Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say he is a completely different player, he is just a better player.

Anyone who currently argues Messi is the better of the two is completely and utterly wrong, Ronaldo is currently the World's best.

By different I don't mean any drastic change in his style. He has just improved so much as a player from when he left us up till now. Only the 07/08 season is in any way comparable to him in Real right now. The stats(which I hate bringing into any conversation) say it all. He is a machine now, and if this Ronaldo played for us in our 06/09 team which already won 3 PL's and made 2 CL finals, it would be a thought to jizz over

He'll be in Gary Cahlll's back pocket soon enough.

:nervous:

No danger.

KennyMillerEngland3_512x288.jpg

850635995.gif

only blemish of the night. cringeworthy celebration.
Funny thing is, I was proud when I found out I could lip read what he was saying, even if he was just saying "ten, ten, ten..."

Edit:
Shit, he was not saying ten...I will go and hide under my armpit.

Last edited:
Yeah yeah he scored twice, yeah yeah he has 16 CL goals, yeah yeah he a ridiculous goals-to-game ratio. Can he jump higher than LeBron yet?

I love Ronaldo.

I think I might support Portugal this world cup

I love Ronaldo.

Oranje all the way, assuming van Gaal is our new boss. But yeah, I hope Ronnie has a great world cup and gets another English player sent off in the process.

Because Queiroz was stupid and used him as a striker, limitating his potencial. He was supposed to know Ronaldo, after so many years at United. That tactical mistake was the begining of the end of their relationship. Scolari and Bento know how to use him.

I disagree with most of that (not with Queiroz being stupid, but for other reasons). I don't remember the qualifiers, but in World Cup 2010 Almeida/Liedson were used as strikers in all but one game under Queiroz. And Ronaldo was very underwhelming in this year's WC qualifiers up until the games against Sweden, despite playing in his position. He just hasn't been as consistent for Portugal as he has been for Real. Or rather, he needs that setup and high-quality partners to be as prolific, which is logical and expected. Without them, he hasn't been that influential and has failed to break games for us. The games against Sweden, due to the way the scoreline evolved, created a very similar set-up as Real's where he excelled, but those pinpoint assists from Moutinho and Almeida won't happen every game.

Last edited:
I love Ronaldo.

You should. It´s not only Ronaldo. You get to support Postiga, Ruben Micael and Hugo Almeida. Who can resist that? :drool:

Oranje all the way, assuming van Gaal is our new boss. But yeah, I hope Ronnie has a great world cup and gets another English player sent off in the process.

As long as all the United players do well it's all good (and Ronaldo lifts the trophy! :D )

I disagree with most of that (not with Queiroz being stupid, but for other reasons). I don't remember the qualifiers, but in World Cup 2010 Almeida/Liedson were used as strikers in all but one game, and Ronaldo was very underwhelming in this year's WC qualifiers up until the games against Sweden, despite playing in his position. He just hasn't been as consistent for Portugal as he has been for Real.

You may disagree but it happened and it was one of the main reasons for the relationship problems between Queiroz and Ronaldo. In somes games he did play as the only striker and in others we started with Almeida or Liedson but his tactical changes in the second halfs would put him in that unconfortable position. Cmon you just have to remember Ronaldo´s reaction (the famous "Culpa da eliminação? Perguntem ao Queiroz) and some interviews where he showed that was unconfortable with his tactical positioning.

I disagree with most of that (not with Queiroz being stupid, but for other reasons). I don't remember the qualifiers, but in World Cup 2010 Almeida/Liedson were used as strikers in all but one game under Queiroz. And Ronaldo was very underwhelming in this year's WC qualifiers up until the games against Sweden, despite playing in his position. He just hasn't been as consistent for Portugal as he has been for Real. Or rather, he needs that setup and high-quality partners to be as prolific, which is logical and expected. Without them, he hasn't been that influential and has failed to break games for us. The games against Sweden, due to the way the scoreline evolved, created a very similar set-up as Real's.

I think a lot with Ronnie under-performing for Portugal seems to be more down to the game being focused too much on him and all the attacking hopes seem to rest on his shoulders. If you manage to control him Portugal often look toothless. Against Real you can't really focus so much on him because they have other very dangerous players like Bale, Benzema and Di Maria.

I hope we don't see Mourinho in Lisbon to be honest. Give me the derby.
Hopefully Ronaldo scores again. Its the only way we will ever be free from the influence of mourinho and his "dark arts" once and for all :lol:
I really want Mourinho in the final, I honestly do. I wanted them in the semis but we got Bayern.

I just know Casillas, Ronaldo and a few others will play better and with more passion against Mourinho than against Simeone and his men. They have a point to prove.

Because Queiroz was stupid and used him as a striker, limitating his potencial. He was supposed to know Ronaldo, after so many years at United. That tactical mistake was the begining of the end of their relationship. Scolari and Bento know how to use him.
My only problem with Bento is when he uses Almeida

I think a lot with Ronnie under-performing for Portugal seems to be more down to the game being focused too much on him and all the attacking hopes seem to rest on his shoulders. If you manage to control him Portugal often look toothless. Against Real you can't really focus so much on him because they have other very dangerous players like Bale, Benzema and Di Maria.

Is it surprising? If Moutinho, Coentrão and Nani don´t step up we usually have no other choices. Our national team is very limited in what concerns attacking options. That´s why a player like Coentrão at left back is a crucial figure on our setup

it's very simple, if you sit deep and don't let portugal catch you on the break or counter, you'll take away the most dangerous part of ronaldo's attack.

Ronaldo contrary to the consensus, is not that strong. He's not weak, but compared to the other monster number 9's, he lacks balance and the raw power to resist shoulder to shoulder challenge or being boxed out, that's why when queiroz put him as a more central striker (and when he did so for us) he was significantly less dangerous. When you make Ronaldo a role limited, focal point, he lacks the mass and strength to dominate a position like the number 9 demands.

you have to let ronaldo be a false 7, let him find spaces on the wings, and the lanes to drive into on counter attacks.

if you put a solid and organized defensive line infront of ronaldo and dare him to dribble and shoot from 30 yards, he becomes amazingly neutered.

Status
Not open for further replies.