Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will never happen, Ronaldo simply isnt in that mould which are usually referred to as greatest of all time. Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Di Stefano and Messi, all these players share one thing in common - they are very complete attacking players. They could do everything and actually did a lot more than Ronaldo does over 90 minutes. All those players had great scoring ability and creativity but most importantly the ability to dominate a game by being at the heart of it the whole time. Ronaldo would always be in the bracket of the likes of Eusebio, Puskas, Ronaldo Fenomeno, etc, which isn't a bad company to have but the ones who would affect a game mainly throughee their goal threat despite having other qualities while the former group could assume most roles needed to influence a game and even if they don't score they would be able to tilt the game in the favour of their side.

Fair post. Agree with it as well. Though I think if he somehow leads Portugal to a WC win, it may elevate him in GOAT tier.

Ronaldo's on the way to score 50+ goals for 4th season in a row. And in every of those seasons he has contributed about 15+ assists. These stats are mind blowing. If I'm not mistaken, no European player has ever been that productive for several consecutive seasons. Ronaldo's on the way to rival Cruyff for best European footballer ever.

Fair post. Agree with it as well. Though I think if he somehow leads Portugal to a WC win, it may elevate him in GOAT tier.

Well, that is not going to happen, not this World cup.

The post you quoted summed him up pretty well. He would always require his team to do majority of the work and then he has the uncanny ability to maximize their efforts by putting the ball at the back of the net. Well possibly better than anyone ever has. Though he doesn't have the greatness to inspire his team in a way that the likes of Pele, Maradona or Messi can do.

Ronaldo's on the way to score 50+ goals for 4th season in a row. And in every of those seasons he has contributed about 15+ assists. These stats are mind blowing. If I'm not mistaken, no European player has ever been that productive for several consecutive seasons. Ronaldo's on the way to rival Cruyff for best European footballer ever.

Roanldo and Messi are special and up there, without a doubt. The one main gripe I have with these comparisons between generations and different teams/players is that it's nearly impossible to compare.

For instance, would Messi and Ronaldo post anywhere near these ridiculous stats if they weren't at their respective clubs? The one is playing in a "once in a generation" team, who's system he grew up in and is tweaked to get the best out of him while the other is playing for the most expensive squad ever assembled, in the history of football.

Surely these aren't level playing fields with most of the "GOATS" from yesteryear? I'm not saying it's not worth the debate because it obviously is as these 2 are both phenomenal and on a different level to any player I've ever seen (except Ronaldinho of course :drool:), but I do think their stats are, well, almost "supplemented", if that makes sense.

More players should do it then. No real talent required.
I have to disagree there. Hugo Rodallega must've shown some great talent to have made the second most attempts in the Premier League in one season. André Schürrle showed some innate ability to pull off the most attempts in the Bundesliga last season - he certainly made it count with his 9% conversion rate.

I don't think anything beats André-Pierre Gignac's talent that allowed him to pull off a stunning 148 attempts in the 2009-10 Ligue 1 campaign, a record bested only by other talented European footballers like Rooney (26 goals), Di Natale (29), Cristiano (27), Dzeko (22). It's a shame that all this talent resulted in a 5% conversion rate, with 8 goals scored that season.

Roanldo and Messi are special and up there, without a doubt. The one main gripe I have with these comparisons between generations and different teams/players is that it's nearly impossible to compare.

For instance, would Messi and Ronaldo post anywhere near these ridiculous stats if they weren't at their respective clubs? The one is playing in a "once in a generation" team, who's system he grew up in and is tweaked to get the best out of him while the other is playing for the most expensive squad ever assembled, in the history of football.

Surely these aren't level playing fields with most of the "GOATS" from yesteryear? I'm not saying it's not worth the debate because it obviously is as these 2 are both phenomenal and on a different level to any player I've ever seen (except Ronaldinho of course :drool:), but I do think their stats are, well, almost "supplemented", if that makes sense.

