CL Semi-Finals 13/14 - April 22,23,29,30

A lot of you know nothing about football.

Weve come here for a champions league semi final,( for the Arsenal fans you might not be able to remember that far back its when you're one of the last four in the competition), without our best player, our best right back, our best striker ( of sorts).

We've lost our goalie and are away to the team top of La Liga. If you want to play gung ho, make it attractive and lose 5-2 then fine, but its a good job we have a world class manager running us and not a forum member!

For the part also Atletico arent exactly turning over trees either, it was always going to be akin to those Liverpool games we had (before the 3-2)

For all those United fans who want Mourinho, would you be willing to sacrifice all the traditions of the club just for the inevitable trophy success he may bring? Because this has been a disgrace.
Nah, I dont want Mourinho. Along with this shit on a stick he's serving tonight, the general cuntishness of the man makes me hope we don't touch him.

Will Chelsea ever attempt to win the CL with actually playing decent football?

I spent around 5 minutes looking for a little spoon to stir my coffee at work today - couldn't find one. I eventually decided to use my finger, which I managed by carefully dipping it in and twirling for no more than a couple of seconds at a time. It becomes a strange game where, if you time it right, you never end up burning your finger.

Anyway, by this point I noticed that my coffee was getting a little cold so I boiled the kettle again. Just as I was about to pour some hot water in I noticed that there wasn't much space left in my cup, so I thought it would be best to pour some out to make some room. So I went to the sink and poured a little out, only for some coffee to pour over the side of my cup.

Now, as I'm sure you are aware, this means that as soon as I set that cup down I was going to end up with a coffee ring on the table. No great, right? I grabbed some paper towels to clean it up to avoid such a coffee ring, and guess what I found? That's right; a little spoon. That very moment I remembered that I had gone to dry it earlier but was distracted by a phone ringing.

I guaran-bloody-tee that you all found that story more interesting than that first half.

:lol: Well done.

Weve come here for a champions league semi final,( for the Arsenal fans you might not be able to remember that far back its when you're one of the last four in the competition), without our best player, our best right back, our best striker ( of sorts).

We've lost our goalie and are away to the team top of La Liga. If you want to play gung ho, make it attractive and lose 5-2 then fine, but its a good job we have a world class manager running us and not a forum member!
Yes but we have hindsight :)

Apparently the most expensive bus in the world was seen parked at the Calderon today. Such money, much wow. No doubt Jose's genius will be celebrated.

Chelsea have the ability to play good football. Benitez proved that last season. They've spent £400m on that first team squad. It's a choice, not a necessity.
They may have been prettier going forward but were atrocious defensively sometimes. Remember, he's missing his two best offensive players here in Eto'o and Hazard as well as their best midfielder in Matic.

For a supporter of a side like Arsenal who consistently choke and don't win anything you sure are quick to constantly moan about Chelsea. I'm sure every single one of their supporters would rather play their style and be in contention to win major honors than play "beautiful" Arsenal football that amounts to nothing in the end and get battered by every big side.

He's not overrated, he's a great manager and an expert on getting the results in big games. Shite to watch away to big teams but that's more about getting the result than anything.
We weren't any different away from home in knockout rounds under fergie, for people who seem to have short memories.

For the part also Atletico arent exactly turning over trees either, it was always going to be akin to those Liverpool games we had (before the 3-2)

I don't criticize your team's tactics, they're obviously the best to get the best possible for the first leg. I'm just bored watching the game. I agree that only some truly "special" people would blame Chelsea for not wanting to attack too much.

yea, because if Chelsea had a full personnel, they would've played an exciting brand of football, isn't it?

y

Why do people think we would attempt to over attack against this Atletico side? Has anyone who is critisising our tactics here actually watched them play this season, and considered the players we are missing?

They may have been prettier going forward but were atrocious defensively sometimes. Remember, he's missing his two best offensive players here in Eto'o and Hazard as well as their best midfielder in Matic.

For a supporter of a side like Arsenal who consistently choke and don't win anything you sure are quick to constantly moan about Chelsea. I'm sure every single one of their supporters would rather play their style and be in contention to win major honors than play "beautiful" Arsenal football that amounts to nothing in the end and get battered by every big side.

Arsenal fans are the biggest whiners about Jose because they know they would rather have his winning style over the bluster but have this complex where they feel they have to be liked by other clubs. They would rather never win anything and play attractive football so that other teams can pat them on the back than be hated and successful.

