City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

Be surprised if anything happens, it'll just be a fine. Remember that European ban fiasco. Whatever the announcement, they'll appeal and get a slap on the wrist.
They can't appeal in this case. As has been said this is the PL reputation at stake, get the punishment wrong and it's reputation would be in the mud.

Kaveh from sky sports saying they have broke the rules of FFP in the league over 100 times last 9 years. A light punishment will not bode well to ward off new investors doing the same thing City have done.

Well this is a complete shock.......Said no-one ever.

About time these absolute frauds were exposed properly.

If the outcome is only a fine then why should any club give two fecks about FFP!
There is no way City escape a points deduction with what happened barely weeks ago to Juventus. Would make a mockery of the FA and the PL. Titles will stay but i think they will get double digits points penalty.

Its at such a volume, if they found 100 you can bet theres at least triple that in reality, that I wonder if players are going to start having trouble in the industry.

I mean, if you are kane, some of the current scouse team, there are city players who have taken titles off you, took chances for trophies and playing the CL away from you, and looked you in the eye like they are your mate at England meetups. All the while knowing, because they were likely in reciept of under the table payments themsleves, City were cheating.

Outrageous accusations and certain to be a fine that could rise to the....tens of thousands.

Reduced to £2,000 payable over 8 years.

The commission will have the chance to make up opinion in a short trip to Abu Dhabi. They will recognize the open dealing with money and find a fair solution.

Yep, also their wage bill would need some extreme "trimming" with a lower league level income and sponsorships :drool: - least not because i would assume most of their current sponsors are those inflated/fake ones who've gotten them in trouble!

yep

One single relegation ruins them. Its also real possibility looking at it

What fantastic news to wake up to, can’t believe there were people who seriously thought they were just a well run club ffs :lol: Absolutely embarrassing

This is unprecedented, so it depends how big of a mark the PL wants to leave on them.
However, I wouldn’t be surprised if the lawyers of other teams step in and add some pressure about the harm that’s been caused (titles, CL & EL qualifications, transfer targets etc).

Abu Dhabi, like Qatar, are too politically connected with the British establishment and government to be meaningfully penalised.

They would threaten to cancel investment in the UK (at a time when the country needs it most) and would get KSA to join them (who are no doubt following this given they own Newcastle now).

If this were true, it wouldn't have got this far and they'd have escaped charges in the first place. There was no public pressure for this and it has caught most people by surprise.

What fantastic news to wake up to, can’t believe there were people who seriously thought they were just a well run club ffs :lol: Absolutely embarrassing

This is unprecedented, so it depends how big of a mark the PL wants to leave on them.
However, I wouldn’t be surprised if the lawyers of other teams step in and add some pressure about the harm that’s been caused (titles, CL & EL qualifications, transfer targets etc).

i think it will be extreme for City and will ruin them

They're screwed tbh, I can't see a way out for them. There are nearly 100 charges and no CAS to appeal to. Even if they get cleared of 30 charges (unlikely I'd say), they're still up shit creek without a paddle. The question will be the severity of the sanctions. As things stand I actually find it really hard to see them escape a relegation, perhaps even lower than the championship. A one off points deduction would definitely feel inadequate given the scale and scope of the charges alongside the deceitful nature of the offences + the attempted cover ups.
Oh, you sweet summer child...

Abu Dhabi, like Qatar, are too politically connected with the British establishment and government to be meaningfully penalised.

They would threaten to cancel investment in the UK (at a time when the country needs it most) and would get KSA to join them (who are no doubt following this given they own Newcastle now).
They all know what is required to get big things done in Europe - grease the ruling class. Just that the gulf states are more egregious when it comes to money. I am actually wondering if this ruling has been made because of geopolitics. The gulf states aren't singing the anglosphere's hymn sheet.

Why everyone avoiding what the premier league doing, and just pretending nothing will happen.

The CAS situation was completely different, got off with technicalities.

This is the premier league itself, different statutes, main media news, over 100 charges etc.

Their is nothing comparable to this ever from memory.

Your pessimism is well founded.

City managed to get Andrew McDougall as an arbiter (despite multiple lawyers questioning his neutrality) in the CAS case. Just at a glance you can visibly see he’s not fit to be a neutral party - he ran White and Case’s MENA office and had Etisalat and Etihad as bloody clients.

Oh and the chairman (therefore making up 2 of the 3 man panel along with Andrew McDougall) Rui Santos was recommended by City…

In an arbitration case, as one of the parties you are entitled to nominate an independent arbiter. That's how it works.

That's a completely different process to the appointment of an independent commission, of which City will have zero influence over its composition.

Imagine the uproar if this was us :lol:
I do remember some headlines from the past while United did nothing criminal in spending department. It went something like: Man United destroying football, Ed Woodward and his crazy policy etc... while City literally were buying titles.

Finally someone shines a light on it in 2023.

So they key thing now is stopping them getting their own people appointed to this independent panel.

We're going to League 2 if all those charges stick.

Well it was obvious. What's not understood is how the fk Chelsea are getting away with it

They will get fined and nothing more. The league doesn't have the bottle to do anything further.
I read somewhere it's an independent commission, not entirely sure if that means the league won't be the one deciding the punishment.