Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

Cracking player! Looks like he'd also know how to drill out the lock on your Ford Transit if no-one was watching.

Very obviously the best English player right now yet doesn't get the minutes.

Foden over Palmer might be the new Oscar over KdB?
The Foden over Palmer decision alone should be Southgate’s undoing. Foden (like Kane) did absolutely nothing for 6 straight matches and yet kept starting each one. Foden looks a completely different player for club and country.

The Foden over Palmer decision alone should be Southgate’s undoing. Foden (like Kane) did absolutely nothing for 6 straight matches and yet kept starting each one. Foden looks a completely different player for club and country.

100%.
Foden stunk the place out all tournament, but was guaranteed to keep playing, no matter how well Palmer did. Bizarre stuff.

100%.
Foden stunk the place out all tournament, but was guaranteed to keep playing, no matter how well Palmer did. Bizarre stuff.

Foden is a system player. He does well as part of a team that is already dominating. Palmer in contrast almost single-handedly dragged a dysfunctional team to a finish they had no business sniffing - it should be very obvious which of the two is the better player who you'd want to build around in the context of an international tournament where things are inherently dysfunctional.

Was pretty much excellent every minute he played. The fact he didn't start a single match this tournament is the very definition of reputation over form and performances.

Cracking player. Chelsea had to stumble on a good one after signing so much rubbish. Huge mistake by City.

Said it before a ball was kicked at the euros that palmer should have started over foden as he genuinely the better player but foden ability was flattered by being in a pep gaurdiola system

Seemed to impact matches every time he came on. Yet never starts a game. Class management.

Didn't think he did anything notable in his first three sub appearances, but very good in the last two. Foden having a very good first half against Netherlands was probably enough to keep him in the team for the final, though you could argue he should have dropped by then.

Didn't think he did anything notable in his first three sub appearances, but very good in the last two. Foden having a very good first half against Netherlands was probably enough to keep him in the team for the final, though you could argue he should have dropped by then.
Even when he didn't do anything especially noteworthy, he was still much more impactful in the handful of minutes he got compared to foden over the 90.

Foden is a system player. He does well as part of a team that is already dominating. Palmer in contrast almost single-handedly dragged a dysfunctional team to a finish they had no business sniffing - it should be very obvious which of the two is the better player who you'd want to build around in the context of an international tournament where things are inherently dysfunctional.
This really says it all. Ridiculous by Southgate.

Did City sell him before or after De Bruyne's early season injury?

Should be a United player

I've "criticised" him on here before, which was basically me saying he won't reproduce 30-40 G/A in a normal season, and people shouldn't expect that from him next season...

...but he's an incredible player and would actually have solved more issues for us than one would think at first. And I was somewhat underrating him back then, a few months ago. He's definitely gone up in my estimations since then, I have no shame in admitting this.

We've not had a proper left-footed right winger for...how long? I feel like we've needed one since Ronaldo left, and since then, we had Di María for one season, Januzaj never lived up to his potential, and Greenwood is sadly braindead. I've been craving for our own Robben for 15 years now, and I'm very jealous of Arsenal for unearthing a gem like Saka who will be their long-term world class right winger.

Signing Palmer last summer would've been basically signing a 21-year old Di María, except that he's English and a United fan. Oh boy how great that sounds. :lol: We would now have a world class right winger, and a potential long-term Bruno Fernandes replacement, as Palmer would also be incredible at RCM or #10.

So yeah, he would've been one of the best signings we probably would have ever made, and a long-term world-class solution for 2-3 positions that we need a good player at.

I have some hope in me that he will be a United player one day, though. I would have zero problems with us shattering our transfer record for him in a few years' time, whilst he's still relatively young and has several years left at the top. One day!

Just FYI for all of you guys hoping he’ll one day be a United player, he was signed up on a 7 year contract. I don’t know why anyone would think we’d even entertain a sale to a club that will be a rival for top 4 every season. We have done a lot of business with PL rivals in recent years but it has only really been for players who are older and past their best or who have been effectively replaced with new signings.

We just sold you guys Mount for £52m or whatever it was and he was in the last year of his contract and not even starting at the time for us. If Palmer carries on developing I don’t think we’d even sell for £150m. And nobody is paying that.

I’ve been impressed with him since he left City but I kind of also understand why Southgate doesn’t start him, doesn’t seem disciplined defensively and you need both sides of the game especially in a team like England’s.

Just FYI for all of you guys hoping he’ll one day be a United player, he was signed up on a 7 year contract. I don’t know why anyone would think we’d even entertain a sale to a club that will be a rival for top 4 every season. We have done a lot of business with PL rivals in recent years but it has only really been for players who are older and past their best or who have been effectively replaced with new signings.

We just sold you guys Mount for £52m or whatever it was and he was in the last year of his contract and not even starting at the time for us. If Palmer carries on developing I don’t think we’d even sell for £150m. And nobody is paying that.

You cannot predict the future. There's a world where in the not so distant future, United are going places, whilst Chelsea are just a top 4 contender team in the league. In that world, we are willing to break our transfer record for Cole Palmer, who you bought just for a fraction of the price that we are offering for him, as well as much higher wages than he's earning at Chelsea. In that world, Palmer tells Chelsea he wants to join United.

What do you think happens in this hypothetical scenario? Would you keep a player who wants to leave? Also, by that point, at least one of Estevao or Paez could've easily established themselves as a world class right winger.

Did City sell him before or after De Bruyne's early season injury?

Chelsea announced Palmer September 1. I had to go back and check which game KDB was injured in, and I think it was vs Burnley on August 10, so yeah I think after.

Last edited:

We can dream innit.

I've seen plenty of players who are one-season wonders. They produce great for a season and a bit and then gradually fade away.
I will reserve my verdict on Palmer after the end of the next season.

You cannot predict the future. There's a world where in the not so distant future, United are going places, whilst Chelsea are just a top 4 contender team in the league. In that world, we are willing to break our transfer record for Cole Palmer, who you bought just for a fraction of the price that we are offering for him, as well as much higher wages than he's earning at Chelsea. In that world, Palmer tells Chelsea he wants to join United.

What do you think happens in this hypothetical scenario? Would you keep a player who wants to leave? Also, by that point, at least one of Estevao or Paez could've easily established themselves as a world class right winger.
Meh. Don’t see any of that happening. Your club hasn’t proven it will go close to even £100m for a transfer with your massive debt issues. Never mind what it would take for us to entertain a sale of Palmer.

If Declan Rice at age 25 went for £105m as a DM I can’t even imagine what a match winning attacking player would go for at age 23-24 in a couple of years. And we’re the best in the world at getting big fees for players. Players we don't even want at that.