Cristiano Ronaldo - performances 2017/18

Fact of the matter is his lack of goals in the first half of the season was inexplicable. It's not like he was playing badly and not getting into good positions and not getting good chances. He just kept missing them for some reason

Because math rules the universe and we're not exception to that, that run and this one are just absurd variance peaks.

I know it sounds stupid or "cold", but everyone who watched those games knows that what happened vs Betis for example wasn't normal, even if he randomly transformed into a cone when the ball came to him some of those chances would go in. As long as he kept doing things right (and that was the tricky part, not letting those misses let him down) he was bound to return scoring buckets.

Is there any doubt that he is the GOAT any more?

Man I am on the Ronaldo side of the debate but you have to chill! Amazing day for him but who in their right minds will decide "Ah, I was wrong. This lad scored 4 goals he is better". You ask this question at more appropriate times.

Like the euro 2016 ;)

Every season it's the same. Every season I imagine Rooney looks back and remembers when he had the same promise, one was an ultra professional and has dominated world football, the other let his body go to pot and now plays for Big Sam.

Rooney had a very good career. It's not his fault Ronaldo is a freak of nature. Naturally, Ronaldo always had more talent as well.

What the feck are you talking about?

Cal- I don’t like people who state their opinions as facts

Also cal- “surely now there’s no debate as to him being the GOAT” <— as close to stating your opinion as fact as it gets

More cal- I don’t engage in childish name calling

You engage in talking utter tripe at times that’s for sure.
Maybe you shouldn’t try to change my quote since it’s on the very same page, adding a ‘surely’ make it sound a lot more stating a fact than what I said.
Is there any doubt that he is the GOAT any more?
Also, what I was getting at, is I have never said something along the lines ‘if you don’t agree with me you’re an idiot’ which that lot say all the time.

Furthermore I do rate the guy, whereas that lot post the most ridiculous views like fat Ronaldo was better, Cristiano isn’t even in the top 10, etc.

Didn't watch the game, was it his best performance this season? After all 4 goals, 1 assist and received a 10 at Who Scored.
Mh, not sure. Off the top of my head Alaves and Sevilla i think were better. Maybe Betis as well

Maybe this 442 (with Asensio on the left) and he more at the center is good for him (now I do not remember very well if we played like that months ago).
I had many doubts about his ability to be 9, in any case, it can not happen again, we can´t be with la liga lost in November.
Next year Neymar will contribute with 25/30 goals so he will not have so much pressure :D
I love Casemito to bits but it's clear that both the team and Zidane are more comfortable with this setup with Lucas and Asensio rotating between positions

Looks nailed on to have another 45 goal season (at a goal a game rate). Despite barely scoring in the league for half a season he now sits in 2nd in the pichichi with by far the best goals per minutes ratio. He’s 33! Total freak of nature.

Has any player aged 33 or over ever scored 35+ goals all competitions playing in one of the big European leagues?

Edit: hmm Zlatan doh! Does France really count though?

What a fearsome goalscorer he is. 37 goals in 35 games yet he's 'finished' apparently. Can keep going for another 3/4 years without a doubt.

Has any player aged 33 or over ever scored 35+ goals all competitions playing in one of the big European leagues?

Edit: hmm Zlatan doh! Does France really count though?

Real Madrid won La Liga last year with 106 goals scored. Monaco won Ligue 1 with 107 goals scored.
Barca in second had 116 scored. PSG in second had 83 scored.

Not saying the standard in La Liga isn't higher overall, but it's a similar stomp for the big two teams in terms of goals scored.

Barcelona lost 12 points all season, Madrid lost 7 just in games where he wasn't playing. You weren't winning this league no matter how he paced his goals with the form most of the squad started the season and with Barcelona being in great form. Could have been closer and maybe still in somewhat of a fight but you'd fall short anyway.

He scored 16 goals in 22 games from the start fo the season until January so he was still scoring, they just weren't in the league.

I do think he's right about the pace of the goals and how it would had impacted an hypothetical run for the title. No matter how many points they lose throughout the season but the atrocious start was what fecked us big time. Some people thought it was too early to give up since around November but I knew we weren't going to win as that's how things go in La Liga if Real Madrid isn't putting pressure on Barcelona and vice versa.

Ronaldo wasn't playing bad at the beginning but he wasn't finishing but maybe you're right as a lot of things were piling up very early against us. I also think the team was left too thin and after the last two seasons it was bound to happen to players need a rest and drop of their level.

Hopefully Ronaldo can keep up like this for a few more seasons, I don't mind if it takes him half a season to be in god mode but I would like to have someone that can do the job in the first half of the season.

Crazy that he is actually 7 months older than Rooney.

Rooney turned shite like 2 years ago and this guy is still the best scorer in the world at 33. Honestly, Rooney must regret some things in his life.

Back to his top scorer throne in Europe and best goal per game ratio again. 37 goals in 35 games, there’s no one better than him in terms of scoring goals this season. Not even Messi, Kane or Salah.

He's like the ultimate footballer in terms of being a professional and I know how he does it or why he has so much drive and hunger to keep himself at this level after all this years.

