Cristiano Ronaldo - performances 2017/18

Drogba, Torres, Bonucci, etc. from a quick search but why would you even know or care about that? :lol:

I think the love for Benzema is starting to make sense. It's the third time I'm asking you but which team do you support?

Really, any sources? Saying 'from a quick search' ain't enough.

It's just a genuine question and nothing else, don't see how that's a problem...

Since you're apparently desperate to know about it, I don't really have a favorite club.

@Acheron

You haven't answered my question tho...

Again, I want to know on how many of his peers/coaches have said that Cristiano is the best footballer they have seen or played against.

Only thing I managed to find, who doesn't have any connection with Portugal/United/Madrid, was Leonardo Bonucci.

Would be great if anyone could find more.

Well I don't keep track of that but that's something very specific thing you're asking and I'm not sure what's your point. I was just trying to prove you he is very rated by the public (footballers and journalist included) outside of places like Portugal, Spain and England and maybe that voting wasn't about the "best player I've ever seen or played against " but it was to decide the best footballer that year.

Really, any sources? Saying 'from a quick search' ain't enough.

It's just a genuine question and nothing else, don't see how that's a problem...

Since you're apparently desperate to know about it, I don't really have a favorite club.

You also didn't provide any sources.. and you can look for them yourself. Why ask here?

It's such a weird question that's obviously not geniune at all and has a clear bias behind it, how would anyone even know or care about something as meaningless as that? The fact you know by fact which players said good things about Messi is truly incredible for someone with no club or bias, that's all. That coupled with your Benzema posts it just made me curious to know which club you supported since you'd avoided my question twice already.

I think you might be the only person on redcafe who supports no football club, how is that even possible?

Ronaldo pisses off a lot of people is about the gist of it. If it's true or not, it doesn't matter, I'm guessing a Barcelona fan made that, posted it on twitter, thousands started spreading it and I'm hoping @Daysleeper brought it to redcafe without understanding it's obviously inaccurate.

At least that one was obviously fake, it's usually not the case.

I found it on twitter and let me show you the source, if I had known it was fake I honestly would not have posted it.
Here is the source:

https://mobile.twitter.com/fraudiesta1/status/870341461895598080

An incredible goalscorer. Anyone who disputes that is crazy.

Not necessarily a joy to watch anymore. I feel as if that Ronaldo who got me off my seat finished a few years ago. But it's still incredibly impressive/admiring to see how he finds the space in the box and his movement to knock those balls in the net.

Genuinely feel that next season he'll become their #9 who drifts out to the wing every now and again.

Even though I'm firmly in the Messi being the greatest camp, and that I'm sometimes disturbed when someone says Ronaldo is the better football player, I'm thrilled to be able to watch this era in which he's playing. Has become such a clutch player for Madrid - might be invisible for majority of the game but comes good in moments when they need him.
If Utd has a player who only does what Ronaldo does, he will be a joy to watch.

But then again, our fans will continue to complain.

If Utd has a player who only does what Ronaldo does, he will be a joy to watch.

But then again, our fans will continue to complain.

Not necessarily. Watching someone score many, many goals doesn't equate to "being a joy to watch".

It would be a different matter if the goals are of a sublime caliber.

If we had a player like Ronaldo, a goal scoring machine, he'd be an absolute joy to have in your team WHEN he's scoring. I don't think it's an unfair statement to make when saying that when he isn't scoring and having a stinker of a match, as he was during the first half of the season, he's not the best player to have in your team.

Not necessarily. Watching someone score many, many goals doesn't equate to "being a joy to watch".

It would be a different matter if the goals are of a sublime caliber.

If we had a player like Ronaldo, a goal scoring machine, he'd be an absolute joy to have in your team WHEN he's scoring. I don't think it's an unfair statement to make when saying that when he isn't scoring and having a stinker of a match, as he was during the first half of the season, he's not the best player to have in your team.

Except Ronaldo scores some incredible goals if you understand the finishing aspect of it and how he created those goals/spaces for himself out of nothing.

Except Ronaldo scores some incredible goals if you understand the finishing aspect of it and how he created those goals/spaces for himself out of nothing.

Disagree, ronaldo is a great scorer but very very rarely do you nod your head in amazement at his goals. He’s very fundamental and gets the job done, but if you look at highlights of his goals this season 80% of them would feel very run of the mill.

No doubt he will still finishe La Liga's and the CL's top scorer again this season which should give him a good chance for the next Ballon d'Or.

