Christian Eriksen Denmark flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

7.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Bruno's wastefulness is predominantly in the final third. I can name more examples of Eriksen costing us goals by getting dispossessed in his own half than Bruno, despite the fact that Bruno played hundreds more minutes since we signed Eriksen.

I don't think you can. Eriksen is a much more tidy player. But he doesn't have the tank to play CM and shouldn't be used as one. And he also not as productive as Bruno. He should be rotation for Bruno against lesser opponents and that's it.

It's not just top 6 teams though. He's struggled against mid-table and even well drilled lower teams in most of his matches since the Andy Carroll tackle.

Yeah in CM, that’s why people wants to try him at his natural position as a number 10 now with Bruno being out of form.

I personally think we should use Eriksen when Bruno isn’t playing and when he needs rest. I think Bruno plays too mamy minutes. Casemiro, Ugarte and Eriksen is how we should use him, but EtH doesn’t seem to think so.

And now with Mount back Eriksen will probably go back to the bench.

Said it last season but I think he is more important to how we play when we play well than people realise. Even recently the fact that we’ve had more control has allowed Martinez and DeLigt to step up. Yesterday when we were dominant they were challenging for balls in Palaces half.

Something that caused so many issues last season and even this season. Gets the ball just keeps it moving and is always giving people easy passing options. Something that none of the others really do.

There is also no point in hiding from the fact that in his time here there have been spells where his lack of athleticism has been exposed and people have just ran off him or caught him in possesion. But we really do need to find players for midfield that can bring similar traits.

There was the goal in the Allianz where he didn't have his windmirrors on and got dispossessed in his own half. One of the goals in the 6-3 vs City. I don't want to act like I'm hating on Eriksen as he's a good rotation option. He's put in a couple of good performances vs a mid table team and relegation fodder, and I'm glad to see him getting the minutes that were given to Mctominay last season, but the overreaction on here to say that we should be dropping Bruno to give Eriksen more gametime is madness.
Bruno lost the ball 34 times in one game. It would take Eriksen 10 games to lose it that much

Bruno lost the ball 34 times in one game. It would take Eriksen 10 games to lose it that much
If Eriksen also had the chance creation per 90 stats that were close to Bruno's then maybe we can talk about Eriksen offering more than Bruno. Besides, I was referring to Eriksen getting dispossessed in his own half and costing us goals. Bruno predominately loses the ball in the final third, hence it's not as big of an issue.
I don't think you can. Eriksen is a much more tidy player. But he doesn't have the tank to play CM and shouldn't be used as one. And he also not as productive as Bruno. He should be rotation for Bruno against lesser opponents and that's it.
I just did mate. Can you name more specific examples of Bruno being dispossessed in his own half leading to the opposition scoring? I agree with the rest of your post.

If Eriksen also had the chance creation per 90 stats that were close to Bruno's then maybe we can talk about Eriksen offering more than Bruno. Besides, I was referring to Eriksen getting dispossessed in his own half and costing us goals. Bruno predominately loses the ball in the final third, hence it's not as big of an issue.
34 times

Who can replace him? I think a younger, more dynamic version of him should be 1 of our main priorities coming winter/summer.

I honestly think Joao Neves would've been what we needed to crack the bottom halve of the EPL. With an upgraded Eriksen and wingers who start scoring United could become really good again.

Okay then, completely ignore the points I made and instead just repeat the same thing over and over again. I didn't realise my 6 year old nephew created a caf account.
Your argument is that Eriksen lost it in 2 games over the last 3 years and it led to goals. That's your argument for someone losing the ball 34 times in one game. I'm just stressing how bad Bruno is playing and how much time it would take Eriksen to replicate those figures.

The reason Bruno creates more and the reason Eriksen lost possessions might lead to goals are the same. Bruno plays in attack and Eriksen plays in midfield. Eriksen should be played ahead of Bruno because he takes way more care with the ball and our game is becoming more reliant on that sort of player. He might not make as many assists but the team will score more.

Playing him 3 times a week is the kind of mistake ETH shouldnt be making.

The more he plays, the more it shows how much we made a mistake not getting someone of his profile this summer.

Your argument is that Eriksen lost it in 2 games over the last 3 years and it led to goals. That's your argument for someone losing the ball 34 times in one game. I'm just stressing how bad Bruno is playing and how much time it would take Eriksen to replicate those figures.

The reason Bruno creates more and the reason Eriksen lost possessions might lead to goals are the same. Bruno plays in attack and Eriksen plays in midfield. Eriksen should be played ahead of Bruno because he takes way more care with the ball and our game is becoming more reliant on that sort of player. He might not make as many assists but the team will score more.
It's happened in more than 2 games during Eriksen's United career and you know it. It has been a frequent irk for many people on the caf.

If you look at Bruno's touch map, he does pick up the ball in his own half a lot. He's more sensible with his passing there than in the final third, and he also has the spatial awareness to ensure he releases the ball when the opposition presses him. He has the stamina and work rate to be up and down the pitch rather than just staying in attack (as you seem to be implying). Whereas Eriksen does not have the legs to cover the distance Bruno covers every game. Thankfully I'm confident Ten Hag won't take your advice on board as we'd have very little energy in midfield if Eriksen started ahead of Bruno in future PL games.

