Club Ownership | INEOS responsible for the football side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when we had Arnold and Murtough who couldn’t work on more than 1 deal at a time and spent all summer chasing FDJ. Now we have INEOS speaking to 4 players at once. Sit back and enjoy the ride!!
That wouldn't make sense if we were working on FDJ all summer for only 1 deal at a time yet somehow managed to sign Malacia, Martinez and Eriksen. Interesting that.

That wouldn't make sense if we were working on FDJ all summer for only 1 deal at a time yet somehow managed to sign Malacia, Martinez and Eriksen. Interesting that.
And signed De jongs alternative late in the window? It’s easy to pause negotiations. The point is we was only every trying to sign 1 at a time where as now we’re close to signing 3/4 players before pre seasons even started.

And signed De jongs alternative late in the window? It’s easy to pause negotiations. The point is we was only every trying to sign 1 at a time where as now we’re close to signing 3/4 players before pre seasons even started.
We announced those 3 players within 2 weeks of each other while it was also being reported by good sources that we're still in talks re: FDJ. Also, that Martinez transfer took a little while because we had to fight off Arsenal.

The whole 1 at a time is nonsense. It may have been true for 1 or 2 summers but was never a constant and likely was only under Woodward. We hired a lot more people under Arnold to work on transfers so it wouldn't make sense to then only focus on 1 at a time. Just very illogical. Some of those people are still here under INEOS so are clearly competent.

We announced those 3 players within 2 weeks of each other while it was also being reported by good sources that we're still in talks re: FDJ. Also, that Martinez transfer took a little while because we had to fight off Arsenal.

The whole 1 at a time is nonsense. It may have been true for 1 or 2 summers but was never a constant and likely was only under Woodward. We hired a lot more people under Arnold to work on transfers so it wouldn't make sense to then only focus on 1 at a time. Just very illogical. Some of those people are still here under INEOS so are clearly competent.
Some of? Who’s that? We’ve wasted tons of money under Arnold. I rarely remember us being very active around this time of the window and nearly having all our targets in before pre season. INEOS know what they’re doing. Ashworth, Wilcox, and the others that have been brought in will make us a lot more competent in the market and hopefully sign us some good players for fare prices

Some of? Who’s that? We’ve wasted tons of money under Arnold. I rarely remember us being very active around this time of the window and nearly having all our targets in before pre season. INEOS know what they’re doing. Ashworth, Wilcox, and the others that have been brought in will make us a lot more competent in the market and hopefully sign us some good players for fare prices
Preseason has already started and we haven't signed anyone. I say that not to denigrate but just show that it's just hype for now. We had more players in for preseason under Arnold. Means nothing.

Preseason has already started and we haven't signed anyone. I say that not to denigrate but just show that it's just hype for now. We had more players in for preseason under Arnold. Means nothing.
Preseason as in games. Not training. And these guys have only had half a window how many did Arnold have?

I don’t think I’ve seen such a drastic overhaul of backroom and board level staff at a club before. Makes you wonder what happens in a parallel universe where the Glazers continued on their own. No chance they’d have done any of this. At best, they hire one of Ashworth or Wilcox who would then quit after 18 months once they realise it’s been a waste of time and they’re powerless.

Just hope it doesn’t take too long to see the rewards from it all.

Very surprised that Van der Gaag is going with how loyal to him ten Hag has been. They seemed inseparable.
Hope this isn’t a Jose and Faria situation, that didn’t go so well.

Yeah have to worry that Van der Gaag was the mastermind behind our 8th place finish:eek:

Sorry, low hanging fruit

Very surprised that Van der Gaag is going with how loyal to him ten Hag has been. They seemed inseparable.
If we finish 16th we'd know who was instrumental in our coaching staff.

Its player power, apparently when Sir Jim's team held one to one meetings with the players some of them said they were unhappy with Mitchell and his tough guy approach.

Its player power, apparently when Sir Jim's team held one to one meetings with the players some of them said they were unhappy with Mitchell and his tough guy approach.

Yeah, quite a lot of player power asking ETH & INEOS to hire Hake as well I assume ;)

Maybe they did, but if they are going to back Erik, and MvdG is Erik’s guy then I’m not sure that would hold much sway? Must be more to it than this.

Maybe they did, but if they are going to back Erik, and MvdG is Erik’s guy then I’m not sure that would hold much sway? Must be more to it than this.

Doesnt MvdG want to try his hand at managing? Sure I read it somewhere but like 90% of the interwebs, was probably bollocks

Doesnt MvdG want to try his hand at managing? Sure I read it somewhere but like 90% of the interwebs, was probably bollocks
I think that’s been suggested, but it’s not like he’s jumping straight into a job like McKenna or has been headhunted like Ramsey was. Hopefully still works out for the best, and good luck to him!

