Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pippa is now my favourite Real Madrid fan in football forum, sorry Vato(you're still my favourite in general).

He is quite a good passer actually, this is a bit of a myth I don't quite understand... If he wasn't a good passer then how has he just overtaken Ozil, who is supposed to be a passing god, on the assists for Real Madrid?

And how is he not a complete footballer then if he has pace, strength, long shot, short shot, a leap both feet, technique and agility? Am I missing something to make him not complete?

He's been there longer? I'm betting most of them a straight forward passes too. I haven't gotten to see Madrid much this season but in previous seasons I struggle to think of any assists that I thought were really tough to pull off.

How often do you see him cut a defence open with a through ball or play quick one touch passes in tight areas? I don't think it's a myth, I think in terms of his passing and eye for a pass he's rather more normal.

I wonder how different this thread would bbe if he would have stayed at United. Most of the people trying to pick on his "normal" passing would be calling him the best player in history.

He is quite a good passer actually, this is a bit of a myth I don't quite understand... If he wasn't a good passer then how has he just overtaken Ozil, who is supposed to be a passing god, on the assists for Real Madrid?

And how is he not a complete footballer then if he has pace, strength, long shot, short shot, a leap both feet, technique and agility? Am I missing something to make him not complete?

Firstly I don't know where that information came from, but by my count Cristiano is on 59 assists for Real Madrid (in 232 apps, all comps). Özil had 72 assists in 159 games in all competitions, which is insanely good, close to an assist every other game (0.45 apg). For comparison's sake Cristiano averages 0.25 assists per game at RM, which in itself is already excellent.

Secondly, being a good passer and getting a lot of assists aren't even necessarilly linked. Strikers who aren't renowned for their passing game manage to accumulate a decent amount of assists by virtue of simply leading the line... Luca Toni has 7 assists in Serie A this season, Aritz Aduriz has 7 assists in La Liga, Giroud and Rickie Lambert both have 8 assists in the PL, etc. The vast majority of Cristiano's assists are short one-two's, flicks, pull-backs and sometimes crosses... all great skills, but not exactly proof that he could produce the same amount of chances from a deeper position (like for example Özil) which would require a different skillset altogether (vision, weight for through balls, long balls, etc.).

Cristiano is a good passer indeed, but nothing extraordinary compared to many of his contemporaries even.

I'm not sure you understand what a complete FOOTBALLER is...you do realise there are 2 crucial, crucial sides of football, no? Offence and Defence?

As a CF, he's almost unmatched in the modern era, certainly with the attributes you've listed. Very few forwards can combine the physical and technical gifts that Cristiano has. But one entire side of his skill-set is missing, and some of his other skills are lacking.

Firstly I don't know where that information came from, but by my count Cristiano is on 59 assists for Real Madrid (in 232 apps, all comps). Özil had 72 assists in 159 games in all competitions, which is insanely good, close to an assist every other game (0.45 apg). For comparison's sake Cristiano averages 0.25 assists per game at RM, which in itself is already excellent.

Secondly, being a good passer and getting a lot of assists aren't even necessarilly linked. Strikers who aren't renowned for their passing game manage to accumulate a decent amount of assists by virtue of simply leading the line... Luca Toni has 7 assists in Serie A this season, Aritz Aduriz has 7 assists in La Liga, Giroud and Rickie Lambert both have 8 assists in the PL, etc. The vast majority of Cristiano's assists are short one-two's, flicks, pull-backs and sometimes crosses... all great skills, but not exactly proof that he could produce the same amount of chances from a deeper position (like for example Özil) which would require a different skillset altogether (vision, weight for through balls, long balls, etc.).

Cristiano is a good passer indeed, but nothing extraordinary compared to many of his contemporaries even.
Ronaldo doesn't have somebody as brilliant as Ronaldo to pass to though.

