City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

30 points deduction would be an absolute piss take for over 100 rule breaches.

Why on Earth would any new owner give a shit about the rules, just pump money in non-stop, create a multi title winning team, then get a smacked arse & have one season finishing in 9th before being back in business the following season. Very very tiny price to pay, sure Citeh would be delighted with that.

they have to take away their titles and relegate them to league 2. that would piss off pep and the players

A 30 point deduction is not relative to a 10 point deduction for Everton’s crimes. It has to be relegation and much further down than the Championship.

Agreed. Basically saying do what you want for a decade but then take a gap year before doing it again.

Yep, and then they get to draw a line under it and carry on as if nothing has happened, all built on the back of revenue they should never have earnt.

For me if they're not taking titles off them, and checking long term, then don't bother.

If it is proven that City have indeed broken the rules then I'm sure every other club in the league will go absolutely apeshit.

All 19 other teams will have to be silenced by force. Klopp will need to be muzzled during press conferences. Ten Hag will be distracted with a really nice pair of clogs. Someone will turn the volume down on the little Arteta doll, or at the very least take him off of the Cnut Demo Mode that he's currently set to.

At that point, even if the UK Government's "special oversight committee" stick their grubby fingers in the manipulate the results, they will just shout louder. It's not like every other club in the league survives because they play against City. It'll probably increase the value of the league overall since City's exile will open up a spot for a club with an actual fan base who watch football matches.
It depends on “if it is proven”. Do you think UAE is waiting to see on what the conclusion of investigation will be? They are going to rig the investigation process and declare them not guilty. Hence the scenario of other clubs crying foul wont even happen.

A 30 point deduction is not relative to a 10 point deduction for Everton’s crimes. It has to be relegation and much further down than the Championship.

The PL have no say where City end up outside of not in the PL, they have no authority over the football league so can't say for example "Down to League 2 with them" etc.. they can either dock enough points for relegation to the Championship or they can expel City from the PL which then puts where City get placed in the hands of the football league. The football league could then put them where they want or could even opt not to take them which would see City pushed below the conference North and South... then it's on to the next organisation etc... But the punishment City get will either be a deduction or expulsion, the PL can't decide on anything outside of that.

City could get deducted 30 points and they'll still finish above us ffs

The PL have no say where City end up outside of not in the PL, they have no authority over the football league so can't say for example "Down to League 2 with them" etc.. they can either dock enough points for relegation to the Championship or they can expel City from the PL which then puts where City get placed in the hands of the football league. The football league could then put them where they want or could even opt not to take them which would see City pushed below the conference North and South... then it's on to the next organisation etc... But the punishment City get will either be a deduction or expulsion, the PL can't decide on anything outside of that.

After all the punishments for whatever the 115 charges have proved, there should be a further 5 year ban from promotion to the PL, one for each of the years that City have refused to cooperate. City can steamroller the Championship all they like, the PL should only accept the candidates ignoring the existence of City until the promotion ban is done. The PL can't affect what the FL does, but it can decline City's promotion.

Pep said he will leave if he finds out tbe club lied to him although we dont actually know what the club told him so we wont actually know if they lied to him or not

City told Pep all about their cheating so they haven’t lied to him.
That will be the line

If we take Everton’s punishment today as a barometer…

Chelsea being relegated would be appropriate.

For City and their 100+ charges, relegation would be no where near enough. The PL would lose all credibility. Being relegated to the bottom tier of English football with their accomplishments de-legitimised would send out a statement.

But we all know both of these “self-made giants” are going to get off with a slap on the wrist.

After all the punishments for whatever the 115 charges have proved, there should be a further 5 year ban from promotion to the PL, one for each of the years that City have refused to cooperate. City can steamroller the Championship all they like, the PL should only accept the candidates ignoring the existence of City until the promotion ban is done. The PL can't affect what the FL does, but it can decline City's promotion.

I'm actually curious if thats possible, if the PL can say you are suspended from the PL for x years.

It would be like finding out that Bayern has bought off every referee for the last decade. How would anything other than tearing down their league wins and making it so they couldn't do it again be fair? Their reputation would need to be destroyed, because it's a fraudulent reputation.

All the little scrotes I see wearing City tops need to feel shame. A City top should be the equivalent of wearing a "Lance Armstrong Tour De France Winner" shirt: it should make you feel embarrassed you own it.