There will be mass suicide if he wins next one too.

Disagree, ronaldo is a great scorer but very very rarely do you nod your head in amazement at his goals. He’s very fundamental and gets the job done, but if you look at highlights of his goals this season 80% of them would feel very run of the mill.

I think what you miss about Ronaldo is everything he does before banging that goal in. His movement, his positioning, his complete control of space around him, his intelligence, his hunger. It's all pure genius and a joy to watch for me. But I guess I am old school as far as football is concerned. These days, fans just love to see flicks, turns, fancy dribbles, and Pogba-esque has dropping passes. I have nothing against those. I absolutely love them but there is much more to football.

I absolutely see Ronaldo as a poacher, and considering his age and his need to compensate for that as he's gotten older he has done very well in that regard.

However, take a look at the average heat map for Ronaldo:

V2AZCLv
V2AZCLv

Griezmann:

AaOKt9e
AaOKt9e

Give the ball to Ronaldo on the pitch and he can't do very much. He can't dribble anymore so he's left to hang out inside the box and using his great sense of off the ball movement pounce on the right opportunity to score. It's the same reason why Ronaldo can often be a ghost for 80 minutes a game but still come away with a goal or two. It is what it is, but as he gets older and older he plays closer and closer to goal.

Where did you get that heat map from? Looks clearly fake and something that troll account on twitter posts.

Checked his heat map till PSG game and not a single heat map supports the heat map posted by you.

That's if you don't understand how he creates those goals. Watch full games and you will see. There is a reason he scored 2-3 goals like it's nothing and it's not because he has the chance to put away 50 tap ins a game. He creates those goals with perfectly predicting runs in the right place and thinking 3-4 steps ahead of defenders. It is absolutely beautiful to watch how leaves the defense clueless despite scoring the exact same way a billion times before.

That's if you don't understand how he creates those goals. Watch full games and you will see. There is a reason he scored 2-3 goals like it's nothing and it's not because he has the chance to put away 50 tap ins a game. He creates those goals with perfectly predicting runs in the right place and thinking 3-4 steps ahead of defenders. It is absolutely beautiful to watch how leaves the defense clueless despite scoring the exact same way a billion times before.

Have you seen him play live?

No doubt he will still finishe La Liga's and the CL's top scorer again this season which should give him a good chance for the next Ballon d'Or.

If he wins CL for the third straight time it’ll boost his chances but being top scorer won’t be enough

Have you seen him play live?
I did. Visually there's no comparison between now and 5 years ago. From an entertainment perspective he's no longer anything particularly special

And he *is* declining in general. He's not as good as he was in 14/15 and he's certainly not as good as he was between 2009/10 and 2013/14

Anyone who doesn't think he's in decline is disregarding the fact that he's 33 so naturally he's not going to be as good as he was.

Anyone saying he isn't good to watch and isn't impressive though wants to give their head a wobble.

If he wins CL for the third straight time it’ll boost his chances but being top scorer won’t be enough
Last year called buddy.
If Madrid threepeat it'll be an historic achievement that will be rewarded as such.
Rightly or wrongly

Unfortunately not.

Honestly, his movement is nothing spectacular and watching from the stands is where you can fully appreciate that. His first Touch is absolutely unreal though, and again when you see it up close it’s more noticeable.

Honestly, his movement is nothing spectacular and watching from the stands is where you can fully appreciate that. His first Touch is absolutely unreal though, and again when you see it up close it’s more noticeable.

But movement to finish/create goals is not what you need to be live for. His movement is amazing from that aspect. Just that last few strides/steps to read the game. Look at Harry Kane. He has a similar talent in how he just knows where to go.

But movement to finish/create goals is not what you need to be live for. His movement is amazing from that aspect. Just that last few strides/steps to read the game. Look at Harry Kane. He has a similar talent in how he just knows where to go.

You underestimate the impact that 4 full days of training every single week does. He knows where to go because his teammates are good enough to replicate in games what they do in practice. Of all the things that need to be seen live to be fully appreciated, a footballers movement is probably top of the pile. It’s why match day going Man Utd fans liked Javier Hernandez and Henrik Larsson so much, both of whos natural movement abilities are far superior to Ronaldo.

I absolutely see Ronaldo as a poacher, and considering his age and his need to compensate for that as he's gotten older he has done very well in that regard.

