City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

Thanks, I had misunderstood that aspect of it. Not cooperating is obviously a strategic decision by their legal team which may pay off. But if they were innocent there would be no need for that obviously. Guilty as hell!
This is the biggest problem I have with all of their pathetic excuses. They literally had the power to put two middle fingers up to everyone in football who have accused them of wrong doing - had they actually been innocent. But by doing everything in their power to disrupt the investigation they have come across as very disingenuous and arrogant arseholes, who very much know they’d be in deep shit if they did the right thing.

If my club was ever found guilty of this level of misconduct then I’d be absolutely furious and would not defend them at all. Though I’d continue to support them if they cleaned up their act. A majority of the city fans with an online presence though mirror their club. Arrogant, trashy and full of shit.

If the titles are being voided, what happens with the records of the involved players? If Haaland achieves the EPL record, will that even count? Will they deduct Aguero's goals in the season in which they're proven guilty?

If the titles are being voided, what happens with the records of the involved players? If Haaland achieves the EPL record, will that even count? Will they deduct Aguero's goals in the season in which they're proven guilty?

It doesn’t really matter.

It doesn’t really matter.

Imagine you're Aguero and suddenly, you finished your career with 98 club goal instead of 282. Or Haaland who aims for the all time goal record and suddenly gets deducted 40-50 goals as punishment for joining City :lol:

If they're consequent, they actually would have to see this through. Void is void.

Imagine you're Aguero and suddenly, you finished your career with 98 club goal instead of 282. Or Haaland who aims for the all time goal record and suddenly gets deducted 40-50 goals as punishment for joining City :lol:

If they're consequent, they actually would have to see this through. Void is void.

Well I’m sure the payments during this time to their offshore accounts will keep them satisfied, people will still recognise Aguero and Haaland has great players regardless.

Well I’m sure the payments during this time to their offshore accounts will keep them satisfied, people will still recognise Aguero and Haaland has great players regardless.

You must be fun at parties.

I think world class players always play for titles and records. It'll definitely hurt them if those are voided.

Was only half watching but was Neville defending City just now and says they should be able to spend what they want regardless?

Plenty of sympathy for them on sky right now from Micah Richards (not surprising) and our Gary.

Was only half watching but was Neville defending City just now and says they should be able to spend what they want regardless?
not watching, but I believe Neville has said before that he doesn't like the current FFP rules because they ensure that the same teams will always stay on top.

I wonder if the authorities would ever do what was done to Juventus a while back... Send them down divisions.

Or will they say sorry and deduct 15 points from Arsenal this season instead.

Probably the latter is more likely.

not watching, but I believe Neville has said before that he doesn't like the current FFP rules because they ensure that the same teams will always stay on top.
I think he used Blackburn as an example of why FFP isn't a good thing.
This is Blackburn who have lurched from crisis to crisis since the Walker money disappeared. Exactly what FFP was brought in to prevent.
He really is a thicko

That's your head.

That's your heart. And it's winning control over you, understandably.

Not really buddy, weird and all as it sounds I want us punished for this "unless" there is clear and unequivocal proof we are innocent (which we both know there won't be.)
Do the crime, do the time. I'd be a massive hypocrite, with all the times I called other clubs out for their issues and what they deserve to then hope we walk away free.

We broke the rules and we should pay the price.

Plenty of sympathy for them on sky right now from Micah Richards (not surprising) and our Gary.

Neville has been a cheerleader for the sheikh for a long time. Would query his motives and suspect they lie in business and developments in Manchester

It's not right how Pep Guardiola has been allowed to in effect influence the panel of decision makers on this with the way he's been looking distressed in front of the media. That whole 'woe is me' thing is going to work in their favour, they won't get stripped of any titles now. They'll get fined and banned from the transfer market for a year.

It's not right how Pep Guardiola has been allowed to in effect influence the panel of decision makers on this with the way he's been looking distressed in front of the media. That whole 'woe is me' thing is going to work in their favour, they won't get stripped of any titles now. They'll get fined and banned from the transfer market for a year.
19 other teams will be pushing for an appropriate punishment.

Its been clear from the start stripping the titles was never an option and any punishment was going to be "looking forward" not "backwards" I think. The odds of explusion are far higher than being stripped of the titles.

You make a good point, and in the interest of honesty I should say that I don’t have a definitive answer about how much is too much, when it comes to dominance. Nor can I see an obvious solution that stops it. All I’d say is that Utd’s dominant period seemed to last a lot lot longer, and without a ‘new money’ club in the form of Chelsea, I think it would be even more extreme.

In the first 19 seasons of the Premiership, with Ferguson as manager, before City win the league, you have the following breakdown

Utd - 12 titles
Oil/big investment clubs - 4 titles
Non-oil clubs - 3 titles (all Arsenal)

If you take out the oil clubs, or clubs (that would nowadays fail FFP) then how can you say that this is in any way interesting or competitive?

Well United have only finished second twice since Sir Alex retired a decade ago. I'd suggest that if City didn't breach financial fair play maybe Spurs would have really kicked on for a couple of years when they were recent, maybe Leicester would have felt more confident in trying to keep Kante and repeat who knows. It's not a direct thing where City have only effected United.