Ronaldo doesn't have somebody as brilliant as Ronaldo to pass to though.
di maria, benzema? they make the runs when ronaldo has the ball, and for a while ronaldo had higuain. look how brilliant ronaldo was with higuain.

i agree completely with skorenzy. ronaldo is a nice passer with decent technical finesse, but he lacks range, he lacks vision and the ability to look for a pass and execute in possesion, at best he's capable of an assist around the 18 yard box with a back heel or a 1-2 pass.

messi is completely different. he looks for passes, and executes them, but pedro and tello and sanchez especially, are much more wasteful then would be desirable, where if messi was on the end of messi's passes he'd have dozens more assists a year.

di maria, benzema? they make the runs when ronaldo has the ball, and for a while ronaldo had higuain. look how brilliant ronaldo was with higuain.

i agree completely with skorenzy. ronaldo is a nice passer with decent technical finesse, but he lacks range, he lacks vision and the ability to look for a pass and execute in possesion, at best he's capable of an assist around the 18 yard box with a back heel or a 1-2 pass.

messi is completely different. he looks for passes, and executes them, but pedro and tello and sanchez especially, are much more wasteful then would be desirable, where if messi was on the end of messi's passes he'd have dozens more assists a year.

Nowhere near as magnificent as Ronaldo.

they're simply examples of things that really happened. words are useless without this documentation to back it up as evidence. i'll stop if it's some sort of etiquette taboo but i simply don't understand how they can be irrelevant. these are examples of messi passing to di maria, for everyone to watch.

they're simply examples of things that really happened. words are useless without this documentation to back it up as evidence. i'll stop if it's some sort of etiquette taboo but i simply don't understand how they can be irrelevant. these are examples of messi passing to di maria, for everyone to watch.

Stop it, or you may be eviscerated from Middle earth.

If he played for Barcelona it would be more obvious, he has a tendency to be reckless (it isn't undeserved). Attacks break down because of this. His shots a game is also another indicator. It is a minor gripe because he is so damn productive, but when discussing best player ever and better than Messi etc. these things are highlighted more. He will mess up attacks and make the wrong pass, too greedy, etc. He doesn't play within the team structure a lot of the time, he isn't as creative as the likes of Messi, Iniesta, Silva even Ribery. He doesn't have the type of vision these players have, he may do but he doesn't use. He is good at these things he just isn't amazing.

These traits show up more in tight matches. When Madrid need somebody to open up the game Ronaldo has rarely ever showed up. As a creator he isn't on that elite level. When I watch him I see a goal scorer like few others in history but not an elite creator or playmaker.

Two goals and two assists and people still moan about it.

He really must be one of the greats if people have such high standards when it comes to him.

I'm not sure you understand what a complete FOOTBALLER is...you do realise there are 2 crucial, crucial sides of football, no? Offence and Defence?

As a CF, he's almost unmatched in the modern era, certainly with the attributes you've listed. Very few forwards can combine the physical and technical gifts that Cristiano has. But one entire side of his skill-set is missing, and some of his other skills are lacking.

So the "complete" players like Pele and Maradonna had an defensive side too? Maybe the word "footballer" shouldn't be used, more the position "forward", which is hard to against him being the most complete at.

And what is this skill-set that he is missing?

He is a complete striker but as an attacking player he is not a world class creator nor does he have world class vision and execution. There are players within this generation and all time who did both including Messi, that is what people mean by not complete.

He is a complete striker but as an attacking player he is not a world class creator nor does he have world class vision and execution. There are players within this generation and all time who did both including Messi, that is what people mean by not complete.

I assume you aren't talking about Ronaldo here? If you are then your opinion, though it is an opinion and everyone is entitled to one, is completely and totally wrong.

That's what makes for me the difference between him an Messi and what will always separate them unless Ronaldo drastically improve his creative game.