I agree that the circumstances matter when we evaluate players but Messi and Ronaldo have been so much more productive than most of the great palyers in the past that they have to be recognized for at least as good as them. Almost any great player from the past, with the exception of Maradona, played in a team that dominated in Europe. Take Puskas and Di Stefano (Real Madrid), Eusebio (Benfica were fantastic back then), Cruyff (Ajax), Beckenbauer and Müller (Bayern Munich), Marco van Basten (Milan), etc. I've watched Marco van Basten a lot and can tell you that C. Ronaldo is on a another level as an attacking player. Van Basten was one of the most complete centre forwards in the history of the game, great technician and goalscorer and quite artistic as well. But Ronaldo is so much more athletic, pacy, better at dribbling, hungry, dedicated, etc. that, IMO, van Basten pales in comparison. And I was a huge fan of van Basten.

I have to disagree there. Hugo Rodallega must've shown some great talent to have made the second most attempts in the Premier League in one season. André Schürrle showed some innate ability to pull off the most attempts in the Bundesliga last season - he certainly made it count with his 9% conversion rate.

I don't think anything beats André-Pierre Gignac's talent that allowed him to pull off a stunning 148 attempts in the 2009-10 Ligue 1 campaign, a record bested only by other talented European footballers like Rooney (26 goals), Di Natale (29), Cristiano (27), Dzeko (22). It's a shame that all this talent resulted in a 5% conversion rate, with 8 goals scored that season.
I think if you actually watched the game last night, you would realise Ronaldo didn't just take wild pot shots from outside the box. He had atleast 2/3 1 on 1 chances with the keeper that he saved very well. On another day Ronaldo could have had 7 goals, but the keeper made some excellent stops with his feet.

This never deters him though, it makes Ronaldo try even harder and want it more. Sure sometimes he can get a little greedy, but then let's be honest most top goalscorers are greedy. When it comes down to it though if there is a better opportunity for somebody else to score, he WILL pass it.

He is obsessed with scoring goals. Absolutely obsessed with individual glory.

He has 9 assists this season in La Liga and the CL. More than Messi and more than David Silva. His assist for Benzema last night was as good as you will ever see.

The past couple of years Ronaldo has been better than Messi. So I'd say they're about on par over their careers so far.

Jesus.

No, it's not been 'a couple of years'. And even if it had, Ronaldo will never reach the heights Messi has. He could quit tomorrow and Ronaldo would be trailing the rest of his career. He is quite simply not as good a player.

Not exactly sure how that's relevant to be honest....he was wasteful yesterday, I say that as a Real Madrid fan - by the way, I did watch the match, if you wanted to know - funnily enough you said the exact same thing in your 2nd and 3rd sentences that I said here, if you wanted some more proof that I watched the match (:wenger:).

It would be difficult to find an elite team that wouldn't wipe the floor with Schalke's defence - it's worth noting that against Chelsea, Dortmund, Bayern, and now Real Madrid, Schalke have a goal difference of 2:19, with 0 wins, 0 draws, and 5 very convincing losses.

They play Bayern on the weekend, again, I won't be surprised if Bayern manage to double their 0:4 away victory that they had in September if we see the same defence that we saw yesterday. that's only if they don't take their foot off the pedal after the first 45 minutes or so - there's a better chance of Bayern going undefeated in the Bundesliga than them conceding more than 1 goal against Schalke IMO.

The "wild pot shots" happen regularly, far too often for my liking. i don't enjoy seeing it, i know many others who don't like it either. I don't really know if you can say "sometimes" he can get a "little" greedy, it doesn't feel that way IMO. he's almost certainly the most greedy footballer in the world, I think, definitely amongst the top. Not really a fan of the goal-hunger you talked about either, he gets more agitated and will take the CF role until he gets the goal - i'm not sure what the total number of attempts was, but I would be interested in knowing how many shots he took from minutes 30-50.

To be fair the period from 30-50 mins you talked about, he had two shots saved by the keeper and one hit the post. The only really wasteful attempt I remember is the freekick and the shot from the rebound off it.

