City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

I was sure about it before this happened but now I am not. Football is a cornerstone for English culture and they let these lot in their den. A case that could have resulted in a slap on the wrist is now a bigger deal now because of City's latest actions. City winning this case means EPL will become nothing more than a head to head battle ground between Saudis and Abu Dhabi.

I also find it funny that the reported clubs Everton and Chelsea backing City think this will benefit them.

If City win then its over for the football pyramid and competitiveness, there is no way Clearlake or Everton will compete with state backed funding.

They struggle to compete now, imagine if there are no restrictions to their spending?

I also find it funny that the reported clubs Everton and Chelsea backing City think this will benefit them.

If City win then its over for the football pyramid and competitiveness, there is no way Clearlake or Everton will compete with state backed funding.

They struggle to compete now, imagine if there are no restrictions to their spending?
Everton in particular aren't looking to compete with Man City, they just don't want points deductions for putting money into the club.

Everton in particular aren't looking to compete with Man City, they just don't want points deductions for putting money into the club.

Those are the rules they have signed up to. If they dont like them, opt out the premier league imo.

If you mismanage your books, you will suffer the consequences. United and Everton are in the same boat, we get away with it because we are a bigger club commercially.

They make poor signings like United, players like Moise Kean, Gbamin, Beto and even signings like James.

They are also building a new stadium, remember Arsenal had to cut spending due to stadium costs.

I'm not sure the level of corruption will ever be truly discovered. They are going to hinder any investigation & just throw money at lawyers.
Peps achievements will be forever tainted by the cheating ownership. Just kick them out and get it over with !!!
Nah, it will, someone will let something slip.

Man city owners and lawyers are like the turd that wont flush.

Fecking hell this is a farce now.
The fact they are going to be hated rather than just disregarded by the majority of the PL clubs and the EFL if they win just doesn't seem to register with them. The fact their players will end up as the easy target for the hate as well.

Every bit of what’s been written in this thread for years now is coming to pass. Spectacularly so.
It's amazing how it ever happened really but then it just felt inevitable when they cam in. You basically let them do what they want (which by the way, I don't think they've even done that well considering they've completely outspent everyone and now it looks the gap in spending is even more ridiculous than we already know) until something doesn't go their way and then they will throw all their toys out of the pram. In a way, the gov has no option but to back the PL because the alternative is so obviously going to turn the PL into some minor European league over time. Football is always working in cycles, Serie A was top, then La Liga, I couldn't really see how the PL would relinquish top spot given the money, but I guess this is it. Become some monopoly league of a team no one really cares about and have the colossal international fan base gradually move it's attention's elsewhere.

The fact they are going to be hated rather than just disregarded by the majority of the PL clubs and the EFL if they win just doesn't seem to register with them. The fact their players will end up as the easy target for the hate as well.

Except PSG and Newcastle fans, Most of the football world do not respect their club or the players "achivements" when everything is built on a foundation by sand and cheating on all aspects.

And what they are doing now mate, will only enhance the hate and lack of respect the rest of the world have for them. But like you say it does not seem to register with them.

City’s net spend since pep took over is 4th. At the end of the day given United’s net spend they should have done better.

Arsenal, Liverpool and United have all wrangled the FFP rules to their own advantage(amongst other things, e.g. cup rules) , whilst hiding behind sponsors from unethical companies with sweat shops / funding terrorists etc. Then cry foul because City have spent less(but more than you’d like) and dared to get into the self appointed elite. The only thing you lot care about is your position.

The teams in the league who are supporting City make sense to me. If you want the rest of the league on side introduce a wage cap and salary cap that is obtainable for everyone! or why shouldn’t we want to burn it down? the rest are damned if we do and damned if we don’t.

Crying about your own position being taken whilst trying to pull up the draw bridge on everyone else is hilarious. Also Liverpool’s sponsor being linked to terrorism is a big deal, people cry about betting companies yet turn a blind eye to this it seems. Frankly, it’s all disgusting.

https://www.givemesport.com/every-p...et-spend-since-pep-guardiola-joined-man-city/
I'm all for contrasting opinions but I feel you're jumbling everything into one and also not really understanding the issue here.

Net spend is calculated on what comes in versus what goes out, so if a club is inflating what comes in (there isn't a grey area here, in 2011 they effectively valued themselves as the most valuable football club in the world with their £400m deal) so surely you see the issue with pointing out net spend as any kind of metric. That doesn't mean City have not sold academy players well, or reaped huge amount of money from winning things but then, again, that income is gained via cheating. So you have two huge factors, both under investigation, of building a successful team via cheating and also financing a team dishonestly.

That doesn't mean United should not have done better, we've been run appallingly but you can point to the very easy example of klopp/Pool of a club working well, finding a good manager and still having success with about a quarter, maybe even less, spend as City.

I get a lot of people have grown up hating United, I really don't get the idea of a cartel though as you can literally see our decline before your own eyes and we are the historical behemoths of the division. If you look through the facade of City trying to make this about 'us vs them' it's a country trying to buy a league, not a team, the UAE want to buy the league which is good for no one.

