Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why anyone took offence anyway. The way I see it, if something as drastic as the club plunging down the divisions happened some day in the future, the fans you can absolutely guarantee sticking by the club, are those that you describe.

Spot on.

My dad maintains that aside from 99 and 93, watching United in the second division in 74/75 was his best time watching United. Relegation reinvigorated the club after it stagnated after the European Cup win in 68.

World record fee for a sport club does not look good? Are you being serious?

Very.

Calling it a world record bid is like saying Chelsea were sold for £4.5bn...

They weren't.

I get people don't like it, but after all the blister and bravado it just seems a bit lacklustre.

Did anyone work out what the “paying off the debt” part of Qataris offer meant since I was last here?

Some are saying it means Glazers get 69% of the £5bn+, PLUS the Qatari owner will pay off their remaining debts (probably close to £1bn worth) - which would be a ridiculously good deal for the Glazers

Others seem to think the Glazers wouldn’t be liable for the debts they put into United when they leave anyway…

Can you answer the question I asked? If you were Glazers out and the reason was so that the debt would be gone, what were you expecting?

For me, I'd be quite happy with someone who simply allowed the club to run off its own substantial means.

Others don't believe that's enough.

You don’t see offering twice the market share a great offer, the only reason the shares peaked at $27 was the market got excited about Qatar who had the money being thought to be a dead cert to buy the club in a financial shoot out. SJ and Qatar was courted all through the World cup with the Glazers overplaying their hand and disregarding the club debt and the recent financial performances with yo yo champions league participation. If this was Sir Alex Ferguson team of 2009-13 teleported In time to 2023 with a smaller debt of £250m they may have received a nod for £6.5/8bn.

Let’s assume just for a second, the Glazers say no to all bids and carry on as they are now with an agreement from a VC to lend them just £1bn to refurbish the Stadium to 88,000, invest in Carrington and the squad.

They try and appease the fan base by using the credit card line and spend £200m on new players after selling £100m of players.

Their record of managing Englands premier football club is to spend money get CL, then don’t spend money, manager fails in EL then sack the manager, get a new manager , take dividends, cycle continues,

Until eventually it Doesn’t and the club starts to default on payments then all of a sudden your share value plummets, VC sharks come in and offer you $5 per share just to settle your debts so you can keep you some form of vanity control. All of sudden that offer on the 28th April looks like an incredible offer, a world record offer for a sports club.

Well said. Everyone in this thread has been needlessly talking in circles for months. The Glazers frankly have to sell because of their debt service but have been, predictably, trying to create as much leverage as they could with partial sell bids and threats to stay on without any sale. The Club’s books clearly show this.

Bidders pretty much know this as well, which is why the bids aren’t going to go insane. A full sale will happen with the best bid in the end. Period.

If that Qatar bid delivers only 3.5bn to the Glazers, I cannot see it working. It is indeed a world record bid given the full club valuation but it'd be pretty amateur if Qatar have valued the Glazer shares the same as the ones being traded publicly on the stock exchange.

They may well have done that but I just don't see the rats accepting. Then there's the question of the Ratcliffe valuation because that's even less clear.

For me, I'd be quite happy with someone who simply allowed the club to run off its own substantial means.

Others don't believe that's enough.
Who is the mythical owner looking to invest 6 billion to not make money? You want a unicorn.

Simply going off what is in the tweets. The only relevant figure is the £3.45bn to the Glazer family.

Considering there's been page after page regarding the Qatar bid being nearly $1bn per Glazer... This would come someway short. Hence is not being all that impressive from the purely greed oriented Glazer POV.

And given that back in March, Ratcliffes bod for 69% of the club was being reported as over £4bn, then it appears to be a bit weird.

This is only going off what's being reported, which likely isn't accurate, but after all the fanfare and chest beating, it seems a bit meh...

SJR bid was £4bn for 100% of the club but he only wished to buy and finance controlling shares, which would have been £2.76bn or $3.5bn. At the time the club shares were about $18 and the market cap $2.9bn so the Glazers voting shares were worth about $2bn so he was offering a huge premium to sell their shares and take control, he had no intention of buying the rest of the club, he just wanted control.

As the process continues through the 3 phases the shares have peaked at $27 and are now down at $20.05 so the new market cap today is $3.27bn and 69% of that $2.58 billion with a much rumoured bid of £5.1-5.2bn that means the bid $6.53bn and 69% would be $4.49bn or nearly twice the market cap, basically $40 per share.

Why can't it be both? Sir Matt Busby and Jimmy Murphy wanted the club to take on the world but they also wanted it to be a badge of honour for the factory workers of Salford and Manchester.

Busby also hated the greed that was developing in the game in the mid 80s.

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/big-ron-sir-matt-left-man-utd-over-robson-deal-4019348

The idea that some have suggested that a Qatari takeover would somehow have been almost a final step in his quest for United is absurd.

You are right.
The fact is the game itself has been taken over by money. Its not just United.
The City comparisons though are ill thought out.
We are not in their situation.

The key question though is why do Qatar want to buy the club.
Not for investment purposes. They don't need the money.
These people think their wealth gives them legitimacy.
They are scum.

But we cannot control what is happening.

We have a choice. Continue supporting the club or leave.

Personally it is sad that future generations will not see what we have seen.
Everything will be tainted in some way.

You don’t see offering twice the market share a great offer, the only reason the shares peaked at $27 was the market got excited about Qatar who had the money being thought to be a dead cert to buy the club in a financial shoot out. SJ and Qatar was courted all through the World cup with the Glazers overplaying their hand and disregarding the club debt and the recent financial performances with yo yo champions league participation. If this was Sir Alex Ferguson team of 2009-13 teleported In time to 2023 with a smaller debt of £250m they may have received a bid for £6.5/8bn.

Let’s assume just for a second, the Glazers say no to all bids and carry on as they are now with an agreement from a VC to lend them just £1bn to refurbish the Stadium to 88,000, invest in Carrington and the squad.

They try and appease the fan base by using the credit card line and spend £200m on new players after selling £100m of players.

Their record of managing Englands premier football club is to spend money get CL, then don’t spend money, manager fails in EL then sack the manager, get a new manager , take dividends, cycle continues,

Until eventually it Doesn’t and the club starts to default on payments then all of a sudden your share value plummets, VC sharks come in and offer you $5 per share just to settle your debts so you can keep some form of vanity control. All of sudden that offer on the 28th April looks like an incredible offer, a world record offer for a sports club.

Don't get me wrong, the offer is far more than they deserve but unfortunately that's not how this works.

The only figure I am taking into consideration is the figure that the Glazers would bank.

You are right.
The fact is the game itself has been taken over by money. Its not just United.
The City comparisons though are ill thought out.
We are not in their situation.

The key question though is why do Qatar want to buy the club.
Not for investment purposes. They don't need the money.
These people think their wealth gives them legitimacy.
They are scum.

But we cannot control what is happening.

We have a choice. Continue supporting the club or leave.

Personally it is sad that future generations will not see what we have seen.
Everything will be tainted in some way.

I do agree somewhat but the moral issue is something we have accepted in football for years, Qatar world cup, tours of unsavoury nation's, clubs taken over by oil states, everything monitized and prices going through the roof and unaffordable to many working class people.

The soul of football has been sold many times in the last 20/30 years and the fans have been brainwashed into money being more important than trophies

We(football fans everywhere) celebrate a top 4 position over winning the FA cup FFS and it goes further that arsenal for example where getting the piss taken out of them for winning the FA cup.

Then fans need to accept the situation for what it is, a soulless cash injection by a questionable source. We'll be no better than City and people can scream cheating but the judgement of City being plastic predates the accusations.

When your owner is covering substantial costs the club would otherwise pay then its not 'within our means'. We'll be exactly what we all hated City and Chelsea for being.
It would be INEOS that decides whether the Glazers and other minority stakeholders can receive dividends or not (and how much), unless the Glazers negotiate this particular issue into the whole deal itself.
I fear the INEOS bid more now

Based on this post it doesn't look great.

£3.45bn to the Glazers? The rest made up of the debt and investment, both of which are irrelevant to the actual sale.

Thats £575million per Glazer, which of course is more than they will ever deserve but doesn't seem likely to convince the more resistant ones to budge.

Before someone starts whining about the debt, I am not saying it is irrelevant, only that as far as the sale goes, the Glazers won't care about it, there sole interest is what is on it for them. Debt, investment and the rest mean nothing to them.

Of course, this is only going off what is being reported, which we all know to be wary of butas it's all we have to go off, I don't see why there's any fanfare over it, nor why it's being reported as a world record bid, when as is clearly stated, it's £3.45bn for 69% of the club and even with the £600mn debt figure, it's just over £4bn.

Roughly £180 million profit for every year they have owned United, a club that they never had any right to own, who have gone on to financailly abuse in every possible way, and will be basically leaving behind an infrastructure exactly as they found it.

This is jackpot time for them, the stuff of dreams.

If they reject this because they don't think it's enough for their greedy sticky little mits, then I really hope all hell breaks loose for them.

But that not what I said.
Ok, the Glazers do what you say. Do you believe it is realistic that an investor other than a state such as Qatar pays the sum they want and then clears the debt? What has happened in practise says no. You’re back to chasing a unicorn.

SJR bid was £4bn for 100% of the club but he only wished to buy and finance controlling shares, which would have been £2.76bn or $3.5bn. At the time the club shares were about $18 and the market cap $2.9bn so the Glazers voting shares were worth about $2bn so he was offering a huge premium to sell their shares and take control, he had no intention of buying the rest of the club, he just wanted control.

As the process continues through the 3 phases the shares have peaked at $27 and are now down at $20.05 so the new market cap today is $3.27bn and 69% of that $2.58 billion with a much rumoured bid of £5.1-5.2bn that means the bid $6.53bn and 69% would be $4.49bn or nearly twice the market cap, basically $40 per share.

By any chance do you have any links to reports of the breakdown of Ratcliffes bids? The details seem to be far less readily available than the Qatari bids.

Thanks for the breakdown though.

I get that the glazers lose control in both scenarios but I think Jim’s bid is worryingly silent on so many important things.
1. What happens to the existing debt.
2. Would the club still be servicing the legacy and new debts in any form
3. Is Ratcliffe/INEOS going to pump the required
capital for infrastructure development?
4. Would we ever catch City under Ratcliffe/Glazers ownership?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't the bidders been told not to say too much? Their plans for the club don't really matter in reality unless they win the bidding war. That's why Qatar's PR has been totally useless in my opinion, since the Glazers won't care about what the fans want.

Roughly £180 million profit for every year they have owned United, a club that they never had any right to own, who have gone on to financailly abuse in every possible way, and will be basically leaving behind an infrastructure exactly as they found it.

If they reject this because they don't think it's enough for their greedy sticky little mits, then I really hope all hell breaks loose for them.

We're talking about money oriented parasites who value their share of the club far above what's being offered and two of them think it could almost double in value in years to come.

Not sure why suddenly people have decided that this isn't who the Glazers are based on this bid.

Ben Jacobs had just spoken with gong man Sam. Basically according to him

a- Jassim's offer might be better, equal or worse then that of SJR
b- SJR might or might keep the Glazers in place
c- The Glazers might go for Jassim, SJR, a minority stake or go solo
d- One of the buyers might or might ask a private equity for help

I do agree somewhat but the moral issue is something we have accepted in football for years, Qatar world cup, tours of unsavoury nation's, clubs taken over by oil states, everything monitized and prices going through the roof and unaffordable to many working class people.

The soul of football has been sold many times in the last 20/30 years and the fans have been brainwashed into money being more important than trophies

We(football fans everywhere) celebrate a top 4 position over winning the FA cup FFS and it goes further that arsenal for example where getting the piss taken out of them for winning the FA cup.

The fact is if the FA had done its due diligence the Glazers could not have bought the club.
The fact they changed the rules after the fact proves that.

City will be relegated in all probability. So that is not the issue.

We taking the piss out of Arsenal is just fan rivalry.

But as I said it is all water under the bridge.

If that Qatar bid delivers only 3.5bn to the Glazers, I cannot see it working. It is indeed a world record bid given the full club valuation but it'd be pretty amateur if Qatar have valued the Glazer shares the same as the ones being traded publicly on the stock exchange.

They may well have done that but I just don't see the rats accepting. Then there's the question of the Ratcliffe valuation because that's even less clear.

That’s not the case the shares are valued at $20.05 with a market cap of $3.27bn for 100% of the club, thus is that united should be valued at right now with our huge debt and inconsistent record on the playing field in the last 10 years.

SJ through his 92 Foundation is offering £5.1/5.2bn for 100% sale for the club which is $6.53bn, twice the market cap of $3.27bn Therefore the Glazers are getting $40 per share for all their A and B shares and 69% of $6.53bn is $4.5 billion for all 6 of them to sell their shares, remind me again what money any of them invested or bought the club with, they inherited the club on a leveraged buy out, only Daddy Malcolm put in any money £270m, not one of these parasitic goblins has put 1 cent into the club but they’ve collectively taken out over £1 billion out in dividends, management fees, salaries, Interest, shares being cashed in for personal benefit and not reinvested in the club.

Ok, the Glazers do what you say. Do you believe it is realistic that an investor other than a state such as Qatar pays the sum they want and then clears the debt? What has happened in practise says no. You’re back to chasing a unicorn.

Well given there has been a comparable bid for the club, but no commitment either way for investment or debt (due to not being able to disclose details of the bids) then we don't really know.

All we have, and again, people won't like it, is some complete no mark who has had every single thing he has, handed to him on a plate, using a handful of frankly questionable sports journalists and even worse, some absolute clowns on Twitter, making a bunch of claims which... As far as I can see, never actually materialise.

So please, do excuse my scepticism. Even that is based on taking the enormous leap and believing Jassim isn't just a front man for the Qatari State, which of course, we all know he is and therefore we are already starting off on a lie with them.

But again, if people are happy to accept that, more power to them.

Covering every single base I see :lol:

If there's any justice, the deal will fall through because of their greed and the fans finally rise in unison to make it so difficult for them that they are forced into selling on the cheap.

The fact is if the FA had done its due diligence the Glazers could not have bought the club.

City being relegated could be one of the greatest days in the history of English football. A potential watershed moment, that would change the game for the better.

If the League has the balls to do it, I would hope they'd go further and put in place protections to remove the disease of State ownership from the game in this country. Just imagine it.

We're talking about money oriented parasites who value their share of the club far above what's being offered and two of them think it could almost double in value in years to come.

Not sure why suddenly people have decided that this isn't who the Glazers are based on this bid.

They are the ones who decided they want to go down this road, and put the club up for sale, and we also all know why.

Well now they have an incredible offer on the table, one that they do not deserve to have, so take it.

£6 billion is too much, and they have no right to ask for this, but we all know that you set a price higher than you think something is worth so you end up getting to price you actually want, which hopefully is what's going in here.

City being relegated could be one of the greatest days in the history of English football. A potential watershed moment, that would change the game for the better.

If the League has the balls to do it, I would hope they'd go further and put in place protections to remove the disease of State ownership from the game in this country. Just imagine it.

I believe that the majority of clubs have voted to prevent future State ownerships. Though it is not retroactive.
The City situation should not have been tolerated so long.
But better late than never.

That’s not the case the shares are valued at $20.05 with a market cap of $3.27bn for 100% of the club, thus is that united should be valued at right now with our huge debt and inconsistent record on the playing field in the last 10 years.

SJ through his 92 Foundation is offering £5.1/5.2bn for 100% sale for the club which is $6.53bn, twice the market cap of $3.27bn Therefore the Glazers are getting $40 per share for all their A and B shares and 69% of $6.53bn is $4.5 billion for all 6 of them to sell their shares, remind me again what money any of them invested or bought the club with, they inherited the club on a leveraged buy out, only Daddy Malcolm put in any money £270m, not one of these parasitic goblins has put 1 cent into the club but they’ve collectively taken out over £1 billion out in dividends, management fees, salaries, Interest, shares being cashed in for personal benefit and not reinvested in the club.

What you are saying is technically correct and I detest the Glazers as much as anyone but using the open market valuation is a bit of a red herring to me (I remember you had a background in finance, so feel free to disagree).

Why do I think that? Because whatever Qatar offers/the Glazers get for United, the public stock price will catch up to eventually. Just like how it works in takeovers where the premium (around 20/30%) gets priced in due course. That's why the stock rose up from doldrums in the first place after so many years of mismanagement.

If the offer was $7bn for the whole club but most of this went to the Glazers, then I can see it being successful. So something like $55/share for the Glazer shares and $25/share for the open market shares makes more sense to me. That gets you to $25x50m + $55x110m for overall valuation of just over $7bn. Obviously, this not including debt is also outrageous but the Glazers just don't care.

Investment and other stuff like that is completely irrelevant to the greedy leeches, unless fan pressure counts for anything with the Glazers (it hasn't so far) or the government applies a bit of pressure in anticipation of the Qatari investment.

Well given there has been a comparable bid for the club, but no commitment either way for investment or debt (due to not being able to disclose details of the bids) then we don't really know.

All we have, and again, people won't like it, is some complete no mark who has had every single thing he has, handed to him on a plate, using a handful of frankly questionable sports journalists and even worse, some absolute clowns on Twitter, making a bunch of claims which... As far as I can see, never actually materialise.

So please, do excuse my scepticism. Even that is based on taking the enormous leap and believing Jassim isn't just a front man for the Qatari State, which of course, we all know he is and therefore we are already starting off on a lie with them.

But again, if people are happy to accept that, more power to them.
But Ratcliffe did disclose details of his initial bid and it was very carefully worded regarding the debt. No ‘fresh’ debt. Anybody with a critical mind can see that for what it is.

If anyone who thinks City will get relegated and everyone will get a fair crack at competing for the PL is delusional btw.

Some of you people live firmly with your head in the sand.

But Ratcliffe did disclose details of his initial bid and it was very carefully worded regarding the debt. No ‘fresh’ debt. Anybody with a critical mind can see that for what it is.
That clearly means that "old" dept will stay. On the other hand all stories regarding Qatari bid say that they WILL clear the dept. But again, Jassim didn't (i think) said it in his statement.

You said

Which implies our success was build on money, which it wasn't.

When Busby joined the club we weren't able to outspend other clubs, the stadium was in ruins from being bombed out in the second world war and we had to pay City to play at Maine Road until 1949. Busby's success was based on his own genius and idea to develop their own players in the club rather than buy in. He did spend money when he needed to, but his success was in no way built on that.

When Sir Alex joined the club in 86 he did spend money, initially without much success, but his first great side contained Giggs, Hughes and Sharpe (OK signed from Torquay but as a youngster), and every subsequent great side was built on a core of players developed by the clubs academy.

We have always spent the money the club has generated from it's own success, but we've never spent the most and our success has never been built on it.

I didn't mention busby that was a different time and even he spent a record fee to get Dennis Law to utd. Our success was built on spending big money its not the only thing but it is a substantial part of it, are you really trying to say it wasn't? Yes Giggs and other class of 92 were important for our dominance in 90's, you know who else were Gary Pallister, Roy Keane and Andy Cole all of them british record signings when signed for utd. Same for 2000's, we wouldn't have had the success we had without likes of Rio Berba or rooney, 2 of those 3 record signings. Are people really trying to rewrite history and imagine us being leicester of 90's and 2000's? We had money and we spent it well, thats why we won things and the players we developed stuck around because we could pay well and win trophies.

If anyone who thinks City will get relegated and everyone will get a fair crack at competing for the PL is delusional btw.

Some of you people live firmly with your head in the sand.
Not relegated but IF they will be found guilty then they will get point deduction.

What happened to all the Jim Ratcliffe fans who insisted he was just a local lad who loved the club and wanted to save us all?

If the whole buying Chelsea fiasco wasn't proof enough that this is strictly a business investment for him, then offering the Glazers a chance to stay surely seals the deal. It goes against everything his people have fed United fans for the last few months.

The guy isn't stupid, he hasn't got to where he is by following his heart. He knows Man United is a titan when it comes to sports franchises and if he can just get his grubby hands on it now, by whatever means necessary, he can reap the rewards later.
I remember when he wanted to put the “Manchester” back into Manchester United, but now he wants a little bit of American scrubs still on the side.

Malcolm Glazer was prohibited from buying an American sports team by way of a leveraged buyout but there were no such laws in place in the UK.
Remember when Sky wanted to buy us? The government of the day was bloody fast enough then to put the kibosh on that deal but they were happy enough to see a major club like United shoulder the debt of a carpetbagger like Glazer? It still beggars belief and it has been years since it happened.

Do you think City will be demoted? I honestly can't see it.

Funny then that those critical minds seem to lose that ability when it comes to other bids.

Its unbelievable people still trust journos on this, they haven't even been able to clarify with any certainty if the offers being made are 5bn for the whole club or 5bn for the glazer's share.

Status
Not open for further replies.