Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may disagree but it happened and it was one of the main reasons for the relationship problems between Queiroz and Ronaldo. In somes games he did play as the only striker and in others we started with Almeida or Liedson but his tactical changes in the second halfs would put him in that unconfortable position. Cmon you just have to remember Ronaldo´s reaction (the famous "Culpa da eliminação? Perguntem ao Queiroz) and some interviews where he showed that was unconfortable with his tactical positioning.

I don't remember all the intricacies, but the truth is there, Queiroz didn't always used him as a striker. And you can't blame him for trying Ronaldo at striker occasionally when there isn't any other half-decent option, there are actually decent options on the wings, and Ronaldo when playing in the wing wasn't working out as well. Ronaldo needs space, without it he's (relatively) limited. Queiroz is a shit manager at so many levels, but I take those Ronaldo's comments as a way to shove pressure of his own shoulders as well. And I don't blame him for it, in nowadays football a player can't single-handedly mask the weaknesses of a team no matter how good he is. Messi doesn't do it for Argentina either. You get the odd Forlanesque performance, but that's when it all works out well and it did that time. Far better players can't do that and even Forlán never repeated it. I hope Ronaldo does it for us, but I won't blame him if he fails to do it, nor I think he needs excuses for it if he can't.

Is it surprising? If Moutinho, Coentrão and Nani don´t step up we usually have no other choices. Our national team is very limited in what concerns attacking options. That´s why a player like Coentrão at left back is a crucial figure on our setup

No it's not surprising I just wanted to offer my view on why it is easier to stop Ronnie when he is playing for his national team compared to when he is playing for Madrid.

I must be one of the few people in this whole forum who has never wished him well and has enjoyed his rather barren trophy collection since he has moved there (in relation to goals scored). He moaned and moaned until he left here to go to his paradise, in that time until this season we have actually been better off compared to Madrid. He would have won a lot more with us had he stayed.

Without them, he hasn't been that influential and has failed to break games for us. The games against Sweden, due to the way the scoreline evolved, created a very similar set-up as Real's where he excelled, but those pinpoint assists from Moutinho and Almeida won't happen every game.

Don´t you think that´s a very simplistic view of the matter? Whats your opinion about the Holland or Czech Republic euro matches? Who usually steps up when things don´t go well? I don´t deny the merit of the Moutinho assists but the movement and quality finishing due to his world class ability is obviously a Ronaldo credit. As if you aren´t Portuguese and can´t remember all those games where we were clearly superior in footballing terms but clearly lacked in the finishing department

Don´t you think that´s a very simplistic view of the matter? Whats your opinion about the Holland or Czech Republic euro matches? Who usually steps up when things don´t go well? I don´t deny the merit of the Moutinho assists but the movement and quality finishing due to his world class ability is obviously a Ronaldo credit. As if you aren´t Portuguese and can´t remember all those games where we were clearly superior in footballing terms but clearly lacked in the finishing department
If we had a striker which we don't we may have a shout on this WC

I don't remember all the intricacies, but the truth is there, Queiroz didn't always used him as a striker. And you can't blame him for trying Ronaldo at striker occasionally when there isn't any other half-decent option, there are actually decent options on the wings, and Ronaldo when playing in the wing wasn't working out as well. Ronaldo needs space, without it he's (relatively) limited. Queiroz is a shit manager at so many levels, but I take those Ronaldo's comments as a way to shove pressure of his own shoulders as well. And I don't blame him for it, in nowadays football a player can't single-handedly mask the weaknesses of a team no matter how good he is. Messi doesn't do it for Argentina either. You get the odd Forlanesque performance, but that's when it all works out well and it did that time. Far better players can't do that and even Forlán never repeated it. I hope Ronaldo does it for us, but I won't blame him if he fails to do it, nor I think he needs excuses for it if he can't.

Of course i can blame Queiroz. It´s our best player and he is playing him out of position and limitating his role and influence on the team. It´s always better to play Postiga or Almeida as a striker rather than having our best player frustrated, being unable to have a real impact on the matches because the manager doesn´t takes advantage of his prime assets. It´s a mistake no other portuguese national team manager made. I think there is some revisionism and wrong assumptions from your behalf. What i can analyze from the history and for the record, is that Queiroz completely mismanaged the team and destroyed the team spirit. Now if Ronaldo´s comments were a way of deflecting the attention, it´s a matter of interpretation and not the clear truth. I think he was frustrated with Queiroz work and that seems obvious by reading his interviews regarding that matter and the opinion of the pundits

I'm talking about Ronaldo's form for the National team recently, I'm not denying he has done well in other games in the past, a few games in the present, and I'm sure he'll do well in the future.

