Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

Ighalo > Ronaldo. It’s almost sad but true. I think ETH can rest assured now knowing that whatever Ronaldo does in that league isn’t going to haunt him.

Ighalo > Ronaldo. It’s almost sad but true. I think ETH can rest assured now knowing that whatever Ronaldo does in that league isn’t going to haunt him.

Ronaldo could have scored a hat trick every game and ten hag could rest easy, it's Saudi Arabia, it's not going to haunt ten hag. Ighalo would probably have been better than weghorst tbh, I can't imagine anyone being poorer than him

Ronaldo = The Cincinnati Kid

Messi = Edward G Robinson

Must be tough to always be in someone else's shadow.....

Yeah, staying at Madrid would have hugely benefited him, they'd have likely gotten past ajax in the champions league with him and had a decent chance at 4 champions leagues in a row. It was stupid for perez to basically prefer Bale over Ronaldo, and it was stupid for Ronaldo to waste the last years of his peak at juventus over money, particularly when you look at the amount he's earning in Saudi Arabia now

Nah, Perez was smart for not giving in to Ronaldo’s wage demands. Wasn’t long after he left they won another CL and just as many league titles as when he was there.

Nah, Perez was smart for not giving in to Ronaldo’s wage demands. Wasn’t long after he left they won another CL and just as many league titles as when he was there.
Given how good he was for Juve his first 2 seasons, it‘s possible they‘d have won 1 or 2 more with him and Zidane… Perez spent more money on useless Hazard and on paying the wages of a washed up unmotivated Bale…

4 years after is quite a while and as mentioned above any money saved from Ronaldo's wages were absolutely wasted on hazard. They'd won 3 champions leagues in a row, made 8 semi finals in a row with Ronaldo in the team, then got knocked out at the last 16 the first season without him.

A more cynical man than myself would note the season Ronaldo left was the same year Barca stopped paying the refs, so maybe that was a factor in doing better in the league

4 years after is quite a while and as mentioned above any money saved from Ronaldo's wages were absolutely wasted on hazard. They'd won 3 champions leagues in a row, made 8 semi finals in a row with Ronaldo in the team, then got knocked out at the last 16 the first season without him.

A more cynical man than myself would note the season Ronaldo left was the same year Barca stopped paying the refs, so maybe that was a factor in doing better in the league
:lol: How do you love him so much after the way he treated United?

Juve were also knocked out by Ajax with Ronaldo in their team. Ronaldo typically overestimated himself thinking he could carry them to the UCL. Instead they kept being knocked out by minnows.

Juve were also knocked out by Ajax with Ronaldo in their team. Ronaldo typically overestimated himself thinking he could carry them to the UCL. Instead they kept being knocked out by minnows.

Yeah, I know they were, that's why I said it was probably best for both parties if Ronaldo stayed at Madrid. He couldn't take juve single handedly to the CL but at Madrid they still had a sufficiently strong team.

And it's because his first spell here has enough good memories that it's not tarnished by how he left at the age of 38. His son had died like 6 months before, and he was having to deal with suddenly not being able to play football at the same level he had for the previous 2 decades, some stupid behaviour isn't enough to tarnish it, just like I still regard van nistelrooy highly despite some stupid comments towards Ronaldo, or keane despite his interview that was in a very similar vein, or Rooney for trying to join city when we actually title rivals to them. Players that have provided great memories watching this club have a lot of credit in the bank

Yeah, I know they were, that's why I said it was probably best for both parties if Ronaldo stayed at Madrid. He couldn't take juve single handedly to the CL but at Madrid they still had a sufficiently strong team.