I don't think people would describe the likes of Pelé and Maradona as complete "footballers", relative to the sport and the variety of positions played. I did a quick search and I found something that basically describes what I'm trying to say in a simpler way:

http://www.quora.com/Football-Players-soccer/Who-is-the-most-complete-football-player-of-all-time
A 'complete' footballer is a very subjective word here. There could be two possible interpretations here-

1. A player who excels in all attributes that are necessary for the position he plays.
  2. A person who equally contributes to the defence and attack. [...]
I look at Bobby Moore's quote on Pelé where Moore praises him, calling him the most complete player he has ever seen. But then he goes on to list all of his offensive attributes, which makes me think that Moore believes Pelé is the most complete offensive footballer he has ever seen. Do I think Pelé had a complete skill-set as an overall footballer? I'm no expert, but I don't think he would excel as a central defender. So I don't think he is the complete footballer.

Someone like Ruud Gullit, who has played as forward, midfielder, defender, he's a complete footballer. Cristiano, who combines explosiveness, technique, strength, is a complete forward, certainly. He's not a great passer, nothing special as a creator, a decent dribbler (nothing like he used to be), doesn't strike me as an "intelligent" team-mate, and he doesn't defend at all. Just my opinion, it seems we interpret the meaning of complete footballer differently

I assume you aren't talking about Ronaldo here? If you are then your opinion, though it is an opinion and everyone is entitled to one, is completely and totally wrong.

I was just answering a question sir. Why so? How often do you watch him play?

You think Kaka and Gerrard are better players than Ronaldo and that they perform better at big games than Ronaldo, like someone said you're entitled to your opinion but it doesnt mean it will be taken serious, certainly not by me.

That's what makes for me the difference between him an Messi and what will always separate them unless Ronaldo drastically improve his creative game.

I agree, Messi is not the finisher Ronaldo is but he manages to score roughly around the same amount of goals. While Messi's passing, creativity and playmaking ability is on a level that Ronaldo can't match. Which means Messi can hurt you in two ways, when his team is struggling to fashion chances he can drop deep and dictate the game in the final 3rd. When Ronaldo's team struggles to create he is just a bystander. Like I said 95% keeping up his phenomenal scoring so you really can't criticise him.

But when it comes to the harder teams, who give you less chances and are less open what he lacks stands out more.

I just feel like Ronaldo is obsessed with scoring, like he has convinced himself if he scores the most he is the best. Still an amazing player though. One of the best I have ever watched.

You think Kaka and Gerrard are better players than Ronaldo and that they perform better at big games than Ronaldo, like someone said you're entitled to your opinion but it doesnt mean it will be taken serious, certainly not by me.

Don't respond to my post then.

I think Ronaldo's strengths and weaknesses were well illustrated in the Portuguese run to the world cup. Being our best player (well, he is at Madrid too, but it's a lesser difference towards the 2nd bests) and having unique status all offensive duties were up to him and the product was absolutely nothing. In the match against Sweden, circumstances forced us to play a bit more like Madrid, he ran free up front, and was absolutely devastating.

The play making and creative elements of his game are relatively weak, he's raw power and finishing prowess taken to insane heights.

I think Ronaldo's strengths and weaknesses were well illustrated in the Portuguese run to the world cup. Being our best player (well, he is at Madrid too, but it's a lesser difference towards the 2nd bests) and having unique status all offensive duties were up to him and the product was absolutely nothing. In the match against Sweden, circumstances forced us to play a bit more like Madrid, he ran free up front, and was absolutely devastating.

The play making and creative elements of his game are relatively weak, he's raw power and finishing prowess taken to insane heights.

Which is fine because he is so good at what he does and he did score the goals that got you there. But once you critique him on here at all, there is uproar. I've made an effort to watch more of him this season and I fully agree wth you.

He is an amazing player but anyone who can't see these weaknesses doesn't watch him enough.

Agreed on most of your points. That 2nd leg v Sweden... Moutinho was out of this world IMO, completely ran the Portuguese offense, every chance was created from his boot and those assists, esp. the one for their 3rd goal :drool:. Cristiano was clutch as f.uck though, like he always seems to be in these international play-offs, and he took his responsibility in the first half by running his arse off leading the line (put in one excellent cross I remember), not just goal-hanging like he so often does.

Status
Not open for further replies.