Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Actually, even though saying he preferred Messi, I believe he actually disrespected Messi by saying that they are at the "same level." Sorry, but Messi won 4 Ballon D'Ors, he has broken individual scoring records that have stood for years made by the likes of Muller and Pele. I respect that Ronaldo has scored a bucketload since joining Real Madrid but, how many would he have scored had he suffered so many injuries that stopped him from playing for weeks on end? I could go on and on, to be honest, at the end of the day, I felt that when he issued his statement by stating they are both the same level, that was disrespectful towards a player who has no equal.
Actually the most disrespectful part was throwing Ibrahimovic's name there (because I think the gap between Messi and Ronaldo is smaller than the gap between Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic), but I agree that Blatter in the end was closer to making a case for Ronaldo rather than against him, by putting him on par with Messi, and trying to attribute the fact that Messi won the last Ballon d'Ors just because of his "personality" rather than him actually being a better player, which is what I referred to in my previous post..

swooshboy

Band of Brothers

0:41 to 0:58. How can you not miss him? :drool:...:(

I love that video - sums him up perfectly! He's similar to Michael Jordan in that he feeds off slights (perceived or real) and is able to channel that into higher levels of performance. Jordan would actually sometimes invent/imagine slights against him to motivate him.

Remember that Nike video of him - "Your love makes me strong. Your hate makes me unstoppable" - not many players can say that. Think of Rooney when he played against Everton - the crowd would frequently get to him and render him less effective. Ronaldo, in the season after the World Cup, fed off the boos he was getting at every stadium.

Take a huge amount of focus to be able to do that.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
I don't know how people are confused by his rection or his taking offence. The head of the footballing world not only said another player was his favourite (fawning over him in the process) but also took it upon himself to take the piss out of Ronaldo. I doubt he's genuinely troubled by the piss taking. Clearly though it shows a lack of respect by Blatter and this is exactly what Ronaldo pointed out. It's not like he's crying into his pillows or anything. He pointed out a clear lack of proffesionalism and respect that would otherwise probably have gone largely unnoticed.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Proud Lyon reminds me of that psycho ex-girlfriend who lost touch with reality.
:lol: Same thing struck to me while reading his posts. I find it funny when people refuse to regard Ronaldo at same level at Messi. Often, it is not about what they do on pitch, something where Ronaldo has proved himself to be equally good despite your club, Madrid, keeping up with its soap opera nature, has tried to make it as hard for him as possible.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
hmmm...

And if we're talking "disrespectful", IMO, bringing up Ibrahimovic's name with Messi and Ronaldo was far more disrespectful for Messi and Ronaldo than the other stuff. Also what's more disrespectful IMO is Ronaldo not showing up in the awards when he knew he wasn't going to win.

Yesterday @ 19:15

Actually the most disrespectful part was throwing Ibrahimovic's name there (because I think the gap between Messi and Ronaldo is smaller than the gap between Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic)

Today @5:34.

Bit of de ja vu here!

And I think you need to re-read what the word "disrespectful" actually means..

Moby

Dick
" Cristiano Ronaldo with his hat-trick now has 157 league goals in 146 games, overtaking the legendary Ferenc Puskas, who managed the same feat in 180 matches. He is now the fifth highest league scorer in Real Madrid’s history... Ronaldo became the second player to score a hat-trick against the same La Liga opponentsin four consecutive seasons - Alfredo Di Stefano had previously done it against Las Palmas."

Absolutely insane. These are the records set by two of the all time greatest goalscorers in an era where most games ended up with massive scorelines with team played 2 at the back and all.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Bale with two assists and two goals too. It is a crazy record though and he scores such a variety of goals. Scoring a hat-trick against the same opponents four years running is kind of funny- half surprised they don't try and clatter him early on in the game.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I love that video - sums him up perfectly! He's similar to Michael Jordan in that he feeds off slights (perceived or real) and is able to channel that into higher levels of performance. Jordan would actually sometimes invent/imagine slights against him to motivate him.