And I'm not taking any credit from Ronaldo, I was just pointing out that those assists won't happen every game as the 3 of them were brilliant and rare as well. Ronaldo's brilliancy in finishing them off is expected (and perfect in those 3 goals) and he would score a lot more goals if he got more of those changes, but our NT can't provide them, and Ronaldo can't create much himself against solid set-ups, which wasn't the case of a Sweden needing to score. If anything, I'm taking credit from Moutinho (who's not exactly playmaker) and Almeida.

Or other competitions from the past. Like Gullit said in 96, we would have won a major competition if the pitch had no goals posts.

I must be one of the few people in this whole forum who has never wished him well and has enjoyed his rather barren trophy collection since he has moved there (in relation to goals scored). He moaned and moaned until he left here to go to his paradise, in that time until this season we have actually been better off compared to Madrid. He would have won a lot more with us had he stayed.

Me as well.

I'm talking about Ronaldo's form for the National team recently, I'm not denying he has done well in other games in the past, a few games in the present, and I'm sure he'll do well in the future.

And I'm not taking any credit from Ronaldo, I was just pointing out that those assists won't happen every game as the 3 of them were brilliant and rare as well. Ronaldo's brilliancy in finishing them off is expected (and perfect in those 3 goals) and he would score a lot more goals if he got more of those changes, but our NT can't provide them, and Ronaldo can't create much himself against solid set-ups, which wasn't the case of a Sweden needing to score. If anything, I'm taking credit from Moutinho (who's not exactly playmaker) and Almeida.

I misunderstood your point and i agree with your assessment.

There's a good chance we'd be on 22/23 titles if he'd stayed. The season after he left we missed out on the title by a point and there's not a hope that we'd have lost the title to City two seasons ago with Ronnie banging them in. Having him in your team is like cheating, I'm just glad that we've had a player like that for as long as we did.

4 words: Tiago Manuel Dias Correia

Jokes aside, he's probably your best forward right now? He has a pretty decent goalscoring record this season :lol:

Think he's scored at least 50 goals for club and country for the last 4 seasons. It's astonishing.

51 goals in 50 European matches for Real too.

4 words: Tiago Manuel Dias Correia

Jokes aside, he's probably your best forward right now? He has a pretty decent goalscoring record this season :lol:

He has better numbers than Postiga thats for sure. I think Almeida will be our starter against Germany. Has the physical ability to bother the german defence and help in the set pieces.

Of course i can blame Queiroz. It´s our best player and he is playing him out of position and limitating his role and influence on the team. It´s always better to play Postiga or Almeida as a striker rather than having our best player frustrated, being unable to have a real impact on the matches because the manager doesn´t takes advantage of his prime assets. It´s a mistake no other portuguese national team manager made. I think there is some revisionism and wrong assumptions from your behalf. What i can analyze from the history and for the record, is that Queiroz completely mismanaged the team and destroyed the team spirit. Now if Ronaldo´s comments were a way of deflecting the attention, it´s a matter of interpretation and not the clear truth. I think he was frustrated with Queiroz work and that seems obvious by reading his interviews regarding that matter and the opinion of the pundits

And how many matches were those? We're not disagreeing that much. Queiroz completely mismanaged the team, and blew the team spirit indeed. He's a tool. I remind you that I only disagreed with you about the fact that Queiroz used him in the wrong position, specifically that it was the norm (which you previously implied as the reason for him not scoring much under Queiroz). Weren't Ronaldo's comments after the WC? In that WC Liedson started as a striker against Ivory Coast, Almeida against Korea, and Almeida against Spain.

In the game against Spain, after Almeida got knackered nearing the middle of the second half (after an excellent and hard-working game) he had to be subbed-off and Ronaldo was pushed forward for the remainder of the match as we took a very defensive stance. He wanted to play with just 1 upfront (big mistake) and chose that guy to be Ronaldo (the lesser mistake in my opinion, given that he wasn't creating that much from the wing either - no one else in that game was creating much, for either team).

My interpretation of the comments may be biased by me not being a big appreciator of his stance. He's a winner, but he pouts when things aren't going well, and in a smaller team like Portugal, that will happen often. It's like if he blames other players for not being as good as him. About Queiroz he was probably right though.

There's a good chance we'd be on 22/23 titles if he'd stayed. The season after he left we missed out on the title by a point and there's not a hope that we'd have lost the title to City two seasons ago with Ronnie banging them in. Having him in your team is like cheating, I'm just glad that we've had a player like that for as long as we did.

We probably would have still lost Atleast a title. 7 league titles in a row would have been insane. Its funny how the world works isnt it, we will never get know. What if Juup had stayed at Bayern this year? Could they have replicated last season?

