Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shareholders

The class A shareholders provide finance to the company, or here the the family who have banked it.

The board have a duty, fiduciary, to the members/shareholders, promote the company for the benefit of all members.

Here, if the Glazers take a minority stake (not a full sale or even a SJR majority purchase) are not promoting anything other than their own interests.

I think those investment funds must be putting pressure on the board (Glazers) and reminding them of their duties and consequences of any failure?

Surely, at worst, the source of the funds will be no worse than City's or Newcastle's owners?

I feel like the Newcastle takeover took bloody ages though. Though whether the issue was source of funds, fit and proper person testing, or Mike Ashley generally being a tw@t, I have no idea.

The problem is if they trace the funds back and it becomes apparent it is state backed it becomes an issue due to the fact they already own PSG. That said Ratcliffe also owns Nice but nobody seems to care about that, although the latest tweets suggest he may sell up if his bid to buy us is successful.
But owning PSG has no bearing on the FA decision? That’s a UEFA issue and it’s simply deciding if both clubs can play in CL
It’s not against any laws to own multiple clubs. City owns about 79

But owning PSG has no bearing on the FA decision? That’s a UEFA issue and it’s simply deciding if both clubs can play in CL

That’s true. I was just trying to think why showing proof of funds would be an issue because they’d have already have had to prove they’ve got the money to get this far into the process in the first place.

That’s true. I was just trying to think why showing proof of funds would be an issue because they’d have already have had to prove they’ve got the money to get this far into the process in the first place.
It makes me sceptical of the reporters who bring it up. The FA have no right to request details of PSG ownership structure so would never have the chance to compare and contrast
There’s a lot of guesswork in their reporting and it’s not educated guesswork

I'm $ure U€FA would be able to find some way around that potential issue.

It makes me sceptical of the reporters who bring it up. The FA have no right to request details of PSG ownership structure so would never have the chance to compare and contrast
I think a lot of the media are desperate for Qatar not to be the winners because they know that means Utd being genuine contenders again and highly probably dominating. They want Jim and the glazers to keep the status quo. They are going to try every angle however outlandish to try and put a halt to it. Fortunately they have no credibility or influence over the process whatsoever.

Brexit jibes are probably in anticipation of sunny uplands giving way to the realities of ownership by a ruthless businessman who's just took on a shitton of debt to buy us.

Surely, at worst, the source of the funds will be no worse than City's or Newcastle's owners?

Yeah you would think so but there has been very little positive said about the Qatar bid probably because British media haven't got anyone feeding them information

I think a lot of the media are desperate for Qatar not to be the winners because they know that means Utd being genuine contenders again and highly probably dominating. They want Jim and the glazers to keep the status quo.

So tempted to start singing "Whatever You Want"

You are right but the biggest issue for me is that we are talking about people that are heavy investors in the UK and at a different level than Football. So even the tone of these reports is a bit strange, we are not talking about nobodies.

I'm $ure U€FA would be able to find some way around that potential issue.
No need for paying them off as they had allowed RB Leipzig and RB salzburg both to compete in the champions league even though both are owned by the same owners. You can get an exemption from UEFA for this rule.

The suggestion Ratcliffe doesn't see this as an investment needs scrutiny. You don't pile on billions of pounds of debt buying a business you're going to run for a laugh. Or even a 'legacy project'. That might be what the spin to get fans onside wants everyone to believe but Ratcliffe wouldn't be in this unless he believed in the long term there was profit to be made from us.

We should lock this thread over the weekend as nothing is going to happen due to stock exchange closure.

saves us having to troll through about 30 pages before Monday when nothing else will happen

Yeah but where else will the same circular arguments take place over and over then?

I think a lot of the media are desperate for Qatar not to be the winners because they know that means Utd being genuine contenders again and highly probably dominating. They want Jim and the glazers to keep the status quo. They are going to try every angle however outlandish to try and put a halt to it. Fortunately they have no credibility or influence over the process whatsoever.

The would most likely prefer Ineos to win, but not for any on field reason.

It is simply because they have contacts in Ineos to give them stories, and don't with qatar.

Perhaps not but if they ask and it's refused, easy grounds to deny Qatar the take over. Just have to say it cannot be established that the two clubs would be operated by separate entities.

No need for paying them off as they had allowed RB Leipzig and RB salzburg both to compete in the champions league even though both are owned by the same owners. You can get an exemption from UEFA for this rule.

And share a part of the management which was supposed to be the biggest issue. In their structure RB have global scouts and a global sporting director, the latter was for example the role of Rangnick.

Perhaps not but if they ask and it's refused, easy grounds to deny Qatar the take over. Just have to say it cannot be established that the two clubs would be operated by separate entities.

Yeah this is the one thing which could cost Qatar,however surely they wouldn't have got this far in the process if that was the case

Last edited:

It is simply because they have contacts in Ineos to give them stories, and don't with qatar.
You are right to an extent but on top of that a large number of sports journalists are Abu and can’t stomach the thought of the Utd of the 90s and 00s returning.

Yeah media definitely want INEOS to prevail,they are probably saying stuff that favours them because can't get close enough to prove the state is funding bid. Obviously with Newcastle very early on they knew exactly how that deal was being backed.

It's just a theory but it's possible

Jim has been on record as having met the Glazers in the past and his comments obviously didnt go down well with many United fans

"I've met Joel and Avram and they are the nicest people, I have to say, they are proper gentlemen."

I don't see what's wrong with any of that? Being respectful of the people you're trying to do business with us pretty standard practice.

You are right to an extent but on top of that a large number of sports journalists are Abu and can’t stomach the thought of the Utd of the 90s and 00s returning.
Based on the running of PSG and based on Qatar‘s bidding „strategy“ for United I doubt any PL club or sport journalist would worry about Jassim taking over United.

I don't see what's wrong with any of that? Being respectful of the people you're trying to do business with us pretty standard practice.

Better not tell them Sir Alex has a good relationship with them and has even spoken positively about them. Hate to think what they might say about that.

Based on the running of PSG and based on Qatar‘s bidding „strategy“ for United I doubt any PL club or sport journalist would worry about Jassim taking over United.

How many titles did PSG have pre takeover, remind us?

I know we’ve had the final day will be Friday or next week about a hundred times now, but I really hoped yesterday would have some kind of conclusion. It’s boring reading about all the PR from both sides in the media, people taking the odd report about plans as gospel.

If ineos win will the qataris head up the road and buy Liverpool? I bet nobody on here would like that

The thought of that is frightening. Tough enough to compete with just one oil club right now but then eventually 3 oil clubs when Newcastle start to become more established is going to be even harder.

I would say the same Sir Jim’s backers say when Nice is bought up around it being a different set of circumstances and not really possible to judge regarding Utd. PSG have pretty much dominated the league since they took over. The champions league issue can be put down to the league they play in. It’s very difficult to step up against the other heavyweights who play in much more competitive leagues week in week out. Utd won’t have the same problem. Also maybe they have learnt from PSG and can see where they went wrong. I guess if successful we will find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.