City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

I suspect if there is significant punishment Abu Dhabi will withdraw it's investments from the UK completely, to teach us a lesson. I don't know much about their investments but I suppose it would result in job losses and reduced taxes one way or another but so be it, can't be blackmailed.

They’re a massive importer of weapons from the UK, they don’t invest in us for charity - and war is bigger business than football, so I doubt it would have much impact.

To be fair though, is there any point discussing it in depth?
Yes of course. Discussing the facts, the potential outcomes, doing in depth analysis of the leaks, etc. is what serious journalists that would want to present an unbiased view of the situation would do.

SkySports have no intention of doing that.

They’re a massive importer of weapons from the UK, they don’t invest in us for charity - and war is bigger business than football, so I doubt it would have much impact.
They are a large importer, but other countries would fall over each other to take our place and sell them instead, they wouldn't suffer any shortage of arms. The switch would be their punishment to the UK.

What you say is one of the reasons why some think the UK governement will lean on the Prem to do a deal acceptable to Abu Dhabi, to save investment and jobs. I'm not predicting either way on that, it's possible, but even if it were done we might not find out for sure for many years. A wait and see at the moment anyway.

Who the feck is Starfish?

Who else?

article-0-025C380C000005DC-220_468x543.jpg

Yes of course. Discussing the facts, the potential outcomes, doing in depth analysis of the leaks, etc. is what serious journalists that would want to present an unbiased view of the situation would do.

SkySports have no intention of doing that.
Thing is, I don’t think even the serious journalists know the answers to those questions, and even speculating could jeopardise who knows what - it is an ongoing case after all.

Nobody knows what the outcome will be as there’s not really a precedent for it. It’s all up in the air until the verdict. At which point there’ll be a media frenzy, rightly so.

Their guilt is an inevitability at this stage. City have invested huge resources into delay tactics rather than fighting the claims. The timeline was posted earlier in this thread but essentially the hearing could have been completed over 3 years ago.

Kicking the can down the road isn't the action of an entity believing they can defend their actions. Let's not forget this is a civil matter too. The EPL need to prove City probably broke their rules. They have to prove it is more likely, than not, the allegations occured.

Once proven, I suspect City are in for a decade of legal issues. There are the criminal issues. False accounting (Section 17 Theft Act 1968) seems nailed on for the high level executives. Concealing criminal property (Section 327 POCA 2000) which is effectively money laundering. Then you have the fact this is effectively a complex fraud (resists making a Fraudiola reference). City have repeatedly made false representations from which they gained, and others were exposed to a risk of loss (Section 2 Fraud Act 2006). The most appropriate primacy for the investigation is likely the National Crime Agency (NCA) and Serious Fraud Office (SFO). That'll take a few years to unpick I suspect, a few convictions coming out of that. Custody threshold definitely passed when considering the societal importance of sport and the reputational damage to one of our biggest global exports.

Then all the civil stuff will begin. Every time City have finished ahead of another team, they've cost each team ~£1m in finishing position prize money. Years they've won, that's £19m. Second, £18m, etc. 15 years of it going to be around £200m. Then you have teams being relegated because City were cheating to stay in the league. Then the teams losing out on Champions League, Europa League and Conference League football because of a cheating team finishing ahead. The sponsorship implications of those losses. City have probably cost other teams around £750-1bn in lost revenues, just on those factors alone.

In short, I'd expect a couple of decent prison sentences for the coordinators of the conspiracy to defraud and financial ruin for City but likely playing out until 2035.
Yeah.
I don't think I can be arsed to wait that long so I'm writing this off.
They've done what they set out to do really.

Thing is, I don’t think even the serious journalists know the answers to those questions, and even speculating could jeopardise who knows what - it is an ongoing case after all.
That's just blatantly untrue because other outlets have reported on this.

Not exactly sure why you've picked this hill to die on, Sky obviously have a conflict of interest when talking about anything that might devalue their product.

