Christian Eriksen Denmark flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Exactly. Why waste minutes on a teenager when we could give them to the 32 year old with the heart condition.
Exactly. Why make use of an experienced player with plenty to offer when we can run a teenager into the ground instead? Personally I think we should be euthanising anyone old enough to know that selfies look stupid, and that all pacemakers should come with an off switch controlled by an 'influencer' with a silly name.

Loads of games we can use his influence over the next few months. League Cup and Europa is the perfect opportunity for game time as I've said in other threads.

He could have a decent season alongside a tackler like Ugarte.

Why is nobody talking about his pass for the Zirkzee chance in 1st half? That was pure orgasm, mot many players can pull this off so easy with such finesse.

I’ve been saying for what is the third year running now, that we play better with Eriksen in the team. Not because he’s our best midfielder, but because he lacks the mobility to implement the managers crazy no midfield system where everyone just runs up front.

Eriksen can’t do that, so he tends to just sit in midfield a lot more than any other player we pick. Shockingly we actually keep the ball better and look a better team when we have actual midfielders playing in….well…..midfield. It’s success by accident, rather than by design. And it’s been that way for the last two years.

Doesn’t hurt that Eriksen is a great passer and reader of the game. Never fear, once Ugarte is ready to start, we’ll be back to no midfielders as he joins the rest of the front six trying to implement a crazy, uncoordinated high line press or create last third overloads, only for the opposition to waltz through the empty midfield on the counter.

Stop it.

We have full squad and this season it will do wonders if we can utilise it instead of breaking players with 3 games a week. Everyone needs to have a part to play and this is where we build a better culture where we are team and we fight for each other.
have a part to play
better culture
fight for each other

you sound like Ole talking about tactics.

Of course you are right, we should be careful with Mainoos minutes to avoid him being burned out. But some of the posts overdo it. In the first half we kind of went in front on the base of a set piece and a lucky shot. Soton was more active and dominant throughout so the lead painted a picture that didn't really fit the actual match. We have done a good job against a rather toothless team today, but drawing conclusions like "just use Eriksen more so Kobbie can learn from him" is just wrong. Eriksens role, if any, should be to come in later in the game and allow others to rest. Not taking any starting positions and taking minutes away from players who need them to potentially improve so they can earn a spot in the starting eleven. We've seen those minutes wasted on McTominay for a year now and now that he is gone, some will just look for another bonfire to burn them.
Exactly. Why make use of an experienced player with plenty to offer when we can run a teenager into the ground instead? Personally I think we should be euthanising anyone old enough to know that selfies look stupid, and that all pacemakers should come with an off switch controlled by an 'influencer' with a silly name.
I think that is a little over eager but overall, happy to see there is some common ground.
Deserves credit, I really thought he was finished but there is a role for him in games we should be dominating the opposition.
I think, the reasonable position was always that some wanted to get rid of him because there is no real point in playing him anymore when those minutes could be used to give valuable experience to players who have more chances to be part of Uniteds actual future. Obviously Eriksen is a fine footballer and will always be able to contribute something, but that was the case for Mata as well at the end. We should be striving to implement a playstyle that often generates comfortable games like today, where the oppositions hope is gone after 45minutes. Unfortunately even today, I didn't think that situation was ultimately down to us doing so much right.

Still a better player than many give him credit for. He's class on the ball and an intelligent user of the ball. If we could find a younger version of him, with legs that can run around, I'd love to have that player. As it stands, we should be using him more than we do.

Eriksens role, if any, should be to come in later in the game and allow others to rest.
that would be quite a waste considering he’s the best passer and reader of the game in the league bar KdB. I think he showed today that he can still turn on a man and get out of tough spots if he has players around him. I’d be happy to see him take Bruno’s place in some games.

It would be nice if ETH gave Bruno and Kobbie a rest sometimes and play Eriksen more. A midfield of Ugarte, Casemiro and Eriksen would work

We simply just play better football when he is on the pitch He just moves better and more intelligently than the others. Gives people options and sees the options quicker than anyone else and just keeps it simple until the opportunity presents itself.

