Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

So it turns out the 60 freekicks 1 goal statistic is not that shocking when compared to freekicks scored in the history of worldcup/european cups.

Dutch article but check the pic with stats

It shows that players with a reputation as freekick wizards like hagi scored 0 from 28, Koeman 0 from 22, Totti 0 from 18, Roberto Carlos 1 (that one iconic freekick vs the Netherlands) out of 22... Technical players or world wide icons like maradona 0 from 24, platini 2 from 22, messi 1 out of 20...

More stats: most freekick goals in a wc/ec: 4 in 2016, since 1980 no player has scored more than 2 goals from freekicks, since 2000 only 11 players who scored from a freekick, noone has scored from a freekick this EC.

Last edited:
So it turns out the 60 freekicks 1 goal statistic is not that shocking when compared to freekicks scored in the history of worldcup/european cups.

It shows that players with a reputation as freekick wizards like hagi scored 0 from 28, Koeman 0 from 22, Totti 0 from 18... Technical players or world wide icons like maradona 0 from 24, platini 2 from 22, messi 1 out of 20...

More stats: most freekick goals in a wc/ec: 4 in 2016, since 1980 no player has scored more than 2 goals from freekicks, since 2000 only 11 players who scored from a freekick, noone has scored from a freekick this EC.

His conversion rate at Juve was 1 out of 72 free-kicks in 3 years..

His conversion rate at Juve was 1 out of 72 free-kicks in 3 years..
No doubt he is bad at them but at a big international tournament these statistics say that there are big names who have yet even to score 1 from a third of his amount of attempts.

Can’t help but wonder if it’d been the women’s euros and a woman was crying on the pitch, whether she’d get so much vitriol and comments calling her pathetic and embarrassing.

He definitely cried because it meant he hadn’t scored in the Euros. Anyone thinking it had anything to do with his country, is mad. They were very much in the ascendency and any other captain would grab the ball and get on with it.

His anguish was about his own stats, nothing more, nothing less.

It shows that players with a reputation as freekick wizards like hagi scored 0 from 28, Koeman 0 from 22, Totti 0 from 18, Roberto Carlos 1 (that one iconic freekick vs the Netherlands) out of 22... Technical players or world wide icons like maradona 0 from 24, platini 2 from 22, messi 1 out of 20...

The crazy thing is that he attempted 60 (!) to begin with. You only get to so many when you go for goal from basically every angle and distance. There was this situation in the game against Slovenia when the referee took the ball from him and placed it a few metres further towards the byline making an almost ridiculous position for a direct attempt a more or less impossible one and he still went for the shot instead for the cross.. it was absurd.

Didi Hamman, Lisa Fallon and Shay Given have opinions about things they have never experienced themselves. Whoosh.

Didi Hamann lost a World Cup final where he gave the ball away to Rivaldo that led to one of the goals so he is as qualified to talk about disappointment at international level as anyone else. Given also lost a World Cup knockout penalty shootout.

i reckon i could score 3 out of 27 in major tournaments.

It's happened before
maxresdefault.jpg

Didi Hamman, Lisa Fallon and Shay Given have opinions about things they have never experienced themselves. Whoosh.
I think the only whoosh here is with you, they're former footballers, so obviously they've experienced similar before.

No. Away at Derby in 2008 15 minutes before the end of the match. Hence the counting and the relief.
:lol: Of course you know which game it was. Did you have a scroll through your personal Ronaldo archive's that you've compiled or do you just know every Ronaldo goal off by heart?!

The crying thing is absolutely fine if the match (or the player's match) has ended. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with that at all, especially when professional athletes put so much of themselves into the games with all the preparation and anticipation that goes with it. It was just a bit weird that he cried when there was still a significant amount of the match still to be played in which he could have easily rectified his mistake and where his team needed leadership.

Cry after the match or when your part is over through injury or whatever, not when there's still a game to be won.

It's happened before

He cries a lot these days.

It happened in Saudi Arabia.
www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/ckvvl944qy5o#:~:text=Cristiano%20Ronaldo%20was%20reduced%20to,after%20extra%20time%20in%20Jeddah.

in the World Cup
www.goal.com/en/news/watch-ronaldo-tunnel-tears-portugal-out-world-cup-morocco/bltf933fd9475e3210f

in WC qualifications
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMpC_FwSQVs

The difference is he was at least waiting end game to begin crying in the past unlike yesterday. I think being scoreless in 4 games created a huge pressure on him, he was probably expecting another statpadding episode in the group stage before crashing in the knockouts as usual after that terrible WC experience, so a big frustration for him. official declaration that he's finished at the top level.

