Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I've just watched the penalty shootout from the CL final again - so this thread's been good for something - what a night. It's a lot easier to watch now :lol:

Anyway if anyone's curious it's at:

Oh, I thought I was posting a link there but the Forum auto-embedded it. OK.

And for those on Ron watch, you'll see him looking absolutely shellshocked at 51.40 when Giggs goes up to take his kick, then you'll see him again on the replay of the Anelka save, at 54.00 running with the rest to congratulate VdS then hitting the deck instead.

I'm trying to remember who it was couldn't look anymore during the kicks, see 52.00, was that Wes Brown?

What a night.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I rate him highly, maybe if he was THE best of his generation then my praise would be unequivocal. But I feel the fact there is another player around who impresses me more makes me devalue him somewhat unfairly some may say. I feel he is an all time great he will be mentioned among the top 10-20 players ever with the chance to climb higher, but I don't seem his as being on Messi's level personally.

And that's why probably no one really respects your opinion about Ronaldo in this thread.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I've just watched the penalty shootout from the CL final again - so this thread's been good for something - what a night. It's a lot easier to watch now :lol:

And for those on Ron watch, you'll see him looking absolutely shellshocked at 51.40 when Giggs goes up to take his kick, then you'll see him again on the replay of the Anelka save, at 54.00 running with the rest to congratulate VdS then hitting the deck instead.

I'm trying to remember who it was couldn't look anymore during the kicks, see 52.00, was that Wes Brown?

What a night.
:lol: How can anyone that watches this think he was crying about missing his penalty. :lol:

It just goes to show how much some posters go out of their way to make Ronaldo look bad, there's so much envy in the world...

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
And that's why probably no one really respects your opinion about Ronaldo in this thread.

I think less people agree with me, but there a few always see my point, it's a Man United forum so it will be understandably biased towards Ronaldo.

JaffyJoe

What a night.

It was so nerve-racking. I couldn't sit down during the shootout. As Ronaldo went us my aunt said he looks likes he is going to miss I was like psssh that's Ronaldo and then he did, the way I screamed at her, then she said the same thing for Terry. When VDS saved Anelka's pen it was such a great feeling.

JaffyJoe

Great player... Giggs is/was a great player; Keane was a great player and Gerrard is a great player. I think you are the one understimating him ever so slightly. He is much more than a great player. He is a brilliant player and one in a generation, only that there are two of them this time around.

I also think that bringing up the players of old are a bit redundant. One can never say who will be better and imo it's a statement to try to sound intelligent, almost football elitist if you will. Ronaldo can NEVER be the player Eusebio was or have the impact he had. No he can't, but he can be Ronaldo and be a freak of nature still, and arguably be the better footballer. Comparing him to a different player trying to match that player on his preferred attributes will be wrong. A Ronaldo and Cruyff comparison would be wrong for both players.

I can honestly say that I've never seen a better player than Messi or Ronaldo. I would personally put them on par, but I know many would disagree with that. I think Ronaldo has proven himself for two teams, and Messi has proven himself in what is arguably the greatests club team ever - he is a big part of the team being that though, but so is certainly Iniesta and Xavi too. Both are a bit too average at national teams though.

He is an amazing player one of the very best I have seen. It is the nature of football fans to compare players that's just how it is, we are all on this forum to debate and share opinions on the game so it happens. Only on a United forum will you get the majority saying Ronaldo is on Messi's level, Messi left him a few years ago now IMO. But Ronaldo's main attributes are his longevity and consistency. On his best day I think Zidane, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho match him from the last 10-15 years. Ronaldo just doesn't have that playmaking ability Messi has that is what separates them for me. Even though I really didn't enjoy the way he carried himself his last season here all the negative talk in regards to his character is OTT for me.

I just don't see the argument for Ronaldo being on Messi's level personally. We all have what we like to see in a player which is why I see your point in terms of comparing players being redundant.

Moby

Dick
:lol: How can anyone that watches this think he was crying about missing his penalty. :lol:

It just goes to show how much some posters go out of their way to make Ronaldo look bad, there's so much envy in the world...
This. Bringing out such small details to throw mud on him, is a bit desperate and beyond my understanding to be honest. He's a brilliant lad, at least that's what I make out from hearing the great stuff he has done outside football and I look up to him and hope to take some of it as an inspiration.