He’s obviously at a stage where he can’t do it every week unless given protection but him given more freedom with Ugarte and Cas on occasion would be good to watch.

have a part to play
better culture
fight for each other

Of course you are right, we should be careful with Mainoos minutes to avoid him being burned out. But some of the posts overdo it. In the first half we kind of went in front on the base of a set piece and a lucky shot. Soton was more active and dominant throughout so the lead painted a picture that didn't really fit the actual match. We have done a good job against a rather toothless team today, but drawing conclusions like "just use Eriksen more so Kobbie can learn from him" is just wrong. Eriksens role, if any, should be to come in later in the game and allow others to rest. Not taking any starting positions and taking minutes away from players who need them to potentially improve so they can earn a spot in the starting eleven. We've seen those minutes wasted on McTominay for a year now and now that he is gone, some will just look for another bonfire to burn them.

I think that is a little over eager but overall, happy to see there is some common ground.

I think, the reasonable position was always that some wanted to get rid of him because there is no real point in playing him anymore when those minutes could be used to give valuable experience to players who have more chances to be part of Uniteds actual future. Obviously Eriksen is a fine footballer and will always be able to contribute something, but that was the case for Mata as well at the end. We should be striving to implement a playstyle that often generates comfortable games like today, where the oppositions hope is gone after 45minutes. Unfortunately even today, I didn't think that situation was ultimately down to us doing so much right.
I sound like ole? No I really don’t. The culture at this club has been the biggest issue over the last 10 years. The players haven’t fought for each other, the manager, the badge even the fans. We need the whole team to realise no one is safe, we will use all players, rotate and play on form. They need to all be on board with that. Get used to it. Eriksen can play his way into the team just like any other player can .its upto them. Now fight for your place.

How were soton more active throughout? They played well first 30 minutes baring in mind we have a team of internationals that have played multiple games and a couple of them even flown half way across the world. They’ve had two weeks to plan and practice for this game. Prepare for it. We hadn’t.

Ugarte didn’t start because he arrived on Thursday, just played two games, has had illness amongst that and hadn’t trained with the team yet. It’s really not that deep that Eriksen started. He’s a squad player, why shouldn’t he? Erik should be able to trust his players and use them when needed. He did a job today. 3 points. Job done.

Soton didn’t have a single shot at goal in the second half. We barely got out of 2nd gear. We can build on it. These players still need a gel for sure but it will come.

have a part to play
better culture
fight for each other

Too much focus on future potential as the quality now is what will win you games.

Mainoo could be one of the greatest midfielders to ever play for United, or he can stall and be about as good as he is now or even decline.

Play youngsters as much as you can when you can, but ultimately you play your best team. Mostly, I think Mainoo is part of that, but history has taught us to be cautios playing young players too much.

I think, the text is fundamentally wrong. We haven't played too well in 22/23 - we played more successful, more or less continueing Ole Ball. Obviously having Eriksen and Casemiro doing it, is better than having Fred and McTominay doing it. Eriksen is a very good footballer, there is no question about it, and we also should make use of him, but he simply has to have a lower squad role and this is not, what I think, many people in this thread are talking about. The guy is worth nothing against the ball and he was up against an eager but inexperienced midfield yesterday, the typical game won't be as easy as that.
that would be quite a waste considering he’s the best passer and reader of the game in the league bar KdB. I think he showed today that he can still turn on a man and get out of tough spots if he has players around him. I’d be happy to see him take Bruno’s place in some games.
I think, that is a crazy exaggeration. I agree on the conclusion though, he definitely could be useful to see games out at the 10 position subbed in for Bruno.
I sound like ole? No I really don’t. The culture at this club has been the biggest issue over the last 10 years. The players haven’t fought for each other, the manager, the badge even the fans. We need the whole team to realise no one is safe, we will use all players, rotate and play on form. They need to all be on board with that. Get used to it. Eriksen can play his way into the team just like any other player can .its upto them. Now fight for your place.
You do. This sound like this hotch potch vague stuff that ex-footballers come up with. Not that it doesn't have its place but acting as if that was the issue in the last 10 years is ridiculous. The issue was burning money with bad recruitment, at least 8 years of ignoring recent trends in football development and a bit of bad luck with some positions. Missing passion is nice but it isn't going to change much when the other stuff isn't rectified.
How were soton more active throughout? They played well first 30 minutes baring in mind we have a team of internationals that have played multiple games and a couple of them even flown half way across the world. They’ve had two weeks to plan and practice for this game. Prepare for it. We hadn’t.
So you question that they were more active yet list reasons why it is just normal for them to be more active? Thats not a hill I am going to die on, we played well but it certainly wasn't a football spectacle that should have people rethink some players role and position within the squad.
Ugarte didn’t start because he arrived on Thursday, just played two games, has had illness amongst that and hadn’t trained with the team yet. It’s really not that deep that Eriksen started. He’s a squad player, why shouldn’t he? Erik should be able to trust his players and use them when needed. He did a job today. 3 points. Job done.