That's just blatantly untrue because other outlets have reported on this.

Not exactly sure why you've picked this hill to die on, Sky obviously have a conflict of interest when talking about anything that might devalue their product.
Why am I dying on a hill all of a sudden? I’m just saying I get why outlets don’t talk about something extensively when there isn’t much to go into yet.

Their guilt is an inevitability at this stage. City have invested huge resources into delay tactics rather than fighting the claims. The timeline was posted earlier in this thread but essentially the hearing could have been completed over 3 years ago.

Kicking the can down the road isn't the action of an entity believing they can defend their actions. Let's not forget this is a civil matter too. The EPL need to prove City probably broke their rules. They have to prove it is more likely, than not, the allegations occured.

Once proven, I suspect City are in for a decade of legal issues. There are the criminal issues. False accounting (Section 17 Theft Act 1968) seems nailed on for the high level executives. Concealing criminal property (Section 327 POCA 2000) which is effectively money laundering. Then you have the fact this is effectively a complex fraud (resists making a Fraudiola reference). City have repeatedly made false representations from which they gained, and others were exposed to a risk of loss (Section 2 Fraud Act 2006). The most appropriate primacy for the investigation is likely the National Crime Agency (NCA) and Serious Fraud Office (SFO). That'll take a few years to unpick I suspect, a few convictions coming out of that. Custody threshold definitely passed when considering the societal importance of sport and the reputational damage to one of our biggest global exports.

Then all the civil stuff will begin. Every time City have finished ahead of another team, they've cost each team ~£1m in finishing position prize money. Years they've won, that's £19m. Second, £18m, etc. 15 years of it going to be around £200m. Then you have teams being relegated because City were cheating to stay in the league. Then the teams losing out on Champions League, Europa League and Conference League football because of a cheating team finishing ahead. The sponsorship implications of those losses. City have probably cost other teams around £750-1bn in lost revenues, just on those factors alone.

In short, I'd expect a couple of decent prison sentences for the coordinators of the conspiracy to defraud and financial ruin for City but likely playing out until 2035.
Do you really believe anything substantial will happen? If there is no sporting penalty, there is no pain that will be felt by the club. No pain, no real consequences. No one is waiting until 2035, and everyone will have forgotten.

There are 5 outcomes:

1. They are found not guilty.

2. No points but a huge fine (approx. 400-500m).

3. Points deduction that's not large enough to relegate them (30-50).

4. Points deduction over 60 points which will probably relegate them. And they end up in the Championship.

5. Expulsion from the PL, which sends them down to L2 if the EFL accepts them.

For me I believe the only way they are going to feel any type of penalty is via option 4 or 5. They need to spend at least a season out of the PL. They will almost certainly lose players like KDB, Haaland and Rodri.

However, the concern with this method is that they have set up their academy to allow them to have a large number of very talented players coming through over the next 3-5 years which would be padding up their squad once they are back to the PL. They also have access to their multi-club network which has been accumulating talent over the past decade and these players would have a clear pathway to City and the PL should they get promoted after one season in the championship.

So, whilst they might not compete for the title for a few years, they will be able to quickly re-tool and find themselves in the top half very quickly.

So, whilst they might not compete for the title for a few years, they will be able to quickly re-tool and find themselves in the top half very quickly.

Under new owners who'll follow the same rules as the other 19 teams i can live with that

Under new owners who'll follow the same rules as the other 19 teams i can live with that
I don't think their owners will be made to sell, unless they decide to expel them from the PL. If its just a 60 point deduction that ends up relegating them, then they won't go as far as stipulating that their owners must also sell for them to be promoted back into the PL.

Wonder what would damage them more, a one off relegation, or do something like 100 points of deductions over the next 4 seasons.

25 points deducted each season from 24/25 through 27/28. Keeping them away from winning the league and struggling to get any European football for 4 consecutive seasons, regardless of how well they play.

