Club Ownership | INEOS responsible for the football side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha, Southgate gets the slightest mention in the article and wasn’t ever considered a serious candidate by anyone.
Simply put, Jimmy Worrall, who founded the networking group Leaders in Sport with Brailsford, was a facilitator of the meetings and Worrall has a long-standing relationship with Southgate, that appears the only reason his name was even mentioned.

But hey, don’t let that stop your doom mongering though mate.
You asked for evidence and I gave it you.

There’s also a load of other journalists that have reported Southgate. I’m not going to waste my time and provide these but an easy google search and you’ll find.

You’re embarrassing yourself with the lengths you’re worshipping Sir Jim.

So, according to an analysis done on stadium naming rights in 2022, United would command around £27m to rename Old Trafford and almost £52m for a new stadium. That's a quarter of the £2bn stadium paid off for a 10-year deal, not to mention the drastically increased matchday revenue from the 90k-100k seater stadium, increased fan spending through much better surrounding facilities and hosting a lot more events/matches.

I think Ratcliffe has set his mind on building a new stadium, something which I also agree with. There are way too many upsides, even the regeneration project of surrounding areas becomes much more attractive if it's a new stadium. Naming rights are a small price to pay, ideally it would still be 'brand name' New/Old Trafford.

You asked for evidence and I gave it you.

There’s also a load of other journalists that have reported Southgate. I’m not going to waste my time and provide these but an easy google search and you’ll find.

You’re embarrassing yourself with the lengths you’re worshipping Sir Jim.

worshipping Jim? :lol:
On the contrary mate you’re embarrassing yourself by starting to claim how worrying their ownership is based on bizarre rumours about a manager they clearly had no serious interest in. Even in the evidence you’re claiming to have produced those reports are confirming that he was never a serious candidate and yet somehow still want to post how “worrying” it is.
Seriously have a word yourself.

So, according to an analysis done on stadium naming rights in 2022, United would command around £27m to rename Old Trafford and almost £52m for a new stadium. That's a quarter of the £2bn stadium paid off for a 10-year deal, not to mention the drastically increased matchday revenue from the 90k-100k seater stadium, increased fan spending through much better surrounding facilities and hosting a lot more events/matches.

I think Ratcliffe has set his mind on building a new stadium, something which I also agree with. There are way too many upsides, even the regeneration project of surrounding areas becomes much more attractive if it's a new stadium. Naming rights are a small price to pay, ideally it would still be 'brand name' New/Old Trafford.
It won’t be ‘New Trafford’. The name ‘Old Trafford’ refers to the area

Thank you. Naming rights won't be forever. The Glazers have damaged this club severely and Sir Jim is just doing what a businessman would to get stuff done. Long may it continue. The club is finally moving forward.

I have no doubt the project to rejuvenate and regentrify the surrounding area as well as the new stadium would probably be called the New Trafford project or something. It’s an open goal really.

I think it‘ll still be Old Trafford as the stadium name has so much prestige to it. I don’t think it will be like Arsenal where they had a fairly cool name for their new stadium in Ashburton Grove (based on the literal name of the area it was built in) as it was being built and then they get lumped with a generic stadium name in the Emirates Stadium.

We just need to find a business with loads of money and a shit name and get them to rebrand as Fortress

Sorted

I do not see why the new stadium will need to have Trafford on it. Old Trafford is Old Trafford, the new stadium won’t be Old Trafford. And calling it New Trafford would be something you might hear from a teen playing Fortnight.

Essentially, if we revamp Old Trafford, it will probably be called Sponsor Old Trafford. If we build a new stadium and we get good money for naming rights, it will be Sponsor stadium. And if we build a new stadium but we do not / can not sell the naming rights, it will likely be Manchester United stadium.

I do not see why the new stadium will need to have Trafford on it. Old Trafford is Old Trafford, the new stadium won’t be Old Trafford. And calling it New Trafford would be something you might hear from a teen playing Fortnight.

Essentially, if we revamp Old Trafford, it will probably be called Sponsor Old Trafford. If we build a new stadium and we get good money for naming rights, it will be Sponsor stadium. And if we build a new stadium but we do not / can not sell the naming rights, it will likely be Manchester United stadium.
I agree, we should call it something like the Tradbrick Stadium

While I don't completely disagree, the fans who all support the team through thick and thin are not all poor fans.