Soton didn’t have a single shot at goal in the second half. We barely got out of 2nd gear. We can build on it. These players still need a gel for sure but it will come.
See above. For the bolded part: as long as the status quo is, that 2nd gear is all we have seen for over a year, I am not able to follow some of the enthusiasm.
Too much focus on future potential as the quality now is what will win you games.
Fair enough, thats something where I won't be able to agree with. I couldn't care less about one positive result here or there at this point, the mission is to form a competitive team in the long run and given that this isn't going to consist of Evans or Eriksen, I don't think we are in a situation where we should prioritize individual results over a long term plan.
I see your point because if results are bad, long term planning becomes very difficult but I think there has to be a balance there.
Mainoo could be one of the greatest midfielders to ever play for United, or he can stall and be about as good as he is now or even decline.
Exactly. And because he could be one of the greatest midfielders, because he has this potential, it is paramount to give him minutes and trust him, even through periods where he doesn't seem to be on top of the game. Obviously that is meant considering not to burn him out but notions ala "lets have him learn from Eriksen that is in the starting lineup" are crazy in my mind.
A similar situation with McTominay over the last years - those minutes were also, to a degree, wasted because we knew, he didn't have the potential to be one of Uniteds greatest midfielders.
Play youngsters as much as you can when you can, but ultimately you play your best team. Mostly, I think Mainoo is part of that, but history has taught us to be cautios playing young players too much.
That is definitely true and my standpoint isn't to bin Eriksen completely to give Mainoo guarantees. I just noticed some takes on here that to me seem to go in the wrong direction - overstating the meaning of a decent to good game with a very good result and what consequences it should have.

When Carrol killed Eriksen we were gutted for a reason, him and Casemiro were a very decent midfield for us. If we could sign a younger version of him I’d be absolutely delighted.

Eriksen is just one of these effortlessly classy players and still has lots to offer- probably just not in a side like we were last season, with no cohesive set up at all. Weve looked tighter this season so who knows, maybe eriksen will also look better, he was good in his first season. I really like him and think he'd do well in lots of top teams that are just a bit more structured. Like i said, we seem far less open this season so hopefully hes one of many that benefit.

I think, the text is fundamentally wrong. We haven't played too well in 22/23 - we played more successful, more or less continueing Ole Ball. Obviously having Eriksen and Casemiro doing it, is better than having Fred and McTominay doing it. Eriksen is a very good footballer, there is no question about it, and we also should make use of him, but he simply has to have a lower squad role and this is not, what I think, many people in this thread are talking about. The guy is worth nothing against the ball and he was up against an eager but inexperienced midfield yesterday, the typical game won't be as easy as that.

I think, that is a crazy exaggeration. I agree on the conclusion though, he definitely could be useful to see games out at the 10 position subbed in for Bruno.

You do. This sound like this hotch potch vague stuff that ex-footballers come up with. Not that it doesn't have its place but acting as if that was the issue in the last 10 years is ridiculous. The issue was burning money with bad recruitment, at least 8 years of ignoring recent trends in football development and a bit of bad luck with some positions. Missing passion is nice but it isn't going to change much when the other stuff isn't rectified.

So you question that they were more active yet list reasons why it is just normal for them to be more active? Thats not a hill I am going to die on, we played well but it certainly wasn't a football spectacle that should have people rethink some players role and position within the squad.

See above. For the bolded part: as long as the status quo is, that 2nd gear is all we have seen for over a year, I am not able to follow some of the enthusiasm.

Fair enough, thats something where I won't be able to agree with. I couldn't care less about one positive result here or there at this point, the mission is to form a competitive team in the long run and given that this isn't going to consist of Evans or Eriksen, I don't think we are in a situation where we should prioritize individual results over a long term plan.
I see your point because if results are bad, long term planning becomes very difficult but I think there has to be a balance there.

Exactly. And because he could be one of the greatest midfielders, because he has this potential, it is paramount to give him minutes and trust him, even through periods where he doesn't seem to be on top of the game. Obviously that is meant considering not to burn him out but notions ala "lets have him learn from Eriksen that is in the starting lineup" are crazy in my mind.
A similar situation with McTominay over the last years - those minutes were also, to a degree, wasted because we knew, he didn't have the potential to be one of Uniteds greatest midfielders.