And it's because his first spell here has enough good memories that it's not tarnished by how he left at the age of 38. His son had died like 6 months before, and he was having to deal with suddenly not being able to play football at the same level he had for the previous 2 decades, some stupid behaviour isn't enough to tarnish it, just like I still regard van nistelrooy highly despite some stupid comments towards Ronaldo, or keane despite his interview that was in a very similar vein, or Rooney for trying to join city when we actually title rivals to them. Players that have provided great memories watching this club have a lot of credit in the bank
Given Benzema's output in the last few seasons, Real Madrid's continuing success after a season of adjustment, the fact that the spine of the team is the same and Ronaldo's lack of success post Madrid, I'd argue that he benefited more from playing for them than vice versa. Ronaldo's allround game was rapidly deteriorating in his last 3 seasons and he was pretty much a poacher who contributed little else.

None of Keane, Rooney or Ruud treated United the way he did. Keane was frustrated with the lack of success; he was passionate but crossed the line. Ruud was frustrated with Ronaldo because of his brainless football in the early years. As a striker, he suffered from lack of service. Rooney felt the club was not headed in the right direction which he was proven right about and as much as ot was wrong for him to want to join City, he never went to the lengths that Ronaldo did.

Given Benzema's output in the last few seasons, Real Madrid's continuing success after a season of adjustment, the fact that the spine of the team is the same and Ronaldo's lack of success post Madrid, I'd argue that he benefited more from playing for them than vice versa. Ronaldo's allround game was rapidly deteriorating in his last 3 seasons and he was pretty much a poacher who contributed little else.

None of Keane, Rooney or Ruud treated United the way he did. Keane was frustrated with the lack of success; he was passionate but crossed the line. Ruud was frustrated with Ronaldo because of his brainless football in the early years. As a striker, he suffered from lack of service. Rooney felt the club was not headed in the right direction which he was proven right about and as much as ot was wrong for him to want to join City, he never went to the lengths that Ronaldo did.

I think you're just being kinder to those 3 because you don't like Ronaldo. Ronaldo criticised the facilities at the club, which we know need upgraded, he criticised the club for how they handled his request for a delayed return in the summer and I guess we don't know the internal workings, and he criticised ten hag which tbh is pretty much the main point of contention that most fans have with him. So he had a falling out with a manager who'd been here for a couple of months, how is that worse than keane criticising players he'd played with for years? Or Rooney requesting a transfer to our title rivals.

Fair enough on ruud, you can say that wasn't as bad, though making a comment yo Ronaldo about his dad shortly after he died is tasteless, but it's a dispute between players.

You'll probably remember Ronaldo scores a hat trick against atletico for Juve that season to take them past them basically single handedly, while real went out at the last 16. This kind of ridiculous hyperbole, that Ronaldo benefited more from Madrid than the other way round is insanity. So if grealish finishes thay chance that's cleared off the line last season and Madrid don't make a third comeback, then would they still have given more to him than the reverse? Ronaldo's lack of success post Madrid is down to the teams he joined, if he went straight frok Madrid to city or bayern he'd have done very well

Ighalo > Ronaldo. Ighalo is a massive United fan isn't he? I bet he was confused when he found out about Ronaldo in RSL.

Juve wasn't as strong as Real.

The comparison is poor, if Ronaldo stayed in Real he could have won 1 more CL, he basically went to Juve because of wages.

Yeah Madrid did much better without him than he did without Madrid. He joined a Juventus team that had won 4 doubles in a row (7 or 8 league titles in a row) and reached the UCL final in 2 of the previous 4 seasons.

They spent a boatload of money on him as he promised them he was the final jigsaw piece that they needed to take that extra step. Instead, they immediately regressed overnight. Never came close to a UCL final again and never sniffed a league and cup double again.

I don't know what's more surreal, the fact he went with this fecking WWE challenge and escaped the most obvious red card, or the fact that it was Michael fecking Oliver of all people to referee that game and to give him a leeway :lol: this is below farmers league

Last edited:
I think Messi winning the World Cup ended up breaking him up. What the feck is he even doing these days? Absolutely surreal and he's destroying his own legacy.

wherever he goes, he hears "Messi, Messi!" from the crowd :lol: it was the same after yesterdays loss. he will never have peace.

on top of that, he could actually end up winning nothing again. only 6 games left to play, his team has 3 points less than the league leaders while also playing one game more than them.