Can’t help but wonder if it’d been the women’s euros and a woman was crying on the pitch, whether she’d get so much vitriol and comments calling her pathetic and embarrassing.
If they had a track record of behaving like a petulant brat for well over a decade, then yes, I'd imagine there would be some online vitriol. Not to the same extent though, as the women's euros doesn't get as many viewers.

:lol: Of course you know which game it was. Did you have a scroll through your personal Ronaldo archive's that you've compiled or do you just know every Ronaldo goal off by heart?!

It was an important match for United towards the end of the season and they were struggling to break down Derby, of course I remember it. I also remember Tevez’ late equalizer away at Blackburn in the same season, which pissed me off because they celebrated a goal that only levelled the match when I considered it two points dropped!

I don’t have any archives but I have a very good memory ;) (and yes I know his every United goal by heart, not the other ones).

My biggest concern is the secondary effect on children and young people who play football. They have all been running around shouting 'Siiiiuuu' for the last 10 years. Now a door has suddenly opened for crying when things don't go their way. It's already quite a vulnerable generation.

There have been plenty of sportsmen who cried on the field not just footballers. Thing is it's not any normal penalty, if Ronaldo misses that say in the 30th minute it's highly unlikely he would have reacted like that. What I'm saying the circumstances are a lot different for this one (extra time and a chance they lose because of it) and I understand why he would be so emotional about it. And to be fair he did keep it together, to step up first in the shoot out and score a near perfect penalty takes some guts, I was kind of expecting him to miss it.

There was 15 minutes plus penalties left. He’s nearly 40, he’s the captain, none of us have ever seen anything like that before last night - it was truly pathetic. I get that he has a really dedicated cult who are almost as irrational and weird as he is, but last night only serves to prove there’s nothing they won’t try and defend when it comes to Ronaldo. He should take a leaf out of Pepe’s book, someone who is humble enough to take a spot on the bench, someone who just gets about his business and is picked on merit and not so the entire can chase personal records for him.

It was an important match for United towards the end of the season and they were struggling to break down Derby, of course I remember it. I also remember Tevez’ late equalizer away at Blackburn in the same season, which pissed me off because they celebrated a goal that only levelled the match when I considered it two points dropped!

I don’t have any archives but I have a very good memory ;) (and yes I know his every United goal by heart, not the other ones).
:lol: my god

Last edited:
My biggest concern is the secondary effect on children and young people who play football. They have all been running around shouting 'Siiiiuuu' for the last 10 years. Now a door has suddenly opened for crying when things don't go their way. It's already quite a vulnerable generation.

What nonsense is this?

The crying thing is absolutely fine if the match (or the player's match) has ended. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with that at all, especially when professional athletes put so much of themselves into the games with all the preparation and anticipation that goes with it. It was just a bit weird that he cried when there was still a significant amount of the match still to be played in which he could have easily rectified his mistake and where his team needed leadership.

Cry after the match or when your part is over through injury or whatever, not when there's still a game to be won.

Emotion isn't really something you can control.

Cool data man, but it should have include also Copa America stats, I don't think anyway that it will change the trend

Last edited:
Emotion isn't really something you can control.
I'm not a professional footballer but i thought as an athlete you're always aware of the need to be in control and it's never over until the final whistle and all that.

Again, no problem with the crying if it's at the end of the game or with an injury, it's a perfectly normal response. It's just when there's still plenty of time to rectify your mistake then it's a bit odd and you have to wonder what's going through his head.

Someone said he pulled himself together to take the first penalty which is true but he looked absolutely broken in the remaining minutes of the match, like he didn't believe he could put it right.

I'm not a professional footballer but i thought as an athlete you're always aware of the need to be in control and it's never over until the final whistle and all that.

Again, no problem with the crying if it's at the end of the game or with an injury, it's a perfectly normal response. It's just when there's still plenty of time to rectify your mistake then it's a bit odd and you have to wonder what's going through his head.

Someone said he pulled himself together to take the first penalty which is true but he looked absolutely broken in the remaining minutes of the match, like he didn't believe he could put it right.