As for your last line, we should be privileged to have made him into the legend he has become not to just to have had him. Sir Alex must look at him now and feel so proud of himself. Believe it or not, he gets bood by Madrid fans every now and again. Considering he fought to go there, the difference in fan opinions is amazing at times. No matter how much he sulked, he would never be boo'd here.

CR7's scoring record for Real is just insane: 250 goals in 243 games now; 51 in 50 in Europe."

We have literally been robbed. Not just for his footballing ability, but his marketing value.

He is easily worth £200m plus.

This is worse than Pogba 10x over. But people can't grasp this

We have been robbed, call the po po!

Ive said this since it happened. We were well and truly stitched up by Madrid when they got him for 80 million. We could have and should have asked for at least 120 million. I also think our opportunity to bring him back has come and gone

This guy used to play for us.

80 million was the bargain of the century, more of a bargain than the 7 we paid Lisbon for him. Unbelievable.

This guy used to play for us.

80 million was the bargain of the century, more of a bargain than the 7 we paid Lisbon for him. Unbelievable.

Not sure how much it was in pounds, but it was more than 7. Probably 14-15 or so.

And how many matches were those? We're not disagreeing that much. Queiroz completely mismanaged the team, and blew the team spirit indeed. He's a tool. I remind you that I only disagreed with you about the fact that Queiroz used him in the wrong position, specifically that it was the norm (which you previously implied as the reason for him not scoring much under Queiroz). Weren't Ronaldo's comments after the WC? In that WC Liedson started as a striker against Ivory Coast, Almeida against Korea, and Almeida against Spain.

In the game against Spain, after Almeida got knackered nearing the middle of the second half (after an excellent and hard-working game) he had to be subbed-off and Ronaldo was pushed forward for the remainder of the match as we took a very defensive stance. He wanted to play with just 1 upfront (big mistake) and chose that guy to be Ronaldo (the lesser mistake in my opinion, given that he wasn't creating that much from the wing either - no one else in that game was creating much, for either team).

My interpretation of the comments may be biased by me not being a big appreciator of his stance. He's a winner, but he pouts when things aren't going well, and in a smaller team like Portugal, that will happen often. It's like if he blames other players for not being as good as him.

But i don´t think i implied that it was the norm. Perhaps i didn´t express myself the right way and you interpretated my words the wrong way. The fact is (discounting all the tedious tactical talk) it was with Queiroz that Ronaldo had the worst numbers and performances in his national team history. It may be surprising for some (considering Queiroz worked some years with Ronaldo at United) but for me it´s just standart Queiroz tactical inability to manage a team and take advantage of the players caractheristics ( i can also talk about the Deco case, where Queiroz was also dreadful).

Now we come to the field of the personal opinions. My opinion is the opposite of yours. The main mistake was playing Ronaldo as the sole forward reference. In a team as limited as ours, not taking advantage of your best asset is criminally handicapping the team. Under no circunstancies you do that, specially in a game as important as a Portugal vs Spain at that stage. And as you can come to that conclusion by looking at the way the other national team coaches use Ronaldo. They build the team around Ronaldo. Even if he is having a subpar performance as a winger, you still have to give him the tactical freedom to come from behind and create something. And Ronaldo can´t do that when he is playing as forward. He has said so multiple times, even when he was managed by Mourinho. Some learn, others are stubborn like mules (Queiroz) and don´t evolve.

Last edited:
^^Ditto, minor disagreement and I give you credit as Sporting fans tend to be better versed in National Team matters.

We probably would have still lost Atleast a title. 7 league titles in a row would have been insane. Its funny how the world works isnt it, we will never get know. What if Juup had stayed at Bayern this year? Could they have replicated last season?

As for your last line, we should be privileged to have made him into the legend he has become not to just to have had him. Sir Alex must look at him now and feel so proud of himself. Believe it or not, he gets bood by Madrid fans every now and again. Considering he fought to go there, the difference in fan opinions is amazing at times. No matter how much he sulked, he would never be boo'd here.

Not surprising, they boo'd Zidane too. God help their fans if they ever go through a season like the one we just did, they take the term spoiled to a new level. I've never liked Madrid, really.

Whats that supposed to mean ;)?

In my opinion Sporting fans are the most patriotic, the ones who cheer more for the National Team, and hence I assume they will be the ones with better knowledge. This, of course, based in my personal experience.

He wasn't this good for us back then though and I must say I did not expect him to go there and score 250 goals in 5 years. I expected him to continue scoring at the rate he did for us, probably 30-35 a season averaged out.

He was world class of course for us and the best in Europe when sold but he's got significantly better since going there. He's a different animal altogether. He's beyond classification now.