Not saying they're poor necessarily but it's a massive kick in the teeth for those that travel around the country. And on the face if it, even a £10 increase per game doesn't even bring in that much more money (£700k is probably what three players wages) to the club but outprices more fans.

On a wider point, and something that I've said to here before, it's always annoyed me that fans pay the price (literally) for the club's awful transfer strategy. Maybe we wouldn't need to bring in more revenue if we didn't routinely spend loads of money on lads that need replacing after 2/3 years.

It's generally why I've been ok with INEOS less "gung-ho" transfer policy. If you are forcing fans to pay more and selling more of the clubs soul (by selling naming rights to the new ground) at least be more strategic in how you spend that money.

During the bidding process, didn't Ratcliffe say OT would not be renamed or removed? Somesuch.

Anyway, it was the moment I knew we would be playing a corporate dome, rather than our beloved airplane hangar.

Would tolerate it if the sponsor is not connected to some despotic government and the name OT is retained. Also, media to not constantly call it after the sponsor.

Which means the media will call it the North Korea Airlines Old Trafford at all times.

Man, I hate Ineos. I hate everything. F off!

Interesting, we have new part owners taking over all football operations yet they apparently don't have any money.

I have no doubt the project to rejuvenate and regentrify the surrounding area as well as the new stadium would probably be called the New Trafford project or something. It’s an open goal really.

I think it‘ll still be Old Trafford as the stadium name has so much prestige to it. I don’t think it will be like Arsenal where they had a fairly cool name for their new stadium in Ashburton Grove (based on the literal name of the area it was built in) as it was being built and then they get lumped with a generic stadium name in the Emirates Stadium.
The area is called Old Trafford. New Trafford wouldn’t make sense unless you’re a child.

cant believe they this is the 3rd time in 24 hours im having to repeat this

The area is called Old Trafford. New Trafford wouldn’t make sense unless you’re a child.

cant believe they this is the 3rd time in 24 hours im having to repeat this
The "Arena Auf Schalke" isn't located in Schalke. It's not like it would be the first time that a stadium has the name of the original area of a club but not the name of the one it actually is located in.

Interesting, we have new part owners taking over all football operations yet they apparently don't have any money.
A) they don’t own the full club, they are part owners so why do people expect that they will put in all this money themselves for the others to benefit from?
b) I think they probably underestimated the scale of the problems at United, it’s a money pit
c) in terms of transfers they haven’t got free reign, they need to work within the confines of FFP etc

The "Arena Auf Schalke" isn't located in Schalke. It's not like it would be the first time that a stadium has the name of the original area of a club but not the name of the one it actually is located in.
I’m talking Old Trafford. This matters to the locals.

New Trafford sounds so childish

Old Apple Trafford

Seriously though, Old Trafford doesn't really sound like a name for a brand new modern stadium. Kinda belongs to the current stadium anyway. Otherwise we would have "New Old Trafford" and "Old Old Trafford".

Trafford Stadium or Trafford Park?

Would it be better if the narrative was " we can do things in the transfer market that other clubs could only dream of".

Who ?

It says so right there in the tweet. Go Ahead Eagles manager Rene Hake. He had a very good season and even qualified for Europe with a small club. Finished 8th with the 14th budget. Go Ahead Eagles is also the club where ETH started his career and got them promoted to the Eredivisie before leaving to Bayern Munchen second team.

Last edited:

It says so right there in the tweet. Go Ahead Eagles manager Rene Hake. He had a very good season and even qualified for Europe with a small club. Finished 8th with the 14th budget. Go Ahead Eagles is also the club where ETH started his career and got them promoted to the Eredivisie before leaving to Bayern Munchen second team.

If they end up refurbishing Old Trafford and then changing the name then what would set Ratcliffe apart from any American equity firm?

If they end up building a new stadium I'd understand a name change, as it would be impossible to call it Old Trafford.

There's an interesting podcast (Inside track - Football insider) where ex Everton/Villa CEO lays into Ratcliffe. Pretty scathing.

Naming rights a small price to pay. You could equally argue that giving up a central part of a brand-driven brand for a generation to get Mason Mount is a small price to GET.

But I think this is about something much more important than £52m, and to which ten years is a measly perspective.

