Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said city spending within their means, their means without UAE is about 30m a season. Pogue said pep is the main reason for their success, whereas I imagine it was the takeover that led to them injecting hundreds of millions of pounds and going from mid-table to champions in 4 years

To clarify, Pep is the main reason they are so much more successful than MUFC over the last decade. The main reason is not just because they've spent much more money than MUFC (turns out our net spend is higher anyway!).

Obviously they wouldn't be anywhere near where they are now if they spent within their means. They're a small club. Manchester United are not a small club. We just need to spend our money more wisely. Not spend more money.

Agreed but only if we have tempered expectations. In a couple of years, Newcastle will be spending similar amounts of money as City. We will likely have to hope for both to have a lean season + hope we can do better than the likes of Chelsea, arsenal and Liverpool. 2 of these 5 clubs have very accomplished managers. We're already third in the league in terms of revenue, needing stadium and facility investments.
Why do you think Newcastle having oil money guarantees them ahead of us? That's nonsense. United has crazy money capabilities. Ineos will further reinforce that. We, specifically Manchester United, don't need oil money. We need a competent recruitment group and a top manager. Luckily we have the latter IMO.

City will drop massively when Pep leaves. That is the point. There is no set "this club will always dominate". They need to continue making smart decisions to stay at the top. We need to start making smart decisions and we won't have to worry about who has oil money.

What is the benefit for the Glazers to accept the Qatari bid over Jims? It´s worth less then Jims bid if the gossip is true? Also Joel and Avram could stay for another 3 years and then sell their shares for probably more money than now? I really want them gone ASAP but with the numbers in front of me. Why would they accept something worse? The only reason they would accept the Qatari bid would be if it were way better then Jims so it would make sense to leave right now and cash in? But that doesn´t seem to be the case right now.

Who knows but my gut says it's not a good sign as far as a sale goes.

If either bid was really good the Preferred bidder likely would have been picked by now I would have thought
Has Jackson been any more reliable than other 'mainstream' journalists on the United beat re. this sale?

To clarify, Pep is the main reason they are so much more successful than MUFC over the last decade. This is not just because they've spent much more money than MUFC.

Obviously they wouldn't be anywhere near where they are now if they spent within their means. They're a small club. Manchester United are not a small club. We just need to spend our money more wisely. Not spend more money.

I mean it kind of is. We've only spent when players have needed replaced, look at 17/18 we finish second, rather than push on and try to catch city, all we do is buy Fred. This January rather than back ten hag we have to settle for weghorst.

City at the start of the decade had zabaleta, kompany, toure, aguero, Silva and fernandinho.

We didn't have a single position that didn't need replaced. The fact that they've spent the same amount as us, and that's ignoring that we get charged the united tax, isn't reflected on field because they already had a title challenging side, we had to replace literally every position on the field. It would be like looking at real Madrid in 2013 and saying we'll since then their net spend was low ignoring that they already had ramos, Ronaldo, Bale, modric, pepe, Marcelo etc.

Looking at the presale market MUFC is going to drop by around 5% when the exchange opens so the market isn’t liking these SJR rumours.

Obviously the market has very different motivations to fans though.

I’d bet a sizeable amount of money that City have paid more than we know about for players. There’s no way a club with their resources gets away with the fees they supposedly pay for players, yet we get a massive tax on anyone we buy. Especially considering all their underhand financials that we already know about.
Yes there's this too.

Our crazy spending is catching up with us. We still owe loads of money to other clubs, whereas City start every transfer window with a clean slate.

It’s unlimited money (one CB/FB doesn’t work out, let’s buy another, let’s just buy Grealish for 100 mil, etc.) + Pep.
Mancini and Pellegrini won 2 titles in 3 years after all (yes, if people start counting the years from 2008 when they were crap then I can also be selective and take the 3 years in which they won 2 titles with two different managers). The first title after a long time is always the most difficult one.

Klopp or even Mancini with the same time and money probably would have won 1-2 league titles less than Pep, but I am also convinced they would have won at least 1 CL already.

And why should we look at Arsenal or Liverpool? Liverpool despite a world class manager have only won 1 league + 1 CL in 7-8 years and they even have jo-jo seasons, look at them this season. Yes it’s much better than what we have done in the same time period, but let’s take Fergie‘s last 5 years when the club started spending like a mid table club on 2nd rate players. We still won 3 titles in 5 years. And folks still wanted more/weren’t completely satisfied. With a world class manager you do want more than just 1 league title in 7 years.

Arsenal? They will probably win nothing this season and it may very well be that they don’t challenge again anytime soon. A couple of injuries and title is gone because they don’t have the same quality on the bench City have.
I don’t think United fans want this. They want City like success.
I don’t want Qatar and I am hoping that with a Fergie like manager, a good board and our organic spending power we can match their success. May not be that realistic but I would be fine even with some less success if it meant no Qatar.