Wonder what would damage them more, a one off relegation, or do something like 100 points of deductions over the next 4 seasons.

25 points deducted each season from 24/25 through 27/28. Keeping them away from winning the league and struggling to get any European football for 4 consecutive seasons, regardless of how well they play.

Need expulsion and stripping of titles but accepted that's never gonna happen with these authorities

I don't think their owners will be made to sell, unless they decide to expel them from the PL. If its just a 60 point deduction that ends up relegating them, then they won't go as far as stipulating that their owners must also sell for them to be promoted back into the PL.
Honestly, its the most rational punishment. Dropping them down to league 2 is fine and all but after 16 years of dragging this out I dont know how things could go back to normal with the same people in charge.
I dont see a 60 point deduction for 115 charges being likely when everton are getting a 6 point deduction for one charge they cooperated with.

Do you really believe anything substantial will happen? If there is no sporting penalty, there is no pain that will be felt by the club. No pain, no real consequences. No one is waiting until 2035, and everyone will have forgotten.
Yes, I think their EPL titles will be voided and they'll be expelled from the league for at least 5 seasons.

Funny how a few years ago you couldnt post in here about citys obvious cheating without a barrage of city fans crying sour grapes and acting as if it was all just a bitter conspiracy theory. Here we are a couple of weeks before probably the biggest and most consequential cheating trial in the history of english football and they seem to be gone quiet. Funny that.
Just bored having the same circular debate with the same people.
You in particular.
No matter what the conclusion is no punishment will be harsh enough for you if guilty and no innocent/not proven verdict will be accepted, so what's the point?
Any Blue putting their head above the parapet just subjects themselves to a pile on by those who's minds are already made up.

You in particular.
No matter what the conclusion is no punishment will be harsh enough for you if guilty and no innocent/not proven verdict will be accepted, so what's the point?
Any Blue putting their head above the parapet just subjects themselves to a pile on by those who's minds are already made up.
Genuine question for you, if you are found guilty, what impacts (if any) will there be on you as fans do you think? Do you think there will be much dissent directed towards the owners?

You in particular.
Well, there's a reason to that...

The issue is if they are found guilty I can’t think of any punishment the EPL would actually do that wouldn’t have made the cheating worthwhile. They are now completely dominating the EPL and have been amongst the top dogs in Europe via that cheating if found guilty for a decade - they’ve made it and are established - the only fitting punishment is crippling them to ensure that no longer is the case which means huge financial penalties, transfer bans and massive points deductions across multiple seasons - is that really going to happen?

Unfortunately, I think those who are in the "I'll lose interest in the PL if City don't get punished" are in the minority, think it'll only be Everton, United and maybe Arsenal and Liverpool fans who will likely be most annoyed at this, every other team/fans seems to think City are good for the league, it doesn't help when the media still have their tongues fully in City's rectum.

This will be a slap on the wrist due to governmental relations (which annoys me more than the obvious City cheating) and it'll be swept under the carpet as it hasn't really been mentioned in the press anyway (annoys me just as much as the City cheating).

While this will cause a slight dip in viewers for the league, it's only going to hurt United, Everton, Arsenal and Liverpool anyway as it'll be them losing viewers, so City and the rest of the dodgy teams will have double wins.

Cnuts.

Why am I dying on a hill all of a sudden? I’m just saying I get why outlets don’t talk about something extensively when there isn’t much to go into yet.

For me the annoying thing is it seems to be actively avoided. Every victory and cup is celebrated like nothing is happening.

As a side, in other sports wouldn't teams/athletes be suspended during such an investigation to maintain sporting integrity?

People need to lower they expetaction because money talks.

And honest if they are not expelled to lowest tier of English football I will lose my interest in EPL. I love UTD but I am old to waste my time on rigged comps.

You in particular.