Football is competition, sporting and economic, the two can’t be separated. Yet what do millions of people pay money to the football industry for? It’s not the same reason they invest in stocks at Wall Street. They invest to be able to take part in an identity, and the emotions they invest are much more important than the money they invest - otherwise the wouldn’t invest their money at all.

Money are central to sporting success, but yet it is secondary. Without a special identity, possible for people to invest their emotions in, there is no money, money goes elsewhere. But what makes an identity capable of capturing emotions?

The components are different for different football clubs, but there must be concrete components. There are not so many. Man Utd is an assembly of legends, that is the potential that makes money go to Man Utd. Real, concrete legends. There is a name. There are the stories of 1958 and the Busby Babes. There are the first English team to win the Europa Cup. There are some names, comparatively longer remembered than most: Edwards, Charlton, Best, Cantona, Beckham, Ronaldo. There is red white and black. There is the famous stadium Old Trafford, known for it’s avid supporters (in spite of evidence, this legend persists). There are the myths of young kids and working class fighters breaking through in a Theatre of Dreams, in a daring fashion. Man Utd is not feasible as Disneyworld, because what makes Man Utd what it is, is not compatible with what Disneyworld is. The only difference is that Disneyworld is completely made up, made up to entertain. Man United must entertain too, said Sir Alex, but it must do so by being what it is. It cannot be completely made up, or the aspect of realness, of historicity, of something solid, of someting to gather around, is lost. And losing that, Man Utd have nothing that is not available to a thousand other business enterprises or football industries. A good stadium, good training facilitires, good coaches and players are a requisite for both sporting success and monetary success in the short term. But in the long term, they are dependent on something else, a real community with a real history, a real home and real people with real names. Otherwise the money will drift elsewhere when success is down and there is nothing in the club anymore to capture peoples emotions.

It’s important to note that different clubs have different things make them what they are, what gives them real qualities. One club may change stadium, another may change colours, a third may change name and call themselves Phillips Sports Verein and survive and even grow. But they have some markers of realness that they cannot ship without dissolving into something whatever-like. Man Utd is a club where even the stadium parts cannot be called The Coca Cola Stand, they must be named Sir Alex Ferguson Stand or Sir Bobby Charlton Stand or retain the traditional names of Stretford End or East stand. These stands may disappear if a new stadium has to be built, and so their names fade in time, but what we can’t afford to lose is the logic of the identity that makes it impossible to rename Stretford End as Emirates stand for ten years to be able to buy a Hannibal Mejbri more.

A pause for thought, what makes it possible that after trophy droughts from 1911-1952, 1968-1993, 2013-2024, Man Utd is still expected to compete for the CL and PL titles within a few seasons? It is because of money and history, but Man United have those money because of their history, so that is the one thing we can never afford to sell.

Old Apple Trafford

Seriously though, Old Trafford doesn't really sound like a name for a brand new modern stadium. Kinda belongs to the current stadium anyway. Otherwise we would have "New Old Trafford" and "Old Old Trafford".

Trafford Stadium or Trafford Park?
Old Trafford 1 and Old Trafford 2 (if they build a new stadium)

I wonder if it is that way to get a naming sponsor for your stadium , how come Spurs haven't got any?..Food for thought.

I think even Gary Neville conceded that the new stadium would probably have a sponsor name attached to it in order to generate money. If you hypothetically called it INEOS Old Trafford or something where the ‘Old Trafford‘ name is retained then I don’t think people will mind.

Yeah a little bit like Emirates Old Trafford down the road at cricket ground

A) they don’t own the full club, they are part owners so why do people expect that they will put in all this money themselves for the others to benefit from?
b) I think they probably underestimated the scale of the problems at United, it’s a money pit
c) in terms of transfers they haven’t got free reign, they need to work within the confines of FFP etc
The money they pump into the club will dilute Glazer equity. It’s not like INEOS will just pump money into the club with no increase in share percentage. That’s why they are willing to put money into the club…

The money they pump into the club will dilute Glazer equity. It’s not like INEOS will just pump money into the club with no increase in share percentage. That’s why they are willing to put money into the club…
and I’m sure that there will be timelines for that. I don’t think they are going to chuck money in willy nilly. There are a lot of area that they will want to be running more efficiently rather than chucking money at
It straight away

Status
Not open for further replies.