Barca was annihilating Madrid during the Ronaldo era without needing penalties. The head to head improved a lot more after he left when surprise surprise other players aren’t being held back by Ronaldo like Benzema was much like rashford now.

ronaldo fared MUCH worse without Madrid. Took a team that was making 2 of the last 3 finals in CL to not even getting past quarter finals and losing to the portos and Lyons of the world. Madrid were getting better and better each year since Ronaldo left as Ronaldo made teams worse and worse since joining as each season went on. Neither Juventus or united would’ve taken Ronaldo back.

Madrid would’ve made the same move on letting him walk 10/10.

Barca was annihilating Madrid during the Ronaldo era without needing penalties. The head to head improved a lot more after he left when surprise surprise other players aren’t being held back by Ronaldo like Benzema was much like rashford now.

ronaldo fared MUCH worse without Madrid. Took a team that was making 2 of the last 3 finals in CL to not even getting past quarter finals and losing to the portos and Lyons of the world. Madrid were getting better and better each year since Ronaldo left as Ronaldo made teams worse and worse since joining as each season went on. Neither Juventus or united would’ve taken Ronaldo back.

There is context to everything. Teams go through cycles. Diffferent managers, different squad make up. Not every player is consistenly good every season in their prime years and especially not in their last years. I think Real Madrid could have done with Ronaldo for 1 more year, I dont necessarily believe they would have won a 4th cl on the bounce if he stayed. I dont think Ronnie was looking for a 1 year extension so they were right to let him go imo. But the same context applies to Juventus, they went through cycles and expecting a 34-36 year old Ronaldo to win them the CL was always unrealistic.

Last edited:
Yeah Madrid did much better without him than he did without Madrid. He joined a Juventus team that had won 4 doubles in a row (7 or 8 league titles in a row) and reached the UCL final in 2 of the previous 4 seasons.

They spent a boatload of money on him as he promised them he was the final jigsaw piece that they needed to take that extra step. Instead, they immediately regressed overnight. Never came close to a UCL final again and never sniffed a league and cup double again.

Ronaldo did not promise Juventus he was the final piece in the jigsaw, that's not how transfers work.

They signed him because they wanted him he was the most famous footballer in the world and still in his peak years

Given how good he was for Juve his first 2 seasons, it‘s possible they‘d have won 1 or 2 more with him and Zidane… Perez spent more money on useless Hazard and on paying the wages of a washed up unmotivated Bale…

madrid’s defense was shambolic they wouldn’t have won CL even with him as the 2019 team was the worst defensive Madrid side they had.

It wasn't really the same team though that made the finals, you had an ageing midfield and defence. They probably could have spent the 100m on a more urgent position but at the same time look who juventus have gotten worse since Ronaldo left, even after replacing a 35 year old with one of the top strikers in the world, they've scored less goals got less points.

And there was a few seasons where Barca won the league by a handful of points, during a time we know they were paying referees. Whether it impacted on the clasico results themselves is irrelevant, it's whether the payment to referees resulted in 3-6 extra points a season, which I'd be really surprised if they didn't, because otherwise why the feck pay them?

Clearly though, you just despise the guy, I can understand people criticising his time at juventus or his second spell here, but trying to pretend he held Madrid back while he was there is ridiculous. They won 4 out of the last 5 champions leagues before he left, then they've won 1 in 4. They reached 8 semi finals in a row before he left then got knocked out at the last 16, it's a real stretch to try and pretend he held them back

Is Ronaldo not allowed to be sent off? If that was Casemiro it'd be 10 matches. Then again, he's getting paid $50m per appearance, so perhaps Michael Oliver isn't so keen on risking the old bone saw treatment.