It's happened in more than 2 games during Eriksen's United career and you know it. It has been a frequent irk for many people on the caf.

If you look at Bruno's touch map, he does pick up the ball in his own half a lot. He's more sensible with his passing there than in the final third, and he also has the spatial awareness to ensure he releases the ball when the opposition presses him. He has the stamina and work rate to be up and down the pitch rather than just staying in attack (as you seem to be implying). Whereas Eriksen does not have the legs to cover the distance Bruno covers every game. Thankfully I'm confident Ten Hag won't take your advice on board as we'd have very little energy in midfield if Eriksen started ahead of Bruno in future PL games.
Energy and giving the ball away. What a combo.

There's a reason we played our best stuff under Ten Hag up until the Newcastle league cup final and in the last 3 games. See if you can find what that reason is....

Energy and giving the ball away. What a combo.

There's a reason we played our best stuff under Ten Hag up until the Newcastle league cup final and in the last 3 games. See if you can find what that reason is....
Subjective and reductive statement. Firstly, I disagree that the first 30 mins of the Southampton game and the second half yesterday were better performances than the last 3 games of last season. Secondly, rarely is it simply only one reason/one player that determines whether we play at our best.

About creating chances. As I have stated before. Eriksen created more chances than everyone else in the group stages at the euros. KdB was second. You simply produce more chances at 10 than you do at 6/8. You cannot compare those stats to Brunos. Play him at 10, and he will create score a couple of goals. Is he better than Bruno. Right now it is a yes for me. He can´t press like Bruno though, and the captain will not be dropped. Therefore it is a futile discussion.

Subjective and reductive statement. Firstly, I disagree that the first 30 mins of the Southampton game and the second half yesterday were better performances than the last 3 games of last season. Secondly, rarely is it simply only one reason/one player that determines whether we play at our best.
It's as plain as the nose on your face. Eriksen makes us tick because he's a fantastic football player.

By the way Eriksen was at the top of the PL assist charts when he played there for Tottenham. It's not as if we would be giving up something by putting him in at 10. We'd just gain his press resistance and composure too.

I've a lot of respect for the player Bruno has become despite his glaring deficiencies but 34 lost possessions in one game isn't just a bad game. It's indicative of a player who can't deal with a modicum of pressing and has to cough it anywhere when the pressure does come. He's fantastic in the final 3rd when given time and/or space but given the team we're becoming we just won't be able to deal with his weaknesses anymore.

It's as plain as the nose on your face. Eriksen makes us tick because he's a fantastic football player.

By the way Eriksen was at the top of the PL assist charts when he played there for Tottenham. It's not as if we would be giving up something by putting him in at 10. We'd just gain his press resistance and composure too.

I've a lot of respect for the player Bruno has become despite his glaring deficiencies but 34 lost possessions in one game isn't just a bad game. It's indicative of a player who can't deal with a modicum of pressing and has to cough it anywhere when the pressure does come. He's fantastic in the final 3rd when given time and/or space but given the team we're becoming we just won't be able to deal with his weaknesses anymore.
You know Trent lost possession something dumb like 50 times the other day. KDB lost it 16 in one half and got subbed. It happens with players that play expansive passes and are creative. We just don't have anyone to replace his creativity, hence he doesn't get subbed. You've made up your mind on Bruno, fine, but let's not pretend this is some unbiased statistical analysis.

You know Trent lost possession something dumb like 50 times the other day. KDB lost it 16 in one half and got subbed. It happens with players that play expansive passes and are creative. We just don't have anyone to replace his creativity, hence he doesn't get subbed. You've made up your mind on Bruno, fine, but let's not pretend this is some unbiased statistical analysis.
Every season we're forced to bring up De Bruyne and Alexander-Arnold's pass completion percentage on this thread to contextualise Bruno's and every season it falls on deaf ears.

Eriksen is far from the player he was at Spurs under Pochettino. He started declining before they shipped him off to Inter. It's been years since he's been capable of playing as a number 10 week-in week-out for a top 4 PL team.

We do. You're in his thread
The last time Eriksen had Bruno's output was in 2018, you're living in a dreamworld.
Every season we're forced to bring up De Bruyne and Alexander-Arnold's pass completion percentage on this thread to contextualise Bruno's and every season it falls on deaf ears.

Eriksen is far from the player he was at Spurs under Pochettino. He started declining before they shipped him off to Inter. It's been years since he's been capable of playing as a number 10 week-in week-out for a top 4 PL team.
Even if you take some from the same game, Eze, he lost possession 17 times with 53 touches to Bruno's 34 from 112 touches. No one's suggesting he can't deal with pressure and hoofs under pressure.

Eriksen gets the Mata treatment on here. Be shite for months and it’s pretty tame criticism, have one or two good games and is suddenly class again and what the team needs.

I don’t care for Bruno but talk of dropping him for Eriksen is madness.

Eriksen is a proven liability at this level. One good game won’t change that.

I just did mate. Can you name more specific examples of Bruno being dispossessed in his own half leading to the opposition scoring? I agree with the rest of your post.

