Club ownership | Senior management team talk

Sorry I forgot you know everything and are always right..

Hint. You aren’t.
In terms of our interactions I know that im miles in the lead though so I'll take that.

Hint/Education: PSR/FFP doesn't decide what clubs are willing spend.

Ineos have fallen into the same trap as the Glazers and precious executives have. We need to stop looking the managerial position as this sacred thing that’s so painful to alter. Teams change managers every 2-3 barring complete misfire. It’s fine, like player, you have to move on rather than hold on to under performance.
The problem is we've had the same approach with players at times. Think how bad things had to get with De Gea before we finally cut our losses, even then it ended up being touch and go. The club is far too sentimental in its decision making across the board.

It doesn't help when you have the likes of Gary Neville regularly using his voice on TV to keep this pretence up. He would do us all a massive favour if he just kept his mouth shut. He speaks so passionately about something he isn't qualified to comment on, and does it in such a public way that those feelings become even more deeply entrenched around the club. We need to move with the times.

Yeah it’s not ‘skint’ in the slightest. Some far smarter people have posted details online regarding our finances and there’s no major issues that would prevent us terminating Ten Hag.

What the club is doing though, is looking to make smarter decisions and restrict losses. Something which has been much needed.
A bit extreme but I'm sure they could get a decent hit man for a couple of grand.

This hitching a ride embarrassment is a new low for the club but another lesson from Sir Jim in how you go from being a joiner's son from Failsworth to Britain's wealthiest multi-billionaire.

You make it sound like this "number 1 choice" will take us to the promised land.
It doesn't work like that.
You can hire a number choice, wait a year for him to become available and when he arrives, he might be so bad, he too, will get fired. Moyes is a good example of this.

Every managerial appointment is someone who is the best person available.
On rare occasions, a manager is tapped up, but I do not believe that INEOS plan that far ahead. They are reactive, not proactive.
They will wait until we are in a really bad situation, then fire ETH and hire the best person available at the time.
There is no master plan, I guarantee it.

Had they been the type of people who plan, they'd have planned in Q1 2024, then in Summer 2024, they'd have replaced ETH. After winning the FA Cup final, they reacted and felt ETH should stay. Had ETH lost, he'd probably have been fired.

Every move INEOS make is reactive.
No I make it sound like they are trying to get the right person in and not just anyone who is available.

Sure might not work out but hiring someone you don’t believe in won’t either.

You don't activate the extension clause of a manager who is viewed as an interim. It will now be far more expensive if they choose to sack the manager, and we're in a much weaker position than we would've been if we sacked him in the days following the FA Cup final.

The dirge of last season has carried through into this one and most of the viable candidates to replace him in the summer are no longer available. Not to mention that we've lost the opportunity of pre-season to give a new coach time to embed their ideas into the players. It was a miserable decision all round and the longer we keep him in post, the more we're going to pay for it.
We had just won a cup again, they couldn't get a manager in the summer that suited them, so they had to do something to maybe keep the press off his and their backs. Trouble is it is now coming back to haunt them.

In terms of our interactions I know that im miles in the lead though so I'll take that.

Hint/Education: PSR/FFP doesn't decide what clubs are willing spend.
I simply find you very ignorant and up your own arse.

And if I’m the one saying it then you should be concerned!

No I make it sound like they are trying to get the right person in and not just anyone who is available.

Sure might not work out but hiring someone you don’t believe in won’t either.
The thing about this argument is, that you don’t need this right person that fits basically everything you need. You just need someone who would do better than ETH. The way some people here explain the approach at the manager spot sounds to me like it would not make sense to buy an improvement on Weghorst unless it’s Messi.
By now you know that ETH isn’t good enough. So unless you have this Messi of managers lined up, you should just get someone in who is better.

The thing about this argument is, that you don’t need this right person that fits basically everything you need. You just need someone who would do better than ETH. The way some people here explain the approach at the manager spot sounds to me like it would not make sense to buy an improvement on Weghorst unless it’s Messi.
By now you know that ETH isn’t good enough. So unless you have this Messi of managers lined up, you should just get someone in who is better.
Thing with getting a new manager, the people they have approached play different styles, so is it us not happy with their interviews or them not being happy with how we want to operate? ETH is desperate to stay in the job so it was the easier option, not the right option to keep him.

Depends on your goals. Ours is to win the league and ucl by 2028 so no you don’t just need someone better than ETH

I dont believe that one bit. Its surely bollocks.
it’s very specific. Also if it was not true it would be trolling.

INEOS “cost saving “ is like he guy who cuts down on his £3 coffee, but still keep his depreciated overvalued sports car that’s on a very bad HP deal.