Moby

Dick
Would anyone who saw Puskás say Ronaldo was a greater player? He must be pushing him close.
While he is pushing his stats close and all, something that few may forget is that Puskas was 31 years old when he joined Madrid, and still scored like Ronaldo scores today, which is insane. And it was not all from poor defending or tap ins, from what I've watched even when he was not in great shape he could hammer the ball into the goal from virtually anywhere, on the biggest of occasions like that EC final against Benfica.

I reckon that as a goalscorer Puskas was really one of his kind who could aim the ball with that sort of power at will.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I'm not jealous of Ronaldo, just his hair...

On a serious note, Vato, I think it's time to acknowledge that people have different opinions. The way you interpret everything as "trying to make Ronaldo look bad" actually looks more like you are trying to "always make Ronaldo look good", well unless he has a problem with Real Madrid, then you suddenly start to see his flaws.

And not only you, I mean some here are even trashing the great SAF, just to make Ronaldo look good...

I don't like to use the word fanboys, but the Ronaldo fans need to calm down a bit.. Of course, since we're on a Man United forum, and in the Ronaldo thread, it's expected that the Ronaldo fans will outnumber anybody else here, but that doesn't mean that we should lose all objectivity, and start saying stupid things like:
... or ridicule any opinion you disagree with.

You love Ronaldo, we get it, but that doesn't make you "neutral".. That just makes you as biased as anybody else involved in a debate, about Ronaldo.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

You love Ronaldo, we get it, but that doesn't make you "neutral".. That just makes you as biased as anybody else involved in a debate, about Ronaldo.

There's no love for Ronaldo from me at all. It's called respecting a player for what he has shown in his career. And when did I say I was neutral? Good way to pick points out of nowhere

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
There's no love for Ronaldo from me at all. It's called respecting a player for what he has shown in his career. And when did I say I was neutral? Good way to pick points out of nowhere
I don't know you personally, so it might have been just this comment, but to say to somebody else that nobody, no one, respects his opinion about Ronaldo, just because you disagree with him, I think you're going too far.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Why is the uptight mod now with everyone mentioning that Argie in this thread? Now it's all okay?

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm not jealous of Ronaldo, just his hair...

On a serious note, Vato, I think it's time to acknowledge that people have different opinions. The way you interpret everything as "trying to make Ronaldo look bad" actually looks more like you are trying to "always make Ronaldo look good", well unless he has a problem with Real Madrid, then you suddenly start to see his flaws.

And not only you, I mean some here are even trashing the great SAF, just to make Ronaldo look good...

I don't like to use the word fanboys, but the Ronaldo fans need to calm down a bit.. Of course, since we're on a Man United forum, and in the Ronaldo thread, it's expected that the Ronaldo fans will outnumber anybody else here, but that doesn't mean that we should lose all objectivity, and start saying stupid things like:

The thing is, we get it, you don't like Ronaldo, neither does PL, yet both of you are constantly in here fishing for reactions.

Do you see me much in the messi thread calling him a fraude or anything else?

No, because I don't enter threads to cause discussions that make me want to tear my hair out. You guys seem to get a kick out of it.

Yesterday you've searched through my older posts to see what I said about Ronaldo before, do me a favour and compare the few posts I have in the Messi thread to yours ald PL's in here. You'll be seriously surprised... And please stop putting words in my mouth in some of your posts.

And sorry but I'm trying to make Ronaldo look good all the time?! That's a pretty cheap trick often used by people in the wrong; accuse the accuser. I don't know, but it's you who are trying to defend a senile twat that went out of line which most people clearly see, except coincidentally, two closet Barca fans.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
The thing is, we get it, you don't like Ronaldo, neither does PL, yet both of you are constantly in here fishing for reactions.

No, because I don't enter threads to cause discussions that make me want to tear my hair out. You guys seem to get a kick out of it.

Yesterday you've searched through my older posts to see what I sais about Ronaldo before, do me a favour and compare the few posts I have in the Messi thread to yours ald PL's in here. You'll be seriously surprised... And please stop putting words in my mouth in some of your posts.

And sorry but I'm trying to make Ronaldo look good all the time?! That's a pretty cheap trick often used by people in the wrong; accuse the accuser. I don't know, but it's you who are trying to defend a senile twat that went out of line which most people clearly see, except coincidentally, two closet Barca fans.
- You're wrong. I don't "don't like" Ronaldo. I don't like a few things about him, one of which him being a drama queen. Do you think I'm wrong?