4 goals against Girona and 'Is there any doubt that he is the GOAT any more?' :lol:

anyways, apart from the fanatical Ronaldo cult, the guy is having a great 2nd half of the season. even as a barca fan you have to admire his dedication, 33 and he's still hungry for more.

Reactions: Fortitude

Rooney turned shite like 2 years ago and this guy is still the best scorer in the world at 33. Honestly, Rooney must regret some things in his life.

What's crazier is that I honestly feel that Rooney was the more 'natural' talent. However Ronnie propelled himself to an unreal level that Rooney never made.

Back to his top scorer throne in Europe and best goal per game ratio again. 37 goals in 35 games, there’s no one better than him in terms of scoring goals this season. Not even Messi, Kane or Salah.

He's the best goalscorer of all time however, and I love Ronnie, his overall game is miles behind Messi. It shouldn't even be an argument. It's clear to the naked eye that Messi is the better of the 2 and aside from stats it's not even that close.

He's the best goalscorer of all time however, and I love Ronnie, his overall game is miles behind Messi. It shouldn't even be an argument. It's clear to the naked eye that Messi is the better of the 2 and aside from stats it's not even that close.

I don't know about that, Ronaldo is a good all round footballer and versatile player who has been able to thrive in different teams, leagues and also for his country in different circumstances and reinventing himself time and time again. So to me his overall game is top class as an attack player.

Let’s not get this into another endless Messi vs Ronaldo debate here. Ronaldo is the best goalscorer so far this season, and that’s a fact not opinion. Regarding who is the best player opinion-wise, there’s another thread dedicated about it.

Rooney should have won at least one ballon'd or. I remember in 2004-05 and 2005-06 Ronaldo was still not world class although a very good winger and Rooney was producing world class performances every week despite Ronaldo having arrived at United one season earlier than him. I still can't believe he left us at only 31 but Ronaldo really turned his body into something incredible, even Messi hasn't got that much strenght in his body.

Sometimes when reading posts, I try to think what I’d say if they said it in real life and it’s hard to bite the tongue.
Both in real life and here, I find it more annoying when hipster football connoisseurs declare that there's no competition and Messi is clearly the better the player for anyone who understands football.

Furthermore I do rate the guy, whereas that lot post the most ridiculous views like fat Ronaldo was better, Cristiano isn’t even in the top 10, etc.

The 'fat Ronaldo' was better stuff mainly stems from the fact that a lot of, or possibly most, sports fans tend to remember what a particular sports person was like in their prime as opposed to over the breadth of their career. This shouldn't be surprising I suppose given that it's this 'prime period'; showcasing what a player was like at his peak which probably leaves the strongest impression in the mind.

With 'fat Ronaldo' there's also this 'what could've been' element which enhances the memory and gives it a wistful quality since we never actually saw him at his peak.

Reactions: crappycraperson
The 'fat Ronaldo' was better stuff mainly stems from the fact that a lot of, or possibly most, sports fans tend to remember what a particular sports person was like in their prime as opposed to over the breadth of their career. This shouldn't be surprising I suppose given that it's this 'prime period'; showcasing what a player was like at his peak which probably leaves the strongest impression in the mind.

With 'fat Ronaldo' there's also this 'what could've been' element which enhances the memory and gives it a wistful quality since we never actually saw him at his peak.
Thank you for saying this. People want to convince me that a guy who was injured half of his career and played two full seasons at an all time all star level, is better than a guy who has given me 10 seasons of that same quality. He may not be greater than Messi, but aside from him, I legitimately don't think anyone else who can be measured is greater.

F7_ADE8_BD_C46_E_41_ED_8_BE9_5_D98477_DD7_C7.jpg

How has he made this so normal?

I don't know about that, Ronaldo is a good all round footballer and versatile player who has been able to thrive in different teams, leagues and also for his country in different circumstances and reinventing himself time and time again. So to me his overall game is top class as an attack player.

He’s been quite poor in the World Cup and didn’t even play in the euro final and his team didn’t even need him to win. He deserves credit for getting them there but it really showed how good Portugal were even with it him.

He’s a poacher and a good one, but that’s as far as it goes. He really needs elite service as when his midfield suffers he can’t do much by himself

Rooney had a very good career. It's not his fault Ronaldo is a freak of nature. Naturally, Ronaldo always had more talent as well.

Yh not saying Rooney had a poor career - by normal standards he's an immensely success footballer.

I'm more making the point that at one time he was at a similar level and, although different players, it shows how important the non natural talent part of the game is. Fitness, discipline, diet, gym work - I'd bet Ronaldo is still unbelievably strict on all of these. I don't know how you'd measure 'talent' but I'd say Rooney was the more naturally gifted player when he was younger although both obviously were phenomenal talents.

Every season Ronaldo lulls the world into a false sense of security by starting slow and allows the other strikers to get ahead. Then he just blitzes the 2nd half of the season like some monster. No one is ready to take his goal scoring crown just yet.

Yh not saying Rooney had a poor career - by normal standards he's an immensely success footballer.