In my opinion Sporting fans are the most patriotic, the ones who cheer more for the National Team, and hence I assume they will be the ones with better knowledge. This, of course, based in my personal experience.

I knew you were going that way, that´s why i posted that cheeky smilie. I respect your opinion (you know that by the pm´s we have exchanged) and have no reason to doubt you and your personal opinion but i must be one of those atypical Sporting fans. For me it´s always Sporting before Portugal, club before national team. Even so, that doesn´t prevent me from cheering our national team and having an opinion (most of time biased in relation to Sporting players or with Sporting background as long as they aren´t Simão or Moutinho :D)

Ive said this since it happened. We were well and truly stitched up by Madrid when they got him for 80 million. We could have and should have asked for at least 120 million. I also think our opportunity to bring him back has come and gone

If we did not sell him we would have eventually lost him for free.

@Sly let's stir some shit up in this thread. Don't you think United fans overstate their impact in "making Ronaldo who he is"? After all he grew up at Sporting and had his best career period at Madrid. United surely was an extremely important phase of his career, but I look at Ronaldo and he looks so driven that it looks like he'd become this good eventually no matter where he went. All those hours in the training grounds of his own volition, etc. The prototype self-made athlete.

On the other hand, British football does favour physicality, which turned out to be a Godsend for him. Would he overlook that side of his game if he went elsewhere, and hence never become so good? What's your opinion?

He wasn't this good for us back then though and I must say I did not expect him to go there and score 250 goals in 5 years. I expected him to continue scoring at the rate he did for us, probably 30-35 a season averaged out.

He was world class of course for us and the best in Europe when sold but he's got significantly better since going there. He's a different animal altogether. He's beyond classification now.
There is no question that his peak has been at Real

@Sly let's stir some shit up in this thread. Don't you think United fans overstate their impact in "making Ronaldo" who he is? After all he grew up at Sporting and had his best career period at Madrid. United surely was an extremely important phase of his career, but I look at Ronaldo and he looks so driven that it looks like he'd become this good eventually no matter where he went. All those hours in the training grounds of his own volition, etc.

On the other hand, British football does favour physicality, which turned out to be a Godsend for him. Would he overlook that side of his game if he went elsewhere, and hence never become so good? What's your opinion?
Ronaldo would have been a completely different kind of player if he had gone to La Liga instead of Prem.

You can't predict if he would have been as good or not but Ronaldo did admit that fatherly attitude of Fergie helped him during his young years. There is no better man manager than Fergie for young or old.

Not just the physicality but the directness in Ronaldo's game is also a result of developing at United.

@Sly let's stir some shit up in this thread. Don't you think United fans overstate their impact in "making Ronaldo who he is"? After all he grew up at Sporting and had his best career period at Madrid. United surely was an extremely important phase of his career, but I look at Ronaldo and he looks so driven that it looks like he'd become this good eventually no matter where he went. All those hours in the training grounds of his own volition, etc. The prototype self-made athlete.

Well considering Ronaldo himself attributes a lot of his development to Manchester United I would say no, we don't overstate our club's impact on the best player in the World.

Exactly. Ferguson was his second father. Cannot overstate the importance on his development he had and how he helped him through the death of his father at a young age, everything else is conjecture. He might have been another Quaresma without Fergie, we will never know.

I´d have a somewhat neutral opinion. I give Sporting the merit of getting him from Madeira and helping through those very difficult years where he wanted to give up and return home. The years where he was ridiculed by the other players because of his accent and where Sporting´s professional structure of having a psychologist and someone like Aurélio Pereira obviously helped the kid settle. I also have to give credit for our academy work in what concerns teaching and improving the fundamentals. Our track record, the conditions and the professionals with credentials that have work for decades in our academy and our reputation prove that and deserve recognition.

From United i obviously have to give credit to Ferguson and the respective football structure. The way he mentor Ronaldo and took him under his influence, obviously helped him become the player that he is today. His gratitude towards Ferguson proves that. Moving for him when other clubs where undecided, putting him on the team when he was so young, being behind him after all the controversies (England debacle, diving antics etc) shows that without Ferguson´s role, his evolution wouldn´t have been as quick and succesfull as it was. Playing for a great manager in a very demanding and difficult enviroment, in the biggest competitions, made him grow and evolve into the player that he is today.

Having said that Ronaldo really is the ultimate professional of the game. You just have to watch the Ronaldo program from his Sporting academy years to witness the level of dedication and drive that Ronaldo has always displayed. The way that he used to talk to his youth rank collegues and say that someday he would be the best in the world. He always had that objective. And although he isn´t the most technically gifted player in the World, it´s obvious that for me that he is the most hard working and dedicated for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.