Seems like MVDG is looking for an opportunity as a head coach, there was a bit of news in March that Ajax were considering him for the top spot - As per the club update today it doesn't look like there's any bad blood between them, I think MVDG was keen for his next step up for some time now.

On a separate note, this deal with Zirkzee is also interesting in how we agreed to pay a little over the release close in order to secure it in instalments - presumably to keep our options open with regards to our total spending power this summer. Good deal from the new team there, with hopefully more to come.

I don’t think I’ve seen such a drastic overhaul of backroom and board level staff at a club before. Makes you wonder what happens in a parallel universe where the Glazers continued on their own. No chance they’d have done any of this. At best, they hire one of Ashworth or Wilcox who would then quit after 18 months once they realise it’s been a waste of time and they’re powerless.

Just hope it doesn’t take too long to see the rewards from it all.

Yep - think we all knew things were not great behind the scenes under the Glazers but the sheer scale of the changes across all areas is still amazing. Shows just how neglected the club has been

But everyone says those players that Arnold signed are rubbish/now need replacing so maybe this slower approach is a good thing?

But everyone says those players that Arnold signed are rubbish/now need replacing so maybe this slower approach is a good thing?
I don't think any approach is necessarily good or bad. I'm just pointing that the things we're praising the new setup for aren't anything we haven't done before. The major difference is most likely going to be that they're given the latitude to actually make decisions without having to run it by Joel Glazer and so their competence is felt better and we can move with more speed in the market when necessary.

I think that’s been suggested, but it’s not like he’s jumping straight into a job like McKenna or has been headhunted like Ramsey was. Hopefully still works out for the best, and good luck to him!
I think he was first choice for Ajax to replace ten Hag?

When you think about it, it's pretty incredible how much success we've managed in spite of the Glazers. 6 trophies in 10 years or whatever it is. Imagine how much we'll win in the next decade.

The difference between Malcolms offspring and real businessmen is night and day. We have a clear vision, proper transfer strategy, a proper structure etc. And they've only been here 5 minutes. United feels like a professional sporting organisation again instead of whatever the hell we were when the Glazers were running the show.

You're overlooking the main point.

The 1 at a time trope isn't to imply that we can only sign 1 player, but rather the fact that we used to get fixated on signing one for most of the transfer window. And then once the windows is about to close we scramble to sign our B and C options while overpaying.

Take De Jong for example: it was clear around mid July that he's not comming. And yet instead of moving on to a different target, our board kept trying to sign. Same thing with Sancho in the summer that we failed to land, etc.

The new board is very proactive: they try for a player, see if he doesn't work out and move immediately to option B. Take Brantwaithe for example. This not only makes us look competent, but we tend to spend less on wages, since we don't look like desperate high schoolers trying to get laid, but rather someone who has options, hence we can show the players and their agents that we're not willing to be held ransom. Basic supply and demand.

You're overlooking the main point.

The 1 at a time trope isn't to imply that we can only sign 1 player, but rather the fact that we used to get fixated on signing one for most of the transfer window. And then once the windows is about to close we scramble to sign our B and C options while overpaying.

Take De Jong for example: it was clear around mid July that he's not comming. And yet instead of moving on to a different target, our board kept trying to sign. Same thing with Sancho in the summer that we failed to land, etc.

The new board is very proactive: they try for a player, see if he doesn't work out and move immediately to option B. Take Brantwaithe for example. This not only makes us look competent, but we tend to spend less on wages, since we don't look like desperate high schoolers trying to get laid, but rather someone who has options, hence we can show the players and their agents that we're not willing to be held ransom. Basic supply and demand.
Save the praise for when we haven't signed him for the 70m they want for him.

Ed, Arnold and Murtough were at the helm for more than a decade taking millions in salary per year. They basically let the club rot from one of the best club in the world to finishing 8th in PL. None of the departments in the club are functioning properly. We also spent recklessly and now in trouble with FFP.

Is there a way we can sue them for negligence?

Ed, Arnold and Murtough were at the helm for more than a decade taking millions in salary per year. They basically let the club rot from one of the best club in the world to finishing 8th in PL. None of the departments in the club are functioning properly. We also spent recklessly and now in trouble with FFP.

Is there a way we can sue them for negligence?

It's actually unbelievable how you can take such a prime asset, at the top of the game and just smash it into the ground like this. There can't be many comparable case of mismanagement in world football. Maybe money issues like Leeds wrecking the whole club, Juve and Calciopoli maybe.. Either way it's almost impressive. Football Disneyworld indeed. So glad we are finally getting the open-heart surgery Ragnick correctly said that we needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.