City can't have a monetary punishment, so it has to be relegation and stripping of titles. Their lawyers can feck off because unless it's a criminal act they are charged with, they can't argue with the league's treatment of them. I mean, they can try to argue, but they aren't appealing to a nonpartisan sporting body. It would be like arguing with a referee after a match.

Last edited:
30 points would still be money well spent. They’ve cheated their way to a fecking treble.

Punishment has to involve stripping titles (as that was ultimately the reason they did it), a lengthy transfer ban, and possibly relegation.

I'm actually curious if thats possible, if the PL can say you are suspended from the PL for x years.

I don't see why it isn't possible.

If the PL do expel City (which I have little faith in them doing), the issue for City then becomes whether any of the other leagues are willing to accept them.

In this scenario, the EFL may well say they also want nothing to do with them, even in League Two. Which leaves the National League, who may say the same. Which then leaves the Northern Premier League, and so on, until you end up at the Manchester League at the 11th to 15th levels of the pyramid.

Not one of these bodies has an obligation to accept them.

I don't see why it isn't possible.

If the PL do expel City (which I have little faith in them doing), the issue for City then becomes whether any of the other leagues are willing to accept them.

In this scenario, the EFL may well say they also want nothing to do with them, even in League Two. Which leaves the National League, who may say the same. Which then leaves the Northern Premier League, and so on, until you end up at the Manchester League at the 11th to 15th levels of the pyramid.

Not one of these bodies has an obligation to accept them.

Exactly it adds an interesting element to explusion as opposed to just being docked 100 points or something.

Exactly it adds an interesting element to explusion as opposed to just being docked 100 points or something.

Even a 100 points deduction will only be tokenistic. If they're found guilty, it has to be more.

With a 100 points deduction, City could just get their players to hang on one season while they breeze the Championship, and they're right back up there. The season they get the 100 points deduction, they go all out on the CL, and winning it qualifies them again. Even if they don't, winning the FA Cup gets them Europa League while they're in the Championship, and winning that gets them CL.

It's just not a good enough punishment.

Even a 100 points deduction will only be tokenistic. If they're found guilty, it has to be more.

With a 100 points deduction, City could just get their players to hang on one season while they breeze the Championship, and they're right back up there. The season they get the 100 points deduction, they go all out on the CL, and winning it qualifies them again. Even if they don't, winning the FA Cup gets them Europa League while they're in the Championship, and winning that gets them CL.

It's just not a good enough punishment.

They would never survive in The Championship if they kept their current players, the loss of the tv money, and no European football would cripple them abd leave them unable to pay tbe huge wages their players are on especially if their sponsors pull out as well.

They would never survive in The Championship if they kept their current players, the loss of the tv money, and no European football would cripple them abd leave them unable to pay tbe huge wages their players are on especially if their sponsors pull out as well.

They've got enough fake sponsors to weather the storm for a season.

It's also not a guarantee of no European football.

If they got a 100 point deduction, they could just go all out for the cups. Winning the CL would get them CL (and cynically the could get third, drop to Europa, and have an "easier" path to CL). Winning the FA Cup would get them Europa, which if they won in the Championship would get them CL upon their return to the PL.

It depends on “if it is proven”. Do you think UAE is waiting to see on what the conclusion of investigation will be? They are going to rig the investigation process and declare them not guilty. Hence the scenario of other clubs crying foul wont even happen.
In a perfect world I would say "be optimistic - they will be charged to the fullest extent of the law." But money talks...

A 30-point deduction won't relegate City but will surely relegate Chelsea to the lower division.
The worst thing to come from this saga is that Liverpool will now be this season's champions!

The PL aren't obliged to accept anyone who doesn't follow their rules. Clubs whose grounds don't satisfy the PL's qualifications can theoretically be denied PL status if the PL doesn't feel like bending their rules to admit them.

They can loan out most of the players for 1 season to comply with FFP for that year in the championship. They will come back straight up after 1 season. Don't even worry about sponsors, Etihad has their back or in fact UAE.

They can even make money loaning out their star players. After 1 season in the championship, the 115 charges gone.