Remember that Nike video of him - "Your love makes me strong. Your hate makes me unstoppable" - not many players can say that. Think of Rooney when he played against Everton - the crowd would frequently get to him and render him less effective. Ronaldo, in the season after the World Cup, fed off the boos he was getting at every stadium.

Take a huge amount of focus to be able to do that.
Spot on, I wonder if he would have developed the same way if he had a quite WC with no major England involved incident. He would have still become a great player but the hate you mentioned (and the love from the Utd fans at the same time) transformed him into a machine.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
:lol: Same thing struck to me while reading his posts. I find it funny when people refuse to regard Ronaldo at same level at Messi. Often, it is not about what they do on pitch, something where Ronaldo has proved himself to be equally good despite your club, Madrid, keeping up with its soap opera nature, has tried to make it as hard for him as possible.

How??? By scoring less? creating less? Being less of a threat? Ronaldo is an amazing player, Messi is better. He doesn't have the ability Messi does, the last 5 years have proved that.

Also, if you don't believe they are on the same level as Messi there is something wrong with you? This is a United forum so Ronaldo is a legend on here, but if you can't see the ways OUTSIDE goals that Messi is a better player than Ronaldo then there isn't much to say. If you swapped Ronaldo for Messi at his peak Barca would have been a less dangerous/complete team. Do you see how opponents set up against them? That is the type of style Ronaldo struggles against. Real is the best place for him. The team is set up to suit his strengths.

ricardinho

How??? By scoring less? creating less? Being less of a threat? Ronaldo is an amazing player, Messi is better. He doesn't have the ability Messi does, the last 5 years have proved that.

Also, if you don't believe they are on the same level as Messi there is something wrong with you? This is a United forum so Ronaldo is a legend on here, but if you can't see the ways OUTSIDE goals that Messi is a better player than Ronaldo then there isn't much to say. If you swapped Ronaldo for Messi at his peak Barca would have been a less dangerous/complete team. Do you see how opponents set up against them? That is the type of style Ronaldo struggles against. Real is the best place for him. The team is set up to suit his strengths.
Blatter is that you?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Spot on, I wonder if he would have developed the same way if he had a quite WC with no major England involved incident. He would have still become a great player but the hate you mentioned (and the love from the Utd fans at the same time) transformed him into a machine.
Just don't forget who was responsible for starting that love Ronaldo stuff. :cool:

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
Actually the most disrespectful part was throwing Ibrahimovic's name there (because I think the gap between Messi and Ronaldo is smaller than the gap between Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic), but I agree that Blatter in the end was closer to making a case for Ronaldo rather than against him, by putting him on par with Messi, and trying to attribute the fact that Messi won the last Ballon d'Ors just because of his "personality" rather than him actually being a better player, which is what I referred to in my previous post..
Yes, I agree with that. That is a clear insult to a player who has done it all in spite of the injuries he has had throughout his career. However, I would just like to state, just for Vatos sake and I hope he listens. You might not agree with me, but for me, Messi is the best modern-day footballer ever, there is no photo. The goals that both Ronaldo and Messi have scored between them is phenomenal (did you see that Vato, we call it impartiality ;) you should learn how to do that some time) and no-one can say otherwise. We are witnessing the two greatest footballers of possibly our generation.

What I don't agree with is that we are elevating the likes of Ronaldo and Messi to the likes of Muller, Eusebio, Pele or even Maradona. These were footballers of exceptional talent who had an eye for a goal, but there is no way we can compare Messi or Ronaldo to these players. For me, the greatest Portuguese player ever was and will always be Eusebio, no other Portuguese player can touch him for what he did for club and country, and is probably the greatest player never to have won the world cup. Another thing that has been thrown around on here is the fact that neither Messi or Ronaldo have done what Maradona did in Serie A. Imagine, a player opting to play for little unknown Napoli against teams in a league that was known as being ultra-defensive in those days compared to now. Would the likes of Messi or Ronaldo be capable of bringing an equivalent Spanish team to league success, I am not so sure. For the time being, this is what separates the likes of Maradona and Ronaldo and Messi.

