Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most people will accept if both players were at the top of their game, Messi is the better player. Right now the majority of comments are focused on who is and has been in better form, which is obviously Ronaldo.

I think most people will accept if both players were at the top of their game, Messi is the better player. Right now the majority of comments are focused on who is and has been in better form, which is obviously Ronaldo.

Most people will accept that Messi looks better when the whole Barca 09-11 team are at the top of their game, for all the millions Real have spent, Real's side still still doesn't come close to the rest of the Barca side.

Honestly don't know how you can say such a thing. How does Cristiano have faster feet than Messi and how can he pass as well as Messi? I've literally never heard of anyone that thinks that until now. I'm baffled.

Ronaldo passes better than Messi :lol:

Most people will accept that Messi looks better when the whole Barca 09-11 team are at the top of their game, for all the millions Real have spent, Real's side still still doesn't come close to the rest of the Barca side.

In fact Messi has been even more impressive in the post-CL-winning seasons with Barcelona.

And who would you say were that great in 08-11 Barca? Other than Messi of course.

No, Messi is quite clearly the better player. It's not even close.

But due to injuries his form has dipped a bit so Ronaldo is just about the better player right now.

How can anyone believe Ronaldo is as good a passer as Messi is beyond me. I stayed out out of the thread till now but that comment is just taking the piss.

How can anyone believe Ronaldo is as good a passer as Messi is beyond me. I stayed out out of the thread till now but that comment is just taking the piss.

Ronaldo has a passing accuracy of 81% and avrage passing lenght of 13 meters this season.

Messi has a passing accuracy of 85 % and avrage passing lenght of 13 meters this season.

Ronaldo plays for a more direct side and can be a bit more difficult passing for that kind of side, compared to Barcelona. The Barca style also would give most an impression that they have far superior passers in their team, but it's also a bit down to style. I think both of them are good passers, but there are many better passers around.

To act like the statment that Ronaldo is as good at passing as Messi is some injustice that you can't sit around and watch, is a bit much. Maybe Messi is better, but I feel it's not that much between them.

Ronaldo has a passing accuracy of 81% and avrage passing lenght of 13 meters this season.

Messi has a passing accuracy of 85 % and avrage passing lenght of 13 meters this season.

Ronaldo plays for a more direct side and can be a bit more difficult passing for that kind of side, compared to Barcelona. The Barca style also would give most an impression that they have far superior passers in their team, but it's also a bit down to style. I think both of them are good passers, but there are many better passers around.

To act like the statment that Ronaldo is as good at passing as Messi is some injustice that you can't sit around and watch, is a bit much. Maybe Messi is better, but I feel it's not that much between them.

:lol: :lol:

Wow, they're multiplying.

Messi is the best passer of a football in the world, Ronaldo is an extremely run of the mill passer.

There's daylight between them when it comes to passing. Messi's just on a different level, one of the best passers around while Ronaldo's passing for a player of his quality is average.

Forget about statistics mate. Messi can pick those decisive passes again and again. Ronaldo cannot ever hope to do the same with anywhere near the same consistency.

Anyone who thinks Ronaldo's passing is even remotely close to messi's is just laughably delusional.

That's a credibility destroying type of opinion to have really.

Anyone who thinks Ronaldo's passing is even remotely close to messi's is just laughably delusional.

That's a credibility destroying type of opinion to have really.

Yep, can't take anyone seriously who thinks something so ridiculous.

To be fair I wouldn't rate Messi as a great passer overall, far from it. For the high no. of assists argument, I'd say it's down to his advance position in a specific system which he benefits from. Messi is a great one-two passer though.

To be fair I wouldn't rate Messi as a great passer overall, far from it. For the high no. of assists argument, I'd say it's down to his advance position in a specific system which he benefits from. Messi is a great one-two passer though.

Mental. He's one of if not the best passer of the ball in world football. Do you ever even watch Messi play football?

Forget about statistics mate. Messi can pick those decisive passes again and again. Ronaldo cannot ever hope to do the same with anywhere near the same consistency.
To be fair they made similar no. Of assists for the past 2 years.

Have you seen Zidane, Scholes, Xavi and Riquelme played?

Messi is as good a passer as any of those players.

He combines the passing of Xavi with the dribbling of Zidane and the goals of Ronaldo. That's why he's the best since Maradona.

This great thread is good laugh to read opinions of those who desperately come up with more and more random reasons to prove Messi is better than Ronaldo. He isn't. It is funny how much effect hate can have on human minds.

To be fair they made similar no. Of assists for the past 2 years.

Not same amount of appearances though. Keep also in mind that the question is not so much over assists, but on out and out passing ability. Many of Ronaldo's assists are indeed from advanced positions, cutbacks etc. Messi can thread it through the eye of a needle again and again. Like many have said, it's not even open for discussion. If you want to highlight some aspects of the Ronaldo game that are superior to Messi, then you can refer to his pace, leap and range of shot. Definitely not passing.

Messi fanboys downplaying Ronaldo's football abilities? That's a first!

Lightyears between their passing, you're having a laugh right? Messi must be god and Ronaldo a Heskey clone.

This great thread is good laugh to read opinions of those who desperately come up with more and more random reasons to prove Messi is better than Ronaldo. He isn't. It is funny how much effect hate can have on human minds.

Yeah, passing is just one of those random things people do on a football field. Not particularly relevant or important at all. I don't know why players even the pass the ball anyway, frankly we should return to the 1900's model of football where passing was considered continental, cowardly and unmanly.

Zidane dribbled like Messi? Not sure about that to be honest...

There isn't a player in modern football who dribbles as well as Messi. I think you have to go as far back as Garrincha but that was such a different age it's impossible to compare.

Lightyears between their passing, you're having a laugh right?