Depends on your goals. Ours is to win the league and ucl by 2028 so no you don’t just need someone better than ETH
I don’t see why that’s a reason not to improve on the manager right now. Especially since I believe that holding on to a bad manager the way you guys do, makes you less attractive for new players. Or do you think you can convince new players, who are good enough to win the cl, to sign when you aren’t even playing internationally and sit at 12th?
Just develop a vision and style of play you think is right for the club, find a manager who fits into that and get going. If he doesn’t work out, get someone else, but someone who can build on the foundation laid by his predecessor.
It’s not rocket science. And I see absolutely no benefit in keeping a manager who has so obviously failed. It sends a bad message around the club. It’s a lack of accountability and ambition.
To me it feels like you are still searching for another SAF, not realising how incredibly rare managers like that are. You’re basically chasing unicorns.

We had just won a cup again, they couldn't get a manager in the summer that suited them, so they had to do something to maybe keep the press off his and their backs. Trouble is it is now coming back to haunt them.
I think that's a little bit of a cop out. Even if that was the case, why activate the extension clause? If the explanation is to do with the press, that is cowardice. Their job is to act in the best interests of the club, they should be able to quieten down external noise without relenting to that pressure.

I think that's a little bit of a cop out. Even if that was the case, why activate the extension clause? If the explanation is to do with the press, that is cowardice. Their job is to act in the best interests of the club, they should be able to quieten down external noise without relenting to that pressure.
A lot of fans out there were on a high after beating City, ex- United players were bigging him up, they took up the option on his contract rather than being seen to leaving him hanging. To me if they were going to keep him it should have been on the proviso of a massive improvement or he would be a goner. The big issue we have is the statement by SAF about backing our manager and taking it as meaning 'No matter what happens'.

For context

I don't understand the context because it's not the same thing. Returning early from national selection games on intercontinental flights is on already pre-arranged itineraries, which is something that was agreed upon before, and it's a normal thing. United asking for favors on a ceremony award trip is not. This sounds like United just thought at the last minute, "Oy, hey, we know you guys are going, are there 2 spare seats for our boys"? We are trying to get to City, not ask them for transportation favors. I mean, whoever thought that it would be a good idea to put two of our most promising young players to watch City collecting their award in front of them and celebrating it on the plane, needs sacking.

This just looks bad on so many levels, it's beyond belief. I'd like to be proved wrong, so if anyone knows of a similar thing where city rivals gave each out a lift-to-ceremony award, please share the link.

Are you fecking serious? That's the thing they've fecked up the most!

Like I said before. I am far from impressed by Ineos. That doesn’t change the fact that the Glazers only ever made decisions based on how it would affect their ability to make money. That’s why managers were sacked when CL qualification was under threat. Not for any sense of higher standards or ambition. They didn’t care about the football and had no desire to take United back to the top. Ineos have at least hired people to look after the football department. I think Ineos’ vision is to try and make United a top team again but they have had a dreadful start.

Sounds like we’re pretty much in agreement here. I lost all enthusiasm for this ‘project’ the moment they botched the manager decision in the summer. His performance over the last 18 months is indefensible and it’s trending in the wrong direction. Every week he is still manager is doing damage to the club. Don’t get me wrong.

Like I said before. I am far from impressed by Ineos. That doesn’t change the fact that the Glazers only ever made decisions based on how it would affect their ability to make money. That’s why managers were sacked when CL qualification was under threat. Not for any sense of higher standards or ambition. They didn’t care about the football and had no desire to take United back to the top. Ineos have at least hired people to look after the football department. I think Ineos’ vision is to try and make United a top team again but they have had a dreadful start.

Sounds like we’re pretty much in agreement here. I lost all enthusiasm for this ‘project’ the moment they botched the manager decision in the summer. His performance over the last 18 months is indefensible and it’s trending in the wrong direction. Every week he is still manager is doing damage to the club. Don’t get me wrong.
CL qualification and making money go together. If we had not messed up the CL last season we would have got more money to pay this manager off. Yes the Glazers would line their pockets with that money going back, but SJR is now in charge of football matters, but he still wants money coming into the club to be able to run all departments efficiently and get the club back up to standard. Finishing bottom half and no European football and maybe no trophy this season will not be filling the clubs coffers.

For context

If this is true, I think I’m just about done with the club.. Cost cutting is one thing, but letting yourself be embarrassed like that is on an entirely different level, it makes everyone look weak.. I can just about take the dreary football, and the lacklustre manager that never seems to fix glaring issues on the pitch, but the owners accepting mediocrity and penny pinching at the expense of having some pride in the club should never be things associated with Manchester United.. what happened to this once great club?

