Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fact I am highly praising Ronaldo there. The final comment, was a reply to another poster who felt similarly, and if I am not mistaken, he is a Real Madrid fan.

In any case, it is but a footnote. Ronaldo is (and I repeat) one of the greatest ever players, and many people tend to underrate him.

Finally something we can agree on. :)

Let's just never discuss Barcelona or Mourinho... ;)

I never thought they'd find a way to make both Bale and Ronaldo co-exist in the same team but when they are in full flow, it's just wow.

Even though both are great, I really thought that a team could only afford to have one player of their mould in the team (although Ronaldo is obviously superior). Not winning the league will be a huge regret, but I suppose having a 10th European Cup - regardless of when they were won will be an incredible achievement.

I don't like Real Madrid the club, but in Ronaldo, Bale, Modric and Di Maria (is it me or is he less of a dick now?) they have some outstanding talent and you can't help but enjoy watching it.

Great to see Ronaldo finish off a classic counter-attack in style. All I could think about was Arsenal away 2009.

Di Maria was superb playing in CM (excepting that pathetic dive/face clutch when Mandy bumped into him)

Right now I might agree, but hasn't been for years. Not for me at least. :p

He is on course for a second consecutive Ballon D'or though. Can't see anyone else winning it. He only needs to have an okay WC with Portugal in my opinion and he'd be odds on to win it. Unless of course some other bloke completely smashes it at the WC, though I don't see it personally. Brilliant footballer though, can't argue with that. I've always been a big admirer of him.

Balon D'or will be all about the world cup.

If Argentina win it the Messi has the Balon D'or sewn up no matter what happens at Barcelona. Neymar will win it too if Brazil win on home soil.

I don't like Real Madrid the club, but in Ronaldo, Bale, Modric and Di Maria (is it me or is he less of a dick now?) they have some outstanding talent and you can't help but enjoy watching it.

It's really, really hard to hate extremely good attacking players.

Balon D'or will be all about the world cup.

If Argentina win it the Messi has the Balon D'or sewn up no matter what happens at Barcelona. Neymar will win it too if Brazil win on home soil.

Neymar? No chance. World cup performances are important as we've seen in the past, but when there's a player who had a really remarkable season outside of the world cup, that changes things. For Neymar to win it, considering the rest of his season and Ronaldo's brutal numbers in the league and CL, he needs a godlike world cup, think Maradona 86. That's just not going to happen. Messi is always among the favourites so a good world cup would probably tip the balance in his favour.

Indeed but it was never untrue for Ronaldo.
Messi since 08/09 has played for better teams than Ronaldo. Ronaldo plays for very good teams, but messi plays with the best players in the world that have won world cups and European championships. If you were making a starting eleven and squad of Madrid and barca players of the last 5 years there would be a lot more barca players in it than Madrid players. Also the argentine national team has far more quality than Portugal. Over the years they have had higuain, aguero, di maria, tevez, masherano, diego milito, walter Samuel, maxi rodriguez etc. Portugal have a good team but their main strengths are in defence and hard work and organisation and Ronaldo is the only world class attacking player they have as nani is too inconsistent so it is harder for him to be freescoring for Portugal than it is for messi for argentina.

Messi since 08/09 has played for better teams than Ronaldo. Ronaldo plays for very good teams, but messi plays with the best players in the world that have won world cups and European championships. If you were making a starting eleven and squad of Madrid and barca players of the last 5 years there would be a lot more barca players in it than Madrid players. Also the argentine national team has far more quality than Portugal. Over the years they have had higuain, aguero, di maria, tevez, masherano, diego milito, walter Samuel, maxi rodriguez etc. Portugal have a good team but their main strengths are in defence and hard work and organisation and Ronaldo is the only world class attacking player they have as nani is too inconsistent so it is harder for him to be freescoring for Portugal than it is for messi for argentina.

Ronaldo's played with some awesome attacking talent but right now this is the first time his team has been better than Messi's and it's suddenly now people are talking about and comparing his assist's to Messi's. I don't think that's a coincidence. This Barca side is a joke who quite often these days look utterly devoid of any ideas while Madrid are playing some nice, attacking football. All I said was it'd be strange if he wasn't up there on assists with Messi given the circumstances.

Alonso, Ramos, Casillas, Arbeola also contributed to Spain's success over the years. Also he has played with the like Benzema, Higuain, Di Maria, Ozil, Kaka, Khedira Modric, Bale. And Argentina have a stronger attack but, they have probably the worst defense of all the elite national sides.

Neymar? No chance. World cup performances are important as we've seen in the past, but when there's a player who had a really remarkable season outside of the world cup, that changes things. For Neymar to win it, considering the rest of his season and Ronaldo's brutal numbers in the league and CL, he needs a godlike world cup, think Maradona 86. That's just not going to happen. Messi is always among the favourites so a good world cup would probably tip the balance in his favour.

Nah, if Neymar scored 5 or so goals and Brazil win it he'll get the Balon D'or.

Alonso, Ramos, Casillas, Arbeola also contributed to Spain's success over the years. Also he has played with the like Benzema, Higuain, Di Maria, Ozil, Kaka, Khedira Modric, Bale. And Argentina have a stronger attack but, they have probably the worst defense of all the elite national sides.

