Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody said he isn't creative. The point is he is not as creative as the all time greats people try and put him up there with. Those players were able to score and create at the very highest level and they proved it. Ronaldo hasn't done so, he had a fantastic balance here 06/07 does stick out the passes he used to play through. I feel as he as he has gotten older he has become goal obsessed now.

Regardless they are two of the best I have seen

I feel they both drive each other on, but for me Ronaldo is chasing Messi while Messi is chasing history. I don't think he can NEVER be good as Messi but he is 29 now, as long as he is scoring goals and winning trophies does he really even need to change?

Not as much as Messi and Ronaldo are doing now. You can argue that it is a different era now, and I would agree, but Ronaldo's stats in particular speak for themselves.

Since Cryuff, I can't think of a winger that Ronaldo should model his game after. Because that is what he is. A winger/wide forward.

Nobody said he isn't creative. The point is he is not as creative as the all time greats people try and put him up there with. Those players were able to score and create at the very highest level and they proved it. Ronaldo hasn't done so, he had a fantastic balance here 06/07 does stick out the passes he used to play through. I feel as he as he has gotten older he has become goal obsessed now.

Regardless they are two of the best I have seen

I feel they both drive each other on, but for me Ronaldo is chasing Messi while Messi is chasing history. I don't think he can NEVER be good as Messi but he is 29 now, as long as he is scoring goals and winning trophies does he really even need to change?
Just curious who are those players you are talking about?

And how many games have you seen them play.

I hope you dont come up with Kaka and Gerrard again

To be fair scoring 40, 30, was as exceptional in one era as scoring 60 is in this era

Brilliant player. One thing great about him that usually goes unnoticed is his adaptability. He has played for 4 different coaches at the top level now. Regardless of whatever tactics and system he plays in, he will somehow find a way to thrive. Being in that Real Madrid circus, you will never hear stuff like, "he's still settling in to the new manager's style of football or the new tactics etc". Its always season after season of tremendous form and consistency.

I wish I knew the answer to that question.

But the likes of Ronaldo , van Basten, etc have and are always rated amongst the greatest of their time (and ever) despite never having a 60-goal season, club wise. Ronaldo's 47 in 1997 generated just as much hype as Messi's 73 in 2012, yet there's a 26 goal gap between the totals. van Basten's seen as one of the greatest footballers of all time, I don't think he ever reached 40 goals in a season in his career. I would say the same for Romário but he had that freak 70 goal season in 2000.

He is quite a good passer actually, this is a bit of a myth I don't quite understand... If he wasn't a good passer then how has he just overtaken Ozil, who is supposed to be a passing god, on the assists for Real Madrid?

And how is he not a complete footballer then if he has pace, strength, long shot, short shot, a leap both feet, technique and agility? Am I missing something to make him not complete?

I wouldn't class him as a good passer. A good passer is someone like Carrick, Schweinsteiger, Gerrard, Carzola. Players like Pirlo, Sneijder, Riquleme belong to the category of great passers.

Ronaldo's passing is decent at best. He doesn't try anything extravagant, its typically the short pass, and he always makes the right choice.

Wait, Messi is a better passer of the ball? A better dribbler, sure, no question about it. But a better passer? I'm honestly not so sure. Ronaldo is a great passer and has brilliant awareness, very often overlooked.

Someone post the clip of some of his brilliant passes that was posted in this thread a while back. (by Hectic I think it was) I can't as I'm on my phone right now.

Wait, Messi is a better passer of the ball? A better dribbler, sure, no question about it. But a better passer? I'm honestly not so sure. Ronaldo is a great passer and has brilliant awareness, very often overlooked.

Someone post the clip of some of his brilliant passes that was posted in this thread a while back. (by Hectic I think it was) I can't as I'm on my phone right now.

I'm sorry but Messi's passing technique is excellent. Diversity, weight, range, he has it all. Passing is not something Ronaldo can boast about.

Also did someone say Messis been playing top 30 in the world when he has 25 in 28 and many assists despite injuries. I mean comeon.

I said more than that...

Anyway, in current form, players like Vidal, Ronaldo, Suarez, Kross (a few more maybe?) are better than Messi. Or at least i would prefer to get them before Messi to strengthen my team.

Now, if Messi go back to his best level, then he is the best in the world no doubt.

It's a really boring debate as he clearly is a good passer.

Just curious who are those players you are talking about?

And how many games have you seen them play.

I hope you dont come up with Kaka and Gerrard again

I thought you were ignoring me?