Quite simply the best player in the world and at par with Messi, if not better.

To be fair the period from 30-50 mins you talked about, he had two shots saved by the keeper and one hit the post. The only really wasteful attempt I remember is the freekick and the shot from the rebound off it.
I think we both are interpreting "wasteful" differently - to me he wasted all three opportunities, two of them were set up by Benz (who was by some margin the best player on the pitch), one of them by diMa. On a better day he probably would have converted all three, but Schalke provided almost no threat after the first 15 minutes so it was forgiven really

I think we both are interpreting "wasteful" differently - to me he wasted all three opportunities, two of them were set up by Benz (who was by some margin the best player on the pitch), one of them by diMa. On a better day he probably would have converted all three, but Schalke provided almost no threat after the first 15 minutes so it was forgiven really

I thought your issue was the he takes too many shots? You can't criticize that if keeper pulls off a good save or it hits the post.

On a general point, he does become a liability at times with his shoot at sight approach. That's just how it is though. You have to take the bad with the good.

More his wastefulness, which basically stems from taking so many shots, I guess :lol:

He can get obsessed with scoring. He did last night but only after Madrid went 2 up and he hit the post. Once he scored, he turned back into a footballer again. I've seen him do it before of course, and after three games when he was suspended he was always going to be a bit over eager.

You play him, you take the rough with the smooth. The smooth is that he averages a goal a game, he scares defenders into stupid mistakes and positional errors, and he never gives up or goes into hiding. Doesn't sound bad to me.

He had the talent to get into goal scoring positions but not the talent to finish.

When is the last time one of our wingers received the ball like this, beat his man and just stuck it?!
vl7gaqL.gif

We're Man Utd and our wingers haven't done anything even approaching close to attempting this all season - with the possible exception of that one Young goal.

New defence, midfield and attack needed if RVP fecks off. Happy days.

Ironically, Ronaldo

It will never happen, Ronaldo simply isnt in that mould which are usually referred to as greatest of all time. Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Di Stefano and Messi, all these players share one thing in common - they are very complete attacking players. They could do everything and actually did a lot more than Ronaldo does over 90 minutes. All those players had great scoring ability and creativity but most importantly the ability to dominate a game by being at the heart of it the whole time. Ronaldo would always be in the bracket of the likes of Eusebio, Puskas, Ronaldo Fenomeno, etc, which isn't a bad company to have but the ones who would affect a game mainly through their goal threat despite having other qualities while the former group could assume most roles needed to influence a game and even if they don't score they would be able to tilt the game in the favour of their side.

Agree with your post apart from the little segment about the real Ronaldo, he had the ability to do everything as well, if he wasn't for his injuries he would be up there with Maradona and Pele ahead of the likes of Cruyff.

Also don't think Di Stefano is that much revered than Puskas, if anything you should have them in the same group.

Agree with your post apart from the little segment about the real Ronaldo, he had the ability to do everything as well, if he wasn't for his injuries he would be up there with Maradona and Pele ahead of the likes of Cruyff.

Also don't think Di Stefano is that much revered than Puskas, if anything you should have them in the same group.
Yeah, Fenomeno really got pushed down by injuries, imagine if he had kept his Barca form for 5-6 odd years! :drool:

Di Stefano is rated quite higher than Puskas actually, and a lot of that has to do with his completeness. He came from the school where you should be able to win the ball, pass it with great accuracy and score as well. He was one of the first absolutely complete footballers and all that came along with the mentality of a lion. He won 5 European Cups in a row, scoring in each and every final.

Puskas was obviously really brilliant as well, however he wasn't as all round as Don Alfredo. He joined Madrid at the age of 31 and while his scoring record is phenomenal, the overall influence isn't as much as Di Stefano.

To be fair, if Mancini could do it, I am certain any decent winger could do it...