I'm more making the point that at one time he was at a similar level and, although different players, it shows how important the non natural talent part of the game is. Fitness, discipline, diet, gym work - I'd bet Ronaldo is still unbelievably strict on all of these. I don't know how you'd measure 'talent' but I'd say Rooney was the more naturally gifted player when he was younger although both obviously were phenomenal talents.

Yes but I think some things were not under Rooney's control. I think Ronaldo naturally has very good genetics upon which he has built a fantastic body. This idea that Rooney isn't/wasn't a hard worker seems a bit odd to me. You can't compare his hard work to Ronaldo but think of other top players like Di Maria or Toure or even Fabregas. Quality aside, Rooney has always given 100% on the pitch especially in his younger days would work really hard.

Although both were at a similar level early on I just think physically Ronaldo always had an edge. I do get your point though. Rooney easily could have been up there as well.

He was poor in the World Cup because he was playing despite being injured and playing those games completely fecked his knees forever. He was still our best player by far. His poor record in the World Cup is still the only thing that's not up to standard about his career and he'll have the summer to make things right.

We were completely outplayed in the final and deserved to lose by 2 or 3 goals, did you even watch the game? We aren't good without him, hence why the 2 games we played without him we lost 2-0 away in Switzerland and we were about to throw our qualification for the WC away against Andorra after not being able to break them down for 60 minutes. Yes, Andorra... we could have been there for 900 minutes and we wouldn't have scored until he came on the pitch.

He's not a poacher, a poacher is someone that poaches goals and does nothing else, a poacher is not someone that poaches a lot of goals because most great goalscorers do that. If he's a poacher, are Harry Kane and Griezmann poachers too? "He’s a poacher and a good one, but that’s as far as it goes." I mean, you can't be serious.

He's scoring 1 goal per game in the Fernando Santos era with literally 0 attacking system at all. Our attacking system is crossing a lot and hoping the ball goes to Cristiano inside the box. He doesn't need elite service and most poachers don't need elite service either, don't know how you got that into your head. Look at Icardi who is actually a poacher, look at Inter playing without Icardi and Inter playing with Icardi... do you think Icardi is benefitting from Inter's elite service or is Icardi that makes the service look good?

I absolutely see Ronaldo as a poacher, and considering his age and his need to compensate for that as he's gotten older he has done very well in that regard.

However, take a look at the average heat map for Ronaldo:

V2AZCLv
V2AZCLv

Griezmann:

AaOKt9e
AaOKt9e

Give the ball to Ronaldo on the pitch and he can't do very much. He can't dribble anymore so he's left to hang out inside the box and using his great sense of off the ball movement pounce on the right opportunity to score. It's the same reason why Ronaldo can often be a ghost for 80 minutes a game but still come away with a goal or two. It is what it is, but as he gets older and older he plays closer and closer to goal.

I absolutely see Ronaldo as a poacher, and considering his age and his need to compensate for that as he's gotten older he has done very well in that regard.

V2AZCLv
V2AZCLv

Griezmann:

AaOKt9e
AaOKt9e

Give the ball to Ronaldo on the pitch and he can't do very much. He can't dribble anymore so he's left to hang out inside the box and using his great sense of off the ball movement pounce on the right opportunity to score. It's the same reason why Ronaldo can often be a ghost for 80 minutes a game but still come away with a goal or two. It is what it is, but as he gets older and older he plays closer and closer to goal.

That heat map for Ronaldo is obviously fake ffs. You can't actually be serious... :lol:

The fact that someone was willing to waste their time doing that says it all.

He doesn't dribble past players as much, that doesn't make him a poacher. He still creates chances for his teammates at a high enough level, his hold up play is good, he drives the team forward and he spends a lot of time on both wings

Last edited:
He is incredible, I haven't being following his performances as much week in, week out in La Liga this year but from what many were calling a sub par season, he now has 37 goals in 34 games. He is absolute animal and his mental strength is to my mind second to none.

He has certainly adapted his game with age but he and Madrid are hitting form at the right time of the year for the CL yet again, and he appears to be doing it in the big games over the last few years, something he was criticised for earlier in his career.

Thank you for saying this. People want to convince me that a guy who was injured half of his career and played two full seasons at an all time all star level, is better than a guy who has given me 10 seasons of that same quality. He may not be greater than Messi, but aside from him, I legitimately don't think anyone else who can be measured is greater.

That's fine. I suppose the issue here is that what 'fat Ronaldo' showed, ability wise, before injury curtailed his career was superior to anything that C Ronaldo has shown during his career.

His ability was of a higher level and that matters to a lot of people.

V2AZCLv
V2AZCLv

Griezmann:

AaOKt9e
AaOKt9e

This is ridiculous. He was dribbling past players against PSG btw. That heat map is a joke for sure. Also, if he is a "poacher" how does he have so many assists.

That's fine. I suppose the issue here is that what 'fat Ronaldo' showed, before injury curtailed his career, was superior to anything the C Ronaldo has shown during his career. His ability was of a higher level and that matters to many people.

Nonsense. C.Ronaldo is a better goal scorer and more.

Not as pretty as picking the ball up and going past players but he creates chances for himself too.