There are players now who are more creative than him

Players who combined it: Messi, Maradona, Pele, Di Stefano

Pele and D Stefano very little of obviously but Maradona quite a bit of and Messi a lot of. People debate Messi being the greatest ever and he's better than Ronaldo and combines these skills better than he does so....

Not as much as Messi and Ronaldo are doing now. You can argue that it is a different era now, and I would agree, but Ronaldo's stats in particular speak for themselves.

Since Cryuff, I can't think of a winger that Ronaldo should model his game after. Because that is what he is. A winger/wide forward.

He spends A LOT of time in the striker position. Much more than most wide forwards. People have this idea that he is out on the wings cutting in and shooting or putting crosses in, but he pops up everywhere honestly. Wherever he feels he can do the most damage.

Nobody is debating Ronaldo being an all time great player.

Messi and Maradona had this ability to make the game revolve around them, to create chances for their team mates. True playmakers or no.10.

That isn't Ronaldo's skillset, which is fine nobody is knocking as a player. The only comment is that to be one of the VERY VERY best and a 'complete' attacker, you need to have the ability to do both.

Why does he need to be as creative? Few of these all time greats people talk about but rarely watched regularly could match Ronaldo's goalscoring. How many of them where as good in the area Ronaldo excels?

Very few, but how many played on teams as stacked as Real. I doubt any of the games goalscorers would have struggled to rack up 40-50 goal seasons in these Real and Barca teams, playing in La Liga.

He is a fantastic striker/goalscorer but as a creator he lacks what the very very best had. There are players who could do both and that is the level he aspires to surely?

having watched the video the first time it was posted, and now again, i'm going to state that ronaldo is not a bad passer. he has bundles of technique, a decent enough accuracy, and creativity. but probably 60+% of those passes were nearly irrelevant party tricks, a chest pass 5 yards to another player from the touchline, a backheel pass to the outside. he is a good passer and like i said earlier, creative around the 18 yard box with 1-2's and 1 touch passes.

but messi is just a completely different story. he can incisively thread passes, dribble to create space and delay for runs, and execute plays. Messi is a playmaker, which ronaldo isn't. Messi creates pass opportunities, opens spaces, and directly contributes to key attacking phases with passes that only the very very best midfielders can execute. Messi's vision is just out of this world sometimes as well, playing passes against momentum, or having such a keen awareness of player runs and timing. Ronaldo is a good good passer, and if he senses a teammate behind him in space, he has the technique to redirect a pass to him. This type of awareness isn't rare though, just the technical execution. It is very rare for a player to have the ball facing a set up defence, and still be able to unlock a penetrating run, from 30-40 yards.

if you want, go search messi passes or assists, and you'll find half hour videos through pages and pages. i won't post one since apparently that's taboo.

Very few, but how many played on teams as stacked as Real. I doubt any of the games goalscorers would have struggled to rack up 40-50 goal seasons in these Real and Barca teams, playing in La Liga.

He is a fantastic striker/goalscorer but as a creator he lacks what the very very best had. There are players who could do both and that is the level he aspires to surely?
Name all these players who are as creative as you are saying who got close to number of goals Ronaldo scores season after season? Players you could actually watch every week.

having watched the video the first time it was posted, and now again, i'm going to state that ronaldo is not a bad passer. he has bundles of technique, a decent enough accuracy, and creativity. but probably 60+% of those passes were nearly irrelevant party tricks, a chest pass 5 yards to another player from the touchline, a backheel pass to the outside. he is a good passer and like i said earlier, creative around the 18 yard box with 1-2's and 1 touch passes.

but messi is just a completely different story. he can incisively thread passes, dribble to create space and delay for runs, and execute plays. Messi is a playmaker, which ronaldo isn't. Messi creates pass opportunities, opens spaces, and directly contributes to key attacking phases with passes that only the very very best midfielders can execute. Messi's vision is just out of this world sometimes as well, playing passes against momentum, or having such a keen awareness of player runs and timing. Ronaldo is a good good passer, and if he senses a teammate behind him in space, he has the technique to redirect a pass to him. This type of awareness isn't rare though, just the technical execution. It is very rare for a player to have the ball facing a set up defence, and still be able to unlock a penetrating run, from 30-40 yards.

if you want, go search messi passes or assists, and you'll find half hour videos through pages and pages. i won't post one since apparently that's taboo.

Barcelona uses the short pass all the time which is easy not to miss unlike Ronaldo who crosses to Benzema a ton of times from a 30-40 yard and Benzema normally never gets the ball. Anyway this thread is changing to a messi vs ronaldo.