However the Qatar fans are putting all their eggs in Abu Dhabi‘s basket. They are assuming that just like them our new owners would do similar (board structure, great manager planning and selection, spending unlimited money). And that doesn’t even take all the cheating into account. However there’s absolutely no guarantee that this would be the case. SJR could turn out to be a bad owner, but so could Qatar. We won’t automatically turn into Abu Dhabi.

To clarify, Pep is the main reason they are so much more successful than MUFC over the last decade. The main reason is not just because they've spent much more money than MUFC (turns out our net spend is higher anyway!).

Actually the main reason is Txiki Begiristain and the structure at City above Pep, who allowed him to immediately fix mistakes he made in the market e.g (Mangala, Danilo, Stones at first etc)
Who also didn't tie his hands whenever he needed to replace players (like we did to Jose after his finished second in 17/18) due to debt and dividend payments

We actually have a good manager now in Ten Hag, we need to fix what is above him and remove things that can hamper the squad building (debt)

Maybe some fans want the oil money, I actually think the majority want a debt free Manchester United and owners who will go and hire the best in class in the management structure

That is not to mention the obvious investment the club needs in its infrastructure and facilities (again which preferably doesn't come at a cost of debt against the club at the level that could hamper success)

Last edited:
I’m not trying to argue what City would/wouldn’t look like without their oil money. I’m trying to argue that - for Manchester United - we don’t need oil money to be successful. So long as we hire the right manager. If Guardiola had joined United and been provided the same funds that United managers have had over the last decade (with the right football structures around him) there’s every chance the fortunes of the two clubs would have been reversed. We don’t need to join them to beat them. We’re better than that.
It depends what you want to call as success. If its a couple of title challenges, 1 PL or CL every 3-4 years, yes that can be achieved with astute management and the club’s current financial capacity (assuming the right man is given sufficient time to build the squad up).

If its sustained success with title challenges / trophies every season consistently (like what City are doing), then that ship sailed 10 years back. Had we used our financial strength to invest effectively in the right players and infrastructure, we would have achieved far greater sporting success, and as a result, would be in a far stronger financial position. Last 10 years of wastage means we are in huge debt, with infrastructure that needs investment, squad that needs investment, and our non-broadcast revenue has stagnated because we are not able to attract/ acquire fans/ ‘customers’ at the same rate as our rivals. The impact of the loss of fan equity will be felt for many years to come. We are in critical need of cash influx, irrespective of the source - oil money or not.

Actually the main reason is Txiki Begiristain and the structure at City above Pep, who allowed him to immediately fix mistakes he made in the market e.g (Mangala, Danilo, Stones at first etc)
Who also didn't tie his hands whenever he needed to replace players (like we did to Jose after his finished second in 17/18) due to debt and dividend payments

Meh. Six of one. Half a dozen of the other. They work well together, which is the main thing. And fits with my point anyway. The key to becoming as good as City is not just to match their spending. We've been doing that for the last decade anyway.

8 pages since this morning a still nothing has progressed? I worry about some of you

PSG -> had no competition in the league in terms of spending money (not sure of the exact numbers but wasn't it like transfer fees more than 90% of the league combined, and wages more than 70% of the league combined) and attracting players, no real FFP limits till the last few years
Nice -> spending within FFP limits, already competition in the league in terms of attracting players
So yeah, same conditions to compare them fairly. Ok.
Nice are 8th?

I’m sure it is a case already made but I doubt that the main goal of buying Nice or Lausanne was to make them challenge more than they have previously. Sure, they probably could have done a lot better, but that is not the point.

Ineos end game, considering what they have done in other sports, would probably have been a club like Man Utd. A multi club model with a flagship fronting the project. They just started in the other end buying clubs able to support that flagship. If that was the case, and I think that is likely, it would be hard to assess the project prior to them getting the flagship.

While I get the hate for Ratcliffe/Ineos I find such a project a lot more exciting than what we have going. And I think there could be alot of synergies in it. I think Lausanne and Nice could benefit greatly from it. And I think Man Utd could aswell.

Man Utd and Nice would have a good place to send some of their young talents that need game time, and Nice/Lausanne would be better able to recruit young talents from Europe than Man Utd (thanks to Brexit). I’m not sure if Nice would be interesting to teenagers in the mould of Pogba and Garnacho, but Nice, as part of a group including Man Utd, probably would.

These are billionaires.. surely they arent waiting everyday hoping to hear about a decision..

They must know behind the scenes when a decision will be made... the only thing is, it hasn't leaked yet.. Hopefully its soon..

Anyone know how long it takes for the FA/League to approve the takeover .. how long will that process take after a bid is accepted?

Meh. Six of one. Half a dozen of the other. They work well together, which is the main thing. And fits with my point anyway. The key to becoming as good as City is not just to match their spending. We've been doing that for the last decade anyway.