- Why are we talking about Messi again? And, you're actually saying that you're no different. You seem to want to call Messi a fraude (and other stuff too apparently), but you're just afraid of getting into a discussion that makes you "want to tear your hair out", which is why you avoid it. IMO you should voice your opinion regardless, that's how you have a "debate", otherwise we'll just have two boring threads about Messi and Ronaldo, full of "Wow, Ronaldo is the GOAT, Wow Messi is the GOAT"...

- I didn't research your posts. That was your position about Ronaldo when he had problems with Real Madrid. We don't have many Madrid fans here, so your opinion about the whole situation was easy to remember..

- It's pointless when you start to repeat the same things over and over. "Defend Blatter"? You can read my previous post on this issue. And I'm not "accusing the accuser", I'm not "accusing you" of being a Madrid fan or a Ronaldo fan.. You are a Madrid fan. I don't know how a Madrid fan can claim to have a neutral unbiased view about an issue related to Ronaldo, and then call everybody else (who disagree with him) biased.. Also stop with this "closet" "fanboy" non-sense.. You're better than this.

SirAF

Ageist
On the collapsing at the end of the shootout thing. He said afterwards that he had thought that he'd cost us the match, and was feeling sick, and then suddenly we'd won, and he was the happiest he'd ever been - and it all just got to him. So he ended up laughing/crying on the grass thinking of his dad, and everything that had happened, and lost it for a bit. Sounded plausible, but who knows. I'm not sure he did.

This.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think less people agree with me, but there a few always see my point, it's a Man United forum so it will be understandably biased towards Ronaldo.
No one saying Ronaldo is better than Messi, Messi has been the best while Ronaldo has been the 2nd best, no one is questioning that. Both of them keep breaking record after record held by the past greats, no one can deny that, no matter how much you hate anyone of them. But to say Ronaldo being on the same level as Messi is being disrespectful to Messi, is way too over. Ronaldo may not match Messi success on club level yet, but he is the only player worthy of such comparison, even the most neutral fans would agree on that.

JaffyJoe

No one saying Ronaldo is better than Messi, Messi has been the best while Ronaldo has been the 2nd best, no one is questioning that. Both of them keep breaking record after record held by the past greats, no one can deny that, no matter how much you hate anyone of them. But to say Ronaldo being on the same level as Messi is being disrespectful to Messi, is way too over. Ronaldo may not match Messi success on club level yet, but he is the only player worthy of such comparison, even the most neutral fans would agree on that.

At no point have I not said Ronaldo is an amazing player. Many turn the discussion (not yourself) into this sad rhetoric about how tough things are at Madrid etc, he chose this path. He plays with world champions, world class players and the best coaches in the game. He could have left but he has decided to stay. They have a buying/spending power no other team in the game can match. I think he is the highest paid player in the world now too. Basically his life on and off the pitch is great.

The point was whether they are on the same level as players, I said I don't see it. There was crazy uproar apparently that meant I hated Ronaldo. Ronaldo cannot playmake like Messi and that is the reason I would say they are on different levels. Messi scores more than he does and that is his main asset and he has an ability to playmake and create which Ronaldo doesn't. Ronaldo is an amazing player Messi or no Messi, you would have to hate him not to see that, but the only reason people say he may be on Messi's level imo is because they are so far from the others. Neither would score like they do now 10-20 years ago, defending is AWFUL so I don't base my judgement solely on stats. It is what I see when I watch them. It is a personal preference I guess....

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
At no point have I not said Ronaldo is an amazing player. Many turn the discussion (not yourself) into this sad rhetoric about how tough things are at Madrid etc, he chose this path. He plays with world champions, world class players and the best coaches in the game. He could have left but he has decided to stay. They have a buying/spending power no other team in the game can match. I think he is the highest paid player in the world now too. Basically his life on and off the pitch is great.

The point was whether they are on the same level as players, I said I don't see it. There was crazy uproar apparently that meant I hated Ronaldo. Ronaldo cannot playmake like Messi and that is the reason I would say they are on different levels. Messi scores more than he does and that is his main asset and he has an ability to playmake and create which Ronaldo doesn't. Ronaldo is an amazing player Messi or no Messi, you would have to hate him not to see that, but the only reason people say he may be on Messi's level imo is because they are so far from the others. Neither would score like they do now 10-20 years ago, defending is AWFUL so I don't base my judgement solely on stats. It is what I see when I watch them. It is a personal preference I guess....