This isn't parking the bus. Mourinho has taken it a step further and made it even worse. You lots are making our "parking the bus" vs Bayern look like some sort of attacking Barca/Dortmund hybrid style. Absolutely wank football, I knew we would be in for this borefest when I saw ATM(already themselves not creative compared to the likes of Barca/Dortmund/Real/Bayern) draw Chelsea.

Christ alive, Ashley Cole looks like he's been sitting in the dark, crying into the cold baked beans he's eating straight from the can over not being picked to play.

Why do people think we would attempt to over attack against this Atletico side? Has anyone who is critisising our tactics here actually watched them play this season, and considered the players we are missing?

What since when is playing a high d-line with slow defenders against a good counter attacking side with fast strikers risky? Get on Wengers level dude.

Willian spends more time at leftback than leftbacks do.

yea, because if Chelsea had a full personnel, they would've played an exciting brand of football, isn't it?

y

Well if you watched our games vs Liverpool, City(both), Arsenal(h), to name a few you tell me.

He's not overrated, he's a great manager and an expert on getting the results in big games. Shite to watch away to big teams but that's more about getting the result than anything.
We weren't any different away from home in knockout rounds under fergie, for people who seem to have short memories.

Exactly. This is what he does. And he's the master at it. Makes their loss to Sunderland all the more infuriating because you know he is capable of shutting Liverpool out on Sunday.

We played defensive most definitely vs Real 2013/Barca 2008. Though what Mourinho has done now is set his own benchmark in how defensive you can get, and it doesn't get any worse than this

tbf, they're missing key players. They lack creativity because Willian is the only one out there who can provide that. Dunno why Lampard starts, hate Luiz, and I hate when he plays Ramires in one of the attacking positions. Theres no point in Ramires being well up front trying to elbow and stomp their centre halves, he needs to be in the thick of things where he can get away with it.

To quote Basil. 'What were you expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window?' We arent there to impress with our attacking fluency. DFor a start we dont have our best player with us and secondly, we have shit all strikers to look good anyway.

Its all well and good looking great, but who cares when you look great and lose 3-2, or look great and lose 6-3?

Arsenal fans are the biggest whiners about Jose because they know they would rather have his winning style over the bluster but have this complex where they feel they have to be liked by other clubs. They would rather never win anything and play attractive football so that other teams can pat them on the back than be hated and successful.
The two aren't mutually exclusive as we have proved in the past (and others do today). It's fair enough for little sides to park the bus against bigger opposition but pretty disgraceful for a club that has spent over £1bn to play shit-on-a-stick.

oh come on stop. Even with all your best players available Mourinho would still have empolyed these boring tactics.

The two aren't mutually exclusive as we have proved in the past (and others do today). It's fair enough for little sides to park the bus against bigger opposition but pretty disgraceful for a club that has spent over £1bn to play shit-on-a-stick.

What manager have we kept long enough to build his own team?

Everytime we sack and appoint a manager the new man reverts to type, the only type you can in that situation. Jose inherited a good, but flawed side that was going to take longer than one season to fix, its not as if hes been building this side for a decade and its like this.

I just don't think that the Chelsea approach will be the key in this game, a 0-0 away isn't really a great result and dangerous because of the away goal rule. You need to attack at home then and then you will play like Atletico wants you to play. I don't think this approach will Chelsea lead to the final, they need to do a little bit more and try to score the away goal.

Honestly folks, this is the last game to use as an example of the football Chelsea play. Away to the La Liga leaders in a CL semi final isn't the time to be playing pretty football; it's keep the tie alive for the home leg time. Just look at us against Barcelona at the Nou Camp.

You'd still be playing the same sort of football with full squad against Steaua.

I just don't think that the Chelsea approach will be the key in this game, a 0-0 away isn't really a great result and dangerous because of the away goal rule. You need to attack at home then and then you will play like Atletico wants you to play. I don't think this approach will Chelsea lead to the final, they need to do a little bit more and try to score the away goal.
0-0 is a better result than losing.

We played defensive most definitely vs Real 2013/Barca 2008. Though what Mourinho has done now is set his own benchmark in how defensive you can get, and it doesn't get any worse than this
Even against Marseille in 2010/11, it was a terribly defensive game and so boring. Fergie started doing it a lot more and coincidentally we got a lot better in Europe. It's more about the result then performance at times.