when its smalling who makes mistake everybody' all over him..there is a difference of class between the two.. showdd today he cant mark palyer either..

Concerning if he's our best CB, as much as I like him.

He fecked up for Midtjylland's first shot on target (the header from a corner kick). Other than that, I didn't notice him.

There was a time he would have been one of the less good players in our squad.

Usually does well, but always the speed question isn't it?

Man Utd 5:1 Midtjylland
Just rubbish defending for the goal there. I'm not even sure what beat him. I don't think the guy even feinted.

...Carrick (who dived in) is the one he fooled.
I mean before that. Carrick fell over, from what I could see, and he had to try and close down Blind's man after Blind just inexplicably went the wrong way.

I mean before that. Carrick fell over, from what I could see, and he had to try and close down Blind's man after Blind just inexplicably went the wrong way.

:lol: Any excuse to blame Blind.

Carrick didn't fall, he dived in.

:lol: fell over, even with Blind turned that chance shouldn't have arrived, Carrick feebly jumped in about 3 minutes too late.

I still have no idea what Blind was doing. I mean Carrick got fooled and was a bit shite to say the least but Blind seemed to randomly walk away for no apparent reason. Wtf. Shit defending.

They were both shit for the goal. Not sure why anyone would say otherwise.
Yeah, you're right. Just saw it again - thought Carrick fell but he dived in miserably. I'd still blame Blind more for going random walkabouts instead of sticking with his man.

His long ball passing is frustrating. Poorly defended their goal (along with Carrick).

Thought he was really bad overall. Should be thanking Lingard for managing to have a complete stinker.

One of the rare underperformers today.

Status
Not open for further replies.