I agree with this on on all points. I made a reference about how Messi or Ronaldo could never be in the same league as Romario, Muller or Pele for scoring goals. Those records are too far away. However, your last point is a pretty fair one. I am certain that if they were in a certain Italian league in the 1980s, where they had the best defences in Europe, then they would probably be found wanting. I mean, Platini scored 103 goals in 200+ games for Juventus as an attacking midfielder, yet he was constantly up against some of the best defences Europe had to offer. Same thing applies to Maradona.

Cantona'sCollar

I love that video - sums him up perfectly! He's similar to Michael Jordan in that he feeds off slights (perceived or real) and is able to channel that into higher levels of performance. Jordan would actually sometimes invent/imagine slights against him to motivate him.

Remember that Nike video of him - "Your love makes me strong. Your hate makes me unstoppable" - not many players can say that. Think of Rooney when he played against Everton - the crowd would frequently get to him and render him less effective. Ronaldo, in the season after the World Cup, fed off the boos he was getting at every stadium.

Take a huge amount of focus to be able to do that.

Good post. I always say that he is my favourite (not the best, most talented nor the most entertaining, but my favourite) player ever, but for these reasons exactly - it's not the stepovers or the yellow boots, it is the way in which he rose to greatness. When you read about his life as a kid, the bullying, the poverty, everything, it just makes you happy that he's succeeded - no one can say that he doesn't deserve any of this. I agree completely about your 'slight' comment - Ronaldo fit in at United so well because he epitomized the 'us (or me, in his case) against the world' mentality, and that was clear to see after the whole World Cup debacle with Rooney, & the booing that followed for the seasons after. I do remember that Nike video of him, it was a fantastic ad - I believe it was made right after he won the Ballon D'or & FIFA WPOTY in 2008. There is a video somewhere on YouTube of the 2007 FIFA WPOTY ceremony (where Kaka won and Messi beat him to 2nd place) - you could see he was absolutely furious not to have been first, as if already unable to wait for next year's awards.

People criticize him so much, but he is the ultimate example to kids all over the world. You get what you put in - work hard, focus, channel negative energies well & you will reap the rewards.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

You miss the part where people say it is "disrepectful" to Messi when compare Ronaldo with him. Ronaldo is, and has always been his main rival. Yes he often comes out better at the end of season, but playing head on against each other, and over the season, Ronaldo has always been his biggest threat.

However you may classify players into general categories like 1. All time best, 2.Worldclass, 3.Topclass, 4.International class, 5.Decent, 6.Average, 7.Shit and 8.Amateur etc, then its fair to say they are in same level. If you wish to break it down more, yes you may say they are not same level, Messi could be in Pele, Maradona categories for best player ever, while Ronaldo may go with Cruyff, Di Stefano, Puskas, Platini, Zidane as 2nd tier in the all time best categories etc (although they are not quite there yet, but they both have such potential). You never heard people say it is disrespectful to Pele or Maradona when people say Di Stefano and Cruyff are on same level.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

Yesterday you've searched through my older posts to see what I sais about Ronaldo before, do me a favour and compare the few posts I have in the Messi thread to yours ald PL's in here. You'll be seriously surprised... And please stop putting words in my mouth in some of your posts.

Vato, Stop feeding a troll.

Brophs

The One and Only
Some of the things that make him an amazing footballer are probably the things that would make him an insufferable twat to have as a mate, but since none of us are likely to have to hang out with him probably best to just worry about the football, which he's not all that bad at.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Some of the things that make him an amazing footballer are probably the things that would make him an insufferable twat to have as a mate, but since none of us are likely to have to hang out with him probably best to just worry about the football, which he's not all that bad at.

I don't know about these days, but when he was living in Manchester he basically paid for his best mate to 'live the life' with him. Kind of like Vince and Turtle in Entourage.

Brophs

The One and Only
I don't know about these days, but when he was living in Manchester he basically paid for his best mate to 'live the life' with him. Kind of like Vince and Turtle in Entourage.
Well, Vince was an insufferable twat, no?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
When a player is as good as him, he can have a shitty attitude as my eyes he'll have earned. Ronaldo is far from being a real cnut and twat, he's player with "cnutish" moments. A pure cnut are guys like Barton, Balotelli, Pepe ....

Chabon

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...e-in-pursuit-of-greatness-at-Real-Madrid.html

If you accept the premise, which is a little stretched, then surely its his own fecking fault for deciding to leave one of the greatest club sides of recent decades to join the circus at Madrid? If he were a more reflective type then I imagine later in life he might sometimes forget all the personal achievements in Spain and ponder what he would have done had he stayed where he belonged. I doubt the lad is one for regret, but I'm certain everyone else will come to recognise his move was a sizeable mistake in time.

