Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

This sort of thing matters VERY little to professional athletes. Kids tend to like the most successful team they have access to. Probably a LOT of 8 and 9 year old City fans in Manchester now.
He's from a family of Reds and he was named Cole after Andy Cole.

Didn't stop him from signing for Man City and then Chelsea so he doesn't give that much of a shit.
Imagine being a kid in school who is approached by a PL club to play for their academy and you reject them in the hope that your boyhood club approaches you instead :lol:

Imagine being a kid in school who is approached by a PL club to play for their academy and you reject them in the hope that your boyhood club approaches you instead :lol:

Imagine thinking that every club in the area doesn't know about every talented kid within 50 miles before they can sign a long term contract. :lol:

He would've had the chance to jump ship to Man United multiple times but didn't.

Imagine thinking that every club in the area doesn't know about every talented kid within 50 miles before they can sign a long term contract. :lol:

He would've had the chance to jump ship to Man United multiple times but didn't.
You don't know that though, do you?

At least you've backtracked from your initial embarrassing "didn't stop him joining City" stance.

You don't know that though, do you?

At least you've backtracked from your initial embarrassing "didn't stop him joining City" stance.

Players at a young age move clubs constantly. Cole Palmer has been very highly rated for years and could have moved anywhere he wanted, long before he turned 18 and signed a pro contract.

Of course he could have moved to Man United if really gave that much of a shit.

Ole was a Liverpool fan. Roy Keane a Spurs fan, John Terry comes from a family of Man United fans. Even Jadon Sancho was a Chelsea fan but chose Man United. In a list of what is important to a player when picking a club, who they liked as a kid won't make the top 10.

Of course he could have moved to Man United if really gave that much of a shit.

Exactly. I can't believe how people are still trying to cope.

Players who are actual fans of a club do everything they can to play for their club. Totti turned down a Milan offer as a kid and did everything he could to join Roma youth team. Fernando Torres switched to Atletico Madrid academy the first time they gave him an opportunity for a trial.

Guys like Cole Palmer aren't actually fans of the clubs they state they support, they just followed a random successful club when they were kids and then moved on.

I can guarantee you that Cole Palmer couldn't care less for Manchester United. If he scored a goal that would relegate United to Championship and ruin the club forever, he would CELEBRATE it. He is a professional football player focused on his own career. He'll never play for United.

Guys like Cole Palmer aren't actually fans of the clubs they state they support, they just followed a random successful club when they were kids and then moved on.

I can guarantee you that Cole Palmer couldn't care less for Manchester United. If he scored a goal that would relegate United to Championship and ruin the club forever, he would CELEBRATE it. He is a professional football player focused on his own career. He'll never play for United.
Personally, I think when you grow up a few miles away from the stadium and your dad names you after a United legend, you might have some level of fondness towards the club that's isn't easily erased.

But hey - neither of us have ever met the bloke or spoken to him before, so your guess is as good as mine.

Personally, I think when you grow up a few miles away from the stadium and your dad names you after a United legend, you might have some level of fondness towards the club that's isn't easily erased.

If his family were really such United fans they would have prevented him going to City academy.

For example as a kid Alessandro Nesta was first scouted by Roma who offered him to join the academy but his father prevented it because he was a laziale, and waited for Lazio instead.

If you're a fan of a club the last thing you'd want to do is your kid joining the academy of your rivals.

If his family were really such United fans they would have prevented him going to City academy.

For example as a kid Alessandro Nesta was first scouted by Roma who offered him to join the academy but his father prevented it because he was a laziale, and waited for Lazio instead.

If you're a fan of a club the last thing you'd want to do is your kid joining the academy of your rivals.
Fair play to Nesta and his family, however not every person is as willing to roll the dice, and understandably so. When you're offered the opportunity to develop your talent at a club with some of the best facilities in the country, then it's a huge risk to turn that opportunity down. There's numerous examples of talented young footballers out there who never made it because the right opportunity didn't come along at the right time.

Exactly. I can't believe how people are still trying to cope.

Players who are actual fans of a club do everything they can to play for their club. Totti turned down a Milan offer as a kid and did everything he could to join Roma youth team. Fernando Torres switched to Atletico Madrid academy the first time they gave him an opportunity for a trial.

You can't guarantee anything and the last paragraph is pure conjecture. You have no idea.

Only on here do we find people (plural) arguing over who a player supports and what he/they should have done with their career.

Who cares?? It’s all his choice and it appears to be going well for him now. He arguably has the pick of any club in world football at the moment.

In the time of his professional career and learning curve, him joining United would probably have been a mistake

I’m pretty sure I remember seeing an interview with him where he mentioned his dad, also a United fan, had the choice between City and United when Palmer was at U8 level and his father chose City because he felt the set up there was better for his kid.

Strange take. As a parent, the only thing that factors in the decision is what you think is best for your kid, now and in the future.

Would you even want someone who so publically admitted to giving up on being a Man United fan?

I'm not sure I'd want that at Chelsea.
Was the part where he 'publicly admitted to giving up on being a United fan' essentially just him saying 'I was a United fan and I used to watch them all the time'? Or have I missed an interview where he said 'I stopped supporting United because I can't stand them'?

How long did he sign for?

Takes every opportunity to proclaim his love for United, but only way I see it happening is if he runs his contract down - otherwise Chelsea will quote us the cost of a stadium

Can't believe people are on here arguing about whether Cole Palmer loves Man United or not. Please explain why you care?

Also, the people talking about 'fans only play for the club they support' are being silly. Yes it might happen in isolated examples but for the most part, it's a dumb approach. As a kid, you're trying to make it to the elite professional level, which 0.00000000000001% of people make it to (yes, I know that's an exaggeration, but only slightly, l o l). If a club is interested in you, you join them.

This kids defo got something about him. A few seasons showcasing his talent at a stepping stone club like Chelsea and he’ll be ready to make the jump to one of the big boys. He may even get his dream move to his boyhood club.

This kids defo got something about him. A few seasons showcasing his talent at a stepping stone club like Chelsea and he’ll be ready to make the jump to one of the big boys. He may even get his dream move to his boyhood club.

Why would he want to go to a club in free fall? Eighth in the table and more losses than ever? A team that shows so much confidence in the manager they just do a one year extension? I mean the waterfall feature is stunning, but I don’t think it is enough.

Why would he want to go to a club in free fall? Eighth in the table and more losses than ever? A team that shows so much confidence in the manager they just do a one year extension? I mean the waterfall feature is stunning, but I don’t think it is enough.

Maybe he fancies a step up from the Conference League?

As opposed to staying at a club who showed so much confidence in their manager they sacked him?

Obvious wumming but your lot finished 12th the year before.