Are you saying that Ronaldo has played with teams of equal quality to Messi by using these examples?

That doesn't contradict anything I said

Are you saying that Ronaldo has played with teams of equal quality to Messi by using these examples?

Ronaldo played for a stronger national side. And while Barca have been better I don't think they are much more talented than recent Madrid sides if at all.

Ronaldo played for a stronger national side. And while Barca have been better I don't think they are much more talented than recent Madrid sides if at all.

They're not. They've been declining every season. Massive overhaul needed IMO. Not just of playing staff but also to philosophies. Tiki-taka is okay but a plan B is necessary too.

Argentina have pretty much always been ranked above Portugal in the World rankings, it's wrong to think Portugal have been stronger. And to Barca: are you serious? The side that won the sextuple isn't much more talented than these Madrid sides? :lol: They were one of the best sides in club history, in fact they were probably the best 3 or so years ago, of course that side was far more talented. It's called a team for a reason, not a bunch of individuals.

Argentina have pretty much always been ranked above Portugal in the World rankings, it's wrong to think Portugal have been stronger. And to Barca: are you serious? The side that won the sextuple isn't much more talented than these Madrid sides? :lol: They were one of the best sides in club history, in fact they were probably the best 3 or so years ago, of course that side was far more talented. It's called a team for a reason, not a bunch of individuals.
I cant believe I have to argue my team is worse than barcelonas, its the weirdest argument I have ever had standing up for Barcelona :lol:

I cant believe I have to argue my team is worse than barcelonas, its the weirdest argument I have ever had standing up for Barcelona :lol:

Don't get me wrong, Madrid have always been strong and up there at the top, but the Barca of 2010? They were an unstoppable machine that no one had an answer for. It's blatantly obvious how strong they were when Madrid fans themselves are debating their own team's strength to it! Unbelievable stuff Jeff.

Cannavaro 2006?

Don't get me wrong, Madrid have always been strong and up there at the top, but the Barca of 2010? They were an unstoppable machine that no one had an answer for. It's blatantly obvious how strong they were when Madrid fans themselves are debating their own team's strength to it! Unbelievable stuff Jeff.
From 08-11 they were as close to invincible as you will get. From 12 to 13 they were declining but where still up there with the best teams, just not as far ahead as they were before. They are declining but they still beat us twice so that shows they are still a top team. Its easy to be a genius in hindsight.

It was historic goal that broke the all time CL single season scoring record.

Some people will find anything to complain about Ronaldo, it's always polemic.

It's not complaining, it's just telling it like it is.

His character on the pitch does not make people warm to him. Whereas Messi is almost the opposite.

You get the feeling that he's happier with personal accolades than team success. Can you imagine if both Ronaldo and Messi played on the same team? Even if they won the European Cup three times in a row with Messi as the star man, Ronaldo still wouldn't be happy.

It's not complaining, it's just telling it like it is.

His character on the pitch does not make people warm to him. Whereas Messi is almost the opposite.

You get the feeling that he's happier with personal accolades than team success. Can you imagine if both Ronaldo and Messi played on the same team? Even if they won the European Cup three times in a row with Messi as the star man, Ronaldo still wouldn't be happy.
Character on the pitch? Messi looks like he isn't bothered with football at the moment. You'll never see that from Ronaldo. I'll take Ronaldo's mentality every day of the week. Any player other than Messi wouldn't get away with that crap.

Di Maria was superb playing in CM (excepting that pathetic dive/face clutch when Mandy bumped into him)
No love for Modric Pete? Man of the match yesterday for me. Ramos and Pepe were excellent as well. They're good at football if their head is in the right place.

Character on the pitch? Messi looks like he isn't bothered with football at the moment. You'll never see that from Ronaldo. I'll take Ronaldo's mentality every day of the week. Any player other than Messi wouldn't get away with that crap.

Excellent point. Ronaldo is kind of selfish because he takes greater pleasure in his goals than his teammates, but his effort and work rate are beyond reproach. That it's a World Cup year is apparently an excuse for Messi to listlessly stand around during CL quarterfinals and cup finals without looking bothered to move off the ball or make any impact on it.

Atletico Madrid being in the final has made it pretty easy for me to decide who to root for. As much as I like Ronaldo and I wouldn't mind him winning many individual accolades and domestic trophies in Spain, I definitely do not want him to win a Champions League title with Real Madrid. As bitter as it may sound, but he left us when we had reached 2 consecutive CL finals (including one win) to join Madrid. We've reached another final in that time but a win here would justify his decision in terms of moving to win CL title(s) with Madrid (even if it took 5 years).

Ronaldo or not, I have no idea why any neutral would root for Real. Athletico epitomize a beautiful underdog story and deserve it all

Ronaldo or not, I have no idea why any neutral would root for Real. Athletico epitomize a beautiful underdog story and deserve it all
I think beautiful is exaggerating for many reasons, but I definitely agree that they should be the neutrals team. If it wasn't Madrid in the final I would be supporting atletico

Absolutely spot on, Ronaldo is a true pro. Whether he's on a good or bad day, you know he gives 100% in every match. Messi at times is a disgrace with the way he just doesn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.