I admit that I am a Messi fan and was even when Ronaldo was at Manchester United. Though, I am inclined to say that with impartiality, I believe that both Ronaldo and Messi will stuggle to beat many of the top goalscoring records that are still left to be broken by the likes of Pele, Romario, Binder, Muller, Bican and Puskas. I will reserve judgement until they finish their careers, but for me, Messi is untouchable for the time-being.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

Don't bore me. I have very well put my case in last 10 pages or so and you know that as you were involved in discussion. I am not at all interested in repeating same thing again & again.

JaffyJoe

Nope, he can put even Blatter to shame with his Ronaldo belittling.

Really? Worst than Blatter? It was embarrassing for the head of FIFA, but you Ricardinho and all the other Ronaldo fans really need to grow up now.

JaffyJoe

Great player just slightly overrated by some on here.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Would anyone who saw Puskás say Ronaldo was a greater player? He must be pushing him close.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
As the King once summed up about Manchester United and Ronaldo:

“United is one of the biggest clubs in the world,” said Cantona. “They have been winning, are winning and will continue to win things generation after generation. They will always win whoever they have playing for them.
One thing sticks in my throat and that was his reaction to when Van De Sar saved Anelka's penalty in the Champions League final. Every single player from the United squad ran all the way to congratulate him because he was the hero and all Ronaldo done was lie down and start crying simply because of the fact he missed a penalty. Surely, he could have stopped thinking less of himself at that moment and congratulate the one deserves it. Or it could be that I am misinterpreting it differently?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
One thing sticks in my throat and that was his reaction to when Van De Sar saved Anelka's penalty in the Champions League final. Every single player from the United squad ran all the way to congratulate him because he was the hero and all Ronaldo done was lie down and start crying simply because of the fact he missed a penalty. Surely, he could have stopped thinking less of himself at that moment and congratulate the one deserves it. Or it could be that I am misinterpreting it differently?
Ferguson picked up on that in his book.

Rossa

Great player just slightly overrated by some on here.

Great player... Giggs is/was a great player; Keane was a great player and Gerrard is a great player. I think you are the one understimating him ever so slightly. He is much more than a great player. He is a brilliant player and one in a generation, only that there are two of them this time around.

I also think that bringing up the players of old are a bit redundant. One can never say who will be better and imo it's a statement to try to sound intelligent, almost football elitist if you will. Ronaldo can NEVER be the player Eusebio was or have the impact he had. No he can't, but he can be Ronaldo and be a freak of nature still, and arguably be the better footballer. Comparing him to a different player trying to match that player on his preferred attributes will be wrong. A Ronaldo and Cruyff comparison would be wrong for both players.

I can honestly say that I've never seen a better player than Messi or Ronaldo. I would personally put them on par, but I know many would disagree with that. I think Ronaldo has proven himself for two teams, and Messi has proven himself in what is arguably the greatests club team ever - he is a big part of the team being that though, but so is certainly Iniesta and Xavi too. Both are a bit too average at national teams though.

SirAF

Ageist
As the King once summed up about Manchester United and Ronaldo:

I don't think he cried because he missed the penalty, he cried with relief/happiness.

JaffyJoe

And profoundly underrated by a few..

I rate him highly, maybe if he was THE best of his generation then my praise would be unequivocal. But I feel the fact there is another player around who impresses me more makes me devalue him somewhat unfairly some may say. I feel he is an all time great he will be mentioned among the top 10-20 players ever with the chance to climb higher, but I don't seem his as being on Messi's level personally.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
On the collapsing at the end of the shootout thing. He said afterwards that he had thought that he'd cost us the match, and was feeling sick, and then suddenly we'd won, and he was the happiest he'd ever been - and it all just got to him. So he ended up laughing/crying on the grass thinking of his dad, and everything that had happened, and lost it for a bit. Sounded plausible, but who knows. I'm not sure he did.

JaffyJoe

I think that cry was one of relief, if we lost he would have seen it as his own fault. I also think that sealed his move to Real, in his mind (and justifiably so) he had done all he had to do here, maybe if we hadn't won he would have been less eager to go to Real so soon. He was only 24 when he left crazy how good he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.