That is definitely true and my standpoint isn't to bin Eriksen completely to give Mainoo guarantees. I just noticed some takes on here that to me seem to go in the wrong direction - overstating the meaning of a decent to good game with a very good result and what consequences it should have.
Everything you just stated is part of the culture. It’s all linked. You have the best people throughout the club from the top all the way down to breed the culture. Good recruitment is as a result of having the right people within the club to make those decisions. You have the best of everything to ultimately create a top notch footballing culture, every little detail counts at the top level. It isn’t just having a good mentality. It not that straight forward or simple. A top class manager is never enough to create a culture, it’s so much more than that. So yes. Uniteds problem has been just that. Get a good manager and chuck money at players and hope for the best. It’s not even a drop in the ocean. Managers here have all struggled, they all look damaged and done in and it’s all down to culture. Or lack of it. It’s been below standard and lonely for too long being the manager of United. That’s changing.

Uniteds poor culture has been as a result of neglect. That has been ineos’s first and biggest task. Recruitment and not of players. Recruitment of top level people throughout our club to create the correct culture was paramount. Essential.

Nothing hodge podge about it, it’s what I believe. Eriksen getting a game, Johnny Evans, etc etc, are so far from the problem here. It’s small fry.

Regarding the Southampton game, that’s not the point i was making. The point is, there are factors in football and lots of them and they are real. Footballers are people not robots and they can’t play a ridiculous amount of games and not feel it. They will get injuries, they will tire, they won’t play as well as they can do. Rotation is key. It’s not that hard, it’s simple. It’s great we can start a game with Eriksen when it’s needed and pick up 3 points. That’s how we will do well this season. Note I say this season. It’s not a long term vision. It’s where we’re at.

Eriksen, Johnny Evans, Maguire will all leave next summer. We were never going to lose every single player we would rather replace, the fact is.. it’s a process, it will take time, we won’t be ready to challenge for the big trophies yet.. but it will come if we can get the culture right. That’s everything. Build a club that feels good, it feels right. Players come here and they feel protected, supported, loved, valued. They work with the best of the best and feel inspired. That’s how we create a culture. Sounds La La land but it works. For all their flaws and cheating ways, city do that side of things very well. Well run in that regard.

Everything you just stated is part of the culture. It’s all linked. You have the best people throughout the club from the top all the way down to breed the culture. Good recruitment is as a result of having the right people within the club to make those decisions. You have the best of everything to ultimately create a top notch footballing culture, every little detail counts at the top level. It isn’t just having a good mentality. It not that straight forward or simple. A top class manager is never enough to create a culture, it’s so much more than that. So yes. Uniteds problem has been just that. Get a good manager and chuck money at players and hope for the best. It’s not even a drop in the ocean. Managers here have all struggled, they all look damaged and done in and it’s all down to culture. Or lack of it. It’s been below standard and lonely for too long being the manager of United. That’s changing.

Uniteds poor culture has been as a result of neglect. That has been ineos’s first and biggest task. Recruitment and not of players. Recruitment of top level people throughout our club to create the correct culture was paramount. Essential.

Nothing hodge podge about it, it’s what I believe. Eriksen getting a game, Johnny Evans, etc etc, are so far from the problem here. It’s small fry.

Regarding the Southampton game, that’s not the point i was making. The point is, there are factors in football and lots of them and they are real. Footballers are people not robots and they can’t play a ridiculous amount of games and not feel it. They will get injuries, they will tire, they won’t play as well as they can do. Rotation is key. It’s not that hard, it’s simple. It’s great we can start a game with Eriksen when it’s needed and pick up 3 points. That’s how we will do well this season. Note I say this season. It’s not a long term vision. It’s where we’re at.

Eriksen, Johnny Evans, Maguire will all leave next summer. We were never going to lose every single player we would rather replace, the fact is.. it’s a process, it will take time, we won’t be ready to challenge for the big trophies yet.. but it will come if we can get the culture right. That’s everything. Build a club that feels good, it feels right. Players come here and they feel protected, supported, loved, valued. They work with the best of the best and feel inspired. That’s how we create a culture. Sounds La La land but it works. For all their flaws and cheating ways, city do that side of things very well. Well run in that regard.
Lets leave it at that, mate. It is really difficult to answer as some of the Ole day traumas are really kicking in hard.

Just so much: there are so many things you describe with iterations of good and bad and poor and it all makes sense but at the same time, they are very much judged from behind and with the result in mind. The more often such vague things are mentioned, I am often worried whether the actual issues have been understood, whether the actual lessons have been learned. There is a difference about bringing in "the best in class" and "understanding what is needed and bring in the best suited for it". This is what my point is - vague stuff like culture and feeling inspired seem like attempts of describing or explaining things as if they are some sort of magic.