It wasn't really the same team though that made the finals, you had an ageing midfield and defence. They probably could have spent the 100m on a more urgent position but at the same time look who juventus have gotten worse since Ronaldo left, even after replacing a 35 year old with one of the top strikers in the world, they've scored less goals got less points.

And there was a few seasons where Barca won the league by a handful of points, during a time we know they were paying referees. Whether it impacted on the clasico results themselves is irrelevant, it's whether the payment to referees resulted in 3-6 extra points a season, which I'd be really surprised if they didn't, because otherwise why the feck pay them?

Clearly though, you just despise the guy, I can understand people criticising his time at juventus or his second spell here, but trying to pretend he held Madrid back while he was there is ridiculous. They won 4 out of the last 5 champions leagues before he left, then they've won 1 in 4. They reached 8 semi finals in a row before he left then got knocked out at the last 16, it's a real stretch to try and pretend he held them back

Barca never paid the refs, you keep getting it wrong. It would take a lot more than 7 million over 20 years to buy off a ref.

If the refs were paid off then they did a terrible job.

Ronaldo was aging, Perez was very smart to dump him. No Madrid fan, Juventus fan, or united fan wants Ronaldo back. Think about why that is.

you had a meltdown during the WC. Ronaldo is a toxic element. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t a great player back in his day. Being the second best player of his generation is nothing to scoff at. But he was a headache and teams continue to flourish without him as he made one bad decision after another starting with his desire to chase money.

Ronaldo has fared horribly since leaving Madrid. They were running on fumes in 2018, once zidane left it was over for a bit. Ronaldo can’t even get past Quarterfinals without modric and even Porto and Lyon would knock his teams out. Not CL winners or finalists.

Barca never paid the refs, you keep getting it wrong. It would take a lot more than 7 million over 20 years to buy off a ref.

If the refs were paid off then they did a terrible job.

Ronaldo was aging, Perez was very smart to dump him. No Madrid fan, Juventus fan, or united fan wants Ronaldo back. Think about why that is.

you had a meltdown during the WC. Ronaldo is a toxic element. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t a great player back in his day. Being the second best player of his generation is nothing to scoff at. But he was a headache and teams continue to flourish without him as he made one bad decision after another starting with his desire to chase money.

Ronaldo has fared horribly since leaving Madrid. They were running on fumes in 2018, once zidane left it was over for a bit. Ronaldo can’t even get past Quarterfinals without modric and even Porto and Lyon would knock his teams out. Not CL winners or finalists.

Yeahthey paid the vice president of referees who just so happened to favour and promote referees that benefited Barca.

Refs being paid off doesn't mean every decision would go for Barca and against Madrid, referee mistakes have been a part of the game forever, of you benefit from one decision that you paid for and are negatively impacted by 3 mistakes, the decision you paid for is still corruption. I don't think Barca made these payments for years to get absolutely nothing in return.

Juventus was a poor side that Ronaldo joined, that's why even after replacing him with vlahovic they've gotten worse.

You're calling him the second best of his generation but also trying to claim he held Madrid back

Edit: think abiut why that is? Because he's 38 and has had a noticeable decline even from last season, that has no impact on whether he would have benefited Madrid within the last 4 years

wherever he goes, he hears "Messi, Messi!" from the crowd :lol: it was the same after yesterdays loss. he will never have peace.

on top of that, he could actually end up winning nothing again. only 6 games left to play, his team has 3 points less than the league leaders while also playing one game more than them.

Yeah it's always funny to see how agitated he gets :lol:

They now trail by 3 points having played an extra match, apparently.

madrid’s defense was shambolic they wouldn’t have won CL even with him as the 2019 team was the worst defensive Madrid side they had.

Madrid in the seasons they won the champions league

Carvajal-varane-ramos-marcelo

Madrid's defense during the 18/19 season

Carvajal-varane-ramos-marcelo

Yeah no way they could have won. Not to mention Zidane might have stayed if they didn't sell Ronaldo and try to force Bale on him

Nah surely you're not calling them minnows