The structure is way more important and is the reason why City won 2 titles in 3 years before Pep got there

As to the point, yes I don't think anyone would disagree with that. I think the main issue is that you assume people prefer Qatar over Ineos due to oil money, when in fact there are multiple reasons.

Yes. Pellegrini is an excellent and much underrated manager.
Only silverware he’s ever won was at City.
It’s not even the money spent on transfers, they spent that much and built a brand spanking new training ground facility and many millions on upgrading the Etihad already never mind the 350m it plans to spend on further upgrades in the near future. Facts are we shouldn’t have spent the money we did. We ignored the bills at home to spend our wages at the weekend and we have suffered for it because the bills that should have been paid have now piled up.
City Don’t have that problem and never will. Plus the 100 odd charges of financial fraud they committed along the way

This is a great point, leadership starts from the top, it’s not always about money and buying the best players. Newcastle turnover is £179m and they can’t really move in the Transfer market the way they want to because they need Champions League football first, so they’ve recruited smartly.

Eventually in 2 or 3 years, they will have a huge turnover of £500m with CL football every season and probably a 70,000 seater stadium sold out. If Eddie Howe can’t compete for CL, Fa Cup and PL trophies they will simply sack him and get a new coach without any sentiment whatsoever!

Their Owners demand success, that’s filtered down through the relevant line management structure, The Glazers and SJR have the same type of laissez fair attitude where ‘Wining is not at all costs’

SJR is probably as wealthy as Roman Abrahamovic, maybe even richer but wealth doesn’t guarantee success in football, Abrahamovic loved Chelsea and he only wanted to win, not take part, not take dividends, not say look at me I’ve built a great football team in London, No he only wanted to win, and everyone he employed bought into his wining culture or he sacked them, to go from that to Todd Boehly is why they are suffering so much right now. The yanks don’t want to win at all costs, listening to them In the World Cup, they just don’t get jeopardy or even when they go out, they’ll look at the stats they to show a different Perspective and talk about how they and not Canada are the best team
I’m that continent.

To go from the Glazers to SJR won’t be nearly as bad however, don’t expect miracles, maybe United is in SJR’s blood and he will want to win at any costs the moment he starts his tenure if his bid is accepted, personally I think this is all brinkmanship and it’s still not decided who the preferred bidder is because the Glazers want more cash and they will wait till they get it ?

What is Nice's turnover i'd suggest probably not even third of Newcastle's its such a bad comparison, the relative strength of the PL compared to Ligue Un is like comparing apples and oranges to point this out further Newcastle's yearly turnover could buy Nice almost x2 they are building a team in a vastly different market, its easier to buy a Botman fully created by someone else than to buy a Botman and develop them otherwise everyone would be doing it.

So has Jim won?

And what club will fairweathers like Crossy be supporting next?

What is Nice's turnover i'd suggest probably not even third of Newcastle's its such a bad comparison, the relative strength of the PL compared to Ligue Un is like comparing apples and oranges to point this out further Newcastle's yearly turnover could buy Nice almost x2 they are building a team in a vastly different market, its easier to buy a Botman fully created by someone else than to buy a Botman and develop them otherwise everyone would be doing it.

Nices wage bill is in line with their league performance which is often the best point of reference for how well a club should be doing.

The glazers don’t care about us or the club so they’ll sell to the less popular choice. Sheikh even said they’ll clear the debt for us. Not sure what to think of Ratcliffe but can he really help us compete with city?

Stocks open at $18.87, 7% on last nights close. Market isn't happy at the reports.

Only silverware he’s ever won was at City.
It’s not even the money spent on transfers, they spent that much and built a brand spanking new training ground facility and many millions on upgrading the Etihad already never mind the 350m it plans to spend on further upgrades in the near future. Facts are we shouldn’t have spent the money we did. We ignored the bills at home to spend our wages at the weekend and we have suffered for it because the bills that should have been paid have now piled up.
City Don’t have that problem and never will. Plus the 100 odd charges of financial fraud they committed along the way

Good post, looking at it from just known transfer fees is simply wrong.

The glazers don’t care about us or the club so they’ll sell to the less popular choice. Sheikh even said they’ll clear the debt for us. Not sure what to think of Ratcliffe but can he really help us compete with city?
Depends what he wants as his legacy. That was why I made a crack about him naming stand/stadium after himself. Is it that or wants us back at the top. Only he knows what his motives are. It is getting the right people in place, without that it will all just be empty words. If either make promises they don't keep the fanbase will not stand for it. We have been led down the garden path for too long.

They shouldn't give a feck about the fans' wishes even if they cared about the club.

Anyone else think it's interesting that the Athletic is suddenly pushing positive pieces on Richard Arnold? Possibly briefed to try and get the new owner to believe Arnold is worth keeping? I have said it a few times but it does really feel like the end of the process is approaching now.

Status
Not open for further replies.