JaffyJoe

You miss the part where people say it is "disrepectful" to Messi when compare Ronaldo with him. Ronaldo is, and has always been his main rival. Yes he often comes out better at the end of season, but playing head on against each other, and over the season, Ronaldo has always been his biggest threat.

However you may classify players into general categories like 1. All time best, 2.Worldclass, 3.Topclass, 4.International class, 5.Decent, 6.Average, 7.Shit and 8.Amateur etc, then its fair to say they are in same level. If you wish to break it down more, yes you may say they are not same level, Messi could be in Pele, Maradona categories for best player ever, while Ronaldo may go with Cruyff, Di Stefano, Puskas, Platini, Zidane as 2nd tier in the all time best categories etc (although they are not quite there yet, but they both have such potential). You never heard people say it is disrespectful to Pele or Maradona when people say Di Stefano and Cruyff are on same level.

All fair points, bit your debating with me about something I didn't say. I did not call it disrespectful to Messi, I SAID due to Messi's superior playmaking ability they are not on the same level. Ronaldo is chasing Messi, Messi is chasing past legends.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
When he's retired he'll sadly be remembered in time by the majority as a Real Madrid legend as opposed to a United one. He'll be up there alongside the likes of Puskas, Di Stefano, Gento & Raul.

JaffyJoe

When he's retired he'll sadly be remembered in time by the majority as a Real Madrid legend as opposed to a United one. He'll be up there alongside the likes of Puskas, Di Stefano, Gento & Raul.

Yeah unfortunately. He just needs to win a few more major trophies he may have Raul's all time record in the back of his mind. He's roughly 100 goals behind him. He should finish with another 30 more this season and then he has 4-5 years to get 70 goals for them. Crazy.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Yup. The guys who with the serious bitterness and bias issues tend to wrack up posts in threads of the player/team they have those issues with/towards. And everyone knows who they are because that's all they do in those threads as well.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Yup. The guys who with the serious bitterness and bias issues tend to wrack up posts in threads of the player/team they have those issues with/towards. And everyone knows who they are because that's all they do in those threads as well.
Yeah, I actually don't know why I bother. It's pretty clear why some posters keep frequenting this thread. I wish you could use the ignore function for threads of your choice.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Say he had have come back to us, do we think he'd score 55-60 a season as he does currently in Spain? Somehow I just can't imagine someone scoring that many season after season in this country.

I know he scored 42 in 07-08 but I can't remember when someone last scored over 50 in England.

Moby

Dick
I agree with this on on all points. I made a reference about how Messi or Ronaldo could never be in the same league as Romario, Muller or Pele for scoring goals. Those records are too far away. However, your last point is a pretty fair one. I am certain that if they were in a certain Italian league in the 1980s, where they had the best defences in Europe, then they would probably be found wanting. I mean, Platini scored 103 goals in 200+ games for Juventus as an attacking midfielder, yet he was constantly up against some of the best defences Europe had to offer. Same thing applies to Maradona.
It is tricky to compare different eras.

Zico for example scored for fun in Serie A while playing for a team like Udinese. Obviously both messi's and Ronaldo's goal count would have gone down, but I'd say that would be more down to lenient refs back then than quality of defenders. The type of challenges that the defenders could get away with was insane. If you apply modern rules, a lot of those defenders would be rendered liabilities. And btw Maradona wasn't a main goalscorer for Napoli.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut

You call it "bitterness", or "bias issues"? Are you for real. This debate has gone on for years and years and to be honest, if you cannot accept our views on a player that has long since gone from our club, then you have serious issues. I have made numerous posts saying that Ronaldo is a great footballer and he scored amazing goals, as well as bucketloads to boot, but then I would have to say that the other one has been doing even more and broken records galore. Now, I have recently gone on record stating that whilst we are witnessing two of the greatest "modern-day footballers", and when I mean modern-day, I would have to say within the last 20 years, they cannot be compared to the likes of Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Gento, Puskas, Muller et al. These are all club and national team legends. So, I will say it again, they are both (please read this part carefully since it is very important) amazingly brilliant MODERN DAY players.

The fact that you and the others are only capable of insults or trying to belittle other posters i.e. Danny1982 or others who don't share you particular views smacks of arrogance of the highest order and I can see why you are a Ronaldo fan, birds of a feather and all that...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.