It's a pretty good deal if it's just relegation to championship. The charges are many times more serious than Everton. Payments to managers and players using secret dodgy offshore accounts, fake inflated sponsors, "creative" accounting to comply with FFP, refused to co-operate with UEFA and PL, and the list goes on and on.

I still don't think City will be heavily punished. Like it or not, football is full of corruption, politic, money and power.

Look at Qatar, a country with only about 300K citizens, a small country in the desert was able to win the right to host World Cup and must be held in winter disrupting world football schedule. In the process, built many stadiums that become white elephant and thousands workers were killed.

Anything happened to Qatar?

if you put any stock or value in the premier league being fair or wishing to come down hard on the likes of city, you’re a fecking idiot, and you deserve everything you get. this is politics in sport. right or wrong doesn’t matter, only paying the right or wrong person. football is fecked. move on.

A 30-point deduction won't relegate City but will surely relegate Chelsea to the lower division.
The worst thing to come from this saga is that Liverpool will now be this season's champions!
I think it would be between Arsenal and ourselves in that scenario. Arsenal would fancy it as much as we would.

Apart from point deduction, there needs to be a lengthy ban from the premier league or else it will just be a slap on the wrist. Another sugar daddy can just do the same, write off one season of punishment and continues to steam roll and ruin the whole league. I am just not sure if premier league has the iron in them to do the right thing.

No punishment other than title stripping and relegation is enough for City. They have State backing and it needs to absolutely extreme form of punishment possible otherwise it won’t make any difference to them

Their sponsors are owned by the same people that own the club. Etihad is the national airline of the UAE also owned by the Al Nahyan family who own City.

City this year announced record revenues. As in, no team in history (Madrid, Barcelona and us included) have ever recorded such revenues. 115 charges and they're still doing it.

Which is why with this Everton announcement I'm 100% sure that City and Chelsea will be given some sort of point deduction. Everyone and their dog knows that City have been involved in dodgy stuff, the PL will take a major integrity hit for turning a blind eye to City and punishing Everton so harshly.

You have to feel for Everton here, If the same punishment isn't received by other FFP violators they should take the FA and PL to court and hopefully they get their dues.

Does anyone honestly believe they will get punished with anything significant?

Can’t wait for City to get annihilated

You will be waiting a long time,so harsh on Everton to get punished like this but City just call on their high flying lawyers and it's sorted. This 30 point deduction would be absolutely pathetic. They wouldn't lose any players unless it was a relegation (no way) and the UAE mafia will ensure that doesn't happen

Does anyone honestly believe they will get punished with anything significant?
Nope. I think all this speculative talk of relegation or even 30 points is pure fantasy. The British government will probably intervene too at the behest of the Emiratis.

I honestly think their lawyers will tie the charges down to submission and at worst City get a £115million fine or something symbolic.

City could get deducted 30 points and they'll still finish above us ffs
I appreciate the combination of spot-on sarcasm and reflection of our current sad reality in this post

I think it would be between Arsenal and ourselves in that scenario. Arsenal would fancy it as much as we would.

Can’t stand either club but that would be a fascinating season and I would watch every game. Right now I watch very little other than United games because what’s the point? City has ruined the competition as a sporting spectacle with their cheating.

I don’t see them getting a meaningful penalty though.

they have to take away their titles and relegate them to league 2. that would piss off pep and the players

I say it's more than that: it would mean Pep gets blacklisted by most top clubs and leagues out there. We have to remember that an investigation is ongoing in Spain about FC Barcelona and bribing of referees in a period in which Pep was a manager there.

As for the rightful punishment for City, I say stripping them off all titles won during the targeted period is a no-brainer on top of relegation several levels below. As to where they would end up, that remains open although the loss of revenue and reputation can and would certainly hurt them. I also agree with this post below in the context that City have not cooperated at all with the investigation.

I doubt anyone would want a title from 7 years back - or 5 years back. The most important thing to me is to hurt whoever cheats so strongly, that it never happens again. Let them keep their cheating titles if they want - to me it is more important to hurt the club so bad it takes them years to recover, even with money.

Demote them to the Championship and let them start the first 3 seasons in the Premier League after promotion with points reduction. The first season 30 points, the second season 20 points and the third season 10 points. And also ban them from participating in Europe for 3 seasons.

That would be a fair punishment in my mind. Well - not really fair, they deserve worse - but as strong as we possibly can get