V2AZCLv
V2AZCLv

Don't tell me you really believe in this shite man :lol:

This is 100% fake, just use your common sense, any player with that kind of heat map on the opponent half would be blown offside like 1000 times in a match :lol:

Its more like a heat map for a keeper, seriously :lol:

Last year called buddy.
If Madrid threepeat it'll be an historic achievement that will be rewarded as such.
Rightly or wrongly

Did you not read my post correctly? I said if he wins CL it’ll boost his chances but if he doesn’t win CL madrid’s terrible performance in La Liga is going to hurt his chances. His ballon d’or chances will be heavily swayed by whether or not real win three straight

What are you trying to achieve with such an obviously fake heatmap? Humour?

The lengths people go in downplaying the ability/achievements of players they don't like will never cease to amaze me!

You underestimate the impact that 4 full days of training every single week does. He knows where to go because his teammates are good enough to replicate in games what they do in practice. Of all the things that need to be seen live to be fully appreciated, a footballers movement is probably top of the pile. It’s why match day going Man Utd fans liked Javier Hernandez and Henrik Larsson so much, both of whos natural movement abilities are far superior to Ronaldo.

Overall movement is something else. I agree with that point (and going live to a game is what flipped me about Lingard. He is really good at it) but again you are confusing the movement I am talking about.

Maybe you are talking about runs and off the ball stuff. I am talking about the final third/reading of the game and knowing where to be. Sometimes that involves no movement at all and to me Hernandez and Larsson are no where near Ronaldo with that sort of movement. Like I said before, Kane can be compared to Ronaldo in that final third/reading of the game.

His pace and elevation, combined with his ability to understand where the ball is going to go in advance are spectacular. Sometimes you can see his goal coming just from his initial movement, and live it's really impressive to see. But it happens 2-4 times per game and it's pretty much the only times he gets you off your seat nowadays. Modric and Marcelo are waaaay more fun to watch, as well as Isco when he's ON.

About his first touch. I mean it is great, impressive the first time you see it, but it takes about 15 minutes to realize it isn't anything special for real madrid - most of his teammates's is just as impressive

Few years ago though there were several times were he'd pick the ball up in midfield and really get everyone off his seat. Him and Di Maria were electric, always could do something amazing with the ball

I miss that :(

It looks to me like it might be a heat map of where he scores his goals.

I thought it might have been where he takes shots or gets assists from.

But then I read:

I found it on twitter and let me show you the source, if I had known it was fake I honestly would not have posted it.
Here is the source:

https://mobile.twitter.com/fraudiesta1/status/870341461895598080

You posted a heat map from a random Twitter account called Fraudiesta1?
:lol:

I thought it might have been where he takes shots or gets assists from.

But then I read:

You posted a heat map from a random Twitter account called Fraudiesta1?
:lol:

:lol: I know it was stupid I was just googling ronaldo heat maps and that’s what came up

His pace and elevation, combined with his ability to understand where the ball is going to go in advance are spectacular. Sometimes you can see his goal coming just from his initial movement, and live it's really impressive to see. But it happens 2-4 times per game and it's pretty much the only times he gets you off your seat nowadays. Modric and Marcelo are waaaay more fun to watch, as well as Isco when he's ON.

About his first touch. I mean it is great, impressive the first time you see it, but it takes about 15 minutes to realize it isn't anything special for real madrid - most of his teammates's is just as impressive

Few years ago though there were several times were he'd pick the ball up in midfield and really get everyone off his seat. Him and Di Maria were electric, always could do something amazing with the ball

I miss that :(

Yeah I’ve seen him many times (for both Utd and real) and there really is no comparison now in terms of how excited he got you. Last time was a few years back but he was still noticeably more reserved and focussed as opposed to “entertaining”.

Is he ever going to decline? :lol:

You have to remove the logic of “what you know” in his case. He’s beaten so many records, shattered so many statistics and is probably pound for pound one of the healthiest athletes in the world. There is no age that you can definitively say he’ll be finished by, because he lives in the best era imaginable to be a peak performing athlete. There is absolutely ZERO reason why he can’t keep up this level for 5 More years, As long as his motivation stays. Ronaldo is pretty much a next stage of evolution.

His movement in and around the box is out of this world. Watch him then watch any othet striker. Night and day difference

His movement in and around the box is out of this world. Watch him then watch any othet striker. Night and day difference

I think Suarez has better movement, his ability to drag defenders away if uncanny.

Not to say Ronaldo isn’t immense in the box