You know this is a daft way to set it up. Bruno has maybe played 2 matches at central midfield for us. He is usually way up high. He gives the ball away a lot more than Christian and is more wasteful in his passing because he tries more risky things. thats just a simple fact. 34 times in one match really says it all. But its always been a part of his play and if you play with Bruno you need a very strong defensive midfield behind him.

You know this is a daft way to set it up. Bruno has maybe played 2 matches at central midfield for us. He is usually way up high. He gives the ball away a lot more than Christian and is more wasteful in his passing because he tries more risky things. thats just a simple fact. 34 times in one match really says it all. But its always been a part of his play and if you play with Bruno you need a very strong defensive midfield behind him.
I'm glad Bruno tries risking passes in the final third because, as we've seen time and time again, there's barely anyone else in our squad capable of creating those kind of openings on a frequent basis.

Good luck playing Eriksen as a number 10 and telling him to channel his inner 2017. Once Ugarte settles in, I would personally prefer to see Eriksen get rotated in for Mainoo vs the weaker opponents. He certainly fills me with more confidence than Mctominay did, but any talk of him benching Bruno is madness.

I'm glad Bruno tries risking passes in the final third because, as we've seen time and time again, there's barely anyone else in our squad capable of creating those kind of openings on a frequent basis.

Good luck playing Eriksen as a number 10 and telling him to channel his inner 2017. Once Ugarte settles in, I would personally prefer to see Eriksen get rotated in for Mainoo vs the weaker opponents. He certainly fills me with more confidence than Mctominay did, but any talk of him benching Bruno is madness.

So am I? I dont want Bruno out of the starting eleven. I just want a proper midfield setup and that means we need someone who can create from deep and is somewhat tidy on the ball and a defensive minded mid. Eriksen is still a good number 10 against the right opponents. He should be rotated in for Bruno when playing Europe or lesser teams. Bruno was played way to much last season. Playing Eriksen as a CM is such a bad move, it only partially works precisely because he is so tidy with his passing, but physically he simply isnt a good fit deeper.

So am I? I dont want Bruno out of the starting eleven. I just want a proper midfield setup and that means we need someone who can create from deep and is somewhat tidy on the ball and a defensive minded mid. Eriksen is still a good number 10 against the right opponents. He should be rotated in for Bruno when playing Europe or lesser teams. Bruno was played way to much last season. Playing Eriksen as a CM is such a bad move, it only partially works precisely because he is so tidy with his passing, but physically he simply isnt a good fit deeper.
I know - I was referring more to a couple of the other posters in this thread who said Bruno needs to be dropped for Eriksen. I would also like to see him rotated in Europa, but ideally for Mount. I prefer seeing Eriksen dictating the tempo from deep.

Eriksen PL assists 76
Bruno PL assists 42

But the notion of playing 32 year old Eriksen ahead of 30 year old Bruno is considered ridiculous. Why?

If I remember correctly, in ETH first season when we played well, Eriksen was very important. After he was injured, our form dropped and never recover since then.

Now in ETH 3rd season, Eriksen is back as regular starter and key player. Our form pick up. The only concern is he is 32 and can't play week in week out.

Don’t know why you get so much slag for your pretty sensible posts. This, though, is exactly what Eriksen also does with even better vision and accuracy if played as a number 10.

Don’t know why you get so much slag for your pretty sensible posts. This, though, is exactly what Eriksen also does with even better vision and accuracy if played as a number 10.
I think that's debatable as we haven't seen it in 6 years. Also, does he have the legs to cover the ground Bruno does? Remember - Bruno doesn't just sit there as a 10, being creative on the ball and doing nothing off the ball.

I've always said he's a good player, but that he's of very limited use in a deeper midfield role.

He'd be miles better in Bruno's role than in some sort of double pivot bollocks role that he really isn't meant for.

(No, I don't mean he'd be miles better than Bruno in Bruno's role - I simply mean that Eriksen is much more suited to a pure AM role than anything else.)

Still a wonderfully talented player on his day, but even at his best he simply doesn't have the legs for anywhere near 90 minutes anymore, he drops off quite severely at around 40.

Great to bring off the bench late on when we need some creativity, or to get on the ball, but him starting isn't sustainable.

Funny how last year we apparently didn't have the midfield, and yet we're suddenly trying to play possession football with two players we had last season. It was criminal how underused Eriksen was last season, especially with how important he was the season before, thankfully we stumbled across him again and found a solution under our nose all along.

If I remember correctly, in ETH first season when we played well, Eriksen was very important. After he was injured, our form dropped and never recover since then.

Now in ETH 3rd season, Eriksen is back as regular starter and key player. Our form pick up. The only concern is he is 32 and can't play week in week out.

My thoughts exactly. Sometimes it takes time for ETH to figure things out that are pretty obvious, but at least he's got there in the end.

feel like his impact getting a bit overblown. Plus we once again saw the return of cutback united, as they prob shouldve had 2 goals on cutbacks. Both players had ages and shouldve just taken a touch and slotted it home. Like him in games against lower european/cup opposition, but would hesitate to use on anything but the lowest of EPL teams