Agree, but what supersedes that is a being human. Plenty of times we've seen athletes have lost control of their emotion - we see this all the time with red cards for example. Could have been his last match for Portugal so i understand why it meant so much.

Agree, but what supersedes that is a being human. Plenty of times we've seen athletes have lost control of their emotion - we see this all the time with red cards for example. Could have been his last match for Portugal so i understand why it meant so much.

And plenty of times athletes haven’t. Of course emotion can be controlled, I do it all the time, do you not? Being an athlete is constantly fighting with your emotions. Everyone who misses a penalty feels awful, not everyone reacts awfully. They’re all humans, they all feel emotion, but you choose how you act and how you react.

I immediately remembered that too and I couldn't give a sh*t about Ronaldo.

And plenty of times athletes haven’t. Of course emotion can be controlled, I do it all the time, do you not? Being an athlete is constantly fighting with your emotions. Everyone who misses a penalty feels awful, not everyone reacts awfully. They’re all humans, they all feel emotion, but you choose how you act and how you react.

It's not a switch that you can just turn on and off. If I'm sad or upset - you can't just turn that emotion off - all you can do is try and manage how you react to it, at times - that's not easy and is different for everyone. If someone is about to burst into tears - i'm not going say do you mind waiting 30mins. If it were easy to control there wouldn't be so much advice out there on how to manage to it.

Last edited:
After this kind of "going back to life after seeing the light at the end of the tunnel", he'll end more comitted than ever. With him there is always the chance of a goal, no matter how old or our of form or whatever, just a great cross to his head and voila.
Also the BBC stuff, the crying in public, all of that will totally fuel him in these days prior to France, we should never discount someone who always fed himself with such stuff. Plus he didn't play BAD, indeed he didn't brought a more dinamic game, or pressuring, but he was good on the ball and his misses can be missed by anyone even half his age, shyte happens. What I think he should do more, is associate more and not just make an opening and fire himself to the little area expecting the cross, he can use more variants than that and help the team with his composure, he was a bit too much obssesed with the "be there to score".

About the crying, etc, he did what he could, it doesn't matter if he is rich, young, old, a narcissist or not, everyone has to deal with his own mind and it's not easy for anyone. That it's sthg that we should not even make a great fuss about it even if isn't usual. The world he lives in isn't common either, the type of life Pele, R9, Maradona, Messi or CR have to deal with ain't freaking normal at all. that fvcks up your head one way or another.

On a general note, the only thing that always bothered me about him about his personality, it's how his entourage enhaces this need of dissing Messi and how he many times lost the plot and talks too much about it, it's really silly, sometimes he even kind of generates reactions from his own NT team mates that made some out of place declarations like if it was a silly CR vs Messi thread from a forum. I never got those slips that are way too many, no matter how cool both act between them most of the time, I always found those reactions, declarations and victimization quite annoying.

Last edited:
I'll never be harsh on anyone for crying. Sometimes it's too much for someone to hold in. We all know how passionate Ronaldo is about every small detail of his game. It's why he became as one of the greatest players of all time. A penalty miss in what could be his last ever major tournament was always going to impact him massively.

It reminded me of Gazza. Some just can't hold it in. Others, like when Keane and Scholes knew they were going to miss the '99 final, just get on with it. I don't think there is a right or wrong way of reacting in these moments.

He doesn't play a team sport, it is all about him and his ego, what the team can do for him, very rarely what he can do for the team. It is all a bit contemptible.

Players being emotional on the pitch is one thing, that level of narcissism and self absorption is disgusting to watch and shouldn't be normalized or accepted.

He is very capable of still having a major moment, but I hope not, he doesn't deserve it.

There was 15 minutes plus penalties left. He’s nearly 40, he’s the captain, none of us have ever seen anything like that before last night - it was truly pathetic. I get that he has a really dedicated cult who are almost as irrational and weird as he is, but last night only serves to prove there’s nothing they won’t try and defend when it comes to Ronaldo. He should take a leaf out of Pepe’s book, someone who is humble enough to take a spot on the bench, someone who just gets about his business and is picked on merit and not so the entire can chase personal records for him.

Because I chose to show empathy and give the benefit of doubt to a human who appeared to be in a really bad emotional state it makes me weird and part of a cult :lol:

If anything it's people like you who are the real cultists, hate a person ( personally too) they don't even know and spend time ranting about them on Internet forums. You should use your limited newbie posts more wisely.

Last edited: