Club ownership | Senior management team talk

Maybe they are worried that an interim would do an even worse job, but I cannot see how. If the season is a write off, might as well throw the dice and get a replacement in now.

No they didn’t. They simply triggered the +1 extension.
That's true, but a technicality that doesn't matter for this argument. Fact is EtH got rewarded for finishing 8th and that makes him INEOS' choice now.

I hope they are reaching out to managers behind the scenes. Doesn't matter if we have to wait till the summer.

Give it to Ruud for the rest of this year.

Surely can’t be happy with the level that we’re at? We can’t allow our standards to slip to this.

Surely for thier "vision" we need to be getting CL this season? I don't see that happening if they leave things they are too much longer. Simply chucking another campaign firmly in the bin.

Standards are in the bin. 12th in the league, 21st in the EL table, 4 wins this season. Struggle to score goals or impose ourselves in any way on the opposition. I cannot fathom how he is still here. I watched the Barca v Bayern game, and the difference in quality between Barca and ourselves is incredible, given the two performances we had against them 18 months or so ago. We have went about 20 steps back. If he stays the season is a write off, and may as well expect absolutely nowt from the season.

I don’t know how they can claim to want to return Utd to the top yet continue to tread water with ETH. Just doesn’t make sense.
Except if they are planning the next manager being a number 1 choice and not just who is available.

Fact is EtH got rewarded for finishing 8th and that makes him INEOS' choice now.
Was it really a reward? If it was then it was because of the cup win, to suggest it has anything to do with league form is disingenuous.

Alternatively, I think INEOS looked at who was available and decided that ETH was the best option at that point. We know they interviewed potential replacements and ultimately stuck with Erik, so having undermined his position somewhat the extension was triggered as a show of support.
INEOS have also overhauled the backroom staff in support of Erik, so now he has nowhere to hide and no excuses. If he isn’t fired before, and we aren’t successful this season then there is every chance he goes next summer.

Surely for thier "vision" we need to be getting CL this season? I don't see that happening if they leave things they are too much longer. Simply chucking another campaign firmly in the bin.

The likelihood is that 5th will get Champions League football this season too, so plenty of time to turn things round if they act swiftly.

Was it really a reward? If it was then it was because of the cup win, to suggest it has anything to do with league form is disingenuous.

Alternatively, I think INEOS looked at who was available and decided that ETH was the best option at that point. We know they interviewed potential replacements and ultimately stuck with Erik, so having undermined his position somewhat the extension was triggered as a show of support.
INEOS have also overhauled the backroom staff in support of Erik, so now he has nowhere to hide and no excuses. If he isn’t fired before, and we aren’t successful this season then there is every chance he goes next summer.
Well yes, of course last season resulted in an FA cup win, 8th place in the PL and an CL group stage exit and he got the extension after all of that, you are obviously right. But what matters to me (and you agree here) is that INEOS decided to keep EtH and support him further, which makes him their choice now.

If they decided in the summer EtH is better than alternatives it makes EtH effectively their choice

Well yes, of course last season resulted in an FA cup win, 8th place in the PL and an CL group stage exit and he got the extension after all of that, you are obviously right. But what matters to me (and you agree here) is that INEOS decided to keep EtH and support him further, which makes him their choice now.
Correct.

I really do think it’s a case of giving him this year with their full support before evaluating. We’ve all heard their reasoning about him not having an ideal situation in which to succeed before INEOS came in. It’s still very early in their reign, and people are acting like it’s end of days.

Correct.

I really do think it’s a case of giving him this year with their full support before evaluating. We’ve all heard their reasoning about him not having an ideal situation in which to succeed before INEOS came in. It’s still very early in their reign, and people are acting like it’s end of days.
I like you as a poster man so this isn't mean with any sarcasm or or anything, but do you honestly agree with him getting the full year?

I wanted him sacked after the cup final, as last year was dire. But I have tried hard to give him time as the management structure kept him after evaluating others. But it's getting worse and worse. I've already mentioned the stats RE wins, goals and how poor we are performing. The games are boring AF, we barely threaten, we never actively try and win games as far as I can see, and Onana is basically keeping us in a lot of games. I don't see an identifiable way of playing, or a structure to the team that is actually going to get us anywhere. Plus, his man management and squad decisions are shocking. I get the made a decision on him so that is their responsibility, but the longer they take to act upon this then the more likely this season is just a waste of time. I can't keep going on like a broken record, but I cannot fathom keeping him. It's hurting the team and club far more than admitting it was a mistake and changing now, even for the short term.

I like you as a poster man so this isn't mean with any sarcasm or or anything, but do you honestly agree with him getting the full year?

I wanted him sacked after the cup final, as last year was dire. But I have tried hard to give him time as the management structure kept him after evaluating others. But it's getting worse and worse. I've already mentioned the stats RE wins, goals and how poor we are performing. The games are boring AF, we barely threaten, we never actively try and win games as far as I can see, and Onana is basically keeping us in a lot of games. I don't see an identifiable way of playing, or a structure to the team that is actually going to get us anywhere. Plus, his man management and squad decisions are shocking. I get the made a decision on him so that is their responsibility, but the longer they take to act upon this then the more likely this season is just a waste of time. I can't keep going on like a broken record, but I cannot fathom keeping him. It's hurting the team and club far more than admitting it was a mistake and changing now, even for the short term.
I have advocated for Erik getting until the NY window previously and I would stick with that right now. The whole season may prove too far a stretch. He is clearly under the microscope, let’s see how he responds in the next month or two as players (LBs!!) come back to fitness and our new signings settle more.

I do believe this season was already written off before it started though. INEOS have decided to give Erik a bit of time and I think they are wedded to that process. They aren’t going to be knee-jerk like we have been previously.

They can’t even get us to win a game in Europe…
BBC R5 live were saying all our tough Europa fixtures were early in the season. We’ve two home games next, against PAOK and Bodo/Glimt then a game against Plzen. We should find 3pts in those games somewhere before a potential banana skin against Rangers in January?

Yeah you’re right, it’s not great…. :lol:

I have advocated for Erik getting until the NY window previously and I would stick with that right now. The whole season may prove too far a stretch. He is clearly under the microscope, let’s see how he responds in the next month or two as players (LBs!!) come back to fitness and our new signings settle more.

I do believe this season was already written off before it started though. INEOS have decided to give Erik a bit of time and I think they are wedded to that process. They aren’t going to be knee-jerk like we have been previously.
Yeah I have no idea what stage he would be gone at now, from their PoV. I was almost certain it was the last international break with the results, but him surviving that said to me they won't do it soon. But I really don't think that is correct, at all. I actually don't think we would have much of a difference with a LB playing (that's also a disaster but another topic). They might not be as knee jerk, but I can see us in the same position in a month's time, going into December, with maybe 1/2 wins and the rest draws and defeats and that being good enough to keep him.

I just feel the standards have been dropped so very low and there is no real desire to improve them.

In the summer, there was a lot of sensible posts saying it would take us 2/3/4 years to get us back to the top.

We're not even out of October in season one and people are already saying that INEOS have failed.

Patience everyone.

In the summer, there was a lot of sensible posts saying it would take us 2/3/4 years to get us back to the top.

We're not even out of October in season one and people are already saying that INEOS have failed.

Patience everyone.
Bloody hell we aren't asking for that the now, just some decent football that doesn't bore me to tears and actually looks like a competent performance once in a while. Dearie me, it's hardly asking them to move mountains.

Patience everyone.
Does that mean they should be absolved of any criticism for the first year?
We are a laughing stock to the football world. Oppo fans are singing in the streets because of our refusal to sack ETH

Patience everyone.
But we're going nowhere. Zero improvement. If we would see results and football improving, fine. But we are literally where we were 18 months or so ago. So for Ineos not to make a change is criminal.
They did very well until the start of the season imo, but it seems like they are messing up now big time with the delaying of taking the very obvious decision

Patience everyone.
Trouble is we're seemingly moving backwards under INEOS. Standards have already been nosediving and we're at a point where it's apparently acceptable for us to hold on to a manager that has us in the lower half of the table, winning one game in 7, and not won in Europe for over a year.

Except if they are planning the next manager being a number 1 choice and not just who is available.

You make it sound like this "number 1 choice" will take us to the promised land.
It doesn't work like that.
You can hire a number choice, wait a year for him to become available and when he arrives, he might be so bad, he too, will get fired. Moyes is a good example of this.

Every managerial appointment is someone who is the best person available.
On rare occasions, a manager is tapped up, but I do not believe that INEOS plan that far ahead. They are reactive, not proactive.
They will wait until we are in a really bad situation, then fire ETH and hire the best person available at the time.
There is no master plan, I guarantee it.

Had they been the type of people who plan, they'd have planned in Q1 2024, then in Summer 2024, they'd have replaced ETH. After winning the FA Cup final, they reacted and felt ETH should stay. Had ETH lost, he'd probably have been fired.

Every move INEOS make is reactive.

After months of "he is gonna get fired if he loses next game or next two", INEOS will turn around and fire him after some insignificant game that we didn't do well.

Bloody hell we aren't asking for that the now, just some decent football that doesn't bore me to tears and actually looks like a competent performance once in a while. Dearie me, it's hardly asking them to move mountains.
I'm not saying the football isn't bad.

My point is that people are saying INEOS have failed and we're only a few months into what we all acknowledged was going to be a long term rebuild.

Trouble is we're seemingly moving backwards under INEOS. Standards have already been nosediving and we're at a point where it's apparently acceptable for us to hold on to a manager that has us in the lower half of the table, winning one game in 7, and not won in Europe for over a year.
I'm no fan of INEOS or Ratcliffe but they're trying to restructure a club that's had no structure for over a a decade. Let's give them a season before we decide whether we have moved backwards

Correct.

IMO, they saw this as year 0 because they knew what had come before was so flawed it was impossible to judge anything.

They will be looking for the next manager now but until that manager becomes available, Ten Hag will stay.

Patience everyone.
We don’t need to wait 2/3/4 years to see that Erik has taken us as far as he can. The longer he stays now, the more damage is done. A new man could come in, do 2/3 of a season, get some new patterns and review the squad with them before the summer window

I'm no fan of INEOS or Ratcliffe but they're trying to restructure a club that's had no structure for over a a decade. Let's give them a season before we decide whether we have moved backwards
You can restructure to your heart's content, but the crux of everything lays on the pitch itself. We're currently in the process of enshitifying everything from a footballing perspective. Up until now we've been able to still attract big name players and managers on the back of our heritage and reputation from decades past, but that's going to be in further jeopardy the longer we persist in allowing Ten Hag to bring down the standard at the club.

Im not saying we're in danger of being the next Forest anytime soon, but it feels like INEOS so far are more concerned with being an efficiently run football club than a successful one.

You can restructure to your heart's content, but the crux of everything lays on the pitch itself. We're currently in the process of enshitifying everything from a footballing perspective. Up until now we've been able to still attract big name players and managers on the back of our heritage and reputation from decades past, but that's going to be in further jeopardy the longer we persist in allowing Ten Hag to bring down the standard at the club.

Im not saying we're in danger of being the next Forest anytime soon, but it feels like INEOS so far are more concerned with being an efficiently run football club than a successful one.

Well, our main plan since Fergie was to try and change the manager in hope that the next one gets things right on the pitch. That never really worked.

Maybe now INEOS are thinking that getting things sorted well behind the scenes is more important right now as that will give us the foundation that will allow the next manager to succeed.

They'll have to take Fergie's match day ticket away and kick his statue in the balls if we don't beat West Ham. That'll show they mean businesses.

Well, our main plan since Fergie was to try and change the manager in hope that the next one gets things right on the pitch. That never really worked.

Maybe now INEOS are thinking that getting things sorted well behind the scenes is more important right now as that will give us the foundation that will allow the next manager to succeed.
You can do the behind the scenes work without simultaneously allowing a failing manager to tank multiple seasons

You can do the behind the scenes work without simultaneously allowing a failing manager to tank multiple seasons

Yes, you can. But maybe those changes are needed in order for us to be able to find the right manager for us rather than just pick up the best available. And as for an interim manager, it didn't really help us with Rangnick, did it?

I don't know what INEOS's rational is, but I'm happy to give them some time to do things their way.

Yes, you can. But maybe those changes are needed in order for us to be able to find the right manager for us rather than just pick up the best available. And as for an interim manager, it didn't really help us with Rangnick, did it?

I don't know what INEOS's rational is, but I'm happy to give them some time to do things their way.
Dan Ashworth, our director of football, has been in role for 3 months. That is not enough time to put the pieces in place to select the ideal manager for the strategy. That is why ETH was retained - he is the interim.