That's about right. Messi's the best passer in world football, Ronaldo's not even in the top five in his own side (Isco, Alonso, Modric, Di Maria, Illaramendi)

There isn't a player in modern football who dribbles as well as Messi. I think you have to go as far back as Garrincha but that was such a different age it's impossible to compare.

I agree. No one compared to Messi in terms of dribbling over recent decades.

But this being a United forum, I am shocked you did not mention George Best, in respect to great dribblers of old.

Messi fanboys downplaying Ronaldo's football abilities? That's a first!

Lightyears between their passing, you're having a laugh right? Messi must be god and Ronaldo a Heskey clone.

Behave! They will tell you of some of Heskey's abilities (like his stare) which are better than Ronaldo.

I agree. No one compared to Messi in terms of dribbling over recent decades.

But this being a United forum, I am shocked you did not mention George Best, in respect to great dribblers of old.

Just such a different game back. Nothing like the athleticism of today and most teams considered defending an after thought, but two footed tackles were pretty standard and the pitches and balls were a lot worse. Can't really compare such totally different era's.

:lol:

Wait, you're being serious now, aren't you?

I knew you'd get mad at that, they're probably at a similar level. At best Ronaldo is Real's fifth best passer. Ronaldo's not even an impressive passer of the ball in youtube compilations. His pass against Bayern the other night was impressive mostly because it's just so rare to see him make a pass like that. Ronaldo is great at a lot of things but passing is definitely not one of them.

Xavi and Scholes were better passers than Messi ever has been.

Nah, Messi can and does do everything they did. He's probably better at playing the final ball than either of them ever were.
You are insane.

About 10 minutes ago you claimed Messi was an average passer and there's not much difference between him and Ronaldo in that respect. I think I'd drop it if I were you.

That's about right. Messi's the best passer in world football, Ronaldo's not even in the top five in his own side (Isco, Alonso, Modric, Di Maria, Illaramendi)

I think you are the only one making the argument that Messi is the best passer in world football tbf, and yet you mock everyone else whose opinion differs from yours. Messi is a very good passer, but if you take a closer look a that video, you will see that his passing benefits greatly from terrific movement within the team and him being the central player. Many of those passes are quite easy but facilitated by team movement, which makes them seem harder than they are. He also benefits from having great vision though. Ronaldo cuts in from the left; how could you expect him to have a similar role? He isn't in a position to make those passes, is he? They are quite different players. Ronaldo has quite a few penetrative passes, flicks, heel passes etc that open up defenses.

Xavi is superior to Messi's passing by some distance for me as he is more rounded. I agree that Messi is the better passer than Ronaldo, but you make it seem that Ronaldo is lightyears behind Messi in terms of passing. There isn't that much between them all things considered taking account of their different positions. What we also should consider is that Ronaldo, after his injury, seems a bit more reluctant to make those long runs and thus passes the ball more, which shows how good a passer and team player he can be. You and I have no idea what instructions the players get. Maybe Ronaldo is told to stay out of the link-up play in the middle of the pitch and concentrate on penetrating the defense at first opportunity, which he is the best in the world at doing. Comparing players for attributes that they don't require for their game is a bit off the mark.

About 10 minutes ago you claimed Messi was an average passer and there's not much difference between him and Ronaldo in that respect. I think I'd drop it if I were you.

You really going too far now.

Quote me where do I say he is average? And where do I say there's not much difference?
He is not the best passer around, that's what I am saying.

Nah, Messi can and does do everything they did. He's probably better at playing the final ball than either of them ever were.

Don't agree with the bolded part, but his final ball is indeed one of the best of recent times.

He's averaged nearly 1 successful through ball per game in over 200 league and CL games since 2009/10...

For reference,
(in the same time frame)

Messi: 0.9
---
Totti: 1.1
Fàbregas: 0.9 (1.1 at Arsenal / 0.6 at Barça)
Xavi: 0.7
Pirlo: 0.6
Iniesta: 0.6
Cazorla: 0.5
Silva: 0.5
Di María: 0.5
Ibra: 0.5
Suárez: 0.4
Mata: 0.3
Isco: 0.3
Rooney: 0.3
Cristiano: 0.3
Touré: 0.3

Totti though :drool:

I think you are the only one making the argument that Messi is the best passer in world football tbf, and yet you mock everyone else whose opinion differs from yours. Messi is a very good passer, but if you take a closer look a that video, you will see that his passing benefits greatly from terrific movement within the team and him being the central player. Many of those passes are quite easy but facilitated by team movement, which makes them seem harder than they are. He also benefits from having great vision though. Ronaldo cuts in from the left; how could you expect him to have a similar role? He isn't in a position to make those passes, is he? They are quite different players. Ronaldo has quite a few penetrative passes, flicks, heel passes etc that open up defenses.

Xavi is superior to Messi's passing by some distance for me as he is more rounded. I agree that Messi is the better passer than Ronaldo, but you make it seem that Ronaldo is lightyears behind Messi in terms of passing. There isn't that much between them all things considered taking account of their different positions. What we also should consider is that Ronaldo, after his injury, seems a bit more reluctant to make those long runs and thus passes the ball more, which shows how good a passer and team player he can be. You and I have no idea what instructions the players get. Maybe Ronaldo is told to stay out of the link-up play in the middle of the pitch and concentrate on penetrating the defense at first opportunity, which he is the best in the world at doing. Comparing players for attributes that they don't require for their game is a bit off the mark.

I have seen Ronaldo play in literally hundreds of games throughout his career. His passing is not brilliant by any stretch, irrespective of where or how he plays. You can praise Ronaldo for many other attributes of his game in which he is the world's best. Passing, is definitely not his forte. Even though he can come up with a few good ones from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.