Name all these players who are as creative as you are saying who got close to number of goals Ronaldo scores season after season? Players you could actually watch every week.
ronaldo luis, suarez, zlatan, nevermind the likes of messi, pele, and di stefano.

Not sure if serious.....

Yes, Messi is a better passer. A vastly better passer.

ronaldo luis, suarez, zlatan, nevermind the likes of messi, pele, and di stefano.
Did you watch the last two regularly? I've yet to Ibrahimovic, Suarez or Ronaldo hit the number of goals Cristiano has. I also wouldn't consider any of them more creative than Ronaldo.

Did you watch the last two regularly? I've yet to Ibrahimovic, Suarez or Ronaldo hit the number of goals Cristiano has. I also wouldn't consider any of them more creative than Ronaldo.
suarez has a better goals ratio then ronaldo this season, and watching him the last few monthes, has such a tremendous all around game because of his danger with the ball in any given situation, he's put in numerous quality passes and assists the last few weeks alone. considering technical skill, suarez is quite quite far behind ronaldo's level, but suarez is much more dangerous on the direct key passes.

zlatan is obviously a playmaker to anyone that watches him, he's a fantastic passer, and he's always been around a 30 goal scorer. he's got 32 goals in 31 apps this season, and 10 goals in 6 apps for all the moaning about france's league quality.

Seriously? Messi's passing is on another level to Ronaldo's.

suarez has a better goals ratio then ronaldo this season, and watching him the last few monthes, has such a tremendous all around game because of his danger with the ball in any given situation, he's put in numerous quality passes and assists the last few weeks alone. considering technical skill, suarez is quite quite far behind ronaldo's level, but suarez is much more dangerous on the direct key passes.

zlatan is obviously a playmaker to anyone that watches him, he's a fantastic passer, and he's always been around a 30 goal scorer. he's got 32 goals in 31 apps this season, and 10 goals in 6 apps for all the moaning about france's league quality.
His goal ratio is slightly better for one season and now you're claiming he's close to Ronaldo in goal scoring. You're stretching here. It's like you've formed your opinion and then went desperately searching for something to back it up.

i don't think anyone has called ronaldo a shit passer, it's simply not a weapon that is considerably potent. it's more of a party trick then a direct threat or capability to attack the opposition. it's different from players of the past greats who were more rounded, and were more uncontainable for their ability to escape opposition attempts of isolation through their capability of distributing and commanding plays with passing. just think of that old ronaldinho commercial about the no look pass, "when the whole world is watching you, what do you do? make them look the other way". those greats were not only lethal with the ball, but lethal even in giving up the ball.

i don't take anything away from ronaldo. if we talk about just being a striker, being a forward, he's one of the talented ever, probably the most physically talented ever. i don't think he's half as strong as some people make him out to be, despite his beautiful muscles, but he has the luxury of being both arguably the fastest man in football, and being one of the most aerially explosive and deadly in football. for a striker, this is basically the ultimate combination of deadliness. he is one of the smartest at making and recognizing space to get a through ball, the fastest at getting to the end of the through ball, and deadly in finishing around the 18 yard box. he is one of the best jumpers, one of the best at getting on the end of crosses, and one of the best at redirecting a cross with a header into the net with power and accuracy.

we can talk about ronaldo as being a legendary striker.

it's a difference in my view though in talking about him as being a legendary player, as the greater a footballer is, the greater his talent all over the field in as many capabilities or situations as possible. Think of what Guardiola described Lahm as being, "understand[ing] the game, no, the others don't [understand], alot of players tend his (one's) position so well, philip can play in all positions, that show me how intelligent he is. Football is a game where the people move, and you have to decide in 1 second in what is going on, in your position, and what is going on all around the field, and he decides the right moment you must run." A maradona will be just as dangerous 50 yards away from the goal as he is 15 yards away because of his passing and dribbling. the same with pele and messi. di stefano would run all over the field, defend, contribute to build up play, make deadly passes, and score goals. ronaldo was not only one of the fastest dribblers, he was one of the strongest, and most agile. you couldn't stop him with strength, you couldn't stop him with speed, you couldn't stop him with nimbleness, and he was one of the deadlist finishers from any position of all time. this combined with vision, field awareness, the total capability to execute a pass, and ronaldo was just deadly almost anytime and anywhere he got the ball.