A lot of fans out there were on a high after beating City, ex- United players were bigging him up, they took up the option on his contract rather than being seen to leaving him hanging. To me if they were going to keep him it should have been on the proviso of a massive improvement or he would be a goner. The big issue we have is the statement by SAF about backing our manager and taking it as meaning 'No matter what happens'.
Their job isn't to be consumed by fan opinion though. Top level executives should be capable of making clinical decisions and riding out fan backlash and/or media pressure if that's what they truly believe to be the right decision.

If they're more worried about the optics of being seen to leave him hanging, they aren't cut out for the job they've taken. Honestly, it's that simple. I don't get why we're so terrified to let a manager enter the final year of his contract in general, but even moreso after the events of last season. He didn't earn an extension and only kept his job by the skin of his teeth. If it isn't working, the illusion of security isn't going to change anything. As someone else said on here a few weeks ago, success brings stability, not the other way around.

Their job isn't to be consumed by fan opinion though. Top level executives should be capable of making clinical decisions and riding out fan backlash and/or media pressure if that's what they truly believe to be the right decision.

If they're more worried about the optics of being seen to leave him hanging, they aren't cut out for the job they've taken. Honestly, it's that simple. I don't get why we're so terrified to let a manager enter the final year of his contract in general, but even moreso after the events of last season. He didn't earn an extension and only kept his job by the skin of his teeth. If it isn't working, the illusion of security isn't going to change anything. As someone else said on here a few weeks ago, success brings stability, not the other way around.
That's how the media work nowadays, they pick up on social media reactions from fans and then fan the flames one way or another. Either he is the greatest manager ever or an absolute disaster. The club will react to this even if they shouldn't. Remember a lot of clubs do not have the media interest we get. Nothing like a disaster at United to create stories.

CL qualification and making money go together. If we had not messed up the CL last season we would have got more money to pay this manager off. Yes the Glazers would line their pockets with that money going back, but SJR is now in charge of football matters, but he still wants money coming into the club to be able to run all departments efficiently and get the club back up to standard. Finishing bottom half and no European football and maybe no trophy this season will not be filling the clubs coffers.

If that was to happen it would be an utter embarrassment for INEOS. First season under their watch to dive bomb and be significantly worse than the Glazers ever managed would be some doing.

We'd be even more of a football meme as we currently are which would be some achievement.

That's how the media work nowadays, they pick up on social media reactions from fans and then fan the flames one way or another. Either he is the greatest manager ever or an absolute disaster. The club will react to this even if they shouldn't. Remember a lot of clubs do not have the media interest we get. Nothing like a disaster at United to create stories.
I understand that, which is why it's even more important to ignore the media scrutiny so they can get on with their jobs! Are we in a better or worse position for relenting to that pressure?

If that was to happen it would be an utter embarrassment for INEOS. First season under their watch to dive bomb and be significantly worse than the Glazers ever managed would be some doing.

We'd be even more of a football meme as we currently are which would be some achievement.
If they leave it as it is, it is exactly what is going to happen.

I understand that, which is why it's even more important to ignore the media scrutiny so they can get on with their jobs! Are we in a better or worse position for relenting to that pressure?
What annoys me about the media is they write articles, but in the press conferences, nobody asks the necessary questions. What are his tactics exactly? Somebody in one of these interviews with SJR ask him what position is acceptable.

If true, scruffy Jims reign has got off to a rocky start. I think until we get a full takeover, this club will continue to be a mess from top to bottom. INEOs are essentially Glazer puppets and probably are like minded in how to run a business and football club. The Qatar bid would of been more beneficial for the fans.

Embarrassing if true
United finally have dropped to these low level club :mad:

Sharing flights happens all the time - read the X link above. Media just spinning it into a negative story about Utd, even though it’s Man City that should be the ones looking bad in the situation - don’t be succumbed by the media mate.

Players from different clubs fly together all the time.

Also, good to Ineos attempt not shelling out thousands for a one-hour flight to some award ceremony which doesn't have much to do with us.

The players are paid thousands a week. They should arrange their own transportation for such events.

If you are really 'done with this club' because you are embarrassed about such, you desperately need to put down whatever ship-stirring tabloid is cultivating you and get some perspective.

This must be a pisstake and untrue. No way we let ourselves be embarrassed like that
We aspire to be like City. What's the harm of letting our young players share some time with their players? Their winning mentality might just rub off on Garnacho and Mainoo.

Did anyone read the actual article? It seems more about a carbon footprint issue and not a money issue. Seems like other clubs have shared jets with us before and vice versa, typical mail hackery.
I don't actually care about this story but you do know what INEOS' main business is, right?