OKbjxBG.gif

2007 Champions League knock-out stages, reminds me a lot of Cristiano's goal for the obvious reasons. Mancini certainly pulled off the scissors better.
Speaking of Mancini this guy disappeared from the map once Mourinho signed him for Inter, what happen to this dude he seemed like a good player when he was with Roma.

It will never happen, Ronaldo simply isnt in that mould which are usually referred to as greatest of all time. Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Di Stefano and Messi, all these players share one thing in common - they are very complete attacking players. They could do everything and actually did a lot more than Ronaldo does over 90 minutes. All those players had great scoring ability and creativity but most importantly the ability to dominate a game by being at the heart of it the whole time. Ronaldo would always be in the bracket of the likes of Eusebio, Puskas, Ronaldo Fenomeno, etc, which isn't a bad company to have but the ones who would affect a game mainly through their goal threat despite having other qualities while the former group could assume most roles needed to influence a game and even if they don't score they would be able to tilt the game in the favour of their side.

Probably the dumbest thing I've ever read, considering Ronaldo is arguably the most complete player of all time. He has absolutely everything to his attacking game.

Probably the dumbest thing I've ever read, considering Ronaldo is arguably the most complete player of all time. He has absolutely everything to his attacking game.

He really isn't, in terms of all round game even when you exclude Messi i still think there are a couple of forwards not as good, but more 'complete' than him, the likes of Pele though were a different level to him entirely, could use both feett like Ronaldo, was athletic, could dribble through teams on his own, and most importantly had a better pass in him.

He really isn't, in terms of all round game even when you exclude Messi i still think there are a couple of forwards not as good, but more 'complete' than him, the likes of Pele though were a different level to him entirely, could use both feett like Ronaldo, was athletic, could dribble through teams on his own, and most importantly had a better pass in him.

Pele wasn't as good in the air, wasn't as fast as Ronaldo and wasn't as strong as ronaldo. He also didn't have as good of a shot as cristiano.

Pele wasn't as good in the air, wasn't as fast as Ronaldo and wasn't as strong as ronaldo. He also didn't have as good of a shot as cristiano.

He was, by all means he was nearly just as athletic as Ronaldo, while being more intelligent. But i think you've misinterpreted what people mean by complete, in the past Messi has been a more complete player even though he isn't as athletic, he's shown he has the ability to dictate play, to act as a playmaker while also being the teams main goalscorer. Thats an element Ronaldo lacks in his game as opposed to Messi or Pele.

To be fair I think that's about the dumbest thing I've read. The most complete attacker of all time who isn't a particularly good passer and who doesn't have the game intelligence of other greats?

What you mean is he can score with his head and either feet. That doesn't make you complete.

For the first time since Messi was like 18 years old, i can say Ronaldo is playing better than him. not only because Messi has dropped his level, but because Ronaldo has improved a lot in this last 2 years. He is so much better when playing for the team rather than for himself.

This season Messi looks like a top 30 player. I hope he pick up his true form, because is a delight to watch him play at his best, even though he plays for 2 of the most annoying teams out there.

It would be a real shame if he goes the Ronaldinho way...

To be fair I think that's about the dumbest thing I've read. The most complete attacker of all time who isn't a particularly good passer and who doesn't have the game intelligence of other greats?

What you mean is he can score with his head and either feet. That doesn't make you complete.

He is quite a good passer actually, this is a bit of a myth I don't quite understand... If he wasn't a good passer then how has he just overtaken Ozil, who is supposed to be a passing god, on the assists for Real Madrid?

And how is he not a complete footballer then if he has pace, strength, long shot, short shot, a leap both feet, technique and agility? Am I missing something to make him not complete?

What does this mean? What is this game intelligence?

He is quite a good passer actually, this is a bit of a myth I don't quite understand... If he wasn't a good passer then how has he just overtaken Ozil, who is supposed to be a passing god, on the assists for Real Madrid?

And how is he not a complete footballer then if he has pace, strength, long shot, short shot, a leap both feet, technique and agility? Am I missing something to make him not complete?

It's intangible. It can't be explained, he just has it, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.