Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deery

Dreary
What about all the gilt edged chances he's missed in that time? By my last check he's still the player with the second most shots at goal in the PL after Salah. His Xg in the league has been poor
Bruno has missed gilt edge chances as well, if they go if different story.
Didn't that hat trick come after he had been out of the team and was fully rested?
Good point, but he implied Ronaldo doesn’t have it in him anymore which he obviously does.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I thought he looked 10 years younger in the atletico game. Shame he doesn’t have some decent teammates to play off.

Oldyella

Good point, but he implied Ronaldo doesn’t have it in him anymore which he obviously does.
Ah OK. Yeah he definitely can contribute still. We just need a stronger squad so he can be allowed a breather now and then. Whether he sees it that way will be interesting..

MrEleson

Ah OK. Yeah he definitely can contribute still. We just need a stronger squad so he can be allowed a breather now and then. Whether he sees it that way will be interesting..
If we have a competitive squad of course he will. Ronaldo isn’t dumb. He was already doing that in his last 2 seasons at Madrid which is what helped maximise his contributions in the big games.

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Yes he has, but still:

Ronaldo in the PL this season: Non penalty goals: 10, npxG: 12,71 - underperformed his expected non penalty goals with 22% (this number was 41% before the Spurs-game)
Bruno in the PL this season - Non penalty goals: 9 - npxG: 6,30 - Outperformed his expected non penalty goals with 43%

I think the point being made is that having it in rear glimpses doesn't mean you still have it.
He has shown to a great extent this season that most of the time he doesn't still have it.....

Even if he scored 40 goals a season for us, I still think we would be better off with out him, because we play better football with a more dynamic forward. The results would be better and the mood around the club would be less devided and more optimistic.

steffyr2

Do you really believe our other attacking players and especially the young ones are happy to spend most of their developing or "going into their prime" years on the bench? That's obviously one of the bigger problems with signing a 36 year old who demands to play when fit who is only going to get worse with time..... If you don't see why this is a problem, then good luck to you.
Which do you prefer? Ronaldo who wants ("demands") to play or Cavani, who demands to go on vacation (and get paid)?

troylocker

Which do you prefer? Ronaldo who wants ("demands") to play or Cavani, who demands to go on vacation (and get paid)?
None of them would be part of my plan going into the future. Both are parts of our problems... I want players who realise football is a teamsport. And I want younger players that is still developing and can adapt into the way we want to play. Not players that is regressing and needs the team to adapt to them.....

steffyr2

None of them would be part of my plan going into the future. Both are parts of our problems... I want players who realise football is a teamsport. And I want younger players that is still developing and can adapt into the way we want to play. Not players that is regressing and needs the team to adapt to them.....
So you'd like mid-table-ish players, ones that aren't too concerned about their own future? No Haaland, no Mbappe, that kind of thing?
The McTominay type -- usually available to play, is competent and tries hard, not likely to get caught up in the emotions of the competition....

troylocker

So you'd like mid-table-ish players, ones that aren't too concerned about their own future? No Haaland, no Mbappe, that kind of thing?
The McTominay type -- usually available to play, is competent and tries hard, not likely to get caught up in the emotions of the competition....
Yup! Midtable players is exactly the kind of players I want. You got my point 100%. That's what you read from my post?

So you don't think young top talents are teamplayers?

Honest questions:
Do you think Ronaldo has been a good fit with us this time around?
Was signing him a good decision, thinking longterm?

steffyr2

Yup! Midtable players is exactly the kind of players I want. You got my point 100%. That's what you read from my post?

So you don't think young top talents are teamplayers?

Honest questions:
Do you think Ronaldo has been a good fit with us this time around?
Was signing him a good decision, thinking longterm?
I think you've gotten so wound up trying to think of ways to criticize Ronaldo that you don't realize what it sounds like. Drive? Bad. Ambition? Bad. Wanting to play every game? Really really really bad and those players should be immediately removed from the team.

Yes, Ronaldo is good for the team.

troylocker

I think you've gotten so wound up trying to think of ways to criticize Ronaldo that you don't realize what it sounds like. Drive? Bad. Ambition? Bad. Wanting to play every game? Really really really bad and those players should be immediately removed from the team.