You've just ignored my point here though. I said that years ago, before there was an enormous case being brought by the league, city fans just dismissed everyone as bitter and did some of the most hypocritical mental gymnastics to defend their brutal owners at all costs against any suggestion of cheating. Now at the very least its been proven that it's not a tin pot conspiracy, but a case that lawyers believe is punishable and that the league seems prepared to damage the leagues reputation by pursuing. The goalposts just shift and i suspect will shift if they're found guilty. City fans got giddy on day 1 of success and buried their heads in the sands.

You don't owe it to me to go over things that's fair. But I hope City get absolutely obliterated by this, though you're right, i suspect that the same cheating and politics that made it possible at all is what will get them out of it

Yeah I'm in the camp of no longer engaging with top level football if they get the expected weak punishment, because what is the point. The game is already rotten enough, this'd be the last straw for me.

A shame, but I expect the PL will soldier on without the handful of us who draw the line..

You've just ignored my point here though. I said that years ago, before there was an enormous case being brought by the league, city fans just dismissed everyone as bitter and did some of the most hypocritical mental gymnastics to defend their brutal owners at all costs against any suggestion of cheating. Now at the very least its been proven that it's not a tin pot conspiracy, but a case that lawyers believe is punishable and that the league seems prepared to damage the leagues reputation by pursuing. The goalposts just shift and i suspect will shift if they're found guilty. City fans got giddy on day 1 of success and buried their heads in the sands.

You don't owe it to me to go over things that's fair. But I hope City get absolutely obliterated by this, though you're right, i suspect that the same cheating and politics that made it possible at all is what will get them out of it
As I said earlier, no point in discussing with you as you've taken a position and have your reaction to any possible outcome to the case pre-planned.

If City are wholly guilty the punishment will be too lenient.

If City are partially guilty, they got away with some stuff. They are cheating bastards and the punishment is too lenient.

If City are cleared, they are cheating bastards and got off because of expensive lawyers and/or governmental interference.

Right?

It did taint juventus to be fair and still does. I certainly can't think of them they way i used to and that's despite the fact that they were a club with a fantastic history and recent history and legendary players.

City were getting battered by Middlesbrough and nobody really knew they existed then they cheated. They've no good history in the bank whatsoever. They are a repulsive club even in 'success'.
I don't think Juventus have any trouble attracting top players and staff. They have mismanaged their resources in the last few years (since they got Ronaldo), but don't see how they've been tainted, to be honest.

As for City, they were already on the rise with Shinavatra's ownership. I am 1000% certain that even if they're sent to League 2 and take 3 years to get back to the Premier League, they will still have zero problems getting top talent in any position they want.

Professionals follow the money. As long as City can offer competitive compensation, they will be able to attract whoever they want.

Genuine question for you, if you are found guilty, what impacts (if any) will there be on you as fans do you think? Do you think there will be much dissent directed towards the owners?
Happy to answer this one.

On the whole the long standing "heritage" fans will mostly shrug their shoulders, tell themselves it's been a great ride and continue supporting their club through thick and thin as they have done before.
They'll ignore the politics and off field stuff because football is dirty.
Every club has skeletons in their cupboard and the one's shouting the loudest have the most to hide.

The newer breed will probably mostly lose interest and hook up with another team or player to idolise.

If found guilty and it's basically proven that they only got where they are by financially doping themselves up to the eyeballs, and they give City a massive points deduction for this season, here is a very shallow look at who will have been shafted of things and who will benefit:

11/12 - United
13/14 - Liverpool
17/18 - United (2nd time)
18/19 - Liverpool (2nd time)
20/21 - United (3rd time)
21/22 - Liverpool (3rd time)
22/23 - Arsenal
23/24 - Arsenal (2nd time)
24/25 - Likely Arsenal gifted a PL if points deduction happens for this season.

Why should solely Arsenal benefit? Yes they happen to be the second best at this current moment but Utd and Liverpool would be just as deserving. Just because the investigation/trial has been dragged this long Utd and Liverpool get nothing for their multiple year efforts against a doped up club?

You either do all or none imo. Otherwise there's no integrity.