is that cristiano? i don't see it. in the final 30-20 yards, ronaldo may be one of the deadlist players ever, but if you isolate his supply of passes, if he didn't have moutinho threading those passes to him at sweden, if you push real madrid into their own half when they get the ball like barca did under pep, how effective is he? when he is one on one against a defender like cole? he was scoreless in his first 6 or so clasicos, and only scored 1 goal in 13 games against chelsea. that says alot. especially when he has little else influence in these situations, if he doesn't get the chance to score. you can say it's experience that he lacked at that moment, but i think the only difference is situation. ronaldo scores against barca these days, but hell, deportivo who got relegated put 3 past barca. bayern put 7 over two legs. scoring against barca is totally unimpressive to me these days, considering their state as a team, and a club, has absolutely crumbled since pep guardiola left.

i call him one of the best strikers ever if not the best, but i won't call him the best player, not from what i've seen. this shouldn't be an insult or putdown unless what you want is more and more acclaim and glory for ronaldo the person due to personal views.

His goal ratio is slightly better for one season and now you're claiming he's close to Ronaldo in goal scoring. You're stretching here. It's like you've formed your opinion and then went desperately searching for something to back it up.
look nobody will match ronaldo and messi's total goal scoring ratios, but suarez is pretty close, and has the edge this season, so i see no reason why he can't be used as an example.

Laughable to compare Ronaldo's passing ability to Messi. Ronaldo is a decent passer for a winger, but Messi is one of the world's greatest passers period. Silly comparison.

Suarez is in terrific form this season, but I agree, if you're going to put him in the same bracket as Ronaldo, he's got to prove it on the big stage and over many seasons.

If we list down all ballon d'or/FIFA award winners in the last 20 years, there are certainly more skilled and talented footballers than Ronaldo, right from Baggio, Papin, Weah, R9 Ronaldo to Messi.

But Ronaldo has evolved his game and these days one of the most complete attacking goal threats the game as ever seen.

Noticeable weakenesses..he ain't any where as skilled as the South Americans Messi, R9 Ronaldo, or Ronaldinho lack the shooting accuracy of a Batistuta or Romario neither has the playmaking ability of Francescoli, Laudrup, Xavi or Zidane.

But with his incredible strength on the ball, physical ability and desire,he has surpassed almost all number 9's.

If can player can get goals every weekend, and win leagues and the CL's the individual skill quotient shouldnt really matter.

Goals are the stat that matters in football and Ronaldo scores them in abundance, better than his namesake.

Ronaldo turned down Barcelona, says Calderon
The Portuguese star could have joined Real Madrid's rivals after erstwhile Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson "offered" him to the Catalans
Cristiano Ronaldo turned down the chance to join Barcelona before his world-record deal to join Real Madrid, former ex-Blancos president Ramon Calderon has revealed.

The Portuguese star joined Madrid in 2009 for a fee of €94 million from Manchester United and has become a huge hit at the Santiago Bernabeu, winning the 2013 Ballon d'Or for his sensational performances for both club and country.

However, former Madrid president Calderon insists former United manager Sir Alex Ferguson attempted to engineer a move to rivals Barca for the attacker - but Ronaldo refused.

Asked whether the Scot tried to send Ronaldo to the Blaugrana, Calderon told talkSPORT: "It is totally true. In the few weeks he tried to avoid him going to Real Madrid, offering him to Barcelona.

"Barcelona were very happy but in that moment it was very crucial as Ronaldo said: 'I'm not going to any other club but Real Madrid.'‏

"That's why we signed the deal. Everyone was happy: Manchester United got the £80 million [€94m], Real Madrid got the best player in the world and Cristiano got what he wanted because players like him are not only looking for money, they look for glory, and they look for anyone who is giving them that opportunity to win titles, to be the best in the world, to win golden boots.

"There are only three, four or five clubs that can give him what he wants."

Ronaldo has scored 22 goals in 21 league appearances for Madrid this season.

Sorry if old.

For the first time since Messi was like 18 years old, i can say Ronaldo is playing better than him. not only because Messi has dropped his level, but because Ronaldo has improved a lot in this last 2 years. He is so much better when playing for the team rather than for himself.

This season Messi looks like a top 30 player. I hope he pick up his true form, because is a delight to watch him play at his best, even though he plays for 2 of the most annoying teams out there.

It would be a real shame if he goes the Ronaldinho way...

Mess's injuries,match fitness levels and the internal squabbles at Barcelona has slowed down his incredible run, but nothing to take away from Ronaldo, he has certainly improved or maintained the same level of consistency whatever way we analyse his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.