I haven't criticized Ronaldo for lacking drive or motivation, I dont think he's lacking in that department. I've criticized him for being ineffective and being a heavy burden to carry for his teammates beacause of his record-low defensive workrate. Most of all I'm criticizing the club's decision to sign him and playing him as much as we have. Signing anyone older than 32 should be for a backup or rotation role maximum, as they are all short term investments. You just don't sign 36 year olds to be the main man, no matter what their CVs look like, they will allways be blocking a teams development.

United in sin

Yes, Bruno has been terrible as well, but this is the Ronaldo performance thread

georgipep

I think you are a total WUM and think you are so smart writing bs in replies, hoping people won't check what was originally written.

Sadly, probably most people truly won't check. But that doesn't mean you are right.

steffyr2

I haven't criticized Ronaldo for lacking drive or motivation, I dont think he's lacking in that department. I've criticized him for being ineffective and being a heavy burden to carry for his teammates beacause of his record-low defensive workrate. Most of all I'm criticizing the club's decision to sign him and playing him as much as we have. Signing anyone older than 32 should be for a backup or rotation role maximum, as they are all short term investments. You just don't sign 36 year olds to be the main man, no matter what their CVs look like, they will allways be blocking a teams development.
Oh. Who should Ronaldo be backup for?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Maybe he should pick up where he left off in the league and fire us into the top 4.

L1nk

I think Ronaldo has been let in on our plans for the new manager. If he’s already making this decision i dont see how he hasn't been

NewYorkRed

Terrific news. For all the crap he’s getting, he’s second top scorer in the league and killed it in the CL group stages, plus we have no real alternative. The team just needs to start playing better.

also, this must mean we’ve already decided on a manager.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Of course he's saying on £700k+ a week. Anyone would be insane to pay it.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Happy that he intends to stay but it’d also be gut wrenching to watch the greatest player in champions league history lining up in Gdansk or Prague on a Thursday evening while the big boys play a day earlier.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Happy that he intends to stay but it’d also be gut wrenching to watch the greatest player in champions league history lining up in Gdansk or Prague on a Thursday evening while the big boys play a day earlier.
Should've scored those tap-ins then shouldn't he.

Irwin99

Good news if true. We have far too many players leaving and we're very light in the striker department as it is. Also will be good to see him get to a 150 United goals if he stays.

United in sin

He's directed Mendes to sound out champions league clubs and no one is interested. Perhaps he's coming to grips with reality.

Terrible news, want him gone
This. Perhaps with the realization that he's not as hot a commodity as he once was he'll accept a lesser role next season. We can't afford him to continue disrupting the harmony behind closed doors. I don't care what Martial said recently

C'est Moi Cantona

To be fair I think he's on less than that. Most reports say he's around 510k weekly or over 5 million euros less annually than what he was making at Juventus
'Up to' I guess that includes bonuses, etc, but a basic of £510,000 is still mad, and means basically if PSG don't want him then he is staying.

Personally I have no wish of seeing him as our main striker next season, or been a grumpy substiution either.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Weird how being available to play almost every game is considered to be a bad thing on here. Also weird how wanting to play every game is a bad thing. Thank God we don't have that problem with the rest of our forwards!
Yup, that's weird how a lot of people talk about wanting to play every game as a bad trait.

He has been played to the ground because there aren't a lot of options. He's the type of player who wants to play every game but even he understands he needs to manage his minutes to be able to finish the season. I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem playing once a week, it would help him to extend his career and the team as well. At the moment the team can't afford to rest him as the position in the table isn't a comfortable one and there aren't many options available.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yep. No major CL team will want him, especially for this sort of audacious figure:
£775k a week?

I thought it was 775million a week? Or is that how much it'll be the next time they whack it up.

SirMonteyne

In last decade there were unprofessionalism, dressing room feuds, lack of desire, lack of seniors, lack of winners, problems between manager and player, leaks, no chemistry, no discipline, not enough trainings and total destruction in this team. Having someone who scored most in the history of this sport, who is known as most professional, disciplined and desire to win in this mess could actually fix half of those problems, at least it's what i believe. Next manager has to use him smarter, he obviously can't play eight games in one month. This season we had unexpected things that left us to exhaust him.

Status
Not open for further replies.