My main point is that the idea of nuterals liking to watch City take up our mantle is a bit of a strange one. For the last decade nearly the league has been just as much of a one team league as ever before it's just that now the one team winning it the most have done so through breaking a load of rules "allegedly"

Its been clear from the start stripping the titles was never an option and any punishment was going to be "looking forward" not "backwards" I think. The odds of explusion are far higher than being stripped of the titles.
I think reallocating the trophies is completely out of the question. Stripping the titles not so much. If you’ve been found to be systematically cheating for the last 10 years, why would you be allowed to retain those trophies? It’s the logical conclusion not least because you’re entire business plan has been to fake it until you make it and the trophies which have been obtained through cheating shouldn’t be allowed to be part of your marketing going forward, especially if you have to look externally for sponsors and will be looking to use your record to attract.

I think reallocating the trophies is completely out of the question. Stripping the titles not so much. If you’ve been found to be systematically cheating for the last 10 years, why would you be allowed to retain those trophies? It’s the logical conclusion not least because you’re entire business plan has been to fake it until you make it and the trophies which have been obtained through cheating shouldn’t be allowed to be part of your marketing going forward, especially if you have to look externally for sponsors and will be looking to use your record to attract.

I'm only going off whats been said, and they said the other PL clubs want punishments forward looking. Of course its not off the table completely but seems to be what the PL and clubs are aiming for. They care more about City being booted than stripped.

This doesn't make sense. We're constantly told on here that what you win today and in recent years is much less relevant than past history in attracting sponsors, which is why City obviously can't be bringing in the money they do without doping. By that logic, their current record attracts little; they didn't win much in 1994.

If they are found guilty, stripping works as a deterrent against future violations. The PL has to balance that level of punishment against the blow to it's reputation; it after all did allow City to operate in this manner for over 10 years; it doesn't escape unscathed.

This doesn't make sense. We're constantly told on here that what you win today and in recent years is much less relevant than past history in attracting sponsors, which is why City obviously can't be bringing in the money they do without doping. By that logic, their current record attracts little; they didn't win much in 1994.

If they are found guilty, stripping works as a deterrent against future violations. The PL has to balance that level of punishment against the blow to it's reputation; it after all did allow City to operate in this manner for over 10 years; it doesn't escape unscathed.
What are you on about? You think those titles of left awarded aren’t going to form part of City’s history which they will then monetise?

Yes, the Premier League is also to blame over this, who are you arguing with?

What are you on about? You think those titles of left awarded aren’t going to form part of City’s history which they will then monetise?

Yes, the Premier League is also to blame over this, who are you arguing with?

Going by general logic on here, no. It's a massive contradiction. Well, maybe not until 20 years down the line.

Replying to posts isn't arguing, but for what it's worth, was actually agreeing with you regarding the validity of stripping their titles if found guilty as a deterrent. Not to prevent them from profiting from it... 20 years from now. That said, the PL has an incentive to make this go away due to their culpability and this probably getting nasty in court, and they may decide for a less punitive option than title stripping.

Not really buddy, weird and all as it sounds I want us punished for this "unless" there is clear and unequivocal proof we are innocent (which we both know there won't be.)
Do the crime, do the time. I'd be a massive hypocrite, with all the times I called other clubs out for their issues and what they deserve to then hope we walk away free.

We broke the rules and we should pay the price.
What would you consider a suitable punishment if you were to try really hard to be unbiased?

Pre match buildup for the City game in the US was harping on the reception from fans with all these blue flares and smoke going off to welcome the team bus. Started laughing because of how much of a setup it was, clearly by the club.

What would you consider a suitable punishment if you were to try really hard to be unbiased?

It depends on the level but id say if we go down on most the charges/big ones, than expulsion is fair.

If we go down for non-compliance but are successful vs the book cooking, id say a big fine or maybe point deduction depending on severity.

If we go down on anything a change in ownership should be enforced too.

Going by general logic on here, no. It's a massive contradiction. Well, maybe not until 20 years down the line.

Replying to posts isn't arguing, but for what it's worth, was actually agreeing with you regarding the validity of stripping their titles if found guilty as a deterrent. Not to prevent them from profiting from it... 20 years from now. That said, the PL has an incentive to make this go away due to their culpability and this probably getting nasty in court, and they may decide for a less punitive option than title stripping.
Agreed. 15 years is too long for this to have gone on, a bunch of voids across the top place of their record looks terrible. Their inability to maintain a fair competition for that long just shows them to be deeply inadequate in their role. Holding their hands up and addressing their failures just doesn't seem that likely.
I think thats where the perception of the situation is though and i dont think its going to shift. I'm not sure they can make it go away

It depends on the level but id say if we go down on most the charges/big ones, than expulsion is fair.

If we go down for non-compliance but are successful vs the book cooking, id say a big fine or maybe point deduction depending on severity.

If we go down on anything a change in ownership should be enforced too.
State Ownership should definitely be banned. Talk of Qatar spending 5 billion on a second football club when they wont spend money on water or shelter for the people building their country is abhorrent.

Neville so predictable and irritating in his defence of City as usual.

Agreed. 15 years is too long for this to have gone on, a bunch of voids across the top place of their record looks terrible. Their inability to maintain a fair competition for that long just shows them to be deeply inadequate in their role. Holding their hands up and addressing their failures just doesn't seem that likely.
I think thats where the perception of the situation is though and i dont think its going to shift. I'm not sure they can make it go away

But the simple question remains, if they were won by cheating and breaking rules, how can they possibly stand?

The took Adebayor, Nasri, Clichy and Sagna from Arsenal when they probably shouldn’t have been allowed to. How can those results possibly stand?

There would be no logic in that stance, even though it would be far more convenient for the PL.

Wait, they actually unfurled a banner for a lawyer? State of that club.