Culture will be worthless if we go out in a year or two and bring in "the best in class" once again because the other "best in class" haven't worked. The mission is understanding what makes the best the best and not trying to catch the ones others deem the best. For now, with Ineos we can't know where we are at. There is enough reason to be positive of course.

Eriksen is just one of these effortlessly classy players and still has lots to offer- probably just not in a side like we were last season, with no cohesive set up at all. Weve looked tighter this season so who knows, maybe eriksen will also look better, he was good in his first season. I really like him and think he'd do well in lots of top teams that are just a bit more structured. Like i said, we seem far less open this season so hopefully hes one of many that benefit.
The way we were set up last season was incredibly bizarre given it was so unsuited to casemiro and eriksen (two of our best players from the previous season). Ten hags management is often odd.

Eriksen struggled at times last season but don't get why he was frozen out so much. It feels like he should have a role to play but that obviously shouldn't be as the deepest midfielder in games against physical midfields

He was fairly good with the ball and it was against the team at the bottom of the table, so provided a good chance for Mainoo to learn to be the almost lone DM with his partner doing little without the ball. I hope we don't try it against teams in the top half of the table

He was fairly good with the ball and it was against the team at the bottom of the table, so provided a good chance for Mainoo to learn to be the almost lone DM with his partner doing little without the ball. I hope we don't try it against teams in the top half of the table
Agree. If Eriksen is allowed to roam freely in central and attacking midfield it’s impossible to cover him all the time - that’s the only way we can use him in top half games and I think it would be worth a try.

Eriksen is a 10, we've spent 2+ years trying to shoehorn him into an 8 position and then saying he isn't good enough. I don't think he can press the way Ten Hag wants his 10 to press though.

I agree that he is KDBesque in his vision and passing. But he's not a running and tackling midfielder.

I loved the comment above that his main attribute is his legs are gone so he can't be a part of the no midfield nonsense as he doesn't have the legs to get up top and be our 6th attacking presser.

He was very good with the ball and his ability to retain it was a huge factor in us out-possessing a team that has averaged about 68% possession this season. He was roaming to the left a lot in the first half hour, but Ten Hag was yelling at him and Mainoo to play closer together, after which we were unstoppable.

Should Eriksen play every game? No. Is downplaying his ability and impact a sensible take? Also no. We're a much better team with Eriksen in it playing well than otherwise.

The real crime was letting Spurs sign him. Now it's too late, we can't rely on him too much anymore. But he's a classy midfielder and always has been.

Glad he’s still doing well. Surprised me a bit, and a good few of us here probably

Midfield I’d like to see tomorrow:

Eriksen

Collyer Ugarte

Let's get the scouts on Angel Gomes. He might be a good replacement for Eriksen. He has a similar trajectory in that he's played CAM, CM and is now used as a DM.
We clearly could use an Eriksen profile still in the squad. Gomes could be the cheap solution.
I reckon he also starts ahead of Kobbie.

Let's get the scouts on Angel Gomes. He might be a good replacement for Eriksen. He has a similar trajectory in that he's played CAM, CM and is now used as a DM.
We clearly could use an Eriksen profile still in the squad. Gomes could be the cheap solution.
I reckon he also starts ahead of Kobbie.

The Angel Gomes love-in, based on two facile international matches versus minimal opposition, is getting a bit much, to be honest.

Maybe keep an eye out but by no means prioritise.

The Angel Gomes love-in, based on two facile international matches versus minimal opposition, is getting a bit much, to be honest.

Maybe keep an eye out but by no means prioritise.
Hence my mention of the scouts keeping looking at him. Maybe and opportunity, maybe not, We'll see.

My fear is the level of control we had on Saturday was down to having two players very comfortable on the ball in Eriksen and Mainoo in midfield. I really hope we can have the same level of comfort when Ugarte, Casemiro and Collyer come in.

Look at that pass from Eriksen. That chance doesnt get created if he doesnt play, that ball probably gets passed backwards/sideways.

What I’ve allways wondered is why would he not be able to do the Tony Kroos deep lying playmaker role if surrounded by mainoo/ugarte type workhorses? I suppose it’s down to us playing a 10?

He always has a performance in him, but he just can't repeat it every week...but he has proved enough to be used somewhat regularly this season, especially against teams in the bottom half of the table.