Re sponsors and terrorism/child labour, the PL has a duty to investigate all sponsors and maybe a bi-product of all this will be increased scrutiny and when things are found, they should be dealt with accordingly.

I don't get the point on FFP, it really doesn't stop other teams growing (I'd argue it handicaps the richer/bigger teams more), I don't understand your sentence on salary cap.

City’s net spend since pep took over is 4th. At the end of the day given United’s net spend they should have done better.

Arsenal, Liverpool and United have all wrangled the FFP rules to their own advantage(amongst other things, e.g. cup rules) , whilst hiding behind sponsors from unethical companies with sweat shops / funding terrorists etc. Then cry foul because City have spent less(but more than you’d like) and dared to get into the self appointed elite. The only thing you lot care about is your position.

The teams in the league who are supporting City make sense to me. If you want the rest of the league on side introduce a wage cap and salary cap that is obtainable for everyone! or why shouldn’t we want to burn it down? the rest are damned if we do and damned if we don’t.

Crying about your own position being taken whilst trying to pull up the draw bridge on everyone else is hilarious. Also Liverpool’s sponsor being linked to terrorism is a big deal, people cry about betting companies yet turn a blind eye to this it seems. Frankly, it’s all disgusting.

https://www.givemesport.com/every-p...et-spend-since-pep-guardiola-joined-man-city/

Not the ridiculous net spend argument again, it means absolute feck all, especially if you're fudging your books to begin with

Chelsea and Newcastle backing City isn't surprising.

Incredible to think that if the takeover at United had gone the other way and the Qataris had won (as many on here hoped they would), United would almost certainly be on City's side in this battle.

Incidentally, in case anyone was wondering whether supporting the Qatari takeover at United last year and now condemning City for their flagrant rule breaches regarding related party transactions makes them a massive hypocritie, it does.

Last edited:

New member?

I for one am shocked!

Incredible to think that if the takeover at United had gone the other way and the Qataris had won (as many on here hoped they would), United would almost certainly be on City's side in this battle.

Incidentally, in case you were wondering whether supporting the Qatari takeover at United last year and now condemning City for their flagrant rule breaches regarding related party transactions makes you a massive hypocritie, it does.
The point has always been we don’t need a sugar daddy as such, more that we need someone to repay all the debt and sort the footballing side of the club out and then leave the club to run itself- we are in a very different position to City as we can finance everything from the clubs income alone without resorting to cheating. People were pro Qatar as they offered both sides of the equation whilst Ineos really only solve the footballing side.

New members popping up to defend City is hilariously blatant.

I must say after years of seeing this shite ignored, it's nice, albeit a bit bittersweet, to see it talked about in the mainstream, sadly its too late.

Not the ridiculous net spend argument again, it means absolute feck all, especially if you're fudging your books to begin with

Net spend is the metric if you want to compare how well clubs are investing their money on transfers, and there is no evidence of anything being wrong with those numbers from City.

The point has always been we don’t need a sugar daddy as such, more that we need someone to repay all the debt and sort the footballing side of the club out and then leave the club to run itself- we are in a very different position to City as we can finance everything from the clubs income alone without resorting to cheating. People were pro Qatar as they offered both sides of the equation whilst Ineos really only solve the footballing side.
That only works around the current competitive levels of spend though. With related party sponsor controls off, and the clubs we are competing with doubling / tripling or more the expenditure we can't compete with that so easily at all, even with our commercial strength. Any owner will, if they want to compete, have to resort to the same tactics around sponsorships eventually. For Qatar that would have been a lot easier than Ineos, but only if they were willing to do the same sponsorship dodginess.

The case that City have filed is an indirect admission of guilt based on current regulations.

The Qataris would have done exactly the same thing at United as they have done at PSG. We'd have had a raft of sponsorship deals from Qatari-based companies at way above market value within five minutes of them coming through the door. Everyone knew this, especially the Qatari takeover supporters, who were already dreaming of fantasy lineups of galacticos that United could never possibly have afforded without 'associated party transactions' (state sponsorship). These people are really in no position to criticise Man City (or City fans) if they want to avoid being labelled hypocrites.

If the Qataris had somehow won, today we would have been reading reports in the press that United were joining their neighbours in their battle against the scourge of the Premier League's financial sustainability rules.

The Qataris would have done exactly the same thing at United as they have done at PSG. We'd have had a raft of sponsorship deals from Qatari-based companies at way above market value within five minutes of them coming through the door. Everyone knew this, especially the Qatari takeover supporters, who were already dreaming of fantasy lineups of galacticos that United could never possibly have afforded without related party transactions (state sponsorship). These people are really in no position to criticise Man City (or City fans) if they want to avoid being labelled hypocrites.
We’ve outspent the likes of Barca and Real since Fergie retired, those two have had near galactico 11s at one point in the last decade, we’ve pissed away over £1bn in transfers even with the debt repayments, we could easily have built a super team without Qatari money but the debt is never getting repaid or the stadium properly remade without an owner like that, that’s why many people were pro Qatar, I’m not sure what they’re money could do that we already can’t without the debt, we can afford almost any player in the world even now.

He’s also ignoring the stupid money they spent